Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's With All The Poo?

• 05-12-2019 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭

So not long in from a walk, 30 minutes or so, some neighboring streets and estates around Sligo, and you are literally at times dodging the dog feces on the pavements.

Now I know there are ones out there who do not clear up after their dogs, but this looks like there are also plenty or don't even walk their dogs and let them roam, with Bruno, Patch, Nipper, only coming home to sleep, and eat.

Ideas for a solution? Mine, let the Dog Warden track down these owners, if the dog is in the Wardens possession, fine the owner €500 to get the dog back. Second offence, or refuses to pay, dog is fostered to a new owner who might actually care for it.

Thoughts from anyone else on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It’s annual Cat Protest Week. Cats are going around ****ting everywhere so dogs get blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The solution is less breeders, less dogs and better humans. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Ideas for a solution? Mine, let the Dog Warden track down these owners, if the dog is in the Wardens possession, fine the owner €500 to get the dog back. Second offence, or refuses to pay, dog is fostered to a new owner who might actually care for it.

Dog pounds are completely overloaded and so are dog rescue charities.
    €500? most of those dogs would be put to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Put a cap on dogs in areas. As I type this I can see 10 houses from my window. 8 of them have dogs and 6 of those I see regularly letting their dogs **** on the floor. The part I don't understand is the amount of doggie bags thrown around the place. You've done the hard part by picking up the turd why not carry the bag to the bin? I'd say there's more houses in my town (pop 15000) with dogs than without. It's not just **** it's barking at night, blocking the footpath, the stench off some of them is like a dead rat. Council, get the finger out we've had enough.

Put a cap on dogs in areas.

Unenforceable.

• Advertisement

It's not just **** it's barking at night, blocking the footpath, the stench off some of them is like a dead rat. Council, get the finger out we've had enough.

that's enough about Cork people, what about the dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s just another symptom of the ‘someone else can do it’ mentality that is so prevalent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A nappy would be better than a cap for the poo crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Two neighbours here let their 'fur babies' out twice a day to litter everyone else's garden and the green area. Always late at night or early hours.

They aren't bothered taking the dogs for a walk and don't want the hassle of cleaning crap from their own garden.

Council and litter wardens etc do not want to know. I have asked the owners nicely to stop but they have no shame. Council will not do a thing, so I keep just having to clean dog shi* from shoes, bikes and buggies.

It's disgusting and the height of laziness and inconsideration. It's a health hazard and our green space is a no go area now.

I have footage which I've offered to the council but they don't want it and don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

And a dainty little bonnet on cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Dog cork stoppers :D:D:D:D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I always thought that something like this would be handy in my s**t covered estate: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9114298/council-to-dna-test-dog-poo-to-prosecute-irresponsible-owners-who-dont-clear-up-mess/

Walking there in the dark or after snowfall is like walking through a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Because op, despite what people may say to give a sense of how morally upstanding they are... people really don't give a bollocks.
    But here is the kicker, some dogwalker wont care about his or her dog taking a big crap for someone else to walk in. But will take a big issue with you not cleaning up after your dogs mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I always thought that something like this would be handy in my s**t covered estate: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9114298/council-to-dna-test-dog-poo-to-prosecute-irresponsible-owners-who-dont-clear-up-mess/

Walking there in the dark or after snowfall is like walking through a minefield.

Slight problem with that, Gwen. Can't see many of the dirty bastards signing up for it.
    It only works if owners agree to have their dogs swabbed in order to have their DNA added to the database.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Slight problem with that, Gwen. Can't see many of the dirty bastards signing up for it.

What if we made it to be a mandatory part of dog license application? Something like T&C's you have to agree with when applying for it. I'm sure there's something like that for dog vaccinations, dog poop is also a public health issue.

Don't get me wrong, I am under no illusions that it would actually become a real thing here in Ireland, but a girl can dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So not long in from a walk, 30 minutes or so, some neighboring streets and estates around Sligo, and you are literally at times dodging the dog feces on the pavements.

Now I know there are ones out there who do not clear up after their dogs, but this looks like there are also plenty or don't even walk their dogs and let them roam, with Bruno, Patch, Nipper, only coming home to sleep, and eat.

There's your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The sh1t everywhere is just another symptom of our society and where it has gone.
    No different to all the littering, fly tipping or wearing pyjamas everywhere, it’s a signal that people don’t care about the society around them and have respect for nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Aegir wrote: »
    that's enough about Cork people, what about the dogs?
    I thought this thread was about Cork people? **** I'm in the wrong thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭mrskinner

If Fido makes a deposit in your place then you are obliged to return this to the address of Fido’s owner.

Call it dirt tax!

Two neighbours here let their 'fur babies' out twice a day to litter everyone else's garden and the green area. Always late at night or early hours.

They aren't bothered taking the dogs for a walk and don't want the hassle of cleaning crap from their own garden.

Council and litter wardens etc do not want to know. I have asked the owners nicely to stop but they have no shame. Council will not do a thing, so I keep just having to clean dog shi* from shoes, bikes and buggies.

It's disgusting and the height of laziness and inconsideration. It's a health hazard and our green space is a no go area now.

I have footage which I've offered to the council but they don't want it and don't care.

mrskinner makes a good point. Couldn't you post it into their letterbox?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

_Brian wrote: »
    The sh1t everywhere is just another symptom of our society and where it has gone.

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as it used to be. Twenty or thirty years ago, you wouldn't have seen dog owners going around carrying little bags of shite, looking for a bin. Also, dogs roaming the streets, shitting wherever they please - that's another thing you don't see much nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It’s annual Cat Protest Week. Cats are going around ****ting everywhere so dogs get blamed.

Cats bury and hide their sh1t.
    The old barkers eggs are laid slap bang in the middle of the pavement exactly where you're going to walk.

Lazy owners as per usual. Either they're not arsed picking up while walkies, or perhaps its the "free range" dog that goes for walks by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why would you put a cap on dogs ? What can it achieve?

Aside from making them look ridiculous ?

d1e421420a7e42dd13b22d368713351d.jpg

tuxy wrote: »
    mrskinner makes a good point. Couldn't you post it into their letterbox?

Oh I'd love to or pebble dash their house for free but I'm afraid that I would be the one in trouble if caught.

Completely respectable people by outwardly appearances (which is why they only do it when they think nobody is around) they stand there watching the dogs do it before they turn in for the night.

Lazy scum, cleaning turds out of mountain bike tyres is not fun and I'd love to rub their irresponsible faces in it. I feel sorry for their pets to be honest.

Sorry for the rant, it just boils my blood. I have contacted the council after getting no joy from the owners, they don't give a sh*t either pardon the pun!

Local kids here trying to be active and get outdoors to play while rolling around in dog faeces, it's absolutely disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Every morning, a very well-to-do woman used to let her Pomeranian crap on the pavement outside my grandparents' house. I'm sure it wasn't a deliberate act - the dog just seemed to like doing his business there, and she didn't like cleaning it up. Anyway, my grandad (who had a lot of time on his hands after he retired, and never really knew what to do with himself) went full 'Victor Meldrew' one morning. He sat in wait, like he was on some kind of stakeout, and when the inevitable happened, he ran out, scooped it into a bag and followed her up the street into the local newsagent. He politely tapped her on the shoulder, handed her the bag and said "excuse me, I'm very sorry but you seem to have forgotten your shit".

I always loved the fact that he used the word 'your', rather than 'your dog', thus transferring ownership of the shite onto her.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭galwayguy85

For years, I lived on Cork’s Blarney Street - Ireland‘s longest street as a matter of fact.

Despite this I liked to to refer to it as ‘The Brown Mile’. People on this street simply don’t have back gardens to let their dogs do whatever it might be that needs doing.

Every morning, a very well-to-do woman used to let her Pomeranian crap on the pavement outside my grandparents' house. I'm sure it wasn't a deliberate act - the dog just seemed to like doing his business there, and she didn't like cleaning it up. Anyway, my grandad (who had a lot of time on his hands after he retired, and never really knew what to do with himself) went full 'Victor Meldrew' one morning. He sat in wait, like he was on some kind of stakeout, and when the inevitable happened, he ran out, scooped it into a bag and followed her up the street into the local newsagent. He politely tapped her on the shoulder, handed her the bag and said "excuse me, I'm very sorry but you seem to have forgotten your shit".

I always loved the fact that he used the word 'your', rather than 'your dog', thus transferring ownership of the shite onto her.

I like your grandads style! Might try that....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Ah, I wondered why my moggies' litter trays were needing less scooping this week. The sly feckers...

Advertisement