Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

You learn something new everyday.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Kylta wrote: »
    Just had a shave, was thinkin maybe it might be safer for you to get rid of unwanted/wanted hair. If your mask falls people might think you big foot or little foot depending on how big you are

It will be a relief from the constant attention my beauty gets normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

zanador wrote: »
    It will be a relief from the constant attention my beauty gets normally.

So the hair is to keep unwanted admirers away. Interesting, now and its peaking my curiosity to see such beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Kylta wrote: »
    So the hair is to keep unwanted admirers away. Interesting, now and its peaking my curiosity to see such beauty.

Do you know Chewbacca?

zanador wrote: »
    Do you know Chewbacca?

Is that before or after the shave?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Various Germans tried to assassinate Hitler over 20 times down the years.
    The Allies never even tried to knock him off once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jaysus Christ.

Hitlers favourite assassin and all round SS bad guy bought and lived on a farm in Kildare for many years. Otto Skorzeny

Hitlers favourite assassin and all round SS bad guy bought and lived on a farm in Kildare for many years. Otto Skorzeny
    Hell of a soldier though. There were two Irish men who served in the SS during WWII. very interesting story about how it all came about.
    https://www.mercierpress.ie/irish-books/hitlers_irishmen/

main-qimg-4a776c16962c705758743a90a9ae2281.webp
    The first meeting of US and Russian troops on the River Elbe in Germany as the two armies converged towards the end of WWII.

Stalin later had the Russian soldiers executed for fraternising with the enemy.

Fed up with Stalin sending people to kill him and failing 22 times. Tito president of Yugoslavia sent a letter to Stalin saying “Stop sending people to kill me. We've already captured five of them, one of them with a bomb and another with a rifle If you don't stop sending killers, I'll send one to Moscow, and I won't have to send a second.”

Stalin never sent another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

At the age of 47 and 3/4, today I ate my first doughnut, and I learned that they are completely overrated and not particularly nice.

• Advertisement

I learnt yesterday I was uncivil

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

iamstop wrote: »
    There is a tick-borne disease you can contract that makes you allergic to red meat!

https://www.popsci.com/alpha-gal-tick-borne-disease/

There was an episode of RadioLab all about that.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/alpha-gal

C635

I learned that the reason I'm having misfires is that my points have closed up. Tomorrow I'm planning to learn about "dwell angle".

C635

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Conway635 wrote: »
    I learned that the reason I'm having misfires is that my points have closed up. Tomorrow I'm planning to learn about "dwell angle".

C635

Is this in relation to 3D printing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’d never heard of him before you posted.
    Bit of a James Bond character!

iamstop wrote: »
    Is this in relation to 3D printing?

No, it's a much older technology (troubleshooting an issue on 1957 Ford sidevalve engine).

C635

Been a long time fan of funk music. Only found out today that Dayton, Ohio is considered by many to be the capital of funk!

https://www.ozy.com/the-new-and-the-next/how-the-capital-of-funk-is-fighting-to-keep-its-legacy-alive/94512/

Average life expectancy of a radio operator in a firefight in Vietnam war was 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

I learned that "ensemble forecasting" is a thing

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114984918

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Funny how your post doesn't indicate intelligence but does indicate a lack of knowledge and education. You didn't even actually say what people are brainwashed about. Your inability to make a valid point may indicate not that other people are stupid but you cannot understand them. Most people have varying opinions neither stupid nor smart but just a different view. If I don't agree with you it doesn't make me stupid. If I know more than you it doesn't make you stupid however if you are unable to grasp a principle or concept whether you agree or not you would be stupid.

That reminded me of the last verse in 8 mile 😂

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Average life expectancy of a radio operator in a firefight in Vietnam war was 30 seconds.

First target was the radio operator, second was the medic. Then move on to the officers and NCOs if you can identify them. I'm not sure when it started, but that's still standard procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

there are real idiots in our community just read a personal issue about a girl who is lonely and an idiot told her to have a child by a sperm donor FFS

Today I learned where the name Porter come from for the style of beer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_(beer)

I also learned that Baltic Porter was names because brewers in places like Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland, Poland and Russia adopted the style but were brewing in colder conditions using German bottom fermentation which is suited for colder brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

seagull wrote: »
    First target was the radio operator, second was the medic. Then move on to the officers and NCOs if you can identify them. I'm not sure when it started, but that's still standard procedure.

I thought, medics would be off limits for obvious reasons, do they still wear the red cross on the sleeve or is that just Hollywood films, imagine hearing you're the one doing the radio for the day, poor cnuts

I thought, medics would be off limits for obvious reasons, do they still wear the red cross on the sleeve or is that just Hollywood films, imagine hearing you're the one doing the radio for the day, poor cnuts
    I think it was a full time post, radio man.
    Those radio packs used to put out a lot of radiation and still do. There are still radio men in the US who come back from Iraq, Afghanistan etc. with really bad permanent alopecia or a white 'skunk stripe' in their hair like a mohican.

Johnny Cash joined the Air Force at 18 and was stationed in Bavaria. His job was to intercept morse code messages and he was so good at it that he was promoted to the top man intercepting chatter from the Soviet Union.
    When news of Stalin's death began to break, Johnny was on duty and became the first American to hear about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

seagull wrote: »

That's a very old tactic.
    At the battle of waterloo for example english skirmishers equipped with rifles(a cutting edge technology) were to specifically snipe for officers, despatch riders, signal men, and did so to good effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Making batter with 7up is the only way to go.

Unreal level of fluffy and crispy at same time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think it was a full time post, radio man.
    Those radio packs used to put out a lot of radiation and still do. There are still radio men in the US who come back from Iraq, Afghanistan etc. with really bad permanent alopecia or a white 'skunk stripe' in their hair like a mohican.
    They were battery operated so not much power.

Advertisement