Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you be offended ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

OP your colleague needs to get over himself.

He'd be offended by your username too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

He'd be offended by your username too!

Trust me he needn't be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Instead of God bless, just say fvck you very much.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

By God.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

drogon. wrote: »
    So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

Would you be offended, should I stop saying it ?

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance

Make a complaint to your manager about him taking th ename of your lord in vain as it's also offensive to you. Works both ways.

He is taking the piss as if he really is an atheist then the term GOD has no meaning to him. So how can he be offended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭jmreire

Make a complaint to your manager about him taking th ename of your lord in vain as it's also offensive to you. Works both ways.

He is taking the piss as if he really is an atheist then the term GOD has no meaning to him. So how can he be offended?

If he is so easily offended by some one saying "God Bless", don't worry,, he ( and people like him) will find something to be offended by...:rolleyes: Its what make's him happy.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,771 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Finish every conversation instead with ‘up Leitrim’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation. Recently a colleague of mine complained to my manager saying that he was offended I use that term - Sighting he is an atheists.

Honestly not a big religious man myself, but the manager just told me to stop saying that to him to avoid escalating conflict.

The guy also uses the name of our Lord in vain all the time, when cursing. What would you suppose I should do ? Looking for some guidance

I'm an atheist. I'm not offended by 'god bless'.
    And who gives a xxxx if he's offended....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If I were an atheist, I wouldn't be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

branie2 wrote: »
    If I were an atheist, I wouldn't be offended.

I'm at best agnostic and I really don't care what deity you decide to sign off with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I'm a life long atheist and I say for God's sake as a polite version of ffs and if an older person says God bless I always say God bless you back. This is not an atheist this is dick who happens to be an atheist. On behalf of athiests I can say we had a meeting and we apologise for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Sounds like an insufferable arsehole that should be avoided at all costs.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get you a water pistol. Fill with holy water.

Try it from behind. If they spontaneously combust and collapse into a pile of ashes, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No I wouldn't be offended. But then I'm not a pri@k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Get you a water pistol. Fill with holy water.

Try it from behind. If they spontaneously combust and collapse into a pile of ashes, problem solved.

Does that work with atheists? I thought you had to throw them into a lake to see if they float?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Start just saying "goodbye" to him smug in the knowledge that it's origins are actually "God be with you" so it's essentially the same thing.

He sounds like an absolute jerk but upsetting such an entitled whinger would probably only make pain for yourself long-term, these people just aren't worth it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yester wrote: »
    Does that work with atheists? I thought you had to throw them into a lake to see if they float?

So, logically--
    - If she weighs the same as a duck...
    - she's made of wood.
    - And therefore?
    - A witch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

So, logically--
    - If she weighs the same as a duck...
    - she's made of wood.
    - And therefore?
    - A witch!

Post Reported - my other half self identifies as a witch and is not a plank.

:D /coat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I'm not religious but God Bless sounds so good. I figure I could resort to "Dog bless" and thus avoid any controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

About 5 years ago I stopped saying "bless you" when people sneezed in the workplace, this was deliberate to offend people who get offended by everything else like wanting 4 or 5 different designations of toilet available. I also deliberately fill in staff surveys with "non assigned gender" and other bollixologies that HR add to surveys to not offend people and spend their time making the workplace in to a bloody eggshellised kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pray for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Why don't you just mess his head up altogether. Don't speak to him in work ( unless its work related). But when he's near you whisper biblical quotes, should fcck his head up that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Answered your own question there really. Your manager asked you to stop saying it to this particular guy to avoid conflict. If you continued saying it to him when you know it irritates him, then you’re doing what your manager asked you not to do.

No issues with it myself, but if I was irritated by something and I let the person know, I shouldn’t have to go to their manager to make a complaint. They should have the cop on too to know themselves it’s not a big deal not to say it, without having to have it explained to them by management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Just say "As-Salaam-Alaikum," the Arabic greeting meaning "Peace be unto you,"

Left wing douchebags can't cope with being anti God and anti Minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation.

I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

In fairness Atheists should just shake their head slightly in smug superiority at people referring to their imaginary friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

In my workplace of 40 people we have 3 people that are jehovah's and the bosses are protestant, most of rest of staff are catholic and a few of us including myself atheist...

All of us get on fantastic and we have been known to have religious conversations in canteen.... everybody gets on and we have good laughs.

OP situation sounds like a right dick head. I'd be telling that person to go f#@k himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Demand in return they stop saying "goodbye" given it is derived from "God be with you!" and say you want Thursday off work because it is Thorsday and you are so offended to have to be held to ancient theistic norms.

Or go the total opposite direction and tell him to go watch Neil DeGrasse Tyson talk about the phrase "God speed". That should shake him out of his idiocy.

Ask for Wednesday (Woden) and Friday (Friya) off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

So I always have this habit of saying "God Bless" at the end of a conversation.

I wouldn’t be offended but after a while would find it incredibly irritating and we would fall out ! :(
    Incredibly annoying even imagining it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

He has no right to comment on god bless, that's ridiculous. Also its no business of yours if he takes the lords name in vain.

If you have been told not to say it by your manager then stop saying it. It's ridiculous but some times in work you have to ridiculous things.

I am an atheist and I wouldn't even think to be offended by that. Religion is nothing to do with work so I wouldn't bring it in as he is doing.

This is bollocks. People who take "offence" are just manufacturing a standoff and should not be entertained, humoured or tolerated. The boss is simply appeasing this twat by urging the OP to desist. Well I say "FCUK THAT!". The "offended" party should be told "Tough luck, you created this impasse just to get someone to back down. Well the only person who is going to have to back down is you."

Better still the "offended" fool should be told that he too must not use any words that could be tied to religion or he will find himself in trouble. He'd better avoid using words/phrases like "the heavens opened", "holy sh1t/cow/Moses", "patience of a saint", etc. He must make no reference to Christmas, Easter, St. Patrick's Day.

That should give the prick food for thought.

Advertisement