Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beggars sitting outside shops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

riclad wrote: »
    There are people living in tents on the street s,
    there are people sleeping on the streets at night with just a sleeping bag .why are they not living in a hotel.
    i presume its because they use drugs or else the do not want to live with other people,
    hotels for the hotels have rules,
    you have to go out at 12 noon, you need to come back before 11.30 pm.
    does each homeless person get one room to themselves.
    i do not know .

The hostels are full of drugs and drug addicts, are frequently raided and can be violent. That's why many prefer to steer clear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

messrs wrote: »
    No not for cocooning. DCC have for the past few years had a number of them apartments taken for homeless but now they have the whole building for them

I think Staycity are holiday apartments, when the pandemic presented , I'm nearly certain they were taken up by DCC in conjunction with the HSE to take homeless off the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Mules wrote: »
    The hostels are full of drugs and drug addicts, are frequently raided and can be violent. That's why many prefer to steer clear of them.

I work in hostels , frequently raided and violent is an exaggeration.

Not according to a woman I know who has lived in one. Although that one may have been particularly bad.

Not according to a woman I know who has stayed in one. Although that one may have been particularly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Ah well I was of the same opinion. Do not give them nothing do not feel addiction and such. Only till I met and talked with one addict.
    Now I give them some small change when I have some as it is much better when they can get enough by begging than going around stealing or offering sexual services.

I prefer to see them in front of a shop rather than trying your back door in the middle of the night.

On a side note it may be worth to discuss decriminalizing and legalizing drug use. That may reduce begging problem significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Why are DCC not obliged to reserve 10% for private rental. Seems to be obligatory the other way around.

A tongue in cheek observation, obviously.

They are mainly short term lets - along the likes of AirBNB - so people coming to Dub would book in just for weekend or few days - self catering apartments but serviced like hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I knew someone who worked with the homeless and they said "Fu*k them, can't fu*king help them" - funny isn't it? - but society doesn't wanna hear that tho. People will say ah help the poor homeless and the homeless should have services. Sure some sort themselves out but fact is most don't.

I know someone who was homeless when they were younger (going back to the 60s/70s) and they often said how "people will give you nothing" ...

Sure if I sat down on O'Connell Street bridge for 8 hours and if everyone gave me 5c who past by, I'd be taking it in. But that doesn't happen because most don't give. Fair enough. But you see threads like this where people go on about how they give, blah blah blah lies. Sure some people genuinely give but MORE people like to lie and say they give. An undying need to come off as "a good person" in the eyes of others.

/Rant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Covieland

If you give homeless people money you are either helping them buy alcohol, drugs or funding organised crime,

I know I know hopefully it's only alcohol

patnor1011 wrote: »
    On a side note it may be worth to discuss decriminalizing and legalizing drug use. That may reduce begging problem significantly.

There is zero logic in that.

How has legalising anything reduced its demand?
    If you dont reduce the demand, how will it reduce the price?
    if you dont reduce its price, how will you reduce the need to beg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

How do legal drugs stop people begging, junkies register, they go to a clinic and get free drugs.
    Begging is not organised,
    It's random homeless people looking for money , is it money to buy drugs or beer or cigarettes, I do not know.
    In America where drugs are to some extent legal there's still people begging
    Eg there are shops that sell marijuana
    Also illegal drugs may be cheaper
    Drug dealers do not charge 20 per cent vat
    Drug dealers do not have to pay insurance or rates or taxes

riclad wrote: »
    junkies register, they go to a clinic and get free drugs.

Thats the second time you have said that and it remains absolutely untrue. Where are you getting that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

No excuse to be homeless in Ireland, you can get a HAP payment almost immediately after you get your name on the housing list. Not sure how genuine homeless people come about being homeless in the first place ? Social welfare has an emergency payment while your waiting on a decision from them to grant you... If you have no means they will give it to you.

These groups of non nationals begging are organised groups with a ring leader. Sick looking at them rotating their 'door' duty at the same few shops around my area. They surely have their HAP and social welfare payments.

There was one Irish guy that I would see sitting around a small shop in Rathfarnham, well spoken chap and he seemed genuine. I occasionally dropped a euro or 2 into his cup. 3 years later and he is still sitting there so I assume now he is a waster and got use to begging so I never go near him anymore. Saw him the other day dancing outside the shop with headphones with his cup in hand... He seemed pissed or on something..

They surely have their HAP and social welfare payments.

If you read the thread you would see this has been addressed multiple times. To get access to social welfare you need a PPS number, to get a PPS number you need to show you are genuinely able to care for yourself for the duration of your stay in Ireland*

*This is in fact an EU directive that is enforced in all EU states. Try and claim welfare in spain, France or Germany and see what happens as well. The Brexit nonsense needs to be let go with Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Mules wrote: »

My friend lived in one for 2 years (homeless)
    Was never raided, although there was drugs and SOMETIMES fights broke out.
    He has plenty of videos on his phone though of drug addicts shooting up.

He told me his only worry staying in them places was his stuff getting robbed.
    Most of the addicts in the place were to out of there face to be violent. But they would robbed the runners off your feet if they could.
    He had to tie his laces tight going to bed as he had 2 incideneces of people trying to take his runners while sleeping.

Thought he was messing with me but he was very serious.

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    He had to tie his laces tight going to bed as he had 2 incideneces of people trying to take his runners while sleeping.

Thought he was messing with me but he was very serious.

Best to remove runners and tie laces tight to wrists TBH.

Again no. I dunno why it needs to be repeated constantly but Gypsies and in fact no person can just rock into Ireland and voila, welfare.

I know biased propaganda would have us believe that but its not true. I am married to a foreign national, my children are not Irish. Its not that simple.

Very few Gypsies have PPS numbers because they have no interest in legitimate work and want to stay off the official radar. Its a mission to obtain their Romanian (Or other) ID cards off them sometimes.

Now if they really thought longterm, they could arrive with money in the bank and a place in a language school, get a PPS and then get a job long enough to qualify for welfare. Possible some do but they arent the ones I have met

Thats incorrect. While the rate is very very low, there is a nominal fee involved for single people to obtain a place in a homeless shelter outside of the emergency ones. Theres also a curfew or the bed goes elsewhere.

If you reckon loads of gypsies aren't on HAP & social welfare you are a true loony. There are Gypsy kids at school in Ireland.

Augeo wrote: »
    If you reckon loads of gypsies aren't on HAP & social welfare you are a true loony. There are Gypsy kids at school in Ireland.

As there is Polish, Chinese, Brazilian, Spanish, French, Swedish. Are the parents begging? Are they on welfare?

Kids in school doesnt prove any of that in the slightest and Im genuinely baffled how you jump from seeing a foreign kid in school to lazy welfare sponging bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I asked one if they wanted a drink or sandwich once when going into a shop and I was met with a look of disgust and a "No" as if I had just offended them. Another time I was on the phone as I walked into the shop. I was trying to find out what I needed to pick up, when the fella begging called me an ignorant bastard. I really haven't had any good experience with them, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

A guy in my town sits outside shops every day begging yet he has a house a little bit up the road from where I live.

He obviously gets his dole and more yet still does it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

If you read the thread you would see this has been addressed multiple times. To get access to social welfare you need a PPS number, to get a PPS number you need to show you are genuinely able to care for yourself for the duration of your stay in Ireland*

*This is in fact an EU directive that is enforced in all EU states. Try and claim welfare in spain, France or Germany and see what happens as well. The Brexit nonsense needs to be let go with Brexit.
    Addressed multiple times by you ....
    Do you actually believe the bit in bold is enforced in Ireland? We have a very sizeable cohort of Roma Gypies living in social housing in Ireland. They will admit it themselves that the majority of them do not work, and many of these people are involved in illegal activities and organised begging all around Ireland.

There is a saying about pissing in our faces and telling us that it's raining; that is apt in this situation.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Addressed multiple times by you ....
    Do you actually believe the bit in bold is enforced in Ireland? We have a very sizeable cohort of Roma Gypies living in social housing in Ireland. They will admit it themselves that the majority of them do not work, and many of these people are involved in illegal activities and organised begging all around Ireland.

There is a saying about pissing in our faces and telling us that it's raining; that is apt in this situation.

Having gone through the system multiple times and seen people around me do it plenty of times more, yes I do.

Again, you are equating 2 separate items.

What's your evidence for your statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

I read a few pages of this thread and i'm confused as to why people aren't just walking by them not acknowledging them with headphones in like any normal person.

Having gone through the system multiple times and seen people around me do it plenty of times more, yes I do.

Again, you are equating 2 separate items.

Are you a Roma gypsy looking for a PPS number or HAP?

Where's your evidense that Roma gypsies who are on the street begging aren't in receipt of HAP? Or any other people on the streets begging as this isn't just about Roma gypsies.

Are you a Roma gypsy looking for a PPS number or HAP?

Again, if you bothereed your arse to read the full thread you would see my wife and children were not born in Ireland and had to go through the system at various stages.

I have also helped her friends and associates as need be. If you stalked me and thankfully it appears you do not, I have posted about renting a room to foreign nationals including south Americans, etc over the years and assisting them.
    Where's your evidense that Roma gypsies who are on the street begging aren't in receipt of HAP? Or any other people on the streets begging as this isn't just about Roma gypsies.

First up, you want me to prove a negative? You should know this cant be achieved and is a silly request.

Second, I refered very specifically to Gypsies obtaining PPS numbers. Dont move the goalposts.

Third, I have no doubt that Irish beggers are in reciept of welfare as they have an automatic right to a PPS number and state aid. Again thats irelevent and a pretty obvious attempt to move the goalposts.

Fourth, I speak from personal experience working with Gypsies and other beggers including Irish alongside homeless charities, embassies and social welfare departments. This I cannot prove, so its for you to accept at face value or not.

Now, proof to backup your actual statement?

Again, if you bothereed your arse to read the full thread you would see my wife and children were not born in Ireland and had to go through the system at various stages.

I have also helped her friends and associates as need be. If you stalked me and thankfully it appears you do not, I have posted about renting a room to foreign nationals including south Americans, etc over the years and assisting them.

First up, you want me to prove a negative? You should know this cant be achieved and is a silly request.

Second, I refered very specifically to Gypsies obtaining PPS numbers. Dont move the goalposts.

Third, I have no doubt that Irish beggers are in reciept of welfare as they have an automatic right to a PPS number and state aid. Again thats irelevent and a pretty obvious attempt to move the goalposts.

Fourth, I speak from personal experience working with Gypsies and other beggers including Irish alongside homeless charities, embassies and social welfare departments. This I cannot prove, so its for you to accept at face value or not.

Now, proof to backup your actual statement?

Nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

showpony1 wrote: »
    I read a few pages of this thread and i'm confused as to why people aren't just walking by them not acknowledging them with headphones in like any normal person.

Because punching down on those on the lowest rungs of the ladder is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tony EH wrote: »
    Because punching down on those on the lowest rungs of the ladder is more important.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Appreciate the feedback. I often wonder why homeless people choose where they do to bunk down for the night. I would be terrified to sleep in the doorway of a main business street. I understand that shelter from the rain is a priority hence sleeping in a place under an awning or some kind of protection but there must be thousands of spots in the city where you could be sheltered and not have the worry of some thug attacking you or urinating on you in your sleep. I think I would sneak into the grounds of a church after dark and hopefully find a dry spot. It would be quiet and no passersby to fcuk with you. You wouldn't have the cacophony of delivery trucks and stuff like that rumbling around you at 7am.

I would challenge anyone to take to the streets for a few weeks and practise what they preach. You have the clothes on your back, a sleeping bag and maybe 5 or 10 euros. You can't call any rich uncle for help to put you up in the Shelbourne. Your first 3 nights you HAVE to sleep rough. So the 10 euros goes towards something to eat. After that it's beginning to get dark and you need to find a place to sleep. You've called the freefone number but it's too late because all the available beds are taken. So you decide on the GPO. You don't get a wink of sleep (try sleeping on your kitchen floor with the doors open, the lights on and the radio playing...but at least you won't have to worry about getting kicked in the head by drunken scrotes going home from the club in your kitchen). You get up at 8am, shivering, knackered and nauseous. Oh and now you need to take a massive sh1t. Where does that happen? You try McDonallds but security refuse you entry. You try a few more places with the same result and eventually resort to a back alley. Newspaper to do the wiping. 3 or 4 days of that and you're going to look and smell pretty ripe. But now it's time to get one of those jobs that are so easy to come by. Do you rock up to the IFSC and stroll into the lobby of JP Morgan and ask for an application form? Walk into a restaurant, bar, retail outlet? Good luck with that.In the meantime you need money for food. Where does that come from. So you get a free sandwich and a cup of tea/soup...great. Try living on tea and a processed sandwich with no fruit or vegetables for a few days and see how you look. See how your skin is, your bowels, your eyes. Then go for that interview stinking to high heaven with no fixed abode.

I'm sure they'll throw a 20 grand signing-on bonus at you, replete with company car, use of the corporate box at Anfield and a generous remuneration package.

Thank you for this reality.

Advertisement