Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beggars sitting outside shops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    You just keep proving how awful you are.
    One of the worst posters on boards.

Less of the “personals” there, A.

I’m sorry that you don’t agree with helping fellow humans in need but I was brought up to believe that charity is a cornerstone of our “society”.

It’s fine though, if you don’t want to give any spare change to some poor unfortunate that is your “business”.

I’m sure you don’t give it a second thought as you tuck into a mug of cold beans and considers putting on another “layer” so as to avoid having to turn on the heating.

You do you, A. You do you.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Less of the “personals” there, A.

I’m sorry that you don’t agree with helping fellow humans in need but I was brought up to believe that charity is a cornerstone of our “society”.

It’s fine though, if you don’t want to give any spare change to some poor unfortunate that is your “business”.

Except, as some posters on here have said, a lot of them aren't in need.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I've never seen them get into a chauffer driven Bentley but I've seen beggars dropped off in the morning and picked up in the evening.

I have seen that also.
    There used to be an organised 'begging shift' near where I was working. They were outside a coffee shop, and were dropped off and picked up daily. Not in a Bentley, but in a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

People would want to be cruel heartless b*stards to assume that every person out begging is creaming it in!

Get real, ffs, no one is going to sit out in the cold and wet in Ireland begging unless they've truly hit rock bottom.

Yes, they might spend it on heroin, but they're addicts ffs.

Just own your scabbiness. Keep your 20c but admit it's due to being miserly and not because you're taking a stand against some millionaire beggars.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Augeo wrote: »
    I know a couple who have roofs over their heads but they'd be dealing and stealing etc.
    A heroin habit costs over a grand/week to maintain........... there aren't many folk financially grand on heroin and looking after their families.

Unless you are referring to folk on methadone programmes.

All would have been on any number of programmes over the years (some over 30 years) but all have gone back to heroin. Smoking or shooting it. Not every day as they'll truck along with prescribed meds (as in officially prescribed, not dealers). There are levels of addiction, dependency and functionality and how people deal with it.
    They don't all end up begging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People would want to be cruel heartless b*stards to assume that every person out begging is creaming it in!

Get real, ffs, no one is going to sit out in the cold and wet in Ireland begging unless they've truly hit rock bottom.

Just own your scabbiness. Keep your 20c but admit it's due to being miserly and not because you're taking a stand against some millionaire beggars.

How many are you putting up in your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You've already made your point. Emmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You won't be making many millionaire beggars if all you give them is 20c.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think the only real solution is round them all up and grind them down into a nutritious sludge that can be used to feed all the poor neglected cats and dogs around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

biko wrote: »
    Are they Irish or Roma?
    Roma are in other countries too and get trafficked here from Romania.
    https://extra.ie/2017/12/24/news/irish-news/organised-beggars-flying-from-romania

They are not Irish anyways , I see the same ones between a local chain of grocery stores week in week out around by Rathfarnham and Nutgrove areas of Dublin. Sitting there with blankets over their knees. I know well they are con men and women and not homeless at all. Why don't the staff come out and tell them to leave ? They are inside the grounds of the shopping area off the main road, surely they can be moved on ?

• Advertisement

Boards users are really showing themselves to up to be excessively “stingy”.

First we had the ‘tipping’ thread, then the constant “charity” bashing and now a very negative attitude to giving spare change to beggars on the street.

The anger behind the “attitude” is telling though. Quite telling. Thankfully, once again, this doesn’t reflect the opinions of people in the “real world”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Boards users are really showing themselves to up to be excessively “stingy”.

First we had the ‘tipping’ thread, then the constant “charity” bashing and now a very negative attitude to giving spare change to beggars on the street.

The anger behind the “attitude” is telling though. Quite telling. Thankfully, once again, this doesn’t reflect the opinions of people in the “real world”.

I can't remember the last time I saw a genuine beggar. In the last few years all I've seen are organised beggars that get picked up and dropped off each day.

Would I know a genuine beggar if I saw one? I don't know but I do know the faces of the guys that I see being dropped off in the morning and picked up again at night.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Sooooooo...we punish genuine people living on the street?

If I give a tenner to a genuine person living on the street (and, much to our great shame, we have no shortage of them) I should be handed an on the spot fine of €100?

Rarely have I read such bollocks.

There are plenty of opportunities to drop a few quid into a charity account online or dd if anyone wants to help genuine charity causes.
    Enabling this begging carry on is the real problem. It's your shame they feed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

The five you see may not be homeless at all.

You're right. They're probably just sleeping in doorways for the fun of it. Great adventure altogether! Ffs... :rolleyes:

There are plenty of opportunities to drop a few quid into a charity account online or dd if anyone wants to help genuine charity causes.
    Enabling this begging carry on is the real problem. It's your shame they feed on.

Wouldn’t go suggesting just anyone contribute towards an “organised” charity on here, T.

You’ll have a bunch of them on you spitting about CEO’s salaries and “admin” cost. The tightwads on here don’t agree with donations to charity or directly giving to beggars. No tipping waiting staff either.

A penny saved, as they say.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This thread has been done to death on after hours over the years sadly. Same sh*te happens.
    Those who say most are not genuine and just begging for a few quid on top of their social etc etc are met with your angry / tight / a jerk / heartless etc.

Those who say help the homeless, they're just addicts or have issues are met with: well how much do you give? Why don't you put some up in your house or you're virtue signalling.

So pick your side. Do not focus on what the other thinks.

Want my two cents? which isn't worth anything... Like most things in life this isn't so black & white. But there are more people trying to pull the wool over your eyes than be truthfully honest in this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

I worked outdoors in Dublin city centre all-hours for many years, and I got to know a good spread of the people who begged regularly. There was a mix of absolutely genuine homeless people and otherwise destitute people, young and old, many (but by no means all) crippled by various addictions; and then there were managed gangs of quasi-professionals as well, bussed-in to coordinated pitches. Perfectly nice chatty people whose situations would break your heart in all of the groups, and some right nasty feckers too that were best avoided, but it was definitely a complex, diverse population.

If you can tell the differences in their circumstances by looking at them as you pass in and out of shops, you're a much better judge than I. Best policy is to always to treat everyone with the respect due to a fellow human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You're right. They're probably just sleeping in doorways for the fun of it. Great adventure altogether! Ffs... :rolleyes:

Easy there , big boy.
    I'm years working in low threshold homeless services.

You may have picked my post up the wrong way.

To err is human and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Every now and again I'll buy them a sambo or drop them a coin. I'd a brother who lived on the streets so I do throwing them something now and again. I know its an eyesore them standing around begging at the local shops. I also know some of it is organised and some spots are very profitable. But when I give I try give to the poor fu¢ker that needs it.
    I think some people regard beggars as failures and don't like what they see, so they find it easy to condemn. But in fairness they didn't all start out that way, whatever got a hold on them as fu¢ked them up, whether it be addiction, gambling, homeless, mental health etc. But when I look at them I always think, (there for the grace of god go I). Because I know many many people have fallen of the path and never got back on it.
    Give them something if you want, if you don't want to give them nothing. But don't judge them, you'll find they have already judged and condemned themselves. I wouldn't have their life for nothing. Its mostly repetitive misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I was in Rome on holiday last year and down the street from the Vatican myself and my other half seen a beggar with a very noticeable disability/ disfigurement .

We were heading up O’Connell street in Dublin doing the Xmas shopping later that year , lo and behold who did we see only the exact same beggar .
    Found it very odd she has gone from Italy to Ireland in a few months . A racket most of it in my opinion .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yeah, that's some bull**** right there. Only 97 on the streets?! I pass 5 every day just myself, on the short walk between the bus stop and the office.

I assume you're not walking during the middle of the night. The people who have begging as a profession but don't sleep rough don't count. And as another poster pointed out it was Dublin not Ireland, My mistake. So there were 92 homeless people in Dublin at one point in 2019, so maybe 300 in the whole country. Not the 20,000 like Paul Murphy would tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There's not a single one of them that doesn't get at least €200 a week from the gov, why do they need my money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

I’d always throw them a couple of quid, if I have it. If not a simple ‘sorry, I’ve no change’ will suffice.

These people are on one of the lowest “rungs” of society. Firing a few coins their way is the least I can do.

Can’t win with the misers on here. Don’t give tok “organised” charities because they waste it on wages, don’t give to beggars because they make you feel bad or they’re secretly millionaires.

Good man Em. I myself try to live by this:
    "Bless the cup that is about to overflow, that the water may flow golden out of it, and carry everywhere the reflection of thy bliss!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

GarIT wrote: »
    There's not a single one of them that doesn't get at least €200 a week from the gov, why do they need my money?

The apparent living wage in Ireland is €12.30/hour x 40 hrs/week = c.€500

€200/week works out at €5/hour.

It is piss all money.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Imagine being addicted to heroin with your two kids also addicted. How could that happen?

It’s very moreish

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Can anything be done about them to move them on ? Don't see store managers giving a sht about them asking their customers for money...would the cops move them on or they even bother to approach them ?

We ve been unwilling to deal with complex psychological issues, so......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

GarIT wrote: »
    I assume you're not walking during the middle of the night. The people who have begging as a profession but don't sleep rough don't count. And as another poster pointed out it was Dublin not Ireland, My mistake. So there were 92 homeless people in Dublin at one point in 2019, so maybe 300 in the whole country. Not the 20,000 like Paul Murphy would tell you.

No, I'm walking to work from the bus in the morning, when you can see them still asleep in their sleeping bags, as the Corpo guys rock up to clear away the cardboard.

There were 92 people that were spotted sleeping rough in Dublin on the one night in 2019 that they were counting them. Not all people sleeping rough do so in city centre main street doorways, or under theatre awnings, and I guarantee you many were missed. That figure obviously doesn't include the hundreds more in Dublin alone who managed to get a hostel bed that night, or the likes of families living in B&Bs & single hotel rooms cos some landlord decided "I need the room for my nephew", evicted them, and jacked the rent.

I've not seen Murphy claim anything like you're saying he did, but maybe you know best.

Or, I dunno, we could go with the official Department of Housing figures?

"The majority of the homelessness crisis is concentrated in Dublin, where 4,509 adults and 2,782 children were homeless." - Irish Times, January 3.

92, me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Between...
    Beggers at shop entrance
    Aggressive Pan Handlers
    "Charity" Sales pitches
    Expensive parking charges

Is it any wonder some city centres are in decline...oh now we can add in Covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

All the beggars I see are young people , are they looking for money for drugs, beer, i don.t know.
    Even homeless people can get welfare payments. No one in Ireland is starving.
    Is it a all a con?
    I think the Gardaí just ignore beggars. I get young people just walking up to me saying have u got a euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

it beggers belief.

Advertisement