Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggars sitting outside shops

• 09-10-2020 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Can anything be done about them to move them on ? Don't see store managers giving a sht about them asking their customers for money...would the cops move them on or they even bother to approach them ?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Pain in the hole and it's getting way worse.

I live on the Northside of Dublin and in my area they're outside every Spar and petrol station and a lot of shopping centres every day. And before anyone calls them "Homeless" they're not. There's 8 regular beggars in my area outside shops and all of them live in the modern apartment complexes beside me.

Whatever about those on the public pavement outside Spars (with Gardai almost having to step over them to get into the shop) how come they're not ran off petrol station forecourts and shopping centre entrances?

I've chatted to the housing association that house these beggars and they say whilst their case workers are disappointed in their behaviour there's nothing they can do about it.

The people I get most annoyed with is the people that regularly give money to them (and don't kid yourself- they don't want food or coffee). They are actively maintaining the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The majority of begging in Dublin is organised crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It's like door to door sales people...if people would stop giving them money they would stop.
    Charities are far from perfect but a hell of a lot better than giving your money to a beggar on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are they Irish or Roma?
    Roma are in other countries too and get trafficked here from Romania.
    https://extra.ie/2017/12/24/news/irish-news/organised-beggars-flying-from-romania

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d always throw them a couple of quid, if I have it. If not a simple ‘sorry, I’ve no change’ will suffice.

These people are on one of the lowest “rungs” of society. Firing a few coins their way is the least I can do.

Can’t win with the misers on here. Don’t give tok “organised” charities because they waste it on wages, don’t give to beggars because they make you feel bad or they’re secretly millionaires.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I’d always throw them a couple of quid, if I have it. If not a simple ‘sorry, I’ve no change’ will suffice.

These people are on one of the lowest “rungs” of society. Firing a few coins their way is the least I can do.

Can’t win with the misers on here. Don’t give tok “organised” charities because they waste it on wages, don’t give to beggars because they make you feel bad or they’re secretly millionaires.

They are not homeless by the sounds of it. I think the coins tossed are likely to be converted to heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

biko wrote: »
    Are they Irish or Roma?
    https://extra.ie/2017/12/24/news/irish-news/organised-beggars-flying-from-romania

How does an EU citizen get trafficked to another EU country, makes no sense, they can leave any time and have free movement rights so would have no issue with being here illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

you sir are the cause of these parasites , if nobody gave them anything they wouldn't be there

How does an EU citizen get trafficked to another EU country, makes no sense, they can leave any time and have free movement rights so would have no issue with being here illegally.

The roma beggars around here appear to have minders. I've seen cars pull up to collect their "earnings".

Likely its the head of the family.

biko wrote: »
    Are they Irish or Roma?

In my area D.13 they're all Irish. A couple of families, not Travellers. Mother and two twenty-something daughters being the most hardcore- all weather- all hours- 7 days a week commitment to the coffee cup.
    You get Romas tapping at traffic junctions around here occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DD1518

There's some genuine cases of people being down and out and I have no issue with helping them by buying a meal and toiletries etc. I recently met a 22yo girl in a sleeping bag on Westmoreland street obviously had drug issues but wasn't begging just sat in a sombre state so I went over and offered to buy her a meal and got a few bits like tampons toothbrush deodorant she couldn't be more appreciative and sat telling me all her life story which was truly very tragic it's heartbreaking what some people have to endure in life. What annoys me is the organised Roma families who are moved from place to place and then collected in the evenings in high end cars I seen one particular elderly lady in 6 or 7 different spots over the years and most recently in Malahide she sure gets about for someone who's supposed to be homeless. There can be a lot of ungrateful people on the streets also and have been told many a time to stick my offer of food and just give them money no way am I supporting an addiction.

humberklog wrote: »
    In my area D.13 they're all Irish. A couple of families, not Travellers. Mother and two twenty-something daughters being the most hardcore- all weather- all hours- 7 days a week commitment to the coffee cup.
    You get Romas tapping at traffic junctions around here occasionally.

Imagine being addicted to heroin with your two kids also addicted. How could that happen?

I can assure you they are making way more money than me at the moment and that's excluding what they make tapping.

They get their dole, HAP, heating allowance and whatever else they're "entitled' to. I get nothing, I've two barely struggling shops with almost nothing coming in and I'm not claiming PUP.

These people are out begging to make more money. That's all it is. They aren't millionaires but they're no harder up financially than than anyone else on welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the solution to this €100 on the spot fines for anyone giving them money? Handle it similar to prostitution.

Imagine being addicted to heroin with your two kids also addicted. How could that happen?

These aren't heroin addicts.

These aren't heroin addicts.

They are just doing it because it is profitable? Obviously they care nothing of what people think!

They are just doing it because it is profitable? Obviously they care nothing of what people think!

Well, yeah. That's by far and away most people tapping. Profitable in that it gives them extra cash.
    I know more addicts that live ordinary lives, with jobs (even those that don't have a job wouldn't go begging as they're financially grand) and look after their families and keep a roof over their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Can anything be done about them to move them on ? Don't see store managers giving a sht about them asking their customers for money...would the cops move them on or they even bother to approach them ?

It's a public space. They have every right to be there annoying as it may be. And the store managers don't have the authority to order ANYBODY to do anything. They don't have powers of arrest or to move people along from a public area.

It's a public space. They have every right to be there annoying as it may be. And the store managers don't have the authority to order ANYBODY to do anything. They don't have powers of arrest or to move people along from a public area.

What about the ones on petrol station forecourts and outside shopping centre entrances
    (y'know like a Tesco where they own the car park/ entrance). Surely something could be done there by the owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So shops like Lidl and Aldi don't own their own carparks and space outside their stores?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I went into the Centra beside work a few weeks back (Dublin city).

I never give them anything. I dont even acknowledge them. They are a scourge.

But one of them stung me well the other day. Have to give him credit. He played the game well.

I was walking past him and got the usual any change speil. I said, sorry, dont carry any cash - you know the Covid situation and all.

He says to me - any chance of buying me a sandwich.

Smart ****er.

Its hard to turn down buying somebody some food if they say they are hungry. Even if they are a strung out drug user. So I bought him a sandwich.

Moral of the story - im going back to not acknowledging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I've seen thses around Celbridge and Maynooth getting collected in a €80,000 Range Rover Velar at around 8pm in the evenings.

They are entitled to the dole and HAP they have no need for anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's like door to door sales people...if people would stop giving them money they would stop.
    Charities are far from perfect but a hell of a lot better than giving your money to a beggar on the street.

Bit unfair to compare beggars with door to door sales people. I have a lot of respect for the sales guys, they go out and work hard to earn a living, a lot of the time for no guarantee of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Tzardine wrote: »
    I went into the Centra beside work a few weeks back (Dublin city).

I never give them anything. I dont even acknowledge them. They are a scourge.

But one of them stung me well the other day. Have to give him credit. He played the game well.

I was walking past him and got the usual any change speil. I said, sorry, dont carry any cash - you know the Covid situation and all.

He says to me - any chance of buying me a sandwich.

Smart ****er.

Its hard to turn down buying somebody some food if they say they are hungry. Even if they are a strung out drug user. So I bought him a sandwich.

Moral of the story - im going back to not acknowledging them.

Was walking down the quays few weeks ago on a Saturday morning, guy stopped me and asked for money, like you I said , sorry I cant help I don't carry cash - he then came right up in my face and told me to walk back to a shop with him and buy him stuff on my card!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

messrs wrote: »
    Was walking down the quays few weeks ago on a Saturday morning, guy stopped me and asked for money, like you I said , sorry I cant help I don't carry cash - he then came right up in my face and told me to walk back to a shop with him and buy him stuff on my card!

Feck that.

I bought my lad a sandwich cause he asked nicely.

Your lad should have been given a Glasgow kiss. Cheeky cnut trying to intimidate people.

I'd know most of them around the south part of the city and some of them are funny fookers and sound when they know you.

One guy does have a cracking intro- "sorry gents, any change?"

Mumble, mumble, shuffle "no 'fraid not."

Beggar- ah balls me car insurance is crippling me and it's a pre '08 so the tax on it is mental.

Usually this gets a big laugh and (clever enough) gets him a few bob. This guy doesn't drive, isn't a junkie, has a nice pad in the Iveagh Trust buildings and isn't short for anything. When that joke works I even give a couple of quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

So shops like Lidl and Aldi don't own their own carparks and space outside their stores?

Tesco in Celbridge move them on, and you'd think there would be a few around The Square in Tallaght but I haven't seen any. not sure of the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd know most of them around the south part of the city and some of them are funny fookers and sound when they know you.

One guy does have a cracking intro- "sorry gents, any change?"

Mumble, mumble, shuffle "no 'fraid not."

Beggar- ah balls me car insurance is crippling me and it's a pre '08 so the tax on it is mental.

Usually this gets a big laugh and (clever enough) gets him a few bob. This guy doesn't drive, isn't a junkie, has a nice pad in the Iveagh Trust buildings and isn't short for anything. When that joke works I even give a couple of quid.

I volunteer with a rough sleeper team and those I see begging during the day when going to or from work I rarely see at night when I'm out with the team.

Those that are short money for dealers are sent to 'work' to get enough for their fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I can't speak for petrol station forecourts. I don't know if you can be trespassed from them.

But the space in front of shops is not the shop's property anymore that the space in front of your house is not your property....that is if your front door opens directly onto the street. The footpath is public space.

There might be a case for loitering or harassment or public nuisance laws but they're pretty vague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Have you tried a blast of hot, hot piss to the eyeball region?

Advertisement