Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underrated films that people seem to think are a rubbish but really are not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dumb and dumber 2 and trainspotting 2.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

OU812 wrote: »
    Love that movie

So dark. Brilliant flick.

Two that I keep coming back to are Rock Star & Rock of ages. Neither should be regarded as high quality, but I love them.

Oh man. I need to watch Rock of Ages again. Staceee Jacks.
    I've only seen it once. Great film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

The thread is just going to turn into people listing great movies which aren't considered rubbish in the first place. With that in mind, I'd like to be one of the first

Ben Hur

Juno.

I think it got too hyped at the time and people turned against it. Plus a wise-cracking teen is off-putting to many. But Ellen Page was nominated for the Best Actress Oscar for it and I completely understand why. She’s finds the vulnerable note that prevents Juno from being totally obnoxious.

Highly annoying actress imo - even just annoying to look at before she starts speaking.

This movie was her high point really and has disappeared into minor exposure since. Not that I'm complaining about that.

Juno doesn't qualify for the concept of this thread really as it was well-reviewed / rated at the time....

I think that anything above about 55 or so on metacritic should be the exclusion bar for not being "under-rated"

Juno for example got 81 which is a very high score for a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Constantine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Wayne's World 2 is a classic, it's hard to believe some people think it's rubbish.

Bloodsport was really good, but gets a lot of slack, especially around the actor playing the young Frank Dux.

Soul Man- a movie that probably wouldn't be made now.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091991/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

The goods, sell hard, live hard and that's my boy bad reviews but really funny movies

Straight to DVD and free on you tube and I have met only two other people who have also seen it - I think Ink (2009) was artistically one of the best low budget movies I have seen. Good effects given their tiny budget and just generally well acted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Limitless.
    Got sloppy reviews, I thought it was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

glasso wrote: »
    Highly annoying actress imo - even just annoying to look at before she starts speaking.

This movie was her high point really and has disappeared into minor exposure since. Not that I'm complaining about that.

Juno doesn't qualify for the concept of this thread really as it was well-reviewed / rated at the time....

I think that anything above about 55 or so on metacritic should be the exclusion bar for not being "under-rated"

Juno for example got 81 which is a very high score for a movie.

I think it belongs because people haven’t continued to speak well of it. The Metacritic reviews are from when it was released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

The Cobbler (2014) starring Adam Sandler

10 % rating on rotten tomatoes.

Saw it on a flight and found it quite good .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Starship Troopers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Treasure Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Cliffhanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Ironclad which stars James Purefoy, Paul Giamatti, Derek Jacobi and Lars "Ulfric Stormcloak " Kulich. I thought it was a great medieval action movie, loosely based on the siege of Rochester Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Tremors 2 and 3.
    Fred Ward carries part 2. The legend that is Bert Gummer carries part 3.
    They are fun films, the one thing that really lets them down is they use too much crappy CGI instead of live action graboids like the first film.

I think it belongs because people haven’t continued to speak well of it. The Metacritic reviews are from when it was released.

That would make it overrated to me tbh.

There are lots of movies, even good ones that get talked about less as time goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That Lone Ranger film with Johnny Depp

The Shadow with Alec Baldwin

Both enjoyable for what they are

Revolver Guy Ritchie, got very mixed reviews but worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Hot Tub Time Machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Ironclad which stars James Purefoy, Paul Giamatti, Derek Jacobi and Lars "Ulfric Stormcloak " Kulich. I thought it was a great medieval action movie, loosely based on the siege of Rochester Castle.

I remember having to turn it off because of the shaky cam it was giving me a headache

• Advertisement

Pretty much all the star wars movies after the original trilogy are at worst pretty decent and some are very good but you would get a pain in your head listening to so many Star Wars fans saying everything after episode 6 is terrible.

* 3 - 6 are excellent not saying otherwise.

I’ve even heard one or two saying the mandolorian is rubbish and it is absolutely superb. Some just can’t be seen to compliment anything recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Pretty much all the star wars movies after the original trilogy are at worst pretty decent and some are very good but you would get a pain in your head listening to so many Star Wars fans saying everything after episode 6 is terrible.

* 1-3 are excellent not denying they either.

I’ve even heard one or two saying the mandolorian is rubbish and it is absolutely superb. Some just can’t be seen to compliment anything recent.

I think the prequels are slightly underrated, except for Attack Of The Clones. That was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Thirteenth Warrior, Vikings action flick with Antonio Banderas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Masters of the Universe, I’ve seen lots of giving out about it and to be fair it’s a distant cousin of the actual He-Man story but I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Any Steven Segal film,

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Uncut Gems, watched it and enjoyed it so much that I was genuinely surprised to see the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

I absolutely loved Event Horizon and was shocked to see it reviewed so poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

Great cast, Bill Murray is excellent.

I think the movie might have got a bit of a backlash critically due to high expectations because it was Wes Anderson's next movie after The Royal Tenenbaums, which had been a big hit.

Great soundtrack also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

rapul wrote: »
    The Jacket, Adrian Brody at his best imo

Nope that award goes to the underrated Summer Of Sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Lockheed wrote: »
    Uncut Gems, watched it and enjoyed it so much that I was genuinely surprised to see the reviews.

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%
    Empire: 5/5

Doesn't seem very underrated.

Advertisement