Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad apps for primary teaching

• 26-01-2012 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can suggest some good iPad apps for learning support / resource teaching at primary level?

I'm just after the basics.. Apps the children can use to help with tables, basic maths, phonics, letter formation etc.. the usual useful stuff for the res/ls gang!

Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Why not start with internet sites like sumdog.com, senteacher.com, starfall.com. Hundreds of good sites listed on educationposts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Why not start with internet sites like sumdog.com, senteacher.com, starfall.com. Hundreds of good sites listed on educationposts.ie

Yeah Ive tried some of those but the apps are built specifically for the ipad so you get all sorts of cool and useful features in them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Do cool features=better learning outsomes:D?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0513/1224296826697.html
    Ransboro are worth contacting, they are on twitter and v helpful. Do you take part in #edchatie on Monday nights?Lots of good ideas there too.

Do cool features=better learning outsomes:D?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0513/1224296826697.html
    Ransboro are worth contacting, they are on twitter and v helpful. Do you take part in #edchatie on Monday nights?Lots of good ideas there too.

I haven't taken part in anything like that before but I'll check it out.
    And rest assured I'm dedicated enough to be looking for school apps on my own iPad for the purpose of better learning outcomes for children who specifically need access to something like this to overcome their individual difficulties. If I was looking for cool for cool sake, I'd be playing angry birds right now. :)

For example, a child with moderate fine motor skill issues would benefit from using the iPad to trace letters instead of battling to hold a pencil correctly and make the letters.

The suspicion that using advanced IT equipment for children means that learning outcomes drop in priority has always made me curious :)

Not suspicious of using advanced IT at all, we have been using opensource software to create 3-d immersive education experiences for the last 2 years, but just because something in done through IT doesn't always make it better. :p

Has the OT suggested any activities to help the child?
    http://www.otplan.com/ has some interesting ideas and sensationalkids.ie do lots of useful materials too.

• Advertisement

but just because something in done through IT doesn't always make it better. :p

Why are you assuming I think that way though? As I mentioned, I have many reasons to use the technology to not only maintain the learning outcomes, but to enhance the 'conditions for learning' so to speak. You need not fear that Im using IT for my own personal benefit in this case.

The external professionals in the cases Im thinking of are fully supportive of using assistive technology but are also interested in what I come up with for these specific children.

Advertisement