Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a tv licence inspector come into your driveway and look in your front window?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Go to bed Op, this thread is just made up nonsense. Columbo would have a field day, if you don't pay your TV license you won't get the chance to watch him ever again. Then you will definitely be sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 steph79

Hi , I pay monthly , I think it's only 13 quid a month , I doesn't really break the bank , and it does also go to other channels so it's helping the Irish tv industry , sure if you you don't watch TV or DVD or anything online then you shouldn't pay but if you say you're feeling anxious , maybe you should just pay and feel good again .

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magentur

Evasion is much higher than official figures would indicate. The broadcast charge which everyone would have had to pay would have gone a long way to address that. I've never had a TV licence but if an inspector called to the door when I was home and I answered I would start paying. And to go though the level of anxiety and stress that the OP seems to be going through because of not paying seems ridiculous.

They put a note in my door saying that there was nobody here, there is no licence registered at this address but our inspector saw evidence of a tv on the premises so please pay up or else.

I wouldn't mind but I have no subscription to any television service, which is overwhelmingly reality rubbish, commercial sport and commercials. Instead I just use the tv to cast stuff from the internet to the tv and that's all. Still, I paid the licence because, as said above, you need it for a tv set even if you have no tv stations. When this tv goes, I'll buy a screen that isn't capable of receiving a tv station and therefore will not have to buy a tv licence. But they'll probably have a new charge then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 steph79

Maybe a reduced charge if genuinely only cast stuff from streaming and have no tv in the house say 90 euros , the level of compliance then may increase .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

FYI I pay monthly too.

Will have to claim social welfare for a while to get my money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

FREELOADERS, UNITE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

steph79 wrote: »
    Hi , I pay monthly , I think it's only 13 quid a month , I doesn't really break the bank , and it does also go to other channels so it's helping the Irish tv industry , sure if you you don't watch TV or DVD or anything online then you shouldn't pay but if you say you're feeling anxious , maybe you should just pay and feel good again .

This. Just pay dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

Pay them a tenner each time they call not to report you.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭tb66

riclad wrote: »
    IF you have a tv and they find out they can bring you to court,
    whether you watch rte or not is irrelevant,
    the tv license pays for rte staff, radio etc tg4,
    not just for rte tv ,
    they have at least 6 radio channels .
    saorview broadcasts bbc,itv, etc , not just rte tv channels .
    rte operates the broadcasting network and also has channels on sky tv,
    it costs money to broadcast tv and radio and to run a tv transmission network all over the country.

BBC/ITV is not available on Saorview only on Freeview through a satellite dish which most installers will combine with a Saorview box. RTE/Saorview do not transmit UK tv through terrestrial transmitters.RTE is available on Sky ok but it needs a paid sub to Sky to receive it.

In response to op, I think the licence fee is too much for what we get and a lot of it is wasted on paying overpaid staff/presenters. But if your really that worried about that knock on door, just pay it or never answer door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭mikeecho

riclad wrote: »
    they do not call after 6pm.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/culture/whats-on-news/tv-license-inspectors-being-hired-16363735?service=responsive&fbclid=IwAR2anhceboGB4z5UhbWZ8C1hZXkHR1yV_4rvchwRRA9N6_KVTIjpUl9UJII

- Monday - 4.00pm to 9.00pm

- Thursday - 4.00pm to 9.00pm

- Friday - 9.00am to 1.00pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

kneemos wrote: »
    This video has an inspector going to a judge to obtain a search warrant. 0.25

https://youtu.be/5A8hBHUYHd4

That was the biggest load of freeman crap I've ever seen. I'm going to bill you for the five minutes I wasted watching it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hellboi wrote: »
    My husband was rude to one and the TV inspector got a warrant to search our house. We came home a few days later to find the gardai sitting outside our house. We drove on by in panic cos we didn't know why they were there. A few months later my husband was reporting his bike stolen and the Garda mentioned that there was a warrant outstanding for a TV licence search. We hadn't got a TV and we were sick and tired of telling them so hence the reason my husband was a tad rude to them.

It’s not just tv though.
    It’s any device capable of receiving a signal or streaming a service online which covers laptops, tablets and I’d imagine smart phones.

“Capable of” is the important part, it doesn’t matter if you spend your time whittling sticks, if you own a device capable of receiving or streaming then you need a licence.

Are you saying you have no such device ??
    How would you post on boards without such capable device?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

lbc2019 wrote: »
    I paid mine by monthly direct debit- easy

In this modern age, you would think it would be easy to set it up online. No, you have to print off forms for completion and bring them to the post office. This is basic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭corks finest

I've spent a long time searching trying to find this out and finally just said to hell with it, I'll ask here.

I'm expecting a visit from the friendly tv licence inspector some day and it's giving me a bit of anxiety. I keep hearing this thing about "can he look through the front window and see a tv", and the answer is not from a public area no. But could he reasonably walk around the side of the house and peer in?

I've heard of them being very persistent and aggressive, but he wouldn't have the gall to come up to the front window on my property and look inside with me and the tv in there would he? There is absolutely no public area such as the road he can see a tv from.

He would have to willfully go past the front door and walk along the side of the house until he came to the front window. Alternatively he could park in the driveway, get out of the car and look in. But if you're in a driveway uninvited you're already trespassing right?

Can they get a warrant to search the house on probable cause?
    They can get a warrant but need to be accompanied by a lawman- I invited my last inspector in and as he was making to put his foot inside I quipped" oh can I see your warrant ? " End of hassle,I wouldn't leave any stranger in , with a warrant yes ( no choice) if enough of that crap living in the Creggan in the 80/90s ref RUC/ Brit soldiers-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

As an aside, the analogue system has been cut off, meaning if you plug the cable into the thing on the wall, you’ll get no stations or signal whatsoever. Unless you have a box like soarview or sky.

So if you have no box, doesn’t that mean the tv isn’t capable of receiving a signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I invited my last inspector in and as he was making to put his foot inside I quipped" oh can I see your warrant ?
    That sort of arseholery will get you turned into a vampire some day, mark my words.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

lbc2019 wrote:
    I paid mine by monthly direct debit- easy

Yep, I do too, and save 4 cents a year

12 x 13.33 is 159.96 vs 160 upfront.

I feel like I've beat the system :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I've spent a long time searching trying to find this out and finally just said to hell with it, I'll ask here.

I'm expecting a visit from the friendly tv licence inspector some day and it's giving me a bit of anxiety. I keep hearing this thing about "can he look through the front window and see a tv", and the answer is not from a public area no. But could he reasonably walk around the side of the house and peer in?

I've heard of them being very persistent and aggressive, but he wouldn't have the gall to come up to the front window on my property and look inside with me and the tv in there would he? There is absolutely no public area such as the road he can see a tv from.

He would have to willfully go past the front door and walk along the side of the house until he came to the front window. Alternatively he could park in the driveway, get out of the car and look in. But if you're in a driveway uninvited you're already trespassing right?

Can they get a warrant to search the house on probable cause?
    They can get a warrant but need to be accompanied by a lawman- I invited my last inspector in and as he was making to put his foot inside I quipped" oh can I see your warrant ? " End of hassle,I wouldn't leave any stranger in , with a warrant yes ( no choice) if enough of that crap living in the Creggan in the 80/90s ref RUC/ Brit soldiers-
    If you invited him in he doesn't need a warrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

irishgeo wrote: »

Yeah, that's the most idiotic thing you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

tedpan wrote: »
    Yep, I do too, and save 4 cents a year

12 x 13.33 is 159.96 vs 160 upfront.

I feel like I've beat the system :D

My bill works out at : 160. X 0 =0
    I'm making quite the annual saving

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Blueshoe wrote:
    My bill works out at : 160. X 0 =0 I'm making quite the annual saving

A giant leap ahead of my idea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

irishgeo wrote: »
    The entire story is made up, might as well make up a law to go with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Any strategies for getting them to piss off? For example would rudeness cause them to be more harsh or less likely to return?

Are you a wind up merchant?

Why don’t you put your efforts into earning the money to pay the license fee?These things are all part of living in a civilised society. None of us like paying for this especially with the diminishing use of the service and the salaries etc. but some things need to be paid for either directly or indirectly.

Or perhaps you are a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Quite the warrior, not only stood up to RUC men and the BA but also TV licence inspectors across the generations.
    Songs will be written about you and men will weep in your memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do the right thing.

Or do the wrong thing, it seems to be what you want to do.
    And stress about doing the wrong thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Thread closed as OP has posted in relevant forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement