Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland should we embrasse Bitcoin !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sure why not, We already allow MN companies Avoid tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/uk-aims-to-cash-in-as-a-world-bitcoin-capital-31080539.html

Should Ireland steal a march on the rest of Europe and encourage companies like Bitcoin to have exchanges in Ireland

Bitcoin is not a company, it's a protocol - an invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Oh, I'm really sorry to make the first reply about "embrasse" but here we are

I was waiting for that :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

I'd embrasse a spellchecker before embrassing a made up currency that could go bang any day without warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Wow is it 2013 again? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dep! wrote: »
    Im embrasse a spellchecker before embrassing a made up currency that could go bang any day without warning.

Lets leave the Ukrainian Hryvnia out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Im embrasse a spellchecker before embrassing a made up currency that could go bang any day without warning.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

We should embrasse litres of beer . What's up with that?

On a serious note it would be an interesting idea, buy up some reserves on the quiet, then open the gates to the Bitcoin industry, try to become the silicon valley of Bitcoin companies, there's already a couple in Ireland anyway, and the recent regulation for digital currencies from the New York financial regulator was a bit more restrictive than many would like. It's a new industry looking for a home, what would Ireland have to lose by trying to capture it?

EDIT: Isle of Man already trying it http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-isle-of-mans-plan-become-bitcoin-fintech-paradise-2015-3?r=US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

This is "Jack and the Beanstalk" but with computers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'd embrasse a spellchecker before embrassing a made up currency that could go bang any day without warning.

All other currencies of course having the double whammy of not being made up, and not being at risk of going bang any day without warning?
    All those not made up currencies that are impervious to collapse. Like the flangdoodle, and the skipablopo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Bitcoin is quite capable of embarassing itself. Doesn't need our help.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/18/bitcoin-deep-web-evolution-exit-scam-12-million-dollars

porsche959 wrote: »
    Bitcoin is quite capable of embarassing itself. Doesn't need our help.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/18/bitcoin-deep-web-evolution-exit-scam-12-million-dollars

People gave their bitcoins to an anonymous illegal drug market acting as an escrow. The anonymous illegal drug market stole them.

If you gave your euros to a junkie on O'Connell street who said he'd be right back with your product, but did a legger would you say it embarrassed the euro?

The lesson here is don't give your money to anonymous strangers, if you don't want to risk losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

How To Embarrass A Bitcoin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

An unregulated financial system. What could go wrong??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Yeah we want some of that action. If it all goes base over apex we can get the Troica (grand bunch o'lads) back in,

What are you afraid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

It is regulated in the sense that it is finite. There is no govt that cant print more when they feel llike it. There will only ever be 21 million. Its next to impossible for govts to tax or seize ( if stored and encrypted properly). It is anonymous, to a certain point anyway. In a nutshell its the first worldwide currency of the people without government regulation.

What could go wrong? People have a means of exchange without the need for government currencies? Power is being taken away from the federal reserve? Oh no!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

alb wrote: »
    People gave their bitcoins to an anonymous illegal drug market acting as an escrow. The anonymous illegal drug market stole them.

If you gave your euros to a junkie on O'Connell street who said he'd be right back with your product, but did a legger would you say it embarrassed the euro?

The lesson here is don't give your money to anonymous strangers, if you don't want to risk losing it.

It was basically the same as ebay (with lots of feedback and reviews), only if you left your funds on the site itself were you at any real risk of loss from the site being gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ha, The highly regulated Fiat currency system works a treat does it not ..... :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    It was basically the same as ebay (with lots of feedback and reviews), only if you left your funds on the site itself were you at any real risk of loss from the site being gone.

Except ebay is a non-anonymous company which means there are consequences for them if they just decide to steal all the escrowed funds, which acts as an incentive for them not to do that.

If you want to buy from a market place where you can trust neither the seller nor the market middleman itself you need a trustless escrow. The funny thing is that since bitcoin is programmable money they technically could have made transactions that can by held in escrow by the market but *only* be either paid to the seller or refunded to the client, with no possibility of the market keeping the money.

I've never used any darknet markets but I would guess that one using trustless escrow is inevitable as soon as customers understand the need for it and demand it. It may need to get a bit more user-friendly to implement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Stocking up on tulip bulbs myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

i have a cool million dollars of bitcoins, will swap for a good van

kowloon wrote: »
    Stocking up on tulip bulbs myself.

ding ding ding, winner of first 'tulip' comment goes to kowloon. But don't give up, 'ponzi' and 'scam' and 'mtgox' are still up for grabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Eircom shares are where it's at. Or rental houses. Bitcoin is too risky.

ding ding ding, winner of first 'tulip' comment goes to kowloon. But don't give up, 'ponzi' and 'scam' and 'mtgox' are still up for grabs.

Did I hit a nerve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

kowloon wrote: »
    Did I hit a nerve?

yeah you got me. Tulips. There's no comeback to that.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Not in much of a visible way at least. There's almost no bricks and mortar merchants accepting it here. I used to be hopeful about this aspect, but I no longer am, Bitcoin will have to grow first in the places it provides the most benefit, and that won't be the high-street in Ireland.

• Advertisement

yeah you got me. Tulips. There's no comeback to that.

You seem pretty angry considering how innocuous my post was. No need to be so pissy.

Advertisement