Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Tom Welling ever find work again?

• 16-08-2011 2:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

:D when you see Erica Durance, Justin Hartley, Cassidy Freeman securing work post Smallville and you see Welling with a big fat ZERO you tend to wonder......

....is Welling typecast?, will he ever work again?...has the curse of Superman struck again?, personally i think the guy is a crap actor who got lucky, i can't see him doing anything of note ever again.

Thoughts?

Ooh and btw....Smallville sucked! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The show just ended - it should really be another 3-5 years before this question is asked. Its not common for a tv actor to go directly from 1 tv show straight into another... Take LOST as an example - Emerson and Garcia have new shows coming out this year, but what about the rest of them? What have they done since? Holloway guest starred in 1 episode of Community and Lilly has a supporting role in what could be the worst film of Hugh Jackman's career.
    I'm not saying I'm a fan of Welling, but give the guy a chance at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Bit soon, but thought he was rubbish in Cheaper By The Dozen and ok in The Fog. He's not a great actor but sure how many crap actors grace our screens for half a century or more even though no one likes them :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Myself and a friend wondered this too. He's done this for ten years so is in strong danger of being typecast. He also isn't very good so I hope he saved up a lot of money (I recall he was on a tidy 6 figures per episode).
    Not sure being cast in a couple of pilots means any of the rest of them have been successful though!
    Take LOST as an example - Emerson and Garcia have new shows coming out this year, but what about the rest of them?
    Daniel Dae Kim has a starring role in the very popular "Hawaii 5-0" but other than that I'm struggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ixoy wrote: »
    Daniel Dae Kim has a starring role in the very popular "Hawaii 5-0" but other than that I'm struggling!

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that (is 5-0 worth getting into by the way? - I struggled with the pilot, but I'm a fan of Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park. Is it very procedural like any of the CSI's or Criminal Minds, because I wouldn't be a fan of that sorta show - much prefer my cliffhangers and continuations. Having said that I am a big fan of House and Bones which are both procedural shows)...

But yeah, apart from him, you'd think more of them would be involved in bigger projects...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Isn't he working on Hellcats behind the scenes? Or has that been cancelled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

ixoy wrote: »

I think there was a law in Hollywood at one stage stating that Dae Kim had to be in EVERYTHING. A friend of mine and myself would play the "Where's Dae Kim" game in any new action/sci-fi movie/series. If he wasn't a lab technician he was a soldier/cop of some sort (Although he was a lawyer in Angel). Keep an eye out. Obviously he's not doing that anymore since his profile has risen with Lost and Hawaii 5-0 but keep a look out on older films/series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dman001 wrote: »
    Isn't he working on Hellcats behind the scenes? Or has that been cancelled?

He's an executive producer on Hellcats I believe. As he was on the last few seasons of Smallville.

He also directed a good few episodes of Smallville so I assume he's happy moving into that aspect of TV rather than being an actor.

It hardly seems surprising that after ten years of doing a TV show that he'd want a bit of a break. It's only been a few months since Smallville finished anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Take LOST as an example - Emerson and Garcia have new shows coming out this year, but what about the rest of them? What have they done since? Holloway guest starred in 1 episode of Community and Lilly has a supporting role in what could be the worst film of Hugh Jackman's career.
    I'm not saying I'm a fan of Welling, but give the guy a chance at least.

holloway also in mission impossible 4 coming out soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think there was a law in Hollywood at one stage stating that Dae Kim had to be in EVERYTHING. A friend of mine and myself would play the "Where's Dae Kim" game in any new action/sci-fi movie/series. If he wasn't a lab technician he was a soldier/cop of some sort (Although he was a lawyer in Angel). Keep an eye out. Obviously he's not doing that anymore since his profile has risen with Lost and Hawaii 5-0 but keep a look out on older films/series.

some time in between season 5 and season 6 of lost I suddenly started noticing him in almost every other show i happened to be watching.. freaked me the hell out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

First of all Smallville is awesome! I would be surprised if He doesnt get work, Extremely good looking perfect hair all bodes well for another job, Saying that Hes no John Glover who just made the series, christ but He is awesome, Id watch anything with him and his amazing Mane/Voice combo in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

astonaidan wrote: »
    First of all Smallville is awesome! I would be surprised if He doesnt get work, Extremely good looking perfect hair all bodes well for another job, Saying that Hes no John Glover who just made the series, christ but He is awesome, Id watch anything with him and his amazing Mane/Voice combo in it

Do you realise you're capitalising the H in "He"? Like they do with God?

He is pretty yummy though.

EDIT: How the hell is Erica Durance getting work? She's woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Do you realise you're capitalising the H in "He"? Like they do with God?

He is pretty yummy though.

Isnt Clark a god among men and as for John well if their is another man of godlike status Ive yet to see him on tv;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I only opened this thread cause I have never heard of Tom Welling :o

so no he's not typecast as I wouldn't even know the guy if he sat beside me

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Weird spambot-ish post (and comment about it) removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He could join his mate Ashton Kutcher on his new show :p

This has to be one of the most ridiculous threads on here in a long time. Very few stars of popular long running TV series jump directing into another project, many take years before they find a new series. David Duchovny was one of the biggest names in TV but after he left the X-Files he didn't exactly rush into another project, he waited till he found the right one. You could easily name a few dozen other TV stars who took years between shows and after spending 10 years playing the same character as Welling did is it any wonder he's not rushing out to find a show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jae_Welling

Give the man a Break!

Mr. Welling has been acting in every episode of Smallville for the last 10 years. He has also been directing either 1 or 2 episodes for the past 4 or 5 years, co-executive producing season 9 and executive producing season 10 of Smallville and Hellcats at the same time.

That being said, I do think that he was led on by WB/CW on Hellcats/Superman status in February, March and April. His show was moved to the failed series timeslot in an effort to save Nikita. He only went to one casting call that I heard about for an 18 year old (I would fire my representation too if I was 34 and being sent to that casting call). Personally, I say CW should hire him on to guest star/direct a Supernatural episode as they will no longer have the cushion of the Smallville lead in ratings.

BTW, the man can act... It may not be the way you want the character to be portrayed but that is not our call. I hope Mr. Welling will be back on the large/small screen soon as we already miss him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

JaxxYChicK wrote: »

Take that back!!!!!!!

Advertisement