Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop star bios are the new superhero films

• 19-05-2019 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Just seen the ad for Rocketman about ten times the last hour and realized that with the success of the Freddy Mercury one it seems these pop star biographical films are the new thing for movie studios that either can't or won't come up with any new ideas.

Just like with movies based on comics the pop star histories come with a pre-assembled fan base, and with no need to think up characters or plot.

I think they're lame and lazy. Surprised they made one about Elton who is still alive, and to me, not the most interesting option. I'd say will probably get similar efforts for Bowie, Prince, maybe Jimi, some of the 70s bands like Led zepp or black sabbath.

I think they'd be a lot better if they were based on artists who are less mainstream and therefore less is known about their lives but of course that won't sell as many tickets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Still waiting on a Kurt Cobain film.
    As long as they don't make one on Ronan Keating or Robbie Williams, I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Still waiting on a Kurt Cobain film.
    As long as they don't make one on Ronan Keating or Robbie Williams, I don't mind.

A boyzone biopic smells of TV3/RTE special

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

I always wanted to see a Captain Beefheart biopic but I dont think he's anywhere close to mainstream for a big studio.

This is one of my favorites from his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They already did a Jimi one, it was horrendous dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

They're certainly proving to be a cant-miss formula, for similar reasons to superhero movies:

* Pre-established intellectual property (everyone knows Queen, everyone knows Batman)
    * Generations of fanbases already locked-in (parents and kids/teen who heard of the band from their parents)
    * In-built set pieces (performances of famous songs rather than superhero battles)

Rocketman will make a lot less than Bohemian Rhapsody though, but for admirable reasons - choosing to include gay love scenes, which mean it will probably be banned in lucrative markets such as China.

While Bohemian Rhapsody making nearly a billion dollars proved the formula's success, it wouldn't have been possible without the likes of Mamma Mia and Straight Outta Compton beforehand. I predict a Nirvana biopic soon.

• Advertisement

According to a New York Times article on Rocketman today:

Warner Bros is working on an Elvis biopic.
    Sony is working on a musical fairy tale based on Britney Spears songs.
    Universal is making a Madonna biopic.
    And there are also plans for biopics of Celine Dion, Judy Garland and David Bowie.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭El Duda

The PSCU is now a thing.

The Travelling Wilbury's are the new Avengers

Roy Orbison 2 had a weak villain, Jeff Lynne 3 is the best of the Jeff Lynne trilogy etc...

And there are also plans for biopics of Celine Dion, Judy Garland and David Bowie.

The writers of Britney Spears songs will make a fortune, shame she didn't have anything to do with her songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I know there are plenty of movies out there on the matter during various times in their careers, but would love one on the Beatles start to finish.

A Mick and Keef movie would be fun too!!

Music documentaries are always going to be much better though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Pop star bios aren't a new thing there have been some great ones Lady Sings the Blues, La Bamba, What's Love Got to Do With It, Amadeus and The Buddy Holly Story.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Pop star bios aren't a new thing there have been some great ones Lady Sings the Blues, La Bamba, What's Love Got to Do With It, Amadeus and The Buddy Holly Story.

True, but until Bohemian Rhapsody they had never come close to cracking $1 billion worldwide. It’s a gold rush now.

Queen were massive in weird countries though, that's a big factor in it's success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Almost finished by the looks of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I dare them to include her Eurovision performance

• Registered Users Posts: 84,742 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Casey Affleck should play Bruce S in Boss biopic :p

There has been Madonna and Cobain biopics, quite minor and small releases

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think Casey Affleck should play Bruce S in Boss biopic :p

There has been Madonna and Cobain biopics, quite minor and small releases

Wash your mouth out!

It should be Josh Brolin!