Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilot training

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

How old are you Milhous?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Early 30s

milhous wrote: »
    Early 30s

Plenty of time. I would go for it. Will send you PM

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Milhous, if you've already got a wife and kids my one piece of advice is that they need to be fully on board with this. Of course you may get a job straight away, and be based around the corner from your home which would be perfect. Or as others have said you may not get a job for years, have to spend money renewing medicals and IRs every year to keep current so you can keep applying for jobs. Then the first job might be in a regional airline where you're based abroad and earning 35k a year all in, and your wife is going to be wondering why the hell you aren't home and earning 80k like you said you would be.

Just try talk to as many pilots as you can and make sure you have all the info you need, and that your wife knows what you're all about to get in to. And hopefully you go for it and it all works out, it's a long road but the views at the end are spectacular

Lustrum wrote: »
    Milhous, if you've already got a wife and kids my one piece of advice is that they need to be fully on board with this. Of course you may get a job straight away, and be based around the corner from your home which would be perfect. Or as others have said you may not get a job for years, have to spend money renewing medicals and IRs every year to keep current so you can keep applying for jobs. Then the first job might be in a regional airline where you're based abroad and earning 35k a year all in, and your wife is going to be wondering why the hell you aren't home and earning 80k like you said you would be.

Just try talk to as many pilots as you can and make sure you have all the info you need, and that your wife knows what you're all about to get in to. And hopefully you go for it and it all works out, it's a long road but the views at the end are spectacular

The only, or biggest issue is that I'd need to be based in Ireland. A low salary isn't a major issue however it would nice to be working, it would be hard not to feel dejected after spending 80k or so and studying your arse off to not get a job. Barr the major airlines are there other opportunities to get working?

So far everything I've read has been positive but I suppose its much easier to find them sort of reviews as people are happy to discuss when they're successful.

Is the competition fierce or is there very few jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

Spoken from someone that only sees the public side of Ryanair.

You will not get a better quality of training than at Ryanair. Where else can you join a company and within 4-5 years have your command?

Sure you do your time and then the grass is always greener elsewhere. Nice to be 25 and be right seat on a 777 in the sand pit.

Most ex guys tell me that it is a hard life but the money is good and the training stands to them.

Realistically people get the command quickly because so many are leaving the company which is not a great prospect for someone joining a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Realistically people get the command quickly because so many are leaving the company which is not a great prospect for someone joining a company.

Thats not realistic at all, it’s mostly f/o’s who leave RYR after they get the 2500 hours for legacy carriers, you’ll notice most Captains are still there a good few years later after getting their command.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

billie1b wrote: »
    Thats not realistic at all, it’s mostly f/o’s who leave RYR after they get the 2500 hours for legacy carriers, you’ll notice most Captains are still there a good few years later after getting their command.

FOs leave the company meaning there are not enough that go onto take the command, so the waiting list for command is very short, it's the same thing. High turnover = fast time to command, it's the same the world over. A high turnover will be a symptom of something a lot deeper.

@milhous I would echo what others have said, you cannot expect to be based in Ireland post graduation, it will be a luxury if you are but do not plan on it. If you don't mind becoming an instructor then perhaps you can be, at my assessment last month someone there who is currently an instructor at the NFC mentioned they were hiring continuously, so that's a potential avenue if you don't mind it.

I'm sure the NFC will give me the low down. If stationed in the UK I wonder would they offer cheap flights to get to work once a week :pac:

Looking at having to travel for a year or two, even though it wouldn't be ideal if the long term was to get stationed in Ireland it would be doable.

Im going to book in for an introductory flight lesson with NFC, if I'm feeling happy with that going to go for the class 1 medical and then start the PPL, planning the modular route because I'm kind of tied to work for a a year anyway.

Hopefully get the ball rolling in September intake.

Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭donkey balls

One of the lads I flew with in the US back in 2009 got his MEIR circa 2011, He applied for an airline but due to them looking for union recognition at the time all Irish applicants didn't get a look in.
    He was lucky that he did it modular and had a job to fall back on plus doing other flight work to keep him current, Eventually he managed to get a job in 2016.
    So that was 5 years of applying to every airline before landing a job now I know things have changed and their is a shortage of pilots, It is just like other professions swings & roundabouts my industry cannot get professional drivers or even managers at the moment.

As for cheap flights with a certain Irish airline most lads I know working for them outside of there home country , Commute home on their days off best of luck what ever way you decide to go about the training.

Would have loved to finish my training off but the recession kinda kicked in when I started training, I have a great job but age is definitely not on my side to go back training. :eek:

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCP5jWZWTgk

2:10 in. New FO 2 weeks out of training......47 years old!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Saw a documentary about Easyjet pilot's one lady was only I think early twenties and a captain the new first officer was very late teens no lie. There combined age must have been less than 50 easy.

Saw a few of them shows. Pretty good insight into the daily grind.

I've spent a few days looking over pprune and other forums. Seems to be a mixed view on the job opportunities out there.

Seems least chance of employment is going the modular route, although people have secured commercial pilot jobs going that route.
    Integrated course is a better option, but better off going with a school that is attached to an airline (ie. Afta and Ryanair). In saying that you're not gaurenteed a job with them, so you could go with the Ryanair programme and not be successful Or just go integrated without their support and be successful.

The best chance of gaining employment is to go to the like of FTE Jerez, or one of the bigger schools that a lot of airlines seem to recruit directly from.

Bit of a tough choice. I could go integrated with the likes of NFC just by taking a career break but the chances of landing a first officer job after?! Depends on the demand in 20 months time really... Wouldn't be counting on it...80k later 😅

better off going with a school that is attached to an airline (ie. Afta and Ryanair).

NFC have been around a lot longer than AFTA and countless numbers of their students have been with Ryanair. I don't think the above statement is really fair to say. If you are in Dublin I wouldnt be making the trek to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Neither school is formally attached to an airline, unless you count AFTA dealing with Air Astana. What schools do is feed the airlines, so if FR come along and say "we want 12 candidates", the twelve with the best results and personal recommendation of the boss of the school will get their names put forward and then they face the hurdle of the Type Rating. In Ireland, a lot depends on airline recruiters calling the schools and asking their old mates, "What's he or she like?", and people who are arrogant or otherwise annoying get shelved quietly. Word of mouth is still strong in Ireland.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Neither school is formally attached to an airline, unless you count AFTA dealing with Air Astana. What schools do is feed the airlines, so if FR come along and say "we want 12 candidates", the twelve with the best results and personal recommendation of the boss of the school will get their names put forward and then they face the hurdle of the Type Rating. In Ireland, a lot depends on airline recruiters calling the schools and asking their old mates, "What's he or she like?", and people who are arrogant or otherwise annoying get shelved quietly. Word of mouth is still strong in Ireland.

I thought they were like a training school for Ryanair or some such. They're mentioned in their ad. Think NFC is the place for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

I thought they were like a training school for Ryanair or some such. They're mentioned in their ad. Think NFC is the place for me.

That’s if you apply through the airline, when they’re running that sort of recruitment.

faoiarvok wrote: »
    That’s if you apply through the airline, when they’re running that sort of recruitment.

No I rang AFTA, it's an ongoing thing. You do an assessment with them and if you pass its 85k for the integrated course, 6k more than their normal integrated course because they also do FR specific SOPs and you have an FR mentor too. So it's almost like a gaurenteed route to first officer with Ryanair afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

No I rang AFTA, it's an ongoing thing. You do an assessment with them and if you pass its 85k for the integrated course, 6k more than their normal integrated course because they also do FR specific SOPs and you have an FR mentor too. So it's almost like a gaurenteed route to first officer with Ryanair afaik

Aha, sorry, thought it was more like other cadetships

And its so good that every flight school in europe is doing it as well.......oh wait!? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And its so good that every flight school in europe is doing it as well.......oh wait!? :rolleyes:

Hmm?

Anyway, it's NFC for me. I'm only an hour away, going to do modular ppl and atpl. Then see what I'll do and where I'll do it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just an idea.....
    The aim of the Cadet Pilot Training program is to provide Etihad Airways with qualified future pilots and aviation professionals trained according to the highest international standards to support the growth of the airline. The Trainee will be developed into a well-rounded individual, equipped with a superior set of technical, personal and professional skills. The Training will consist of flying and theoretical knowledge to the standard required for the Cadet to successfully pass GCAA approved examinations for obtaining a Multi Crew Pilot License (MPL)

There is nothing in the advertisement to say that it's nationality based.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I may upset a few people here, the "new" multi crew pilot licence is an accountant's way to reduce the cost of getting crew into a commercial aircraft, in as much as it is the only commercial licence that has restrictions on it, you will be unable to hire and fly a light aircraft on that licence, it is only valid for flying as part of a crew, and it is so much focussed on commercial operation that it does not cover smaller aircraft, and in some cases it does not include a (for me) fundamental aspect of flying training, flying solo in a small aircraft to gain experience of having to make decisions about the conduct of a flight, which (for me) is a significant degradation of the overall skill set that is essential to being able to fly any aircraft.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blanchwill

How are you getting on with this milhous? I took an introductory flight with nfc last week. Probably going to go the modular route with them

blanchwill wrote: »
    How are you getting on with this milhous? I took an introductory flight with nfc last week. Probably going to go the modular route with them

At 217EU/HR it's a flying disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jack_frost_09

blanchwill wrote: »

Interested to know too as weighing up a potential career change by doing modular ppl followed by aptl...

I've decided that I will put this dream to one side for a few years and go for FTE Jerez, costs a fair bit more than Ireland because you're pretty much a border but I think its for me.
    Edit: I talked to
    three pilots and they recommended going here, they ended up with aerlingus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

I've decided that I will put this dream to one side for a few years and go for FTE Jerez, costs a fair bit more than Ireland because you're pretty much a border but I think its for me.
    Edit: I talked to
    three pilots and they recommended going here, they ended up with aerlingus

No offence, but what a load of crap.

Basing the fact that 3 people who went to FTE got Aer Lingus, shouldn't be a reason for you to go there.

Did you talk to two of the people who went to NFC and numerous others who got EI too? I take it you didn't. I'd recommend doing a bit more research rather than shelving the idea of postponing because 3 EI "gods" recommended a holiday in Spain.

Best of luck....

Go to FTE and you will spend the first 6 months in the classroom without so much as getting a sniff of AvGas!!!

NFC will have you flying in week 1!

• Advertisement

People in Aer Lingus at the moment have come from all different backgrounds and schools, the known and the unknown, the pretty and the ugly.

Pick the school that best suits your current requirements and needs. I've no doubt fte are a good school, but regarding value for money ... they are horrendously overpriced and having done the whole training i am very grateful i didn't go to a place like FTE because i would have been ripped off totally. Flight training does not cost anything near 100,000eu and anyone charging you that much is making a heavy profit out of you.

And anyway what about all the guys who went to FTE and never found jobs anyway? If one is to follow the stories of those who got into EI then we should also consider the stories of those who got in nowhere, of which there are more than a few.

Also budget for the fact if EI don't take you, your other option is going to be easyJet ... will you have 35k for the type rating after the 117k spent on training?

I did mine for 60,000eu and ended up with the same license at the end and from going to assessments i am satisfied that my school trained me to a standard that is more than competitive. Regarding standard though, your school obviously matters, but not as much as you in my opinion.

There are people who went to top famous schools and have a skillset that is less than satisfactory and those who went to "poorer" schools and came out with a skillset that is of a very high caliber. The same way you can find excellent instructors at bad schools and bad instructors at excellent schools.

It is a very thorough topic that requires a lot more analysis than meets the eye if you want to go the whole way into "these are a good school they will get me into aer lingus". It doesn't quite work as simple as you'd like to imagine.

Advertisement