Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'what have some travellers somewhere done this time? thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

it's not what they always say. from anyof their press releases and other corispondants with the media, the only time they say something is someone else's fault is when it actually is, for example when they talk about things such as discrimination against travelers.
    They never talk about the crimes they commit against the settled comm7nity and the elderly in particular.

well yes, unfortunately travelers still remain to be the victims of discrimination and bigotry.

Travellers cause themselves to be discriminated against by their uncivilized actions and crime.

how so? they are a group that raise traveler specific issues and lobby to insure traveler's rights are upheld. not sure how that is being an apologist?

Travellers rights are upheld better than settled people’s rights. Pavee Point make sure of that alright. They totally refuse to comment on Travellers beating their wives, failing to send their kids to school, calling out videos, fighting among themselves and disrupting funerals and indeed entire towns.

in what way are they useless? they seem to be standing up for traveler's rights and lobbying quite well. so from what i can see at least they are far from useless given they do exactly what they were set up to do.
    They are letting down Travellers kids by neglecting to comment on lack of school attendance, wife beating and general bad manners by Travellers. They make their criminal ways seem like the norm. It’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Traveller organisations like Pavee Point keep informing us about all the high number of bad health and suicide rates within their community. Yeah fair enough, its not right, nobody wants that anywhere, but look at that video of that infant, I mean what chance have some of them actually got if that's the way some of them are being raised??? Raised to be a performing cartoon nightmare animal clown from infancy? I mean come on, there's a good portion of the high suicide rate explanation right there Pavee Point. Time to own the f**k up to it. That video is just completely and totally f**ked. "The baby hulk" f**king HELL ,That video is real nightmare stuff. Its 100% total abuse. HELL awaits that total piece of $hit holding that phone too

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

I will.....in 24 hours!

I just got this joke :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Quote: end of the road

"unfortunately travelers still remain to be the victims of discrimination and bigotry"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm sure their victims share my contempt for you r BS,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

They never talk about the crimes they commit against the settled comm7nity and the elderly in particular.

it's not in their remit to be fair. also there really isn't anything more they can publically bring to the table on that issue.
    Travellers cause themselves to be discriminated against by their uncivilized actions and crime.

those facing discrimination are never responsible for that discrimination. those who carry out the discrimination are the only ones responsible for it happening. whatever acts that are being committed by a group are separate to the discrimination that group may face.
    Travellers rights are upheld better than settled people’s rights. Pavee Point make sure of that alright.

pavee point insure traveler's rights are upheld yes, that is their remit. i wouldn't expect them to do anything less. but travelers do not have more rights then the rest of us.
    They totally refuse to comment on Travellers beating their wives, failing to send their kids to school, calling out videos, fighting among themselves and disrupting funerals and indeed entire towns.

if they were to publically comment on issues such as the above, it's quite likely that they wouldn't win because people would still complain that they didn't make their point in a certain way or didn't say certain things that they wanted to hear. so it's better if pavee point simply stick to lobbying rather then commenting on actions. there are enough people to go around to comment on these issues anyway.
    They are letting down Travellers kids by neglecting to comment on lack of school attendance, wife beating and general bad manners by Travellers. They make their criminal ways seem like the norm. It’s not.

not publically commenting on these issues is not letting traveler's kids down, given that there are processes and laws in place to deal with lack of school attendence as well as all of the other issues. anyone can inform the authorities if they believe a breach of the law is or has taken place, it's not pavee point's fault that people won't use the processes available if they are genuinely concerned about these issues happening within the traveling community.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

They’d just say it’s someone else’s fault. It’s what they always say. They’re the victims. Pavee Point are only their apologists. Useless organization funded by our taxes.

Pavee point are victim industry players

it's not in their remit to be fair. also there really isn't anything more they can publically bring to the table on that issue.

those facing discrimination are never responsible for that discrimination. those who carry out the discrimination are the only ones responsible for it happening. whatever acts that are being committed by a group are separate to the discrimination that group may face.

pavee point insure traveler's rights are upheld yes, that is their remit. i wouldn't expect them to do anything less. but travelers do not have more rights then the rest of us.

if they were to publically comment on issues such as the above, it's quite likely that they wouldn't win because people would still complain that they didn't make their point in a certain way or didn't say certain things that they wanted to hear. so it's better if pavee point simply stick to lobbying rather then commenting on actions. there are enough people to go around to comment on these issues anyway.

not publically commenting on these issues is not letting traveler's kids down, given that there are processes and laws in place to deal with lack of school attendence as well as all of the other issues. anyone can inform the authorities if they believe a breach of the law is or has taken place, it's not pavee point's fault that people won't use the processes available if they are genuinely concerned about these issues happening within the traveling community.

As I said, always the victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

What annoyed me more was him telling the kid to throw the cutlery on the floor. It's the exact opposite of bringing up children.

A pig with no manners.

What annoyed me more was him telling the kid to throw the cutlery on the floor. It's the exact opposite of bringing up children.

A pig with no manners.

They don’t comply with the norms of society.
    They’re a law unto themselves.
    Do what we want, take what we want.
    Anyone who disagrees with our way of life is discriminating against us.
    Yada yada yada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

One of the most disturbing videos I've ever watched. This is what our government puts on a pedestal.

That video is indicative of the reasons I have sympathy for travellers. They're stuck in this cycle. What chance has that child got at an acceptable life? When do you go from pitying him to hating him?

• Advertisement

MrFresh wrote: »
    That video is indicative of the reasons I have sympathy for travellers. They're stuck in this cycle. What chance has that child got at an acceptable life? When do you go from pitying him to hating him?

It’s not about hating him at all.
    It’s about hating that way of life where children are subjected to behavior like this and think it’s the way to behave. When he grows up he’ll be beating his wife and “calling out” other Travellers to fight because it’s all he will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Stuck in this cycle me f**k man. Literally nobody in this country is stuck in a situation where the likes of this f**king $hit is literally the only option open to them. Nobody is hating on this kid either. Everybody is just horrified at his situation. And so they should be.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

It’s not about hating him at all.
    It’s about hating that way of life where children are subjected to behavior like this and think it’s the way to behave. When he grows up he’ll be beating his wife and “calling out” other Travellers to fight because it’s all he will know.

That's my point. But at some point during his life you'll stop looking at him as a victim of that way of life and start looking at him as the propagator won't you?

buried wrote: »
    Stuck in this cycle me f**k man. Literally nobody in this country is stuck in a situation where the likes of this f**king $hit is literally the only option open to them. Nobody is hating on this kid either. Everybody is just horrified at his situation. And so they should be.

No doubt. But this kid has little chance of growing up right considering the influences on him. And when he grows up into an adult traveler he will face the same hatred the others do. That's the cycle.

That's my point. But at some point during his life you'll stop looking at him as a victim of that way of life and start looking at him as the propagator won't you?

No doubt. But this kid has little chance of growing up right considering the influences on him. And when he grows up into an adult traveler he will face the same hatred the others do. That's the cycle.

Any solutions to how the cycle can be broken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

All part of their 'culture' boss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

No different what was done in this video than what a lot of parents do when they want to 'encourage' their child along a certain path.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

The civilised know it alls, try as the might, can't find a solution to fix the travellers.

They must absolutely love that.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    No different what was done in this video than what a lot of parents do when they want to 'encourage' their child along a certain path.

You’ve lost me
    Hobosan wrote: »
    The civilised know it alls, try as the might, can't find a solution to fix the travellers.

They must absolutely love that.

You too

You’ve lost me

You too

The father is a bare knuckle boxing fan and wants his kid to pursue his interest. No different to a football fan dressing up little whoever in the teams kit and encouraging them to play football or whatever sport or hobby the parent has. Sport in particular is littered with examples like this but as they are mainstream sports and settled people it's ok.

Here the father is trying to beef up his kid and show him how to put up his dukes. No different than daddy McIlroy showing young Rory how to swing a golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

You too

Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

The father is a bare knuckle boxing fan and wants his kid to pursue his interest. No different to a football fan dressing up little whoever in the teams kit and encouraging them to play football or whatever sport or hobby the parent has. Sport in particular is littered with examples like this but as they are mainstream sports and settled people it's ok.

Here the father is trying to beef up his kid and show him how to put up his dukes. No different than daddy McIlroy showing young Rory how to swing a golf club.

So, a dad encouraging his 4 year old to drink alcohol and fight is no different to a dad showing his kid how to swing a golf club?

One of these interests isn't harmful or abusive to the child. Can you guess which one?

I've read some absolute b*llox in here but this is right up there with the most stupid.

Circuital wrote: »
    So, a dad encouraging his 4 year old to drink alcohol and fight is no different to a dad showing his kid how to swing a golf club?

One of these interests isn't harmful or abusive to the child. Can you guess which one?

I've read some absolute b*llox in here but this is right up there with the most stupid.

You're only 26 posts old, stick around for more stupid shít.

A sip of froth of Guinness and learning the skills of the sport of kings or brandishing a 3 foot metal object and swinging it around your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

No different at all ? Introducing a kid to alcohol and bare knuckle fighting both of which are illegal and detrimental to their health is the same as introducing a kid to playing a mainstream sport, playing by the rules and supporting a team . Are you sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Teaching a four year old to down a glass of Guinness is not the same as teaching your child to play sport. I'd say that whether the "parent" in question be Traveller, settled, Irish or foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You're only 26 posts old, stick around for more stupid shít.
    Uh, ok...
    Bob Harris wrote:

A sip of froth of Guinness and learning the skills of the sport of kings or brandishing a 3 foot metal object and swinging it around your head?

He didn't have to wait long in fairness

Car99 wrote: »
    No different at all ? Introducing a kid to alcohol and bare knuckle fighting both of which are illegal and detrimental to their health is the same as introducing a kid to playing a mainstream sport, playing by the rules and supporting a team . Are you sure?

You'll find most sports are detrimental to your health.
    Golf is mainstream but is still very much elitist and drives a wedge (see what I did there) between the haves and have nots of society.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Teaching a four year old to down a glass of Guinness is not the same as teaching your child to play sport. I'd say that whether the "parent" in question be Traveller, settled, Irish or foreign.

He no more dowend a glass of Guinness than he ko'd George Foreman in Madison square gardens. He'd get more alcohol in the christmas trifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Any solutions to how the cycle can be broken?

Education is how this cycle can be broken.

Not by giving them bullshít ethnic status and playing the victims every five seconds. They should be treated equally in society; both rights and responsibilities.

Reaching Leaving Cert level should be an absolute minimum standard and if their parents take them out of school, they should be prosecuted. Not to mention obvious actions like prosecuting the scumbag parent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

This has to be the most out of touch with reality post I've ever read on this site, and there is some tremendous competition for that title.
    I'm hoping it's tongue in cheek.

Glazers Out!

You'll find most sports are detrimental to your health.
    Golf is mainstream but is still very much elitist and drives a wedge (see what I did there) between the haves and have nots of society.

He no more dowend a glass of Guinness than he ko'd George Foreman in Madison square gardens. He'd get more alcohol in the christmas trifle.

Hardly surprising attitude from someone who readily admits to frequent drink driving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,334 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Hardly surprising attitude from someone who readily admits to frequent drink driving

Had a look back at what you're talking about, jesus christ almighty, what is this guy on?

EDIT : "I make sure to drink and drive responsibly."
    Well that's a relief.

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement