Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Storm Watch Fri 7 Dec 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Max gust was 72kmh overnight here outside Newport, Mayo.
    It's a weird day too, some string gusts, hail showers, heavy rain and calm with blue skies mixed in.
    It's blowing a bit outside again but nothing out of the ordinary for this location and this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some very strong gusts now, heavy driving rain. Almost lost the door off the car when getting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its a really wicked night here in SW Donegal, very strong gusts and very unpleasant, Probably the worst wind of the winter I have experienced so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ah shur at least it’s not mild dry and sticky 12 degrees eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The wind is really making a racket here in Dublin 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Nice and windy and blustery here in Dublin 10. Seems to be hitting the house differently as I hear it alot stronger!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah shur at least it’s not mild dry and sticky 12 degrees eh?

You've moved on from complaining to sarcasm I see!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ExoPolitic

there is literally nothing happening in waterford, stillest night in a long time, its odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Getting wild in Galway at the moment. I do love a bit of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Getting wild in Galway at the moment. I do love a bit of wind.

Speaking of the wind, i could feel it driving earlier on the Motorway from Galway back to Tuam. Back home now and it's not quite as windy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

Wind is unbelievably intense here by the sea in west Clare - definitely the strongest I’ve experienced so far this Winter.

The thing that makes it stand out for me is how sustained the winds are. We’ve experienced winds like this before, but in the form of briefer gusts. Tonight is like one long gust that is lasting for hours!

Unfortunately the wind blew through the house earlier too and smashed a vase! 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Nice and Wild here South Tipp Dundrum direction...heavy rain and strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Very cold night in Dubland tonight, fierce biting and raw winds too. Haven't felt such cold weather even in the snow in March. Must be the wind chill factor or something. Brrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 textiles

Very rough on north Clare coast for hours - like Aquals said, it's been relentless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Loud wind in Sligo.

Tonight way gustier than this morning though went running for an hour and there was no rain at all.

Very odd storm.

Was calm with blue sunny skies midday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

quite shocked at the strenght of the winds tonight ,in the maynooth area working the death shift some very large limbs of trees down in the surrounding area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Not even a puff of wind ( Dublin 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A wild night of sustained high winds with some ferocious gusts and sudden heavy deluges. The whole dwelling rattled at times. west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Must be due to squally showers because in general these very strong gusts are missing weather stations. It happens, nobody actually lives at weather stations.

Just saying, if you want to see a storm, look at day 9 of the ECM run, this would rival Darwin if it came off. Too far out to be very concerned yet but the pattern favours a strong westerly windstorm eventually.

The 15-16 day panels of the GFS also look stormy but more towards a winter wonderland sort of outcome. There again, that could be taken off the table (and put back on) a few times before we might be very sure about it.

However, for mid-December this is a lot of interesting weather, quite often the stretch before Christmas gets fairly bland and mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Dublin Zoo have cancelled their Wild Lights tonight, due to forecasted heavy winds. I thought the event was last night?

No doubt that people are up in arms, and one has wondered where the yellow warning for Dublin is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Dublin Zoo have cancelled their Wild Lights tonight, due to forecasted heavy winds. I thought the event was last night?

No doubt that people are up in arms, and one has wondered where the yellow warning for Dublin is.

Its on every night
    it was canceled last night and again tonight.

i have tickets for tomorrow night bought in september hope its not canceled again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wild night in Sligo with heavy gusts. While some of the 70 knot storms caused damage in other areas Sligo only got 50 knots with these.

Last night we were 50 to 55 knots all night resulting in a broken toucan ornament of 23 years (survived all other storms) branches everywhere and most importantly a damaged rain gauge n bent basketball hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Was it mentioned earlier in the thread that the top gust yesterday (7th) was 55 knots at Malin Head? (54 at Belmullet and Mace Head, 53 at Finner, Shannon and Sherkin Island, 52 at Valentia). So far today, looking at the hourly data on met.ie, the top gusts (first one in the past hour or 1800h) appear to be 61 knots at Sherkin (1800h), 60 at Valentia (1700h), 58 at Mace Head (1500h). Not as high today further north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wind blowing most of the day in North Kerry. Rain coming in torrents and then gone for a while. An odd day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Wind blowing most of the day in North Kerry. Rain coming in torrents and then gone for a while. An odd day!

Rain in Kerry odd?!! Very blustery day in North Cork. Showers are prolonged too but nice to listen to from the comfort of the living room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Don't mind this weather, at least it feels wintery. Anything but the dreaded mild persistent rain with a blanket of grey cloud.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Don't mind this weather, at least it feels wintery. Anything but the dreaded mild persistent rain with a blanket of grey cloud.

Instead we’ve cold persistent rain with a bitter wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

It's not persistent where I am, just showery, I suspect it's also only showery where you are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Clonmel1000,quick question for you,what kind of a day had ye in your home town today,was there many showers passing

• Advertisement

Clonmel1000,quick question for you,what kind of a day had ye in your home town today,was there many showers passing

It wasn’t actually to bad today as opposed to yesterday. Windy and cold though there was a couple of showers this morning and one this evening about 5pm or after. Yesterday was a lot worse of a day in fairness. I much preferred the dry mild benign weather of Thursday.

Advertisement