Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Delivery driver sues pub for defamation after barman said €10 note was fake.

• 09-02-2018 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭

A man says he was defamed when he was told by a barman that a €10 note he used to pay for a pint of lager was fake, the High Court heard.
    Leonard Nolan (53) sued Laurence Lounge Ltd, trading as Grace's Pub of Rathmines, Dublin, for alleged defamation in the pub on April 24, 2013.
    He was awarded €5,000 plus costs in the Circuit Court in 2016.

The pub appealed to the High Court which, on Friday, adjourned the matter to next week for legal submissions.

Asked by his counsel Jeremy Maher how he felt: "First I was nervous then I was devastated, words could not describe what I felt at being called a cheat".

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/delivery-driver-sues-south-dublin-pub-for-defamation-after-barman-said-10-note-was-fake-high-court-hears-36587091.html
    Seems a bit strong to get money and claim to be defamed about it. I've been questioned about the legitimacy of money before when buying or selling in various shops or restaurants, its a tad irritating but not giving me an anxiety attack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Compo culture. Probably needed the money to get a curry. :):).
    Not a small chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems a bit strong to get money and claim to be defamed about it. I've been questioned about the legitimacy of money before when buying or selling in various shops or restaurants, its a tad irritating but not giving me an anxiety attack.

Even worse is claiming that the local Garda did tests on the note to confirm it was genuine ,only for local Gardai to take the stand as tell the court no such tests are done at any stations and they were not asked by anyone on the particular day at the station ,
    So it is blatantly obvious he's lying about what he is claiming,
    But expect him to receive compensation of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Leonard was nervous and devastated

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Wasters , how are we entertaining them , the mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Gatling wrote: »
    But expect him to receive compensation of some sort

Well he has. €5k awarded by the circuit court. The pub has appealed it to the high. If overturned and the costs are awarded against him in the high, he won't be drinking any pints for awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭enricoh

A fairly sensitive soul. A 53 year old delivery driver I would have thought would be used to the trials and tribulations of life. Obviously not, especially with no win no fee solicitors about!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fast food delivery man, I'd say he takes some work home with him.

We have turned into one compo chasing, litigious little country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

Wait a minute.

His story is that he left the pub, got it checked by the Gardaí and then went back into the pub to inform the barman that the Gardaí had verified it was real.

The Gardaí - on the surface of it, as credible a witness you could have in an Irish court case - have denied this and said they don't even have such a machine to check the legitimacy of notes.

And he WON the case?

What the fúck is wrong with the courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I thought defamation had to be written/published...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

A friend of mine clipped another drivers wing mirror in traffic and they claimed for whiplash.

cars were barely moving , the claimant said she couldn't attend work, my friend knew where she worked ( polish community , they all know each other ) and went and took pictures of her at work and her car being there and gave them to the insurance company but they said they couldn't use them .

They also said they were going to pay out as when the judge sees there was impact he will rule against them , over ten grand the c##£ got for a broken wing mirror.

My friend had to sell their car and go down to one car between them after the claim as the insurance was too high , this country is a joke when it comes to claims

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The bottom button on the shirt said "fcuk this" and let go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Haha the gut hanging out in the picture of him and all! Maybe he needs the money for tailored clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

"Under common law, to constitute defamation, a claim must generally be false and must have been made to someone other than the person defamed.[2] Some common law jurisdictions also distinguish between spoken defamation, called slander, and defamation in other media such as printed words or images, called libel.[3]"

According to wikipedia it wasn't even defamation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Odhinn wrote: »
    I thought defamation had to be written/published...

Isn't that Libel?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Wasn't even the same note Des was given, that was presented in court. And they sided with yer man anyway. Good job he likes take aways, as he'll be drinking a fair bit at home from now on. The likes of him won't be welcome in many a public house.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

Something needs to be done about this compo entitlement culture, otherwise insurance will just be unaffordable for the rest of us plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

SeaFields wrote: »
    Well he has. €5k awarded by the circuit court. The pub has appealed it to the high. If overturned and the costs are awarded against him in the high, he won't be drinking any pints for awhile.

If he has feck all money or assets, it won't really matter if costs are awarded against him as he won't be able to pay them.

I'm surprised that the pub appealed €5k. It's highly likely that if the pub win, they will end up paying their own costs which could easily be well in excess of the circuit court costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭wyf437gn6btzue

I`m starting to get more and more convinced that we are starting to pour an unhealthy amount of resources into stupid people.

How on earth does any sane judge decide to relieve a business of over 5k to give to some doughnut who got his feelings hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭enricoh

Just saw the photo of him, I wonder do any of the customers chips or chicken balls etc go astray during the delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

For a man with no neck, he has some fecking neck on him to be suing over that.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I really don't see the point of commenting on his physical appearance, it's irrelevant and immature.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. What if he is reading this?

Don't mind them, Leonard. Chins up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If he has feck all money or assets, it won't really matter if costs are awarded against him as he won't be able to pay them.

I'm surprised that the pub appealed €5k. It's highly likely that if the pub win, they will end up paying their own costs which could easily be well in excess of the circuit court costs.

Garnish his salary or welfare payments.

Haha the gut hanging out in the picture of him and all! Maybe he needs the money for tailored clothes!

O maera camping ya mean

I'd love to see his insurance policy for delivering fast food for profit .

enricoh wrote: »
    Just saw the photo of him, I wonder do any of the customers chips or chicken balls etc go astray during the delivery!

You mean get delivered.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has anyone been to Rathmines Station recently? Its a very narrow pair of doors into the public office. Nooooooo way he's getting in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

BattleCorp wrote: »

Garnish his salary or welfare payments.
    Hmmmm garnish....

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

If a lady can get compo for being asked of she's going to pay for a bottle of wine she'd already bought and paid for in another shop, I can't see how someone publicly raising doubts about the authenticity of the note you're tendering can be any different.

I certainly wouldn't like to be accused in public of passing a suspected dud note, I doubt anyone would.

Establishments do need to protect themselves against counterfeit notes, but it needs to be done discreetly, not as a triumphant announcement to anyone in earshot if there is a suspicion.

-Nice jibes about his looks too folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Hold the f*cking phone, he won?!

That's it, I don't want to live on this planet anymore... When's the shuttle for the first colony to Mars taking off?????

Advertisement