Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Forerunner 235 €120 in Argos

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yeah that's a fantastic price for a solid running watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Brilliant price for that. Have had the 235 for 2+ years and not a single problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

How is heart rate accuracy and battery life ? Its 4 year old model and have heard negative things ! Thank u

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

How is heart rate accuracy and battery life ? Its 4 year old model and have heard negative things ! Thank u

Got rid of a Fitbit Versa and got this instead about a year ago. Battery life is great. Even though it's waterproof I charge it each day while in the shower and that's it. If only wearing for workouts/runs etc... you should still get a couple of weeks between charges. Haven't done any serious research but heart rate and sleep seemed comparable to the Fitbit. I've read about heart rate inaccuracies on these but never experienced it and a separate chest strap monitor, will always give better results than any of these built in wrist monitors. Solid watch, fast GPS and a bargain at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Nice, thanks OP.

I've reserved one while I research. Is there anything else in the same ballpark that's comparable?

I have a cheapo tracker and have been meaning to get something like this. Use an android phone, presume that doesn't complicate things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Cheers.
    Ordered one to replace my Huawei W1 which has packed in.
    Out of stock in liffey Valley but available from Wed /Fri

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve reserved one but might leave it. I currently have a charge 2, it has a good battery life and can record cycles aswell as runs. The garmin does not seem to be able to do cycles

Got rid of a Fitbit Versa and got this instead about a year ago. Battery life is great. Even though it's waterproof I charge it each day while in the shower and that's it. If only wearing for workouts/runs etc... you should still get a couple of weeks between charges. Haven't done any serious research but heart rate and sleep seemed comparable to the Fitbit. I've read about heart rate inaccuracies on these but never experienced it and a separate chest strap monitor, will always give better results than any of these built in wrist monitors. Solid watch, fast GPS and a bargain at that price.

Thanks I was thinking about versa as fitbit has a big community! Why do you charge it daily if i may ask !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Nice, thanks OP.

I've reserved one while I research. Is there anything else in the same ballpark that's comparable?

I have a cheapo tracker and have been meaning to get something like this. Use an android phone, presume that doesn't complicate things?

It's one of the older Garmin models but pretty well regarded, detailed review here.

No problem using an Android phone, you just need to install their Garmin Connect app, works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Thanks OP, grabbed one in Drogheda early this morning. I remember this being close to 300 euro in price a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ULMarc

I've had its sibling, the 230, which doesn't have the HRM for 5 years. The battery is still grand. I can't speak for HR accuracy of course. I use a chest strap with mine.

Though the watch is useless for both pool and open water swimming. If you had interest in swimming the cheapest option from Garmin would be the 735xt. Otherwise the 235 is still a fantastic choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Weird, I reserved one, got the email and went to check it there for when I could collect but it doesn't have a reservation number?

Anyone have a spare reservation they didn't use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Heads up for people whose local argos mightn't have one in stock, got a similar watch using Harvey Norman's price match promise. Don't let them fudge you off saying that it has to be in stock in a local argos, any one will do.

As far as I know, curry's, Powercity and DID do similar price match promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rossie11

Back up to 180euro again
    damn it..

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

Hi, have a code and just on the way to collect. Will they honour the €120?

sheldon16 wrote: »
    Hi, have a code and just on the way to collect. Will they honour the €120?

Yes they should show them the mail with price

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭brennarr

iggy wrote: »
    Cheers.
    Ordered one to replace my Huawei W1 which has packed in.
    Out of stock in liffey Valley but available from Wed /Fri

I reserved for Liffey Valley too but didn't get a reservation number - might not now be able to get it for €120 now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

If you didn't get a reservation number, you didn't have a reservation.

Soarer wrote: »
    If you didn't get a reservation number, you didn't have a reservation.

Yeah, I got the reservation email less the code as it had to be delivered to the store.

I have a reservation code for another store for the €120 but I won't be able to make it today - I doubt they will honor the price on that email?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Soarer

brennarr wrote: »
    Yeah, I got the reservation email less the code as it had to be delivered to the store.

I have a reservation code for another store for the €120 but I won't be able to make it today - I doubt they will honor the price on that email?

I'd say ring them and ask.

The delivered to store part is irrelevant. You'd still have gotten a code if it was a valid reservation. Literally in the last 5 minutes, I've gotten the text to say mine has been delivered to the store, and I have a reservation code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

brennarr wrote: »
    I reserved for Liffey Valley too but didn't get a reservation number - might not now be able to get it for €120 now :mad:

Same here.
    Was supposed to be in stock from tomorrow.
    Anyone recommend something similar for roughly same price?

iggy wrote: »
    Same here.
    Was supposed to be in stock from tomorrow.
    Anyone recommend something similar for roughly same price?

go for fitbit versa or versa 2 with a bit higher price.....very good fitness trackers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

go for fitbit versa or versa 2 with a bit higher price.....very good fitness trackers

Big difference between a running watch and a fitness tracker.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

HR is poor on the 230 and 235. I have both.

Casey78 wrote: »

Agree....Versa does most of the stuff 235 does barring having its own GPS. So if you cannot carry your phone on a run then dont go with a Versa

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Casey78 wrote: »

Care to expand on that.

I’ve decided to keep my Fitbit as it offers more functionality. I’ve a charge 2 so it uses the GPS of the phone. And connects to Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

ted1 wrote: »
    Care to expand on that.

I’ve decided to keep my Fitbit as it offers more functionality. I’ve a charge 2 so it uses the GPS of the phone. And connects to Strava.

Having a watch with its own GPS is much better than carrying a phone around on a run. If you don't mind then charge 2 or whatever all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Offer has expired

Soarer wrote: »
    I'd say ring them and ask.

The delivered to store part is irrelevant. You'd still have gotten a code if it was a valid reservation. Literally in the last 5 minutes, I've gotten the text to say mine has been delivered to the store, and I have a reservation code.

They honoured the €120. They rang the other store with my reservation number to confirm the price and if it hadn't been bought already so all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Just picked mine up in Blanchardstown. No issues with them honoring the reduced price once I showed the email.

Advertisement