Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could change one thing about Ireland...

Comments

I'd make politicians more accountable - starting with a mandatory course for all voting age citizens on their personal responsibility to vote for politicians who will actually improve life for all the people in the Country, as opposed to the current method of political parties using demographics to "target" enough votes to get them elected...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The weather, think France has the best all round climate, I'd happily change ours for theirs.

You ever lived in France all year round? There's better on offer. California would prob be the best if they got a tiny bit more rain. Still fcuk all rain but enough, and 80% of the time it's warm, dry and sunny but never too hot.

I change the pubs and clubs all closing so early, ridiculous in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bring back the death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Outlaw private health care and private schools.

Everybody should contribute to the same system. If rich people want their children to go to better schools then they should invest in the whole system.

Eh, everyone who works does contribute to the "same system"

It's called paying taxes.

Private health is something you pay for if you choose and it's available in Scandinavia too for example. Also, by using a private health provider you take yourself out ofthe public system thereby (in theory) freeing a place for a less well off person.

Private schools: poorly understood that the state provides the same per student subsidies to the private school as they provide to a public school. The parents then pay the extra. The private student gets what they are entitled to via parents taxes. Many parents sacrifice a lot, cars, holidays etc to pay the extra.

Your "everyone gets the same" has never worked. Even in north Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I'm sure its the 1657th time its been said but, THE WEATHER.

I'd love a North American climate. I'd happily suffer 6/7 months of harsh freezing winter and enjoy day to day dry sunshine from May to September.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

seasidedub wrote: »

Private health is something you pay for if you choose and it's available in Scandinavia too for example. Also, by using a private health provider you take yourself out ofthe public system thereby (in theory) freeing a place for a less well off person.

Private schools: poorly understood that the state provides the same per student subsidies to the private school as they provide to a public school. The parents then pay the extra. The private student gets what they are entitled to via parents taxes. Many parents sacrifice a lot, cars, holidays etc to pay the extra.

Not true
    The private healthcare system in Ireland takes consultants and beds out of the public system

The state shouldn't be subsidising private schools when many of the state schools are falling down or bursting at the seams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

A united Ireland first and foremost.

Many negative posts on here re our very high taxes, take car insurance for example, would they (in NI) really want to abandon their UK system for ours? would they also give up free GP visits courtesy of the NHS????

We may WANT (demand) a United Ireland, but maybe they don't. I would only change that if there was consensus...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Free daycare for children, in creches run by only OAPs so the kids learn from the people that built Ireland.
    Also it keeps old folks young at heart and challenged so they don't waste away home alone.

biko wrote: »
    Free daycare for children, in creches run by only OAPs so the kids learn from the people that built Ireland.
    Also it keeps old folks young at heart and challenged so they don't waste away home alone.

I’m bordering on being one of those OAPs. My retired mates wouldn’t have time for helping in crèches! They wonder how they ever found time for work! They’re busy with active retirement groups, walking, swimming, golf, days out etc. not all old folks sit home alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Unite it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Many negative posts on here re our very high taxes, take car insurance for example, would they (in NI) really want to abandon their UK system for ours? would they also give up free GP visits courtesy of the NHS????

We may WANT (demand) a United Ireland, but maybe they don't. I would only change that if there was consensus...

There will be consensus. The partition of such a small island is senseless.

However, it’s not romantic ideals that will unite Ireland but capitalist ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Unite it.

Untie it from what ?
    Oops, my dyslexia is strong this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

There will be consensus. The partition of such a small island is senseless.

However, it’s not romantic ideals that will unite Ireland but capitalist ones.

Ironic that this island "may" become one political entity just as the neibouring island "may" split in two?

With Scotland possibly handing over control to Brussels while NI may possibly be run by Dublin, leaving London to support England & Wales :)

It's all change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Unite it.

We can’t afford to take on Northern Ireland. It gets a disproportionate amount of u.k. funding for its size. It doesn’t matter if you are a tricolour waver or a Union Jack waver. The Republic of Ireland cannot over to make N.I. part of the republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

seasidedub wrote: »

In what specific way would ensuring that everyone, regardless of wealth, has access to the same healthcare and education 'not work'?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

More opportunities for the less privileged and connected/less nepotism

• Registered Users Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Since we're into summer season and festivals in full flow I would like to see the Irish camping music festivals bring in a law that all campsites are BYEco, in otherwards if you don't clean up after yourself you might be fined or something to that extent. The same with single day events like Slane and the like.

Slane
    0_D8nT6OOVUAAceU_.jpg

Electric Picnic
    image.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

My change would be to round up everyone who rants like this and deposit them on an uninhabited island.
    How do you think they founded Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I would make It illegal for people to start sentences with 'listen or 'look it'.

I would fine people, especially TDs who speak like Bertie's Dis and Dat.

All adults who use upspeak e.g. Miriam O'Callaghan, Brendan what's his name and many many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Since we're into summer season and festivals in full flow I would like to see the Irish camping music festivals bring in a law that all campsites are BYEco, in otherwards if you don't clean up after yourself you might be fined or something to that extent. The same with single day events like Slane and the like.

How would you 'police' this?

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    How would you 'police' this?

With attack dogs, batons, rubber bullets and teargas. A few kicks in the hole might be worth adding into the mix to keep it interesting.

JayZeus wrote:
    With attack dogs, batons, rubber bullets and teargas. A few kicks in the hole might be worth adding into the mix to keep it interesting.

Haha excellent, just create a riot at all festival events, at least it ll be a bit of crack

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Our unhealthy obsession with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I'd change the welfare system . It rewards people for having lots of kids and their parent/ parents are to lazy to work . My friend is paying 1300 a month rent for a small 2 bed apartment. He has 2 kids and a girlfriend. The banks will only lend him 180,000 which won't buy you anything. He hasn't missed a months rent in 4 years and the mortgage loan he wants ( 280,000 ) is less than the rent he's paying .

Across the road from his apartment are two families living in nice semi detached houses. They don't work , have 5 or 6 kids each and pay for nothing. Anytime I see one of the women she's always in her pyjamas. Now how is that system fair?? One person is breaking his b@llix working and is worse off than the person who does nothing expect fire out babies for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The weather.

I'd change the welfare system . It rewards people for having lots of kids and their parent/ parents are to lazy to work . My friend is paying 1300 a month rent for a small 2 bed apartment. He has 2 kids and a girlfriend. The banks will only lend him 180,000 which won't buy you anything. He hasn't missed a months rent in 4 years and the mortgage loan he wants ( 280,000 ) is less than the rent he's paying .

Across the road from his apartment are two families living in nice semi detached houses. They don't work , have 5 or 6 kids each and pay for nothing. Anytime I see one of the women she's always in her pyjamas. Now how is that system fair?? One person is breaking his b@llix working and is worse off than the person who does nothing expect fire out babies for a living.

or maybe theres something fundamentally wrong with the world of finance, land and property?

or maybe theres something fundamentally wrong with the world of finance, land and property?

Yes I'd agree with that too, but I think it's unfair that layabouts/bums get things to easy here .

Yes I'd agree with that too, but I think it's unfair that layabouts/bums get things to easy here .

ive spoken to many unemployed people, their lives dont seem all that great, i do personally believe the issues are truly with the entities ive mentioned above, but these are very intangible at best, so its becomes easier to simply blame the unemployed

ive spoken to many unemployed people, their lives dont seem all that great, i do personally believe the issues are truly with the entities ive mentioned above, but these are very intangible at best, so its becomes easier to simply blame the unemployed

Where did i blame unemployed people on anything??That's their own fault their lives aren't great . I just don't think it's fair that they should they be given things free, while other people have to go and work for it.

• Advertisement

I’d make it an offence to hijack threads and take them OT. Punishable by two roots up the hole. Even for the unemployed.

Advertisement