Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A2 or bust

• 01-01-2019 4:30pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In a slightly mocking tone, this is said with the knowledge that this is possibly the last year with family and work I can put in a reasonable effort into racing in any way shape or form. I am not quitting after this year but I definitely won't have the time to take it seriously anymore.
    Starting the year at 84kg (putting on a 4kg over Christmas).
    The good news is that I know a dream weight of 80kg is achievable as I hit it last year with minimal effects to power. I am starting closer to it this year as well.

Aims for the year:
    - Sub 80kg from March 1st and not to go back above it for the rest of the year.
    - I also have the potential to win an A4 race, something I didn't really believe last year, if I can stop falling back into old Audax habits and getting lost en route, I think I can definitely get a few points, provided I work on my sprint.
    - Starting this year in Semi Limit in the league, so aiming for Semi Scratch by end of season
    - get HbA1c down to under 50mmol/L, sitting in the sixties again
    - I'll wait for the calendar to come out before picking races
    - Aiming for the Dun Laoghaire open swim organised by Half Moon Water Polo club. So I will be taking up swimming again. Haven't done it for years and after a dip in the sea today, I look like a drowning fish, so I want to be competitive for this. It is a 2.2km open race so this will require alot of effort on my part.

How to get there (in broad strokes):
    - Finishing off the heavy boozing today. Drinking will be reserved for winning races, births, deaths and marriages. Hopefully this means I will not be having a drop until march at the earliest.
    - Diet: back to the diet I took up in August last year, which was fairly simple. Eat healthy, cut down on carbs, replace breakfasts and lunches with shakes. No eating after 9pm
    - Training. Back to commuting from the morning, so rain, hail or shine, every day is on the bike going forward. Currently working out longer, hillier routes for the commute. I also have a range of exercises done out for building up other muscle groups to both strengthen weak spots as well as stretch out and train myself to be better. I was contemplating a gym membership but the truth is I won't make it to one.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So first week over and it has already been up and down.

Coming back to work was a bigger shock this year than most even though I popped in over the break and done a load of stuff from home. Overdone it on the first three days and my legs were in bits over the weekend with pains through my knees. Giving up the booze did not go as well as planned for the first week, and its safe to say I probably drank more that week than over Christmas in general.

Positive notes:
    - Down over a kilo already so weight is now 83kg
    - Diet is not as difficult this time as the last time to stick too
    - I can get to 60kmph on a track bike with 46x18 gearing, so less worried about my ability to get good cadence in

Negative notes:
    - Giving up the booze was harder than expected, which is a worrying sign considering the number of addicts in the family. Alot like bold food though, if its not in the house, I won't touch it so now that stocks are depleted it should be less of an issue.
    - Haven't started the workouts or swimming yet but will start it by weeks end.

Club League is starting 18th April - starting Semi Limit so balls out for the first few weeks to try and get upto Semi Scratch

Track league - should be able to make a few dates this year for a change, so hopefully at least half the races

Calendar is up on the CI website so here are the targeted events, two or there may not be possible due to family stuff or not being upgraded but hopefully I get a good crack at most of them:

2/3 Dublin Wheelers Open Races
    10/3 March Newbridge GP
    16/3 Lucan GP - Provided it doesn't interfere with family
    31/3 Des Hanlon memorial
    20/4 Gorey 3 day (provided upgrade achieved) - not sure if I will be allowed, upgrade or not as the dates are not family friendly but I will ask if I manage an upgrade
    28/4 Deenside Cup
    5/5 Frank O'Rourke Memorial
    12/5 Shay Shay Elliot Memorial (provided upgrade achieved)
    9/6 Paddy Flanagan Memorial
    22/6 Noel and Kieran Hammond Memorials
    23/6 Eddie Tobin Memorial Road Race
    26/6 Stephen Roche Grand Prix (if upgraded)
    13/7 Danny O'Shea Time Trial
    21/7 Seamus Kennedy Memorial
    27/7 Christy MacManus & Ronnie Coates Memorial
    31/8 Laragh Classic (if upgraded) - also if not marshalling
    15/9 Cycling Ireland Masters & A3 Road Race Championships
    29/9 Cycling Ireland Hill Climb Championships

Done my first FTP test today.

3.41W/kg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2071285217

I want to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Terrifying experience all round... Did you need a bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

if you havent got one already go and get a coach to do a training/season plan for you
    best money you will ever spend

wpd wrote: »
    if you havent got one already go and get a coach to do a training/season plan for you
    best money you will ever spend

Done one last year but it was wasted on me, I simply don't have time or money to follow a plan so won't be happening this year.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Done my first FTP test today.

3.41W/kg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2071285217

I want to sleep

Did you not do a warm up? I'd normally have 30mins done before the actual 20min effort.

dahat wrote: »
    Did you not do a warm up? I'd normally have 30mins done before the actual 20min effort.
    That was just the recording from the Wattbike, I did a warm up before although not as long as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck with the year ahead, sure with all that swimming you might as well through in a weekly run or two and stick in a triathlon ;-)

Ive joined pool again after years away, what amount of time do you intend putting into the pool each week?

Bambaata wrote: »
    Best of luck with the year ahead, sure with all that swimming you might as well through in a weekly run or two and stick in a triathlon ;-)
    That's not even funny
    Ive joined pool again after years away, what amount of time do you intend putting into the pool each week?
    About 3 hours a week (1hr*3times) in the pool with an open water swim once a fortnight.

Week 2 down, better than week one.

Possibly over doing it slightly as I feel a bit run down but have had alot on in work and home so maybe just real life. Annoyed to hear the Wexford 2 Day is off, which means the only race I can realistically target as a 2 day is the Gorey 3 day :D . To be honest, this is a stretch as I would have to enter and get upgraded but I'll go for it anyway. These are the races I have before then, so basically need a minimum 5th place in all of them, DW Open Race, Newbridge GP, Lucan GP, Des Hanlon. The first is probably not realistic as its the first race of the season and likely to be lunacy at only 45km. I like Newbridge, and held onto the breakaway last year for a good bit, lost them bridging the climb after I had led them up Boston Hill , need to get some more hill work in before then. Lucan GP rarely makes for a race that has a get away but it will be a good test to see if I do or do not have a sprint in me as that's the way it always ends. Must remember not to fly off the front before the roundabout like I do every other time on that course. Des Hanlon I don't know well enough. I like it but have never finished anywhere near the front so lets hope for the best.

Positive notes:
    - Down another kilo already so just at 82kg
    - Staying off the booze this week was very easy, my plan of not having it in the house worked wonders and didn't seem to bother me

Negative notes:
    - Feeling run down, so hope its just that time of year as I don't feel I have over done it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

how long is your commute and what are you doing on it ? are you doing weekend spins as well? when is/are your rest day(s)?

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    how long is your commute and what are you doing on it ? are you doing weekend spins as well? when is/are your rest day(s)?
    Commute is 17km e/w, which will get longer as the weather improves and the evenings and mornings brighten up. I don't tend to cycle at the weekends, due to family and getting other stuff done.
    Rest days are essentially the weekend. Although occasionally I have to take a vehicle for work which means I only do the commute 4 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Commute is 17km e/w, which will get longer as the weather improves and the evenings and mornings brighten up. I don't tend to cycle at the weekends, due to family and getting other stuff done.
    Rest days are essentially the weekend. Although occasionally I have to take a vehicle for work which means I only do the commute 4 days a week.

sort of the same myself. if its any use to you, keep mixing cadence in and out and never go below mind Z2. five minutes high, five minutes low as traffic lights allow. benefited me no end.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    sort of the same myself. if its any use to you, keep mixing cadence in and out and never go below mind Z2. five minutes high, five minutes low as traffic lights allow. benefited me no end.

Cheers, have been trying that, getting as high a sustainable cadence as possible between lights on the N11. Its a pain in the ass when you get a green though as you get no break :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Cheers, have been trying that, getting as high a sustainable cadence as possible between lights on the N11. Its a pain in the ass when you get a green though as you get no break :D

Could always go the back roads. Use the N11 occasionally but depending on where you commute to you might look at going up the back of the silver Tassie and then up to kiltiernan using the ballychorus road and then dropping down through step aside and through sandyfirdm less traffic, less lights, nicer roads. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Could always go the back roads. Use the N11 occasionally but depending on where you commute to you might look at going up the back of the silver Tassie and then up to kiltiernan using the ballychorus road and then dropping down through step aside and through sandyfirdm less traffic, less lights, nicer roads. Just a thought.
    I've done that a few times in rush hour, and found it to be a ballache from Belarmine tbh. Lambs Cross a pinch point, Dundrum a pinch point, I think Cram is heading to Clonskeagh, so then the Goat is a pinch point (and the estates are rat runs, parked cars and ramps). I did it a few times and switched back to the N11 as it was less stressful/ far less vehicle interactions.

When I want to extend the commute, I actually go back on myself on ferndale, ballyman, enniskerry, and then drop back down Ballycorus to the N11!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've done that a few times in rush hour, and found it to be a ballache from Belarmine tbh. Lambs Cross a pinch point, Dundrum a pinch point, I think Cram is heading to Clonskeagh, so then the Goat is a pinch point (and the estates are rat runs, parked cars and ramps). I did it a few times and switched back to the N11 as it was less stressful/ far less vehicle interactions.

When I want to extend the commute, I actually go back on myself on ferndale, ballyman, enniskerry, and then drop back down Ballycorus to the N11!

I don't like that descent down the Clonskeagh road so usually go through the industrial estate and through the back roads / estates the rest of the way, far more pleasant than the main road, if a bit more convoluted. You can get some nice repeat 30 second sprints on the hills around Mount Merrion.

Coming from South Bray so will start going along the Enniskerry way in soon enough, rather than through Bray town and the N11, you can hop down to the N11 at several points before stepaside.

Deciding on where best to start my hill repeat training, Killiney hill, the climb out of Enniskerry. Might try the Ballychorus road as a starter as I have not been up that one in years.

Week 4 down

This week was not a good week as my partner was away and I stupidly used that as an excuse to slack off. All it has done is made me feel run down and unwell.

Went for my first weekend spin in 6 months as my partner felt bad I was left home. Tried a bit of climbing, way off the mark in regards my fitness compared to 6 months ago so am going to build in some hill work on any morning I can leave early for work or don't have to get home early.

Positive notes:
    - Stuck at 82kg despite no work this week.

Negative notes:
    - I have been a lazy f*ckh*le this week

Started my cadence training this week, took a few days to get used to spinning properly again but already noticing the huge difference in my times spinning up around 100 to 110.

Also went to the track for the first time in a long time. Flying 200 off the cuff came in just shy of 15sec, which isn't terrible but I can do 3 seconds better. Gearing was 46 x 18 so I can blame that for now. Funny feeling to fell your legs fill with lactic acid in under 5 seconds

Under 81kg, and 10days left to get under 80kg.
    Fell off the wagon in regards healthy eating a few weeks ago but not terribly so, didn't gain any weight but the lose stopped.

• Advertisement

At your watts/kg it's only time before before you get out of A4, hope your season goes well this year.

I
    - Sub 80kg from March 1st and not to go back above it for the rest of the year.

Goal one on target

So first race over, i sit here with a drink after eating a heap of ****e, hoping that come work tomorrow I will be able to sit down with out pulling a face like someone kicked me square up the hole.
    So the race went OK I suppose, a few bike issues over the week were worked out but I awoke oddly calm and without the typical pre race nerves. This I found disconcerting. After numerous attempts to get everything in order, I adjusted the limit screws on my derailleur so I couldn't get to the lowest or highest cog. Overkill but I was tired after a few rough days at work.
    The race rolled out to the waiting point at the petrol station, with the typical tapping off brakes by people for some unknown reason. The Comms asked the newbies to hold up their hands. As it would turn out, most of the newbies were quite well behaved.
    We rolled out and straight upto the high 40s but unlike previous years there was no mad jump off the front. I started near the back and was cautious of the squeaking discs, so I hung out near the white line. As soon as we got on the first straight and the road was clear I overtook and made my way to the front. Again, unlike other years, there was no mad panic. In fact When coming to the front I ended up breaking away and another rider came with me, we had a few seconds quite quickly. A spectator shouted we had 10 seconds on the bunch. I resisted the temptation to shout back that there was no way for them to know that and only the following crowd could get gap times so early in an amateur race. My new colleague was spurred on by the sound of such a gap accumulating in under a minute that he drove on. I of course looked behind and realised it was about 3 seconds , and we were swallowed up for the first time that day.
    It would not be the last. I messed around up the front, remaining in the top 10 for alot of the first lap, coming round the last bend before Doreys forge, I stayed near the front but eventually just ended up in the middle. As suspected, when we got to the short climb the bunch slowed so much, that I ended up coasting from near the back to the top 5 without putting in any effort. A small push and I was on the descent near the front again.
    I took a few more digs with a man from Tipp, and another rider who I recognised but for some reason, cannot remember now. I stayed at the front with them for a bit, I did take a dig or two of the front but looking back i was just dragging people along so I slowed up and let myself fall in with the top three. Coming round the third last bend, for some reason, I broke with my plan of staying near the front and drifted back. A club mate was near the front and another just came around me. he was looking good so I tucked in two riders down and started plotting my suicide run after the next turn. The lap before when we took the second last turn there was a head/cross wind which was pushing people right. Everyone was trying to be a pro and get in the right place for protection but we had slowed so much that I had been able to cycle up on the left uninterrupted with little extra effort. The plan had formed, this was where I would make my break, where no one would be stupid enough to do it. Everyone was being conservative and trying to be smart, I would be stupid, drop a few gears, ramp upto 160rpm and go like the clappers for 5 minutes. I could see a few who would try and close me down but they would actually join me. I was in full Walter Mitty mode now, sure I practically had points on the board. Game face on, rest, relax, get the HR down and just go with the crowd till the turn. Ignore any breaks until then. Teammate was riding well, use him as a marker and that was that.
    Then it happened, a rider switched out in the middle of the bunch, right in front of my teammate and tapped the brakes. His front wheel went and the bike spun around, a guy to my left then got taken out by his rear wheel and went on top of him as he lay now facing the opposite direction. to which he had been riding. I seen another two then hit the ditch as they got knocked like bowling pins. He had went across the road, it was similar to the last time I seen a crash on this course only I was too close this time and mid bunch rather than away from the crowd. It went slowly but I was about to break my teammates leg as I couldn't figure out how to fall, it was two bikes deep before my reflexes kicked in, there was no bunny hop here that didn't end up with me in a hospital so I just took the hit. Guy behind me, I presume, panicked and swerved left (he was on my right), took out my rear wheel and left me lying down, face a few cm from someones chainring, in hindsight, this was probably great for me. I think three wheels hit my back, I have vague recollection of at least two riders falling/bouncing over me and my teammate but this I am not sure of as I wrapped my neck with my hands and just lay there. A few seconds later, that felt like minutes, I stood up. nothing broke, head was not hit. I turned to the guy beside me who let me know he was alright. I walked around asking had people hit their head, telling them to stay down. Of course being cyclists, almost everyone got up, half the crowd was gone before I even talked to the comm car to see was an ambulance on its way. A few scrapes and battered egos but all seemed, in the immediate aftermath, pretty good. One poor guy lost his CAAD12 to a snapped rear triangle. I believe he is now wondering what bike he can get to replace it without telling his partner who was on the way to collect him before the ambulance got there. I waited for the ambulance to let them know that everyone had decided to f*ck off, and rode back with an Orwellian rider. We came across a teammate of his with a flat, I had nothing to offer and I was out of chivalary so I left him there with his teammate in the decreasing temperature. Rode upto the finish, seen the end of A3 and decided it was time to go home. Thank the adrenaline I got back as by nightfall I had seized up like a rusted nut and bolt.

The only war wound I missed was the punctures on my back, presumably from a chainring as someone went over me, never even noticed until my partner pointed it out this morning

Suffering overtightened hamstrings, and my lower intercostal muscles were in bits yesterday, like I had been through a round with Rocky Balboa and I was walking like John Wayne.
    Still sore this morning but I thought I'd be able to give the Lucan GP a crack. Started off OK, windy morning, I kept close to the white line knowing the course had sitting water to the side of the road. After sitting at the back for the first 1/4 lap, I moved close to the front on the next quarter, taking a few random turns on the front, we came round the roundabout and I tore off, followed by a few we had a group of 8 very quickly but unfortunately we couldn't work together and were swallowed up quick enough, even though we definitely had the power to stay away.
    The next two laps were easy enough, I moved around the bunch, took a good few turns on the front and a few digs to lift the occasionally dropping speed.
    Coming to the last lap it was the first time we turned onto the home straight I wasn't near the front, the group swallowed me but at least 1/3 had been dropped off the back. I spent the next half lap chasing the group, the Comms came round me but I was still only 100m from the back so I dug deep, dropped into the bars and kept trying. I caught the back of the Comms car but didn't want to get in trouble, swung to the right of the car and he had his window down, as soon as we got to a straight with a clear line of sight I let a shout to say I was coming round and got a wave around. I caught the back and sat in until the next turn, everyone slowed and I shot around the outside and went from chasing the bunch to leading it like a fool yet again. Out on the Summer hill road a few people came around me and I worked hard to keep wheels. I was burnt out and I knew it. I certainly wasn't going to do anything so I figure I hang in and get the last of a decent workout. I busted myself to hang on and coming to the roundabout I was on the outside coming round to the front. I said to a clubmate I'd go from the roundabout, half joking. I done it anyway. I went round the corner at 45kmph and ramped upto 65. Held the front until about 100m from the line where the top 6 came around me where I just gave up and rolled over. Crossed the line in 10th maybe Could have had 7th if I hadn't packed it in but after the 6th came round me I forgot about top 8 and just sat up.

A good workout anyway

A bad week in general, partner was away and I got into awfully bad habits of drinking most nights and eating absolute sh1t, months of work undone in a week. By the end of the week I was tired, sluggish, knee pains and my blood sugars are all over the place.
    Anyway, night before the Boyne GP, I can't get my blood sugars down at all, over 17mmol/L all night, cannot sleep, can't stay awake, felling generally sh1tty. I was going to not bother but I had offered a lift to a club mate so thought I better. It was weird to be in that mindset of not caring, a very different prep morning ensued where I wandered round the house drinking coffee and wasting away the time. Finally got in the car and went to pick up my teammate but I didn't have that pre race buzz going, which was annoying, as I really need that to keep me on form.
    Get out in plenty of time and slowly get ready, at this point, I am just planning on spinning round and pulling out after a lap or two. Anyway, the race kicks off, neutralised ot the second turn but the bunch is slow, so slow I wonder do people realise that the neutralisation has stopped. We come round the next bend and then people start to open up a bit, the speed jumps. Still not in the humour and try to stay in the bunch, but there is alot of that twitchy random breaking going on, eventually I just get fed up with it all and the first proper bump I spin away around the bunch and move to the front. A few lads have made a go of it but I just climb at my own intensity, not giving a sh1t, I was happy to drag people up the hill. Coming round to the Golf club, I go again at my own intensity and with the tail wind, easily crest the hill dragging the bunch with me, who all then swarm me one the descent, there would be no more downhill rests for the rest of the day it would appear with most people putting out more power during the downhill with the tailwind than at any other point in the race. The next few laps would continue in the same fashion. I done a few turns on the front with the head wind but more out of a want to keep moving than some drive to break anyone. The hills were much the same. coming through the bunch with ease and getting overtaken on the downhill. Comin to the last lap though, I decided I might give it a lash early on, so we hit the main descent and I put the hammer down, tagged onto two lads for cover for a minute, came round them and there was myself and a young lad at the front, coming into the corner at about 60km an hour, the marshals had given us loads of space. The bunch had continuously come to a stop after that corner, so i thought just hammer it here, if nothing else, you'll thin out the bunch, alas the young lad in front of me hit his brakes entering the corner and I had to change lines very quickly. i know its A4 but it was pure luck that he didn't take down the entire bunch with that wreckless braking. Anyway, it ruined my stride and that was that. I stayed up near the front but had no intention of sprinting, just waiting for people to come around me but as we got closer to the line, it wasn't happening. I set in my head the furniture shop as the place to go for an early attempt, but about 70m before that, two lads came round me and went for it, I tried to jump onto their wheel but my left quad stopped responding and I ended up pulling to the side and letting everyone one go around me.

I rolled back in, tea or coffee wasn't out yet so I just hit the road. A cracking race which the marshals have to be applauded as being excellent, just annoyed with myself for being in such poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Fair play Cram, sounds like you are plenty strong enough to get the upgrade this year.

I went into this race with a similar mindset, pretty much looking for an excuse not to race or pull up early, after a hectic few weeks had me really tired. Unlike you however I was blowing out my arse on the first lap. The second lap was grand but for some reason I just sat up about 10mtrs before the crest of the hill at the carpark on the second pass rather than close the 1 mtr gap to the back of the bunch.

I'll blame it on stupidly sitting too near the back for the first two laps and having to do too much stop/sprint efforts as the bunch randomly came to near stops and not my lack of fitness!! two lessons of the day are I need to start nearer the front and also need to do a warmup.

Crocked wrote: »
    I went into this race with a similar mindset, pretty much looking for an excuse not to race or pull up early, after a hectic few weeks had me really tired. Unlike you however I was blowing out my arse on the first lap. The second lap was grand but for some reason I just sat up about 10mtrs before the crest of the hill at the carpark on the second pass rather than close the 1 mtr gap to the back of the bunch.
    I was glad to be near the front cresting that hill, alot were expecting people to coast down with the wind and the length but there were a few lads at the front who hammered that descent on each lap. As soon as they were round the next two corners though the anchor dropped back to 25kmph. I found that descent the hardest part to hold onto for.

Des Hanlon yesterday and i am still feeling it today with aches in the shoulders. Set off nicely into a mild headwind but a warning from the comms that if the Ladies race got within sniffing distance, we would be neutralised kept everyone moving. I decided this week that due to pains in the back of my chest over the week, like a chest infection, I would refuse to do anything at the front. This sort of worked.
    Race took off and we tipped along nicely, I stayed up near the front but I made a point of being a d1ck and moving in behind people whenever I got near the front, and flat out refused to make any effort at the front. About 18km in though, the pace ramped up for the Preme. It caught me off guard and a few lads put the hammer down, it wasn't a huge acceleration but I badly timed it and ended up going back over half way through the pack. I managed to move right and spin it out but my HR went through the roof closing the gap to them, I had red lined and felt awful. On a positive note, I recovered really quickly but I was cooked alot easier than I had expected, my fears were coming true, despite being able to dance up hills at the end of last year, this year I was way off form in that regard. I sat in with the top lads and was cautious about energy expenditure, my wheels are awesome, and I closed in on most people freewheeling on the slight descents. Coming close to Castlecomer I put the pace up a bit, it is a tight turn and we were mainly together, and got to the front and came into the corner off the front slightly and took it at close to 60km an hour, got round the next bend as well, and then the pain began. 100m up the hill, I though I was holding a nice pace, at the front, not where I wanted to be but made a point of just not blowing up. Well I'll be damned, the more enthusiastic behind me had no interest in this and turned up the pressure. The bunch split very quickly, I tried to tag onto the back of the 20 man group but was just to far back. I looked behind me and it looked like the rest were in pieces, so I had to keep going for any hope of something happening. I dropped gears and started spinning. One of the lead cars pulled in for the split group. I spent the next 20km almost within view of the bunch or at least the comms car, everytime I got closer they would surge and pull away again. I worked with two lads, well, one of two, the younger guy seemed to have no concept of how to work together and I eventually just started ignoring him. I felt cooked and my body kept saying, leave it, your done, roll home. I decided that my body should have no say in the matter, I started getting otu of the saddle, rocking left to right, ignoring the early signs of cramp. Again, the small descents were great for recovery and my HR would plummet in a few seconds while descending. When I was within 300m, a small group of 5 caught me and we worked really well together, I got a minutes rest and then myself, a lad on a Colnaglo, a Red Shirt and a few others started dragging them back. There was a drastic slow down in the bunch as they came across a bunch of dropped A1s and A3s. I put the hammer down and two of us dragged everyone up to within spitting distance. Just as we reached them though the rest of the dropped bunch caught us and we all came together just before the turn for the home straight. What looked like a nice finish with 30 riders fighting, was now alot more. I had overestimated how far from the turn the finish was, we hit the 3km sign where the road starts the gentle descent, we were tipping 50kmph and slowly speeding up, legs had recovered, I worked my way up and tried to go early but every one was speeding up. North of 55kmph and I was being overtaken. I moved over to the white line and tried to stay near the front but the bunch was so fast and so fluid that I was jumping from front to back repeatedly over the last km. I could see the home straight and was in a bad position. The Gardai had closed the road and the bunch was across the road. I mistook the sign on the road as the 100m mark and shot off at the 200m mark rather than the 100m mark. I realised the mistake as I came round the bunch and seen the 100m sign. I was cooked and they were just warming up. I kept right and rolled in out of the way.
    A great race and the marshalling was amazing, two teammates in the top 10 so was happy with that, and happy that despite working harder than most on the day, I was still fit enough to contest, if only i could learn to read. One teammate was laughing at my sprinting on the hoods technique, and rightly so, my mad early sprint was not planned and I simply didn't even think enough to drop down, so a lesson learned there.

Well I got one lesson right, even when you losing, act like your winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

CramCycle wrote:
    Well I got one lesson right, even when you losing,

Funny, always thought you were Swords for some reason.

Advertisement