Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

cefh17 wrote: »
    I'm trying to get p60 as proof of employment, can't seem to get it to show without salary details. Any ideas? Would a redacted p60 be okay?

I would've thought so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Theirs loads of mistakes in the spreadsheet on what levels certain courses are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

cefh17 wrote: »
    I'm trying to get p60 as proof of employment, can't seem to get it to show without salary details. Any ideas? Would a redacted p60 be okay?
    1) If you are employed: a recent payslip / most recent P60 / letter from your employer confirming this (amounts must be redacted/blacked out from financial documents).

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

FFVII wrote: »
    1) If you are employed: a recent payslip / most recent P60 / letter from your employer confirming this (amounts must be redacted/blacked out from financial documents).

Payslip is perfect, thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

Has anybody done the management courses in UL?

If anyone has any experience in completing this type of course, I'd love some feedback. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Were you working in IT obviously?
    Actually I was unemployed at the time. The last job I had was as an office manager and one of my tasks was to update our Wordpress website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

So many courses sound interesting but i can't see what careers you could have with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I literally scanned through all 215 odd postgrad courses, taking my time yesterday, singled a few out for further inspection.

Today I did the same with the 250 odd undergrad courses (approx).

Bit of a minefield really, as someone who takes every angle and researched stuff down til the very last detail, looking up postgraduate courses to take a change in career is mind boggling on university courses here in general.

Some of the “career prospects” section on springboard leaves a lot to be desired, quite vague with no real promise of anything.

I was bombarded by that Innopharma crowd last summer from springboard ringing me constantly to start a course. It was as bad as recruiters’ calls. Whenever I quizzed her on what I would actually be doing post course she went quiet “shift work”.

Some very interesting courses don’t get me wrong. Just hard to see whether many of the level 6 and 7 ones would be substantial enough to get you in a meaningful position.
    And then if you choose to go level 9 as someone who’s previously did a level 8 degree, you’re taking the gamble on dropping a huge way in salary in a new sector, despite having put yourself round the bend for a year minimum doing a course outside of a full time job. There should be more of a resource platform on actual real life stories of people who have completed the courses and what they are doing now, not the fake advertised ones on the homepage. Or some industry / employer engagement where you can ask questions. When you’re in the course is far too late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

And then if you choose to go level 9 as someone who’s previously did a level 8 degree, you’re taking the gamble on dropping a huge way in salary in a new sector, despite having put yourself round the bend for a year minimum doing a course outside of a full time job.

Well that's generally the case for anyone looking to change fields professionally, can't blame Springboard for that.

I literally scanned through all 215 odd postgrad courses, taking my time yesterday, singled a few out for further inspection.

Today I did the same with the 250 odd undergrad courses (approx).

Bit of a minefield really, as someone who takes every angle and researched stuff down til the very last detail, looking up postgraduate courses to take a change in career is mind boggling on university courses here in general.

Some of the “career prospects” section on springboard leaves a lot to be desired, quite vague with no real promise of anything.

I was bombarded by that Innopharma crowd last summer from springboard ringing me constantly to start a course. It was as bad as recruiters’ calls. Whenever I quizzed her on what I would actually be doing post course she went quiet “shift work”.

Some very interesting courses don’t get me wrong. Just hard to see whether many of the level 6 and 7 ones would be substantial enough to get you in a meaningful position.
    And then if you choose to go level 9 as someone who’s previously did a level 8 degree, you’re taking the gamble on dropping a huge way in salary in a new sector, despite having put yourself round the bend for a year minimum doing a course outside of a full time job. There should be more of a resource platform on actual real life stories of people who have completed the courses and what they are doing now, not the fake advertised ones on the homepage. Or some industry / employer engagement where you can ask questions. When you’re in the course is far too late

As with a lot of courses, Springboard or otherwise, it really only helps you get a foot in the door, IT in particular. Once you're in then you can work your way up.

I finished a Springboard course in IT in 2014. All I got from it was a support desk job earning 24k. Since then I've done various other professional certs and worked my way up to a decent position with a decent salary. I'm looking to do another course now to help push me on further.

Third level qualifications are rarely enough to get you into high paying and high level positions, professional certs are much more sought after, in IT anyway. Once you're in you can train further and work your way up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

There should be more of a resource platform on actual real life stories of people who have completed the courses and what they are doing now, not the fake advertised ones on the homepage. Or some industry / employer engagement where you can ask questions. When you’re in the course is far too late

I'm not sure how easy this would be to do but if you've a small list of courses you may be able to search them on LinkedIn and see who has done them and then ask for their opinions. You may also be able to see their job titles and work out from the timelines whether the course in question may have helped. Not ideal and may be time consuming but if you've time on your hands may be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Hi, could anyone make some suggestions on good Springboard/HCI courses to do?
    - I want something that I'm likely (if not almost certain) to get a job/career from - NOT doing this for personal satisfaction or to pass the time, and I'm too old to faff around (47 this year);
    - Something where the jobs aren't all in Dublin;
    - I live in the Mid-West (could travel to Clare, Limk, maybe Tipp and Galway for work);
    - I have an honours arts degree and currently work in media but want to change - NO digital marketing or any of that sh1te please!;
    - Interested enough in science stuff e.g. environmental, bio sciences, med-tech etc; also quite like the notion of something like logistics or design (I mean design of actual physical things - buildings, products - not graphic design)
    All help and suggestions welcome!
    Also a few Qs: can anyone do any of these courses? e.g. you don't need a science degree to do a science diploma?
    And: does "full-time" mean you have to attend in person? (This would obviously limit choices of where to apply...)
    Thanks in advance.

I did a Springboard course with DCU, a PostGrad Diploma in Mgmt of Operations. They also did Pg Diplomas in Information System Strategy, Mgmt of Clean Technologies, Mgmt for Sustainable Development, Mgmt of Internet Enterprise Systems.
    All run completely online except for 1 day at the beginning which was on-site in DCU (a Saturday). There are online tutorials some evenings but they are recorded, so you can watch them in your own time - or ignore them completely if you're happy with the other material.

I found it a very worthwhile course, but it was intensive. 60 credits in a single year is essentially a full-time course, so if you are also working full-time it's a lot of time needed. That said, there were several people on the course who successfully juggled a full-time job, study, and family responsibilities.

nibtrix wrote: »
    I did a Springboard course with DCU, a PostGrad Diploma in Mgmt of Operations. They also did Pg Diplomas in Information System Strategy, Mgmt of Clean Technologies, Mgmt for Sustainable Development, Mgmt of Internet Enterprise Systems.
    All run completely online except for 1 day at the beginning which was on-site in DCU (a Saturday). There are online tutorials some evenings but they are recorded, so you can watch them in your own time - or ignore them completely if you're happy with the other material.

I found it a very worthwhile course, but it was intensive. 60 credits in a single year is essentially a full-time course, so if you are also working full-time it's a lot of time needed. That said, there were several people on the course who successfully juggled a full-time job, study, and family responsibilities.

I was intrigued by the management of operations course as well, but from reading it it was for people in senior/management positions? Possibly later on in their career... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I was intrigued by the management of operations course as well, but from reading it it was for people in senior/management positions? Possibly later on in their career... ?

I would say you need some management experience, but not senior mgt. A team leader position could be enough depending on your responsibilities. You do need to submit a synopsis of your experience as well as what you hope to get out of the course as part of the application, and they make the decision based on that as well as any pre-existing qualifications. There were people of all ages on the course, including some in their early-mid twenties.

The course covers project mgt, change mgt, ops mgt, service operations mgt, as well as environmental/sustainability as it relates to mgt etc. There's also a lot of research skills etc. taught as it's a preparation for the Masters element of the course (which you can add at the end, but you would have to pay for it yourself).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Darragh James

Thank you

Very few of the courses are solely online, part time courses will still have in person sessions, obviously with Covid 19, going online will be utilised that bit more but each college will be making their own call on that so it's impossible to know how each course will be managed

The entry requirements for each course are different, they are set out in the "more details" tab for each course on the website

Thank you

nibtrix wrote: »

Thanks a mill, this is very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I was just offered and accepted a place on the online BSc in Computing in Data Centre Management course at Letterkenny Institute of Technology.

Dante7 wrote: »
    I was just offered and accepted a place on the online BSc in Computing in Data Centre Management course at Letterkenny Institute of Technology.

This one caught my eye as well Dante, especially with all the data centres going up around the place, hopefully they last into the future!! I'm in construction so it could tie in well, have you any IT/Computing background? I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

This one caught my eye as well Dante, especially with all the data centres going up around the place, hopefully they last into the future!! I'm in construction so it could tie in well, have you any IT/Computing background? I don't.

I've worked in IT at a high enough level for 20 years, but never received a thrid level qualification - just industry certs. I'e been out of the workforce for the last few years as I'm a single parent and carer and I'm gearing up to return to work and this course could have been custom made for me.

• Advertisement

I've also applied for this, haven't heard anything back yet. 6 years in IT and plenty of hands on experience in datacentres, hoping to hear back soon so I know what's happening.

This is it wrote: »
    I've also applied for this, haven't heard anything back yet. 6 years in IT and plenty of hands on experience in datacentres, hoping to hear back soon so I know what's happening.

Scratch that, didn't see the email. I was also accepted :)

Do you both think you'd need some prior IT/Computing background yeah?

I'm handy enough on technology, QS in construction but never done IT in any shape or form which would put me off being on a course alongside the likes of yourselves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Do you both think you'd need some prior IT/Computing background yeah?

I'm handy enough on technology, QS in construction but never done IT in any shape or form which would put me off being on a course alongside the likes of yourselves!!

It depends on the level of the course. If it's going to be a Level 6/7/8 then I'd imagine no prior experience is required. For Level 9, whilst you wouldn't need a Level 6/7/8 behind you, you would definitely need a good chunk of work experience.

I think you'll need some basic understanding of computing and data centres for the specific course we were talking about. From the LYIT page

"The objective of the course is to guide learners who have general experience in and knowledge of technical computing and augment their skills and knowledge in readiness to begin a career in Data Centre Management."

I don't think you need to be in any way an expert, but as I said, basic understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

What sort of job would be inline with a qualification like this?

Is it the first year its being run?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Have you a link to this please.

Have you a link to this please.

https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8177

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

This is it wrote: »

Thanks.

I'd be interested in this, I have a level 8 in IT and currently working .

Any one have an idea of the modules being taught?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Thanks.

I'd be interested in this, I have a level 8 in IT and currently working .

Any one have an idea of the modules being taught?

An ability to Google is a distinct advantage when considering education. https://www.lyit.ie/CourseDetails/D202/LY_KDATA_B/DataCentreManagement

Advertisement