Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepaid Mastercard No Loading or Purchase Charges (Works with Ryanair)

• 10-01-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ddub

Just a little heads up that the Dublin City Gift Card which can be purchased from Ticketron in Stephens Green and Jervis Centres has no purchase or loading charges. They give the impression that it's only for use in Dublin city centre shops but it is a prepaid mastercard and have successfully used it on play.com, Ryanair and in a shop.

Presumably Dublin City are subsidising the fees to generate business for their members but it's a handy alternative to payzone fees and a great option for ryanair.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I posted this before along with the website and it was deleted by the mods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

that sounds pretty great, why did the mods delete it? they give any reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭patsybear

nice one!!, this really seems handy. Do you know if the money on the card expires after a certain period of time??, How does this work on ryanair as surely your name is not assigned to the card- is it??
    Cheers,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Some information about the card here:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1203/1224259993606.html
    A GIFT card for Dublin city centre was launched yesterday, making it the first capital city in Europe to have such a scheme.

The Dublin-branded cards can be used in any shop, cafe or restaurant in the city that accepts Mastercard credit cards The blue card with a Ha’penny Bridge image has no surcharge or any monthly fees.

“The advantage is that it doesn’t cost the consumer anything, if they pay €50 they get €50 back,” Tom Coffey, chief executive of the Dublin City Business Association said. It was a “fairly lengthy process” to get the card and the accreditation right, Mr Coffey said. “It’s a good thing and it brands the city centre,” he said.

The cards are operated by Zappa through Mastercard. Zappa makes money on the interest between when the card is bought and the money is spent, Mr Coffey said. The cards are valid for a year.

Christmas was always a critical time for businesses but footfall in the city was up by 23 per cent in recent weeks, he said. He believed customers had savings but were being more careful and demanding better service.

Dublin businesses had reacted to the downturn by reducing prices by 20 per cent and offering better value and service, Mr Coffey said.

Organisers said the cards are also useful to give to children so they are not carrying cash. They can be bought at Ticketmaster kiosks in St Stephen’s Green and Jervis shopping centres and at a booth in the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre.

They are available for amounts between €10 and €150 in increments of €5.

http://www.thisismydublin.com/home/give-the-gift-of-dublin-city-centre-this-christmas/

http://www.zapatechnology.com/news/45-zapa-powers-dublin-city-gift-card.html

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

If anyone manages to use this with Ryanair please let us know!

Tried another mastercard gift card there and it didn't work, but wouldn't work for any online shopping at all, if this has worked on play.com hopefully it'll work on Ryanair too!

• Advertisement

gleep wrote: »
    If anyone manages to use this with Ryanair please let us know!

Tried another mastercard gift card there and it didn't work, but wouldn't work for any online shopping at all, if this has worked on play.com hopefully it'll work on Ryanair too!
    Well the OP said that they got it working with ryanair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

any chance to have it shipped anywhere in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

adamski8 wrote: »
    Well the OP said that they got it working with ryanair

Ah, sorry about that, didn't read the post properly!

Thanks a mill OP, nice spot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Im thinking the Blanch version would also work?

http://www.blanchardstowncentre.ie/Gift_Card_.aspx
    Available in denominations from €10 up to €1,000.
    On sale at the Customer Service Desk on Level 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Sounds cool. Any way to load these online or does it have to be in-store? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ddub

Sounds cool. Any way to load these online or does it have to be in-store? Cheers

I'm not even sure if you can top them up as there's a €150 limit per card so i think the best bet would be to buy a new one each time rather than topping it up as there's no charge to do so.

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    any chance to have it shipped anywhere in ireland?
    Ill give you my guess which I would say no. I would think the whole city center shopping thing would imply you could only buy it in the city center as they want people to return to spending in the city. This acting as an incentive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ddub wrote: »
    I'm not even sure if you can top them up as there's a €150 limit per card so i think the best bet would be to buy a new one each time rather than topping it up as there's no charge to do so.

If the blanch one works, that has a limit of €1000 so thats a good help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭georgem25

Skycourt in Shannon also do these cards. Can be loaded up to €1500.

I wonder if they work?

https://cardmgt.bpscards.com/skycourtshannon/about_card/?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Dundrum Town Centre do these aslo

So whats the story OP when you buy them?
    You just give them your name and money and get the card there and then?
    Or you need other things like identification etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

When paying with it on ryanair, what do you put in as the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭guessaname

I've Blanchardstown shopping center gift card. It works well for online purchases as well but other shopping centers like Dundrum, Liffey etc won't accept it. I've purchased loads of things online with it but you cannot use it with Paypal. These prepaid master cards are provided to all these shopping centers by www.perfectcard.ie

The only drawback is there is a card maintenance fee of Euro 3 per month after 13th month after the month card was purchased and until the card balance is zero.

These cards a like cash, if you loose them that's it! there is no insurance or fruad protection or something until you call them and cancel it.

Cheers
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ddub

guessaname wrote: »
    I've Blanchardstown shopping center gift card. It works well for online purchases as well but other shopping centers like Dundrum, Liffey etc won't accept it. I've purchased loads of things online with it but you cannot use it with Paypal. These prepaid master cards are provided to all these shopping centers by www.perfectcard.ie

The only drawback is there is a card maintenance fee of Euro 3 per month after 13th month after the month card was purchased and until the card balance is zero.

These cards a like cash, if you loose them that's it! there is no insurance or fruad protection or something until you call them and cancel it.

Cheers
    G

Some of them are provided by Perfectcard however this one is by Banque Invik or something like that which also provides Payzone's , it therefore has the same 5338 starting digits as the payzone card which is why i think it works on ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I've purchased loads of things online with it but you cannot use it with Paypal.
    is this 100% certain that you cannot use with paypal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alligator Wine

I just ordered 2 flights with Ryanair there no problem with the Dublin City Gift Card. Saving me €20 on credit card fees, so thanks to the op.

The only draw back I found is that these cards cannot be topped up so make sure you add enough cash to the card in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭guessaname

kida wrote: »
    is this 100% certain that you cannot use with paypal?

Yes. I tried to pay for ebay item using paypal without luck. I got an error something like Billing address provided is not linked to the card or address provided is incorrect. Actually there is no billing address for these cards so I entered my own address which paypal didn't accept.

Yes. I tried to pay for ebay item using paypal without luck. I got an error something like Billing address provided is not linked to the card or address provided is incorrect. Actually there is no billing address for these cards so I entered my own address which paypal didn't accept.

wonder if you can register an adress anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I use my Perfect Card with PayPal.

Here's my Perfect Card statement:

pcpp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

wirecard as posted by basquille

I use my Perfect Card with PayPal.

Here's my Perfect Card statement:

pcpp.png

what address did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

kida wrote: »
    what address did you use?

My own address in the case of my current Perfect Card. Wouldn't work on my previous Perfect Card though, from last year. Had to use Digital Depot, Digital Hub, Thomas St, Dublin 8. Worked then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

metalfest wrote: »
    wirecard as posted by basquille

The Wirecard route is a little more complicated than just going into a shop and buying a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Seems from looking at all of these and looking around online that the dublin city one as all of the others have lots of charges for using them. Seems like it might be worth while to just make a trip to dublin, buy a few of those cards and come back, as they don't have any charges on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

suppafly wrote: »
    Seems from looking at all of these and looking around online that the dublin city one as all of the others have lots of charges for using them. Seems like it might be worth while to just make a trip to dublin, buy a few of those cards and come back, as they don't have any charges on them

Various shopping centres around the country offer them so you may not even need to come here to buy them!

Advertisement