Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the image no. have to exactly the same?

• 23-07-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Apologies about the weird title - I will explain what I need to know.

Im trying to tie two people together as being Married in 1903.

The surnames and christian names are ok and everything matches in the FamilyOrg Search as in the quarter of their marriage, the film no., the volume no., the digital folder no. but the image numbers differ - what Im trying to find out is whether the image number has a bearing on the records. If they are not exactly the same does this mean I need to start looking again?

Hope Im explaining myself correctly......

Thanks in advance:)

Kilsmum

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You need the following to match

Year and quarter
    Registration district
    volume
    page

The rest of the details have no bearing on the actual record and refer to LDS indexing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

for a possible marriage cross-match on the Civil index the details that need to match are - year/quarter, registration district, volume and page numbers.

The other details (film number etc) are LDS internal details.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kilsmum

Thanks Pinkypinky and Shanew - Everything matches bar the image no. that was the only thing that was different 255 v 237.

I reckon I can go ahead and order my cert based on what I have found - thanks again for your help.

Kilsmum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Hi folks,

Just want to let you know I was in the GRO last week, with matching references, but no marriage cert did I get :(

The people in question were:
    1. William Fay, marr Oct- Dec 1885, Dublin North, vol 2, pg 451
    2. Margaret Murray, marr Oct- Dec 1885, Dublin North, vol 2, page 451

The GRO guy said that there are four marriages on every page, and while William & Margaret were on the same page, they didn't marry eachother. I checked familysearch.org again, William's image no. is 00124, Margaret's is 00137.

Anyway, it looks like the image no. might matter after all :(

Rhapsody,

The reason I asked this was because I got help here trying to research my fathers side of the family everything else matched like film no., vol no., page no., and digital folder no. and in their case the image numbers were the same - maybe your right so:(:(:(

• Advertisement

the details mentioned earlier must match for you to have found a possible marriage. The LDS references refer to the Index books.. so they dont help

Due to there being 4 marriages to a register page, it is possible to get a false cross match - but it would depend on the clues you have used to do the search.

The LDS Image numbers seem to relate to the page in the Index book (not the register)... so would depend purely on where the surname was listed in the index alphabeticaly. Based on the marriage certs I have ordered for my own family and the many marriage matches I have found for other people I can assure you that image number is not relevant to a match.

re the scenario that rhapsody mentioned maybe there was another Margaret on the same page ? If one of the names you are searching for is uncommon then it is often worth ordering the cert based on a single name - i.e. William in this case...

Shane

Thanks Shane,

Im trying to trace the marriage of my great grandmother and great grandfather.

I have traced my great grandmother to both the 1901 and 1911 census but the records for her age don't seem to be accurate. In the 1901 census she is recorded as being 22 and the 1911 census as 28! I don't have enough details about my great grandfather (age where he lived etc.) so Im basing most of my research on what I actually know.

When I found my great grandmothers details in the 1901 census I went back using her parents names and the only birth date I found for her was November 1877 which would have made her 24 in the 1901 census - worse again:(

Basically she was single in 1901 and a widow in 1911 and Im trying to fill in the gaps.

I know for sure my grandmother was born in June 1904. In the 1901 census there is a record of my grandmothers sister who I was always under the impression was younger than my grandmother as being 7 and my grandmother 6 which means her sister was born in 1903.

I would then be looking for marriages after April 1901 and Im thinking along the lines of 1902.

Found one marriage in the April to June quarter of 1902 everything matches except the image numbers. If the person recording the census made a mistake in the 1911 census regarding my grandmothers sister I have one more possible marriage in the July September 1903 quarter - everything matches again except for the image no.!

I did call the HSE office in Cork to see could I have a look at the register book but there is a years waiting list - any idea where I can go after this?

Thanks for all your input and help it has been great

Kilsmum:):):)

the only details that need to match are for a possible marriage are the details mentioned earlier. If these are the same then the two names appear on the same register page - which is obviously required for them to marry each other. So I would suggest ordering the potential marriages matches you found.

If you are not sure about the maiden name of the bride, e.g. if you worked this out through a possible index match, then I would order the cert using just the Grooms name.

The only details the GRO need are the same references mentioned earlier.

p.s. dont worry about ages on the census being slightly out - some families (including some of my ancestors) seem to be useless at remembering how old they are..

Shane

Thanks Shane - Im going to go with the two possible matches I have.

Im certain of my great grandmothers maiden name and thats what Im basing my search on.

Thanks very much again for your advice.

Kilsmum :)

Advertisement