Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin-Cork to take just two hours on 200kmh train

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭craigybagel

probe wrote:
    I notice that you just signed up for boards.ie yesterday. I’m toying with where to categorise you in my system!probe

Rest assured Probe im simply an ordinary traveller with an interest in trains who doesnt want to see IE pissing away money to limited good when so much of the rest of the network is crying out for investment :rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Wires cost quite little to put up its all the engineering work around them that costs

Every bridge will require modification at some level, either replacement or increasing the height of the parapet wall. Tunnel in Cork would be expensive but not impossible

The signaling system will require massive work to handle the return currents, most don't realise that the rails are the return conductor, on the DART its up to 2000 amps per rail

You then you need to put in place substations and connections to the national gird again not easy in certain places

You would be looking at €500+ million

That would fund the going for growth element proposed in the Strategic Rail Review for every single line in the county bar Rosslare with change left over, there is a huge amount of benefit for the regions while Dublin Cork still could get its 200 kph service. There is a desperate need to sort out the secondary intercity routes a fact which is over looked by IE the journey times are not competitive, which result in a downward spiral

The UK crew issued the initial notice for the HST2 project in February there is a option on the table, the notice includes a clear reference to fuel costs and efficient operation in a wide range of service types.

The current line is not unsafe if it was the safety people would shut it down, I travelled on part of it last night nothing of note ride was good even in tight corners, no lateral oscillations in corners an odd vertical bump nothing to cause alarm. I can type quite comfortably at 90 mph, the beer doesn't move around either folks in first manage full meals with wine. There are bumps, there are much worse to be found on the DART line, I am an engineer and I know the difference between a bump and a safety issue. And yes I have been in touch with the rail safety people in the past.

The track is actually massively over engineered by design to ensure if something does go wrong that it remains safe. IE dropped the speed limit on sections as it was unable to take the strain of 100 mph running, I remember the good days of 100 mph running and lightening fast times on Sunday evenings. In fact if anything IE are too conservative now which is a bit of a pain

The relay specification dates from the 1970's for reasonably light trains at reasonable speeds, it had a design life of 25 years which again is normal. IE can relay 75 miles a track per year the DoF did the numbers and IE costs are quite good, of course track relay is limited by access to the track and the balance between services and disruption which clearly must be minimised so the majority of passengers don't suffer

I'm sure the moderators will be more than happy to confirm that there is nothing funny going on. Many many people sit on the fence and don't post and just read for which you don't need an account. Insulting posters won't get you anywhere. You are advised to read this http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89781 , show the rest of us a little respect

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭craigybagel

MarkoP11 wrote:
    I'm sure the moderators will be more than happy to confirm that there is nothing funny going on. Many many people sit on the fence and don't post and just read for which you don't need an account. Insulting posters won't get you anywhere. You are advised to read this http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89781 , show the rest of us a little respect

Thanks Marko.And for the record i had no idea this forum existed until the day i signed up for it. Had i found it earlier i would have signed up earlier. And my posts on the Student Rail Fares thread show that i dont always agree with IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Ah the great things that could have been had Fianna Fail stayed in office ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jlayay wrote: »
    Ah the great things that could have been had Fianna Fail stayed in office ...

zombie-clipart-creepy-shadow-831466-3141723.jpg

12 year old thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Why are people digging up old threads all the time lately? Especially for topics that have sweet FA to do with anything going on today?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement