Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GEM with children

• 22-06-2018 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,

I would be 37 starting GEM, I have my fees saved and my house in Dublin is paid off so thankfully loans are not a concern. My partner earns enough to support us through college and first couple of years as a junior.

I have a 3 and 4 year old and want to make sure I can still have a family life while studying and practising as an NCHD - what kind of hours are required as an intern and sho to progress without being super ambitious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Pierre_Robin

Hi there,

Well done on achieving such a financial achievement at 37!

Plenty of NCHDs have young children, myself included. Plenty of consultants have young kids too.

College will be grand with kids insofar as it would be no different than a job. They'd have to go to a childminder or family member, but the hours aren't horrific and as long as you can get a couple of hours of study in a day towards the exams you'll be grand.

As an intern it varies wildly. In my intern year (pre-strike and so still doing up to 36 hours), my weeks ranged from ~50 up to high 90s. I have never broken 100 hours in a 7 day period, which disappoints me in some ways. Intern hours have reduced down a bit now though so that should be better.

As an SHO it depends on your specialty. Surgery can be absolutely cat. Medicine in some places is similar. You could be back to the high 90s again. The EWTD isn't really a thing, despite what they say.

Short answer, you can make it work but you won't see your kids as much as you are now. You'll be working one weekend a month minimum in most jobs, if not two+. If that's acceptable to you, go for it. If not, I would have a long think about what you want to do.

Advertisement