Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mymemory.com

• 01-10-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

I don't see a thread on this so if anyone is interested in Blue Ray. Christmas is on the way

Blu-ray DVD Store Now Open - Quote "myblu" to receive 10% Off All Titles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭madmoe

Is Blu-Ray goona be as big as DVD? I don't know anyone with a BD player. Most seem to be downloading HD streams via broadband or buying upscaling DVD players.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I'm not sure but there must be a market for them besides anyone who has a PS3 can play them as well as the BR players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

madmoe wrote: »
    Is Blu-Ray goona be as big as DVD? I don't know anyone with a BD player. Most seem to be downloading HD streams via broadband or buying upscaling DVD players.

M

Blu-ray won't be bigger than DVD for a few years at least; if it ever will. In my opinion, by the time Blu-ray has any sort of substantial lead over DVD, downloadable content will be the norm and we'll be having this discussion all over again, except insert VOD (Video On Demand) in place of Blu-ray.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nah blueray won't get as big as DVD, there too expensive and now they have to compete with the likes of divx, xvid and all the different downloadable media formats that most people are happy to watch without the added extra expense

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Who Know's!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There would have to be massive improvements made to Irish broadband networks for 1080p video downloads to become the norm.

I'm pretty sure DVD's was just as expensive when it first came on the scene - the players were anyway.

Main problem with BD at the moment for me, is lack of titles.

BTW, OP, thanks for link. Didn't know Mymemory sold BD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

For cinephiles, it's by far the best option for watching movies. Audio and video quality are streets ahead of digital 'HD' broadcasts or downloads, and will be for some time.

That said, there are a lot of people who are more than happy with DVD and won't see any incentive to move on. So, it probably won't have the impact that DVD have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭dubmick

can someone tell me what upscaling dvd players actually are?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

A video scaler is a device for converting video signals from one size or resolution to another.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and a gimmick as the relevant TV will do it anyhow

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    and a gimmick as the relevant TV will do it anyhow

Not so much. A lot of TVs, LCD and plasma, offer sub-standard upscaling; there's a reason why so many people are still buying DVD players and not jumping on the Blu-ray bandwagon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭ding_dong

I personally am not particulary keen on bluray (have combo drive). I also loathe the price they retail at. So in that respect bring on the digital on demand.

Only prob as someone said is that irish broadband can barely do normal video :|

Im in the center of Dublin and due to the lines I get 35kbps :| No 1080p for me.

Knowing our luck the rest of the world will have upgraded and we will be left behind :rolleyes:

ding_dong wrote: »
    I personally am not particulary keen on bluray (have combo drive). I also loathe the price they retail at. So in that respect bring on the digital on demand.

Only prob as someone said is that irish broadband can barely do normal video :|

Im in the center of Dublin and due to the lines I get 35kbps :| No 1080p for me.

Knowing our luck the rest of the world will have upgraded and we will be left behind :rolleyes:

Like most things, 1080p VOD will be available in the larger markets in the next few years e.g. USA, Japan, UK and mainland Europe etc where they can handle the speeds, and then it will, eventually, filter down to Ireland and we'll be paddy last; as always.

I for one still like having a physical medium with which to watch my movies, so whether we start buying movies on flash memory or whatever, I will still prefer to have something tangible.

Advertisement