Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firestick general discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Hi all,

Got the 4k firestick and the amazon ethernet adaptor. I didn't realise the adaptor is capped at 100mb so my wifi is actually faster than a wired connection. Does anyone know of a ethernet adaptor compatible with the 4k firestick that allows me to attain higher speeds?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

K.C wrote: »
    Hi all,

Got the 4k firestick and the amazon ethernet adaptor. I didn't realise the adaptor is capped at 100mb so my wifi is actually faster than a wired connection. Does anyone know of a ethernet adaptor compatible with the 4k firestick that allows me to attain higher speeds?

Thanks.

Isn't it more likely you bought the ethernet adaptor for the stability of the connection compared to wifi rather than the actual max speed it can do?

IF you really need 1000mb then the Ugreen is a good choice
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/UGREEN-3-Ports-USB-3-0-Gigabit-Ethernet-Lan-RJ45-Network-Adapter-Hub-to-1000Mbps/152201585121?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Trevord wrote: »
    Isn't it more likely you bought the ethernet adaptor for the stability of the connection compared to wifi rather than the actual max speed it can do?

IF you really need 1000mb then the Ugreen is a good choice
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/UGREEN-3-Ports-USB-3-0-Gigabit-Ethernet-Lan-RJ45-Network-Adapter-Hub-to-1000Mbps/152201585121?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that product online. There seems to be some confusion as to whether a OTG cable is needed to convert from usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 and if indeed it will actually work as the firestick is usb 2.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Even 100Mbps is more than enough for 4k firestick. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    Even 100Mbps is more than enough for 4k firestick. :)

I'm running 2 simultaneously and having problems with buffering.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Are you running both on the same ethernet adaptor? :eek:

Are you running both on the same ethernet adaptor? :eek:

Nope. 1 on adaptor, 1 on wifi.

Unregistered Users

Apparently your network is your problem, not the adapter. :cool:

Apparently your network is your problem, not the adapter. :cool:

Network is fine. Thanks for your input anyway.

Unregistered Users

4k streaming requires 20, maybe 25 Mbps at most.

You're welcome. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I'm having constant problems watching anything on Peacock either on the side loaded app or my laptop, sometimes it's fine but most of the time it's either freezing, buffering and outright nothing playing. Going by reddit I'm not the only one, luckily I still have about 6 weeks left on my trial to see if they sort things out
    Peacock now working brilliant for me this weekend on the Firestick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Peacock now working brilliant for me this weekend on the Firestick

Could someone help me get peacock on the firestick? I have VPNsecure lifetime licence but don't have it on the stick yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Network is fine. Thanks for your input anyway.

I'm with joujoujou on this one, 100Mb is more than sufficient for video streaming, assuming it's stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that product online. There seems to be some confusion as to whether a OTG cable is needed to convert from usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 and if indeed it will actually work as the firestick is usb 2.0?

The 4k only supports usb2 so using an otg and usb3 hub with giga adapter could get you up to 300-400Mpbs. Tbh this is purely academic - can you help explain why you feel that reliable and low-latency 100Mpbs ethernet is constraining you? This is a classic case of trying to perf optimize in the wrong place. Suggest you look at debloating - turning off unneeded services to free up mem and cpu if these kind of things appeal to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Could someone post a dummys guide to setting up peacock subscription? I've bought the keepsolid lifetime vpn and logged into peacock on my android phone. I'm trying to activate the free trial using PayPal baut keep getting an error message. I've used a random new York address

bobbyg wrote: »
    Could someone post a dummys guide to setting up peacock subscription? I've bought the keepsolid lifetime vpn and logged into peacock on my android phone. I'm trying to activate the free trial using PayPal baut keep getting an error message. I've used a random new York address
    If you have a Revolut card try setting this up temporarily as your preferred card on Paypal and then make USD as your primary currency on Paypal, this worked for me signing up

If you have a Revolut card try setting this up temporarily as your preferred card on Paypal and then make USD as your primary currency on Paypal, this worked for me signing up

Cheers that didn't work although I couldn't see how to make usd my primary currency on PayPal. I noticed after the payment has failed my address on peacock has reverted back to my home address. Also noticed peacock tried to take £1 gbp from revolut

Think I tried everything today but couldn't get it to work, it is no longer brining me to the PayPal page just get the error message when I try now. I think they must be blocking PayPal based on the location of the account.

bobbyg wrote: »
    I think they must be blocking PayPal based on the location of the account.
    Could be. I just logged into my Peacock settings I can no longer see my fake US address, in the Payment Method section it displays Paypal with my Dublin address, however everything still working for me on my trial

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Custom Launchers and home button works again.

See TechDoctorUK youtube tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG6bkiRjJeI

Make sure you uninstall your previous FireTVSettings app.

Working for me now using Wolf Launcher - its a bit more cumbersome now to go back to stock home screen to access settings - but seems to be working fine so far.

So much easier than old way where I had to ADB from pc, might try it on other firesticks now :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Hey guys, considering getting a 4k Firestick but am wondering if there is a newer version coming soon? Should I wait for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Hey guys, considering getting a 4k Firestick but am wondering if there is a newer version coming soon? Should I wait for it?

IMHO I'd wait to see what the Google TV device is like.It will be officially announced on the 30th. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

carbsy wrote: »
    IMHO I'd wait to see what the Google TV device is like.It will be officially announced on the 30th. :)

Sound advice thanks :)

Unregistered Users

RTE player v. 1.0 refused to cooperate recently. Whatever I choose to watch, after a while of circle turning and turning all I get is "stream not found" message.

No VPN involved.

Data and cache cleared multiple times.

Anyone else have similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

RTE player v. 1.0 refused to cooperate recently. Whatever I choose to watch, after a while of circle turning and turning all I get is "stream not found" message.

No VPN involved.

Yes I was the same trying to watch its a park life, even tried season one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

No VPN involved.

Same for me!

Looks like rte have changed something again. I don't know why they don't just release it officially for fire TV anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

No VPN involved.

OK. Are you stilling having issues?

I'm running version 1.0.1 on the 4K stick and that seems to be working as normal. It's the ad free version from Filelinked.

If you are still stuck, I'd look at deleting and reinstalling the app, given that you've already tried clearing cache.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

Anybody else having a problem watching Disney+ on firestick, keep getting code 83 on screen

• Advertisement

I note that NordVPN have a message on their site saying that they are "currently experiencing issues with BBC streaming on the Firestick".

I've noticed this in the last week or so. Buffering sometimes even when you switch servers.

Advertisement