Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EIR prepay plan, €30 simplicity now €20, in-store/online sale.

• 23-03-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Hopefully this might be helpful to others, especially Three customers such as myself who are having their plans changed!

Meteor are currently running an in-store only promotion on their PAYG plans. Their simplicity unlimited pay as you go bundle is €20 for life if you port your number in-store before March 31st. The plan includes unlimited calls, texts and 15gb of data (Facebook, Pokemon go, YouTube and several others are free to use and do not count towards this allowance). Normally this is €30 per month.

It isn't mentioned online and I only noticed it by good fortune on the LCD screen when I was passing the store in Wilton yesterday. I had been planning to port to them anyway as the Three/Tesco/lycamobile data signal is awful in the area during the day so this was a welcome, if well hidden, sweetener.

MOD EDIT: NOW ON EIR WEBSITE https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

What does it mean to port your number in store?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CWF wrote: »
    What does it mean to port your number in store?

You go into a physical store.
    Take out your phone with a number from a different network.
    Tell them you want to switch to meteor.
    They initiate the porting process which brings your existing number from another network over to the meteor network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Hopefully this might be helpful to others, especially Three customers such as myself who are having their plans changed!

Meteor are currently running an in-store only promotion on their PAYG plans. Their simplicity unlimited pay as you go bundle is €20 for life if you port your number in-store before March 31st. The plan includes unlimited calls, texts and 15gb of data (Facebook, Pokemon go, YouTube and several others do not count towards this allowance). Normally this is €30 per month.

It isn't mentioned online and I only noticed it by good fortune on the LCD screen when I was passing the store in Wilton yesterday. I had been planning to port to them anyway as the Three/Tesco/lycamobile data signal is awful in the area during the day so this was a welcome, if well hidden, sweetener.

Would you be sure Meteor use a different network to the likes of Three. Is it better. I know Vodafone have better coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

cronos wrote: »
    Would you be sure Meteor use a different network to the likes of Three. Is it better. I know Vodafone have better coverage.

Meteor have their own infrastructure, completely separate from Three's masts.

ETA coverage depends on your own specific location of course. Their coverage maps are on their website. With Three I went from passable 4G to crippled 3G during peak hours after they bought O2. I had both Sims in my phone leaving wilton, waiting for the port, one had fast 4G and the other told me I was offline because their 3G was so slow!

I wonder if this is better then the vodafone "student" deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Well you get unlimited calls with this but 5gb data less and no Spotify. Depends really on your usage.I'll be sticking with Vodafone but I know others who this plan will suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Nice one, seems a good deal

It depends on your usage I guess, meteor give free access to YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, WhatsApp & Viber messaging (Pokemon go also on another page) without out using any of your data allowance so if you spend a lot of time on those then meteor may suit you better as you keep the 15gb for tethering or general browsing.

The student offer is a good deal though, unfortunately I left college some time ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Any idea on data roaming in eu with this?

It depends on your usage I guess, meteor give free access to YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, WhatsApp & Viber messaging (Pokemon go also on another page) without out using any of your data allowance so if you spend a lot of time on those then meteor may suit you better as you keep the 15gb for tethering or general browsing.

The student offer is a good deal though, unfortunately I left college some time ago :)

I'd really think only Youtube is actually using any serious amount of data amount those.

• Advertisement

Not to derail this thread but you don't need to be a student. Have a read of post 1 in the student deal thread.

I'd really think only Youtube is actually using any serious amount of data amount those.

I find autoplaying videos and gifs on FB to be a huge data hog tbh.
    kindalen wrote: »
    Any idea on data roaming in eu with this?

None included unfortunately. I am biding my time for June 15th for the EU roaming laws to come into effect. I put a top up on an old 3pay sim to avail of 3 like home in London next week before it is scrapped.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Not to derail this thread but you don't need to be a student. Have a read of post 1 in the student deal thread.

Thanks, I assumed they would look for college ID. That is great to know if I find myself unhappy with meteor.

Does anyone know if this offer is available in all stores nationwide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

How does meteors rural coverage compare to VF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭lau1247

just to be sure, you don't keep the 20Eur top up after the 30 days, right?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jpos

I assume this is won't apply for existing Meteor customers?

lau1247 wrote: »

It's a sim only plan so essentially billpay. You don't get credit.

jpos wrote: »
    I assume this is won't apply for existing Meteor customers?

No harm asking, the guy in the shop activated with a short code message. You could always port to 3pay, spend the €20 credit on Google play and then port back I guess?
    lau1247 wrote: »

No, unfortunately, it takes it to pay for the bundle
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    It's a sim only plan so essentially billpay. You don't get credit.

No 30 day notice though, it's normal prepay with a bundle, so separate from the sim only. I purposely avoided sim only so I can leaver quicker if it doesn't suit.

No 30 day notice though, it's normal prepay with a bundle, so separate from the sim only. I purposely avoided sim only so I can leaver quicker if it doesn't suit.

Ah I didn't know that. Even better so. Thanks op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I wonder will this offer be valid when roaming in the EU or will meteor say the unlimited calls/texts are a 'service benefit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

I wonder will this offer be valid when roaming in the EU or will meteor say the unlimited calls/texts are a 'service benefit'.

No it doesnt include roaming , any time i go abroad i need to add data, weird thing is i cant text and add data like normal i have to ring and ask them to add it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Is tethering possible with Meteor?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

funnyname wrote: »
    Is tethering possible with Meteor?

Yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Lads which is the best offer out there at moment with pay as you go,? i heard meteor data is muck and im on three at moment its gone really bad keps saying every so often No Net work Happy to hear your views or recommendations

i was on the unlimited call be free with three but the 1 gb they give you is just not enough if i even got 1.5 gb would be fine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

torrevieja wrote: »
    Lads which is the best offer out there at moment with pay as you go,? i heard meteor data is muck and im on three at moment its gone really bad keps saying every so often No Net work Happy to hear your views or recommendations

i was on the unlimited call be free with three but the 1 gb they give you is just not enough if i even got 1.5 gb would be fine ?

cant fault mine at all on Meteor, data is great since ive moved to 4G , downside of 4G is im using more data i used to use 2Gb a month now im nearly hitting my cap of 15Gb. Where are you based, best to get an opinion of data coverage from someone in your area, i travel most of the east coast and data is great for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭torrevieja

projectgtr wrote: »
    cant fault mine at all on Meteor, data is great since ive moved to 4G , downside of 4G is im using more data i used to use 2Gb a month now im nearly hitting my cap of 15Gb. Where are you based, best to get an opinion of data coverage from someone in your area, i travel most of the east coast and data is great for me.

hi project

im in the southside stillorgan area

well in fairness my phone is 3g , is that meteor your on a contract or pay as you go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Meteor are currently running an in-store only promotion on their PAYG plans. Their simplicity unlimited pay as you go bundle is €20 for life if you port your number in-store before March 31st. The plan includes unlimited calls, texts and 15gb of data (Facebook, Pokemon go, YouTube and several others are free to use and do not count towards this allowance). Normally this is €30 per month.

It isn't mentioned online and I only noticed it by good fortune on the LCD screen when I was passing the store in Wilton yesterday. I had been planning to port to them anyway as the Three/Tesco/lycamobile data signal is awful in the area
    during the day so this was a welcome, if well hidden, sweetener.

Cheers thanks for that i,m about to change over providers,one thing about you tube is ...... quote from their website is How long does the offer last?
    The offer will be automatically applied to eligible customers from 11th November. Unlimited access to YouTube will end 30th of June 2017e from their website about you tube .......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Guffy

Id say meteor are getting hammered by vodafone's student deal

• Advertisement

None included unfortunately. I am biding my time for June 15th for the EU roaming laws to come into effect. I put a top up on an old 3pay sim to avail of 3 like home in London next week before it is scrapped.

Are you sure it's no data roaming is included. I enquired about this today in store and was told free eu roaming was included.

Advertisement