Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you still using turf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'm wondering why you're continuing with this clearly ridiculous line of reasoning. Dublin's canal cordon revealed tat 70% of people enter the centre by sustainable mode, public transport, walking and cycling. If those people lived in rural areas they'd all drive long distances to work, i.e. an unsustainable mode. Why is this hard for you to understand? More and more people are living in cities now, therfore reducing their emissions from transport.

Yeah that's all well and good for Dublin but in the other cities people still have to use their cars to get from A to B because the public transport is totally inadequate.

So it's not just those terrible rural people using cars.

When there is a luas in every city then you might have a valid point to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

El Tarangu wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/forestry-enviro/environment/agriculture-and-septic-tanks-source-of-dangerous-e-coli-found-in-40pc-of-water-sites-37581386.html
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but the current sanitation set-up in rural areas' involves people literally befouling one another's drinking water, so I'm not sure how 'eco friendly' that is.

Yeah we've heard loads already about how the rednecks are responsible for destroying the planet. So not referring to rural issues for a change. Plenty of well maintained septic tanks exist imo.

As for the **** discharged into Dublin Bay and the like in other urban areas - from previous.
    'It has been estimated that raw sewage from the equivalent of 86,000 people is pumped (from municipal sewage disposal infastructure) into Irish waterways every day. Raw sewage which is discharged daily to surface water in 44 places around Ireland. In Cork harbour alone 5,000 tonnes of untreated sewage is pumped into the sea every day, although reportedly this volume was halved last year

But you're right - its not a competition. Just a pity that we still have claims that cities are somehow 'eco friendly' (sic),

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yeah that's all well and good for Dublin but in the other cities people still have to use their cars to get from A to B because the public transport is totally inadequate.

So it's not just those terrible rural people using cars.

When there is a luas in every city then you might have a valid point to make.

You're right. Badly designed cities and urban sprawl cause this but they are still easier to sevice and supply clean energy to. One thing I think the Brits do well is zoning land like the lake districts etc.. unlike here where there is roads, houses and fields in every direction.

https://news.colgate.edu/scene/2014/11/urban-legends.html
    If you wanted to reduce your consumption of natural resources, where would you move in the United States today: a city, a suburb, or a rural area?

Shannon Sweeney ’07 asked this question in a mail survey as part of her senior honors thesis at Colgate. The largest percentage of respondents said “a rural area,” and the smallest, “a city” — which is actually the correct answer.

The smaller living and yard spaces, less dependence on automobiles, and more efficient use of infrastructure (roads, utility connections) among urban dwellers mean a lower per capita consumption of key resources from land and water to energy and materials. The misconception involves thinking about where the greatest total resource consumption occurs, rather than measuring levels of demand by population.

Cities have much larger “ecological footprints” than rural areas. True or false?

In absolute terms, true, but an absolute measure is seriously misleading. The population of an American city, logically enough, consumes a greater aggregate of resources than that of a less-populous rural unit. But again, per capita consumption is what really matters. The per capita footprint of a city dweller, all else equal, is smaller. To put it another way: a given number of people living at their country’s characteristic standard of living would consume a smaller quantity of resources if they lived in an urban (high-density) pattern than if they lived in a rural or suburban (dispersed, low-density) one.

People need to understand "per capita".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭ Caroline Obedient Rivalry

gozunda wrote: »
    Probably flown in from Venezuela ....

Not at you btw - but I do have to laugh at anyone who proposes that cities are somehow 'eco friendly.

Not only do high density urban areas involve the total annihilation of all natural ecosystem and habitats - they concentration of pollutants means that emissions and discharges to the wider environment are a significant and persistent source of toxic pollution.

High density living is not only bad for humans- it certainly does nothing for ecosystems and wildlife which depend on them . That said most development in Dublin and other urban areas in the last couple of decades have been on Greenfield sites with vast areas of detached houses which are spreading at an alarming rate into what was once countryside and all significantly dependent on private transport. See fek all criticism of this tbh .

That's incorrect. Total pollution is greater, yes. Pollution per person is much lower. If all the people in cities lived the lifestyle of the average country person, the world would be one big septic tank.

I say this as a hypocritical country person, reared on a one off house with a septic tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

THE TURF IS DREW.
    That is all.
    Until next year bog.its been emotional.

That's incorrect. Total pollution is greater, yes. Pollution per person is much lower. If all the people in cities lived the lifestyle of the average country person, the world would be one big septic tank.

I say this as a hypocritical country person, reared on a one off house with a septic tank

Are ye sure about that? Humans produce the same amount of faecal ****e whether stuck up a mountain in Kerry or living in a high rise in Phuket.

I've news for ye - the world is one big 'septic tank'. That said all new builds requiring ' new style treatment systems' (not connected to municipal sewage systems*) must have secondary filters and now incorporate technology to improve the breakdown of waste matter and the quality of effluent. Existing older style septic tanks are inspected for compliance - ours was done a couple of years ago. So yeah we have a lot of crap been flung around here with regard to how urban areas ****e doesn't stink for some strange reason ;) Whatever these areas are - they are not "eco friendly" ...

*the ones discharging untreated sewage directly into water bodies like Cork Harbour etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ush1 wrote: »
    What do you mean greater volume of consumption?

This is per capita,

a meaningless term in this situation, attempting to deflect responsibility and therefore an irrelevant distraction.

Everyone is involved in this impending disaster.

"The saying “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics” was popularised by Mark Twain, who attributed it to the British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli."

Away with this obfuscation!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

THE TURF IS DREW.
    That is all.
    Until next year bog.its been emotional.

Ah yes... Maybe still cutting out here and I will perforce wait to buy mine until I need it.. looking forward to lighting the stove then...

Graces7 wrote: »
    What do you mean greater volume of consumption?

This is per capita,

a meaningless term in this situation, attempting to deflect responsibility and therefore an irrelevant distraction.

Everyone is involved in this impending disaster.

"The saying “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics” was popularised by Mark Twain, who attributed it to the British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli."

Away with this obfuscation!

Finding it hard to follow what you're talking about to be honest. Per capita means "everyone is involved".

What am I deflecting responsibility from exactly?

• Advertisement

Light a fire when you're footing it. Keeps the midges away, and quite possibly a few of those dastardly midgets too.

Yer man from Game of Thrones was a right little fecker before he took up the acting.

Always took you for a culchie, Emmet.

I can't say this hasn't strained my admiration for you.

Didn't it ever occur to blame the smog on the cars, and not our God given turf?

Honestly, Emmet. I expected better. Tell us a toilet tale and all shall be forgiven.

The smog was from coal, not turf. Turf in small rural communities is way different than a city burning it. I find it bizarre that Bord na Mona are still cutting up bogs on an industrial scale whereas the rural person is the one initially targeted.

We shouldn't be cutting up the bogs full stop. And I footed manys the plot, both with my family and as a summer job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Do people actually think we'd have a cleaner country if everyone lived in one off houses and there were no cities? How on earth could that be greener than cities with shared services taking up less space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Graysen Chubby Spice

Do people actually think we'd have a cleaner country if everyone lived in one off houses and there were no cities? How on earth could that be greener than cities with shared services taking up less space?
    I live in a deeply rural area and I have to agree with you. If everybody lived as we live: One off house, septic tank, no services except those you drive to, burning smokey coal, digging up bogs for our fuel, etc: the country would be an environmental mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭blackbox

In these here parts, it's turf mull. Maybe you just have one of them funny accents, and that's what you mean. :pac:

My parents always called it turf mould, though I never saw it written down to see the spelling.
    Even when it came in bags labelled Peat Moss and then Moss Peat they still called it turf mould.

blackbox wrote: »
    My parents always called it turf mould, though I never saw it written down to see the spelling.
    Even when it came in bags labelled Peat Moss and then Moss Peat they still called it turf mould.
    It's definitely called turf mould, but I've never heard it pronounced as mould. How did your folks pronounce it?

It's turf mowld /mowl here. Others have (not unreasonably) offered 'turf mole/moll' and one weirdo calls it spruss or something.

I live in a deeply rural area and I have to agree with you. If everybody lived as we live: One off house, septic tank, no services except those you drive to, burning smokey coal, digging up bogs for our fuel, etc: the country would be an environmental mess.

It kind of already is because of the ridiculous amounts of one offs and the reasons you just listed. What does rural even mean any more? You’re in a one off and you have to drive further to get things city people have st their doorstep about sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I was born and raised with an open fire in the house but no longer have the luxury as I'm in an apartment in Dublin.

When I eventually move back to the shticks (fingers crossed), I'll have it roaring again, especially in the winter and Christmas time. Christmas isn't the same without the open fire.

Always found the turf to be a good slow burner but the real coal is great for blasting the room with heat first off.

I too live in a deeply rural area. No turf. No smokey coal. Grow willow for biomass. Well maintained and regulated waste treatment system. Buy 90% of goods locally. Older house part of the landscape and there is enough of nature for wildlife for it not to be excluded or tarmacadamed or concreted out of existence. Lots of private waste treatment systems installed and thankfully are now are being maintained properly.

I find Irish cities are a mess. Low density (detached) ribbon development on Greenfield sites - nearly all heavily dependent on private transport. Giant mall type shopping centres - with car parks the size of some towns. Poor standards of municipal sewage treatment and disposal. Waste ground used for dumping and fly tipping on an epic scale. Little if any natural planting for wildlife or nature. Culmativly the cities produce vast amounts of waste and pollution that the adjacent environment has to try and cope with. I could go on.

But yeah eitherway it's not a competition. It does seem however that some are suggesting everyone in the countryside should up sticks and move into urban ghettos and demolish all houses in the countryside or something - when the cities cant even cope with people trying to live there already. The problem is everyone wants their lifestyle and too often the environment pays the penalty.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I was born and raised with an open fire in the house but no longer have the luxury as I'm in an apartment in Dublin.

When I eventually move back to the shticks (fingers crossed), I'll have it roaring again, especially in the winter and Christmas time. Christmas isn't the same without the open fire.

Always found the turf to be a good slow burner but the real coal is great for blasting the room with heat first off.

Im in a similar situation, but thankfully have a fireplace in the house here in Dublin and (luxury) one in the front bedroom. I usually burn smokeless briquettes but have smuggled up the occasional bag of turf -- can't tell you the joy of lying in bed reading a book with a turf fire on the go.

Someone I know down home converted a bedroom into a bathroom when renovating the house, and kept the fireplace. Imagine having a bath in front of a turf fire? That's the dream.

• Advertisement

Im in a similar situation, but thankfully have a fireplace in the house here in Dublin and (luxury) one in the front bedroom. I usually burn smokeless briquettes but have smuggled up the occasional bag of turf -- can't tell you the joy of lying in bed reading a book with a turf fire on the go.

Someone I know down home converted a bedroom into a bathroom when renovating the house, and kept the fireplace. Imagine having a bath in front of a turf fire? That's the dream.

Keep your planet destroying culchie ways out of Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

And having your butler run a bath for you and perhaps serve a glass of port, Wonderful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Dublin doesnt need culchie help ****ing up the planet. Its doing a grand job by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Not sure who's worse, the one burning turf where it's prohibited or the person that calls them culchies.

Edgware wrote: »
    Dublin doesnt need culchie help ****ing up the planet. Its doing a grand job by itself.
    Indeed. The last time I had a day off and was about to go for a swim, there had been a shower of rain and so the Very Competent waste-treatment agency had caused raw sewage to spill into Dublin bay.

The same Very Competent city council insisted that the yellowish-brown scum in Sandycove had nothing to do with faecal matter, it was all just a great coincidence. Yet raw sewage is routinely being pumped into the Irish sea.

People on this side of the country need to get their own house in order before preaching about boglands which they have approximately zero interest in anyway.

• It kind of already is because of the ridiculous amounts of one offs and the reasons you just listed. What does rural even mean any more? You’re in a one off and you have to drive further to get things city people have st their doorstep about sums it up.

Many of us are happy to have a bit of a drive to places to have the many advantages of living in the county side.

Indeed. The last time I had a day off and was about to go for a swim, there had been a shower of rain and so the Very Competent waste-treatment agency had caused raw sewage to spill into Dublin bay.

The same Very Competent city council insisted that the yellowish-brown scum in Sandycove had nothing to do with faecal matter, it was all just a great coincidence. Yet raw sewage is routinely being pumped into the Irish sea.

People on this side of the country need to get their own house in order before preaching about boglands which they have approximately zero interest in anyway.

Still, nice that you stayed living down the country anyway.:rolleyes:

Perhaps the waste treatments and DCC would have more money to spend if so much taxes weren't flowing out of Dublin...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It's definitely called turf mould, but I've never heard it pronounced as mould. How did your folks pronounce it?

It's turf mowld /mowl here. Others have (not unreasonably) offered 'turf mole/moll' and one weirdo calls it spruss or something.

Not sure how to spell it buts pronounced mowld d is optional. To me mowld is more like peat moss than the small bits off turf
    We call the larger lumps of small bits karawns . Probably bits larger than a table tennis ball.
    The small bits and dust we call Bruss

With Dublin bay a mess and 50% of septic tanks leaking I think we can agree we are all living in our own ****e in ireland

• Advertisement

Still, nice that you stayed living down the country anyway.:rolleyes:

Perhaps the waste treatments and DCC would have more money to spend if so much taxes weren't flowing out of Dublin...:)
    Last time I checked (admittedly it was a couple of years ago, but is probably still accurate) the bulk of our taxes come from outside Dublin. This is somewhat different to economic activity, but can be explained by the fact that so many MNCs in Dublin pay abnormally low taxes.
    With Dublin bay a mess and 50% of septic tanks leaking I think we can agree we are all living in our own ****e in ireland
    If you're living in a one-off house three miles outside Borrisokane or Ballymote, and your tank is leaking, you're probably not swimming in the effluent, or drinking it. In fact, if anything, it's probably supplying the soil with nutrients. Waste not, want not ! Still, those figures regarding faulty tanks need to be addressed. We are all responsible for the area we inhabit.

The same goes for deliberately pumping raw sewage into major waterways, which as far as I know is confined to urban communities.

Advertisement