Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals are here for us to kill, eat..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I'm 100% vegan apart from the odd steak, occasional burger (or chicken on a Sunday).

Roast Duck from the Chinese I also eat and I love Pizza too, but that's about it.

I'm a vegan cause I just feel better eating that way and not killing as many animals as most other humans do is a good thing I feel.

Don't be so judgmental. Listen to this little girl and tell me you don't feel guilty that animals died so you could have a nice lunch.

https://twitter.com/KRIRQ/status/1111304527620292609
    Poor kid. Good job she didnt watch rte investigates last week. It even made me cry.

Well I wonder why that is?

Something makes me doubt its from a moral perspective

Hindus believe that violence never brings spiritual peace, so slaughtering animals is considered wrong by many. Hindus aren't vegetarian in the way most in the West are, as they consume dairy products, it's just meat they refrain from eating. They don't describe themselves as vegetarian, and of course lots aren't lacto vegetarian and eat meat, particularly poultry or fish.

Cows are not scared, but considered god-like as they contribute so much nourishment to humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

endacl wrote: »
    Done. I don’t feel in the least bit guilty.

Well, then you're a monster! No better than Albert Fish. Enjoy your death meals! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Candie wrote: »

Cows are not scared

Well they should be!

Nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well, then you're a monster! No better than Albert Fish. Enjoy your death meals! :mad:

I will, thanks! Nice one. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i love animals. in fact other than my immediate family, animals are all i actually gave time for.
    they dont annoy, bully or drive me nuts (im being polite).

i woukdnt harm a gead on their bodies and would never accept anyone hurting one in any way.
    but i love meat. but without meaning to i actually eat very little meat most days, mostly due to lack of time. id love to be vegan or even vegetarian but i dont have the willpower though i do respect those who are because of animal welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

We should all buy packets of Dennys ham, eat McDonalds and complain about vegans on internet forums just our ancestors did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

No such thing as veganism in third world countries, or even many other countries, Turkey, Africa, etc.

Yeah, there's veganism in Turkey, and also in that other 'country' you mentioned, Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I actually think vegans believe that people would still keep farms full of sheep and cattle even if nobody was eating meat or drinking milk.
    They seem to believe that the lambs would run free in the field and grow into old age.
    There wouldn't be a sheep or cow outside of Dublin zoo if vegans got their way but they do t seem to see this side of it.

When down the line of humanity did all of a sudden people begin to think animals had feelings? Why are people only saying this in the last few years?

Really? People didn't all of a sudden think animals had feelings. They have always had feelings. Darwin wrote about this a long time ago. But maybe you think evolution isn't real either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

mickdw wrote: »
    I actually think vegans believe that people would still keep farms full of sheep and cattle even if nobody was eating meat or drinking milk.
    They seem to believe that the lambs would run free in the field and grow into old age.
    There wouldn't be a sheep or cow outside of Dublin zoo if vegans got their way but they do t seem to see this side of it.

What makes you think vegans believe any of that..?

You are a lot stupider than most vegans if you actually think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

anewme wrote: »
    OP, tell that to yer man who ate the Gecko.

That was the end of him.

Gordon?

i love animals. in fact other than my immediate family, animals are all i actually gave time for.

i woukdnt harm a gead on their bodies and would never accept anyone hurting one in any way.
    but i love meat. but without meaning to i actually eat very little meat most days, mostly due to lack of time. id love to be vegan or even vegetarian but i dont have the willpower though i do respect those who are because of animal welfare.

I don’t mean to single out your comment as I can see the sincere meaning behind it. But you said you wouldn’t harm a head on their body or accept anyone hurting animals in any way. You do know by purchasing meat or animal products, you are just paying someone else to do that for you...

That’s why I didn’t get the hypocrisy with all the outrage last week about the greyhounds. I’m guessing if we where all eating them then it would be perfectly acceptable, bred for that reason, evolution, would run free without us, happy life before they where mistreated etc etc

What makes you think vegans believe any of that..?
    Because most go on a out Led to n g the animals live a long and happy life grazing in the sun when the reality is that the animals will not exist.

Because most go on about letting the animals live a long and happy life grazing in the sun when the reality is that the animals will not exist.

Well I hope you dont drink Barry's tea.

I don’t mean to single out your comment as I can see the sincere meaning behind it. But you said you wouldn’t harm a head on their body or accept anyone hurting animals in any way. You do know by purchasing meat or animal products, you are just paying someone else to do that for you...

That’s why I didn’t get the hypocrisy with all the outrage last week about the greyhounds. I’m guessing if we where all eating them then it would be perfectly acceptable, bred for that reason, evolution, would run free without us, happy life before they where mistreated etc etc
    Did you actually watch the programme ?.

Because most go on about letting the animals live a long and happy life grazing in the sun when the reality is that the animals will not exist.

Most say that? No they don’t! A vegan would prefer for an animal not to be born at all into the life of our ‘farm’ animals, where in many cases the same-day they are born, their slaughter date is decided simultaneously!

Did you actually watch the programme ?.

I did yea..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I would not enjoy my food if I was a vegan,.it wouldn't suit me and also I wouldn't have time to do the logistics and seperation of this and that..... I can understand why some people pretend to love GUIYNESS(know what I mean)until they actually get a taste for it just to look and feel more Irish(as we are a cool country :cool: )but the intricacies of being a vegan never mind the amount of effort involved!?!? Just wouldn't suit me at-all at-all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

8-10 wrote: »
    Yeah but it the same time many animals exist and breed in the numbers they do because of Human activity.

The modern beef and dairy cow are manufactured and without humans wouldn't exist in the wild as they do now. We have shaped nature as a resource and it's more than just us killing animals who happen to be around, it's manufacturing nature by breeding animals for consumption, many in captivity and force-fed to fatten them up for us.

In addition the carbon dioxide produced is going to become more and more of a problem if farming continues to expand as populations do.

I'm no vegan, I eat meat and I eat veal on occasion. But I'm very aware that I'm not simply eating something that would have died anyway, I'm eating something that is only alive because I'm going to eat it. And it's only fair to acknowledge that in any moral debate.

I fully believe that the right solution is very very close for both sides as technology advances to mass produced lab-grown meat

Just on the carbon being produced by animals, through modern farming methods.... if we all become vegan to save the planet, what do we do with all the animals that will continue to breed (if there is no animal farming)...
    Do we cull them ?? Or would that annoy the vegans, or is it only the eating of animals that upsets them ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

July 2nd, another anti-vegan thread on boards. Only 2/3 more to go before the month's end. :rolleyes:

How is the OPs comment 'anti-vegan' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

anewme wrote: »
    OP, tell that to yer man who ate the Gecko.

That was the end of him.

Gordon?

No the bloke in the news at the moment.

He apparently ate a Gecko for a dare at a party and died in absolute agony 10 days later from salmonella.

His family are looking for answers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If we all became vegans... That old line sounds like if were all gay then humanity would die...

It's a complex debate, but the starting point is really simple.

Our modern industrial ways of consuming animals has, for some, become completely devoid of compassion and separated from our natural origins.

Some people, for ethical and completely understandable reasons make a decision not to support these industries.

Other people make choices along the same lines, but choose to source their animal products along more ethical lines, or just less of them.

Others continue as they are.

All valid, all debatable. But completely understandable, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I love how all this talk of 'animals' is always from a third person perspective. Newsflash, we're animals. Other animal species don't exist for the sole purpose of ending up on our plates. We're not some sort of special species magically chosen by some all powerful giant flying spaghetti monster in outer space, we're just another species of animal. In our particular case, we're omnivores. From a biological perspective, we're not meant to eat only plants or only other animals. We wouldn't have evolved canine teeth if we were to be completely herbivorous. FFS our closest living relatives, chimpanzees, aren't exclusively herbivorous either! They eat insects and hunt smaller mammals as well. Nature is all about balance. You can't have balance when only one side of the scales is weighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I want to know why in Ireland, so many people genuinely think it's wrong to kill animals to eat, like we have been doing for many, many years?

Why do you think it's OK to kill animals to eat? You've given no reason other than a weak appeal to nature fallacy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Cringe thread is cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think eating animals will continue to be fine once we find a way of reducing the human population by a few billion.
    If we fail and the human population continues to grow I don't see how eating real non synthetic meat will be possible for most of the population.

• Advertisement

Most say that? No they don’t! A vegan would prefer for an animal not to be born at all into the life of our ‘farm’ animals, where in many cases the same-day they are born, their slaughter date is decided

The ones I've meet here, at the farm gate are all of the opinion that it would be so much better if the lambs weren't being put to death. After responding that they wouldn't be alive if there wasn't a market for meat, one couple argued that th e animal did nothing to deserve death and should be allowed to live a full natural life.
    Another Looney told me.to my face that any person that can send his animals for slaughter is evil and that the grass grows from the land freely and the animal has a right to graze freely.
    I'm fairly happy with my opinion of vegan types.

Advertisement