Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which smartphone should i buy? Iphone or not????

• 21-10-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently thinking of getting a smartphone but cannot decide which is the best one to get.
    I originally was waiting for the iphone 5 but i am not sure if i should commit to 18mth contract for the iphone 4s.
    Also since it is my first smartphone i am getting confusing advice from friends. Some are saying iphones are the best while others are determined that androids such as the Samsung Galaxy SII or the new Galaxy Nexus or Sony Xperia Arc etc. are much better than the Iphone.
    I also get the feeling that a lot of Android users are very anti Apple products, and vice versa, that iphone users are ipod, itunes, ipad fans only.

So really what i would like is an unbiased opinion of which is currently the best smartphone for camera, light internet use, radio/music and of course for making some phone calls now and then.

Thanks...............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055514104

It's the old Mac or PC argument. Both are right and both wrong.
    I've used Android, iPhone and Nokia smartphone and each has its merit and issues.
    How about you spend 20 mins with your various friends' phones and try them out?
    See what works for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

biko wrote: »
    Read this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055514104

It's the old Mac or PC argument. Both are right and both wrong.
    I've used Android, iPhone and Nokia smartphone and each has its merit and issues.
    How about you spend 20 mins with your various friends' phones and try them out?
    See what works for you?
    I agree. And don't forget BlackBerry's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rookie76

Thanks. I suppose that i kinda had my mind made up on the iphone initially, but needed to be sure. I know that i wont be disappointed with any of them as it will be my first experience so wont have a comparison, but I just was never mad about the way Apples ipod restricted you with itunes, music sharing etc. and there are so many mixed reviews on the iphones.

Still i'm sure that for the kind of casual usage i intend there probably wont be any issues. Would really love if there was one outstanding phone above all others. I don't want to get the galaxy Sii and think after that i should have got the Iphone.
    Iphone 4s probably the safe bet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 smile!

had the original iphone and iphone 3gs before moving on to a Samsung galaxy s and now a Nokia e5. id definitely go with the apple iphone 4. new Nokia software on all there phones is slow and full of glitches which is a shame seen as im a big fan.

Samsung Galaxy are great phones but you'll just end up annoyed you don't have a iphone when you realise your missing out on apps you see advertised etc.

Good point on the apps. I know that android has lots of apps too but recently was checking out a new sports app advertised and it was only for iphone. Does this happen a lot or does android eventually have the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

rookie76 wrote: »
    Good point on the apps. I know that android has lots of apps too but recently was checking out a new sports app advertised and it was only for iphone. Does this happen a lot or does android eventually have the same?
    Sky go is reason enough for me to have an iPhone,live football anywhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

smile! wrote: »
    had the original iphone and iphone 3gs before moving on to a Samsung galaxy s and now a Nokia e5. id definitely go with the apple iphone 4. new Nokia software on all there phones is slow and full of glitches which is a shame seen as im a big fan.

Samsung Galaxy are great phones but you'll just end up annoyed you don't have a iphone when you realise your missing out on apps you see advertised etc.

Rooting will allow you use adfree

• Registered Users Posts: 17 smile!

it used to be really annoying when the android version of an app wasnt out. iphone is the most popular market by a long way...ive an upgrade coming and will be going back to one. no contest!!:D

Case closed i think.

Although I like the look of the other phones and not mad about the Iphone build in comparison, the apps issue is a major one.

Just hope that there are some available on Friday by the time i get to the shop.

Sorry almost forgot. Is it necessary to go bill phone to get the best use out of it. Dont make very many calls or texts and vodafone to vodafone are free anyway, so is it worth it. Have wifi at home, and vodafone were offering free internet with €20 top-up all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I'd also give Windows Phone 7 a look-in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I had the iphone and the android htc desire hd and I find the htc miles better,if the apps are a deal breaker then iphone is want you want.

Iphone havent impressed me in awhile untill then im with htc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Personally, of the smartphones I've owned. My Windows Phone 7 is my favorite. HTC recently released a new one thats fairly cheap as far as smartphones go.

Just to note, Android has many more free apps than iOS. Have your credit card ready

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Another thing to remember is that the reason that the iPhone needs so many apps is because its deliberately crap at rendering regular web content so you need an app to render pretty much the same content.

I say this as an iPhone 3GS user for almost 2 years struggling with the same dilemma as you right now, what next, iPhone or alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Another thing to remember is that the reason that the iPhone needs so many apps is because its deliberately crap at rendering regular web content so you need an app to render pretty much the same content.

I say this as an iPhone 3GS user for almost 2 years struggling with the same dilemma as you right now, what next, iPhone or alternative?

Having never been an iPhone user, could you give an example by any chance? I'm debating between the htc Sensation & the 4s & don't know what to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mollser

Hi all,

I am currently thinking of getting a smartphone <snip>, radio/music and of course for making some phone calls now and then.

Thanks...............

Well the iPhone doesn't have a radio, so you should rule it out on that basis alone. (radio station apps use data, and to change station you need to close and open a new app, not exactly user friendly).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Having never been an iPhone user, could you give an example by any chance? I'm debating between the htc Sensation & the 4s & don't know what to do!!

If you are thinking about the Sensation, look at the SGS2. There are too many screen issues cropping up with the Sensation for my liking.

The best thing to do is actually try out the phones. Personally, I don't like iTunes, so I stay away from iPhones.

Started with a N70, went from that to a HTC Hero, and upgraded recently to a SGS2. Music quality isn't superb on the SGS2, but it's acceptable, the screen is amazing, supports Flash, decent onboard memory, can expand with the microSD card, and so far, any app I want is available.

People seem to make a big deal about the iPhones quantity of apps, but a lot of them are repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Personally I've gone iPhone 3g -> HTC Desire (back to the 3G) -> iPhone4 -> SGS II (back to iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4s.

For me the iPhone 4 works better. I've not found an Android browser that is as smooth, quick and nice to use as iOS Safari (iOS has hardware acceleration, Android does not). I use iTunes to manage all my digital content, so that works for me, it is seamless and easy. Android requires me to jump through too many hoops to do what I want.

I feel like an iPhone can be the only device you need in your pocket, with Android I still needed my iPod or laptop, media on either of the droids was not as enjoyable or easy to get on the device.

Finally, I found e-mail, keyboards and batter life on the droids awful. For me, Android did not tick all the boxes my iPhone did. Make no mistake the SGS II is a beast of a phone, but the 4s shows it a clean pair of heels, it is seriously slick and blazingly fast.

If you are thinking about the Sensation, look at the SGS2. There are too many screen issues cropping up with the Sensation for my liking.

The best thing to do is actually try out the phones. Personally, I don't like iTunes, so I stay away from iPhones.

Started with a N70, went from that to a HTC Hero, and upgraded recently to a SGS2. Music quality isn't superb on the SGS2, but it's acceptable, the screen is amazing, supports Flash, decent onboard memory, can expand with the microSD card, and so far, any app I want is available.

People seem to make a big deal about the iPhones quantity of apps, but a lot of them are repeated.

I agree with you there about apps...all you're ever going to need are a few anyway & after that they're all repeated.

I haven't researched much about the phones yet tbh cos I don't plan on getting it for another few wks but what do you mean when you say screen issues? I've noticed that the Sensation XE is out now and the XL is coming out soon so I'm actually thinking of the XL....I just really like the Sense UI on htc mobiles. Does the SGS2 have something to rival that? I have a Samsung Wave at the mo and it just doesn't match it really imo.

Music on the devices doesn't bother me too much really as I have an iPod.

One last Q for you...I've seen a lot of people give out about how they don't like having to sync with iTunes all the time with the iPhone, but surely this makes life easy as it does everything automatically for you? Am I missing something???

bd250110 wrote: »
    Finally, I found e-mail, keyboards and batter life on the droids awful. For me, Android did not tick all the boxes my iPhone did. Make no mistake the SGS II is a beast of a phone, but the 4s shows it a clean pair of heels, it is seriously slick and blazingly fast.

You've just been sucked into the Apple ecosystem with your music still in iTunes. I hate iTunes, it's horrible, the worst POS software you could ever install on a Windows pc. And that jumping through hoops is called drag and drop, which on Android doesn't limit you to your own collection.

I'd agree the default Samsung Touchwiz email and keyboard is shíte, but there's no way you've tried every Android email client or keyboard on the market, there are literally hundreds. The choice is there to make what you want of Android

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

One last Q for you...I've seen a lot of people give out about how they don't like having to sync with iTunes all the time with the iPhone, but surely this makes life easy as it does everything automatically for you? Am I missing something???
    Yep. As PogMoThoin just said, I suspect you've not used iTunes on Windows. It stinks. It's slow, unreliable and it's a hog.

It's a lot better on MacOS X, but it's still slow, and it can become unresponsive very easily. I use it only as a music player.

What it does, the iPhone does very well, but it's not for everyone. Despite this, its fans can be a little bit excessive in their praise sometimes - it wasn't the automatic best choice when it came out, it still isn't now.

I've a Nokia N8 (which I wouldn't recommend until the new Symbian Belle software update is released for it, btw), and I wouldn't trade it for an iPhone, because iPhone can't do some of the things I use my N8 for regularly.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You've just been sucked into the Apple ecosystem with your music still in iTunes. I hate iTunes, it's horrible, the worst POS software you could ever install on a Windows pc. And that jumping through hoops is called drag and drop, which on Android doesn't limit you to your own collection.

I'd agree the default Samsung Touchwiz email and keyboard is shíte, but there's no way you've tried every Android email client or keyboard on the market, there are literally hundreds. The choice is there to make what you want of Android

Maybe I have been sucked in, but to be honest, I like being able to purchase my music on my Mac and for it to appear on my iPhone or iPad automatically. The latest ebook I have downloaded is there on any of my devices, right where I left off and all the new TV Shows I have unwatched in my library are also on my devices. It's great for me, because I have better things to do with my time than worry what is on what device and what is not.

I want is a good experience, right out of the box. The iPhone delivers most of what I want, so Im a happy customer. I never found an Android e-mail client I got on with. iOS puts a dot next to unread e-mails, so it was much easier to tell at a glance what is read and unread. I know this may seem like a trivial thing, but small touches like this, replicated throughout the phone make a difference to usability.

For me an iPhone works best, but that is just me. For people who are as ingrained into the Google way as I am the Apple way Android can make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Maybe I have been sucked in, but to be honest, I like being able to purchase my music on my Mac and for it to appear on my iPhone or iPad automatically. The latest ebook I have downloaded is there on any of my devices, right where I left off and all the new TV Shows I have unwatched in my library are also on my devices. It's great for me, because I have better things to do with my time than worry what is on what device and what is not.

I have absolutely no interest in modifying every micro setting on my phone. All I want is a good experience, right out of the box. The iPhone delivers most of what I want, so Im a happy customer. I never found an e-mail client I got on with, any I tried shaded messages, whereas iOS puts a dot next to unread e-mails, so it was much easier to tell at a glance. I know this may seem like a trivial thing, but small touches like this, replicated throughout the phone make a difference to usability.

I think you've captured a lot in one post BD. The iphone (or for that matter any iOS device) just works straight out of the box. If you want something more customisable (like some people do including myself who uses a BlackBerry) then another device might suit more.

Maybe I have been sucked in, but to be honest, I like being able to purchase my music on my Mac and for it to appear on my iPhone or iPad automatically.

My point entirely. Someone with a Windows pc may not get as good an experience. Itunes on windows is terrible and they force you use it.

Android is never going to work right for you, Jobs made sure of that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I4s VS GS2. Witch is better?

Found a few vids utube to help ya.. Yea I know people will say he's biased or whatever but I have found his views to be more on the mark than off it.
    Enjoy :)

Round one:

Round Two:

And Round three:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I hate iTunes, it's horrible, the worst POS software you could ever install on a Windows pc.
    Couldn't agree more on that,it pains me to even open that programme.

It just runs horribly on pc.
    It's actually quicker to download an album you already own from a torrent site to open in iTunes than rip an album in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yes to Lisbon a

I had the same dilemma recently and went with the Samsung Galaxy S2, the Iphone 4 is completely over rated by the ifanbots. The Iphone was great when it first came out but has been seriously over taken since then, sure Samsung made a quarter of it, and apple make none of it how is it meant to stay in front when the competition in Asia actually make it.

See also, click here.

Get the iphone by all means if you like it, its suits some people, but make up your own mind and don't listen to the best marketing machine at the moment.

KrisW wrote: »
    Yep. As PogMoThoin just said, I suspect you've not used iTunes on Windows. It stinks. It's slow, unreliable and it's a hog.

It's a lot better on MacOS X, but it's still slow, and it can become unresponsive very easily. I use it only as a music player.

What it does, the iPhone does very well, but it's not for everyone. Despite this, its fans can be a little bit excessive in their praise sometimes - it wasn't the automatic best choice when it came out, it still isn't now.

I've a Nokia N8 (which I wouldn't recommend until the new Symbian Belle software update is released for it, btw), and I wouldn't trade it for an iPhone, because iPhone can't do some of the things I use my N8 for regularly.

Ah right ok! You're suspicion is correct...I've never used iTunes on Windows, only on my Mac so that explains that I guess!

I actually have the N8 too, what drives me mad about it is the qwerty keyboard in landscape mode...not at all touch-friendly :( The camera is outstanding on the other hand though! I reckon I'll be throwing it up on ebay shortly.

For me, the downsides of the iPhone appear to be:
    1) the crap ringtones they have on it - they're a dead loss in fairness
    2) the super-short lead attached the charger - if I'm going to have to charge it every night then I want the lead to be long enough to reach my bed at least!
    3) the overall look of the phone is just downright boring to me - it looks EXACTLY like all previous iPhones, the iPhone was pure class when it first came out but 4yrs later it still looks the same...YAWN!!!

PS I'm also considering the N9 - any thoughts on that??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I agree with you there about apps...all you're ever going to need are a few anyway & after that they're all repeated.

I haven't researched much about the phones yet tbh cos I don't plan on getting it for another few wks but what do you mean when you say screen issues? I've noticed that the Sensation XE is out now and the XL is coming out soon so I'm actually thinking of the XL....I just really like the Sense UI on htc mobiles. Does the SGS2 have something to rival that? I have a Samsung Wave at the mo and it just doesn't match it really imo.

Music on the devices doesn't bother me too much really as I have an iPod.

For the Sensation, just google "Sensation screen issues" and you'll see a number of hits about the screen becoming unresponsive after even a couple of weeks. I had a problem with the Hero, about a year after I got it. They replaced the screen under warrenty, but it was enough to make me wary.

I liked the SenseUI on the Hero, and the TouchWizzUI is just Samsungs' version of it. It's grand. The Samsung keyboard I changed for SwiftKeyX. Got the trial for a month, and it's the first app I'm actually considering buying.

I can't stand iTunes. I don't understand what people find so hard about drag and drop. Connect your phone/mp3 player. Select the music. Drop it into the folder on your phone. Done. MP3 files can be played on almost everything now, AAC files cannot play on anything that doesn't have an Apple logo.

You have a Wave at the moment, but that's like comparing a Corsa with an M5. Both do essentially the same thing, but aimed at completely different ends of the spectrum.

Haven't watched the XE & XL develop, but I'd go for the XE being Dual Core, better res screen (while a touch smaller). Internal storage is less, and that's disappointing, but supports up to 32gb SD cards, and comes with a 16gb one.

• Advertisement

Android is never going to work right for you, Jobs made sure of that

I actually completely disagree with you on this. My iCloud e-mail, calendars and contacts all worked well with Android. Double twist was a good substitute for most of iTunes functions, and offered WiFi sync before iTunes ever did. I just didn't like they way my info was presented on the phone.

As I say, iOS works best for what I want to do with my phone, in all honesty other than the Market Vs AppStore most people will never notice a difference. I love the way my iPhone looks, the way it feels in my hand, the way it works with the hardware and software I already have, no messing, no fooling around.

Advertisement