Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should nuts in school be banned for the small % who have "nut allergies"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

No I think schools for children should be banned.
    They should go out and do a days work like the rest of us.
    For far too long these pint-sized layabouts have shafted the system, lolling about in cozy schools whilst I go out working and payong for everything with my taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

If a child in the school has an allergy, diagnosed, then fair enough.
    But I've seen schools ban nuts and not have any children with officially diagnosed allergies, just in case??

I would totally comply with any ban and wouldn't risk any child's health.

I do wonder why there seems to be an increase in severe allergies over the last decade though. People try to say they were always there, but the nut bans were never there when we were kids, and surely if these severe reactions were at the same rate as today, there would be kids going into anaphylactic shock all over the place back then???

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Billions of Monkey nuts handed out at Halloween years ago

Nobody died

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Let's just let the need to vaccinate slide as well while were at it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Why were there no nut allergies in schools years ago?

There were. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There's a ban in my sons school. It doesn't impact us at all. If he wants peanut butter, Nutella etc he can have them at home. There are plenty of options available for him to eat. Complaining about it seems very selfish under the circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ Elora Wide Stack

If being careful about what goes in the lunch box means another child avoids anaphylaxis then I have no problem with it.

All schools where I am have a complete 'no nuts' policy, its no big deal but if my child had a severe nut allergy then I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Our school (490 children) has a total nut ban. No problem, because all of our parents are good in this regard, you'd want to be a particular kind of gobdaw like the OP to endanger other children's lives.

Bullies bringing nuts in as a threat is, frankly, hilarious. Do you have primary age children? (Maybe the OP's kids if they have any, might, but otherwise :rolleyes:

And funnily enough, children who have serious allergic reactions don't feel the need to bow to peer pressure to put themselves at risk of death.

I don't have any children and frankly your response is lacking in maturity. Bullies are not all the knuckle dragging type they used to be perceived as, they have evolved and come in many different types especially as kids.

There are cases of kids bullying others for purposes of amusement, some bully by assaulting someone all while the youtube recording bully captures the moments as they enjoy watching others suffer. You have cases in the courts of teen bullies sexually assaulting and raping other children or teens through peer pressure or force and coercion.

Don't underestimate a bullies ability to use any situation to their advantage, yes some kids may be able to stand up to peer pressure however there are those that are not able to.

I went to school with bullies who were drug dealing so they could get free drugs from their dealer by getting others hooked, also some teens at my school you assaulted others with blades. Others were bullied for their sexual orientation, disability, social status, religion. We had bullies male and female who took advantage of others, its not purely defined by sex, gender, social or religious background for the bully or victim.

Bullies adapt as much as anyone else, i wouldn't put it passed a bully to use an allergy or affliction against someone. and soon as you recognize that maybe you will be that bit wiser and educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

A girl in my year in secondary school had a severe peanut nut allergy. Even the dust of one could set her off. There were almost 1000 students in the school and we had no problem adhering to a no peanuts policy. In my entire time there, she never once ended up in a critical situation. I'm really struggling to see why it would be an issue for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Shelli2 wrote: »
    If a child in the school has an allergy, diagnosed, then fair enough.
    But I've seen schools ban nuts and not have any children with officially diagnosed allergies, just in case??

I would totally comply with any ban and wouldn't risk any child's health.

I do wonder why there seems to be an increase in severe allergies over the last decade though. People try to say they were always there, but the nut bans were never there when we were kids, and surely if these severe reactions were at the same rate as today, there would be kids going into anaphylactic shock all over the place back then???

Yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's the same argument as juggling knives. It it's probably ok exercise and I'm sure the kids who are skilled at it would be fairly safe, but when it goes wrong someone's ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

What is the general consensus on this. IMO, I find it bizarre that the rest of the school population has to accommodate an extremely small % of kids who have an alleged nut allergy. One of the few things we can give kids that are healthy and they enjoy are being banned.

Do the schools ask for a confirmation from their doctor before they ask the rest of school population what to not feed their children? I have my suspicions that alot of these allergies are self diagnosed or the parents have been to some quack that did an online course.

What do these parents do when their kids are outside of school or go to summer camp, for a walk. Will the whole world bend to their needs?

You really need to educate yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Billions of Monkey nuts handed out at Halloween years ago

Nobody died

Yes they actually did . Have you ever seen a child in anaphylactic shock ? I have and I did in the 70’s too and it’s frightening and horrible and a child can die before your eyes

My granddaughter is in Junior infants and they cannot bring in nuts or Nutella
    Its not a problem at all and the children are well aware why they must protect their friend . They get it at age 4 and 5 and have no problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Banning nuts increases allergies due to lack of exposure.

Now, read through this thread again and look at all the "gobdaws" on their high horses, making the problem worse while thinking themselves ultra considerate and clever.

Science deniers come in all stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Is it really that much of a personal sacrifice to not send your kids to school with nuts in their lunchbox?

There was a child in the UK last year who had a severe dairy intolerance that all other children & staff were aware of.
    Unfortunately dairy was a much harder food group to restrict & ban than nuts, so the child was heavily monitored instead.

One day, for a laugh, one of his classmates flicked a pice of cheese at the child that hit him in the neck. He didn’t even ingest it, it merely touched his skin.
    He collapsed and died a few hours later.

Allergies are no joke and can have severe consequences if not correctly managed.

Would you rather your child be responsible for the death of their classmate due to a ‘joke’ like the above?
    Or would you rather an outright ban, both to protect those with allergies and the other children like the above who do stupid things for lols?

One child is dead, and the other has to live with the consequences of the fact that he’s responsible for the death of his classmate.

I know which I’d pick. It’s the better option all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

Curious , what criminal proceedings could have been brought ?
    I feel sorry for the child in question, but little Johnny or Mary can bring a nut product to school without their parents knowledge.
    Not 100% sure but I know the school had to send legal correspondence as this was the 3rd it 4th time said parents had sent child to school with nut products it seems they were giving the child the stuff to bring in .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I don't have any children and frankly your response is lacking in maturity. Bullies are not all the knuckle dragging type they used to be perceived as, they have evolved and come in many different types especially as kids.

There are cases of kids bullying others for purposes of amusement, some bully by assaulting someone all while the youtube recording bully captures the moments as they enjoy watching others suffer. You have cases in the courts of teen bullies sexually assaulting and raping other children or teens through peer pressure or force and coercion.

Don't underestimate a bullies ability to use any situation to their advantage, yes some kids may be able to stand up to peer pressure however there are those that are not able to.

I went to school with bullies who were drug dealing so they could get free drugs from their dealer by getting others hooked, also some teens at my school you assaulted others with blades. Others were bullied for their sexual orientation, disability, social status, religion. We had bullies male and female who took advantage of others, its not purely defined by sex, gender, social or religious background for the bully or victim.

Bullies adapt as much as anyone else, i wouldn't put it passed a bully to use an allergy or affliction against someone. and soon as you recognize that maybe you will be that bit wiser and educated.

You lost me at "I don't have any children." Educated?Wiser?I'm a primary teacher with over 30 years of experience. We have had a nut ban for about 15 years and never any issue with any child being threatened in such a fashion. Children who may otherwise be unkind or even bully others are very protective of the children with SEN/physical disabilities and allergies.

At a rough count. I've taught in 10 different schools. I'm in contact with hundreds of primary teachers per week. So, you know what, I'm going to claim more wisdom and education in this area?

I've witnessed junior infants tell sub teachers that X can't eat nuts/needs to go to the bathroom more often than others/needs an inhaler sometimes at PE (Sub teacher is always informed of any children with additional needs, but the children look out for them anyhow.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Hobosan wrote: »

Now, read through this thread again and look at all the "gobdaws" on their high horses, making the problem worse while thinking themselves ultra considerate and clever.

It's not banning nuts? Its just at school. my daughters school went nut free this year because there is a student with an allergy. She can (and does) happily scoff down PB&J sandwiches, nutella, Reeses pieces and trail mix when at home or in public anywhere else. Hardly a big deal.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Is it really that much of a personal sacrifice to not send your kids to school with nuts in their lunchbox?

There was a child in the UK last year who had a severe dairy intolerance that all other children & staff were aware of.
    Unfortunately dairy was a much harder food group to restrict & ban than nuts, so the child was heavily monitored instead.

One day, for a laugh, one of his classmates flicked a pice of cheese at the child that hit him in the neck. He didn’t even ingest it, it merely touched his skin.
    He collapsed and died a few hours later.

Allergies are no joke and can have severe consequences if not correctly managed.

Would you rather your child be responsible for the death of their classmate due to a ‘joke’ like the above?
    Or would you rather an outright ban, both to protect those with allergies and the other children like the above who do stupid things for lols?

One child is dead, and the other has to live with the consequences of the fact that he’s responsible for the death of his classmate.

I know which I’d pick. It’s the better option all round.

Really?

https://news.sky.com/story/boys-death-from-allergic-reaction-after-cheese-hit-neck-unprecedented-11710285

Wow!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Hobosan wrote: »

Seriously?So the non-allergic children should inoculate the others by killing them?
    I presume you are anti vax as well, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

boombang wrote: »
    Really?

Yep, link here so you can read for yourself. I followed the case when it first broke & actually felt really sorry for both children involved.
    Even though what he did was really stupid and nasty he never meant to kill the other child.

Sometimes, kids are just idiots and don’t think of the consequences.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boy-death-allergic-reaction-cheese-dairy-school-karanbir-cheema-a8895006.html?amp

Edit: saw you found the link yourself! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

the_syco wrote: »
    What about people who are deadly allergic to bee stings? Should the schools not have flowers?

Anything that can be controlled probably should be. Not all variables can be dealt with but that doesn’t mean all should then be ignored. I’m amazed this has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I was on a flight recently where the attendants constantly told us there's a passenger with a nut allergy on board, so please don't consume stuff with nuts and we won't sell it either.
    Somehow we all survived.

Also my kid's school is nut free because 2 kids are allergic. It really isn't a big deal, there are so many things to pack in a lunchbox instead.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Yep, link here so you can read for yourself. I followed the case when it first broke & actually felt really sorry for both children involved.
    Even though what he did was really stupid and nasty he never meant to kill the other child.

Sometimes, kids are just idiots and don’t think of the consequences.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boy-death-allergic-reaction-cheese-dairy-school-karanbir-cheema-a8895006.html?amp

Crazy case. Poor lad.

Report here says his Epi-Pen was a year out of date. In fairness, that would seem pretty outlandish to expect a death.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/02/boy-with-allergy-died-cheese-flicked-at-him-london-inquest-told

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

by removing nuts from public spaces we will increase the number of kids with nut allergies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What is the general consensus on this. IMO, I find it bizarre that the rest of the school population has to accommodate an extremely small % of kids who have an alleged nut allergy. One of the few things we can give kids that are healthy and they enjoy are being banned.

Do the schools ask for a confirmation from their doctor before they ask the rest of school population what to not feed their children? I have my suspicions that alot of these allergies are self diagnosed or the parents have been to some quack that did an online course.

What do these parents do when their kids are outside of school or go to summer camp, for a walk. Will the whole world bend to their needs?

Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

by removing nuts from public spaces we will increase the number of kids with nut allergies.

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I don't know why i thought this thread was in parenting.

Fecking after hours? Yeah, kill all the kids then we can all eat/suck eachothers nuts.

That's the level of answer this place deserves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Peatys wrote: »
    I don't know why i thought this thread was in parenting.

Fecking after hours? Yeah, kill all the kids then we can all eat/suck eachothers nuts.

That's the level of answer this place deserves

I wouldn't take it :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement