Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in God?

• 28-09-2019 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I'd like to think I do. Light candles in a church for people that have passed away in my life. And I certainly identify as an Irish Catholic for ethnicity purposes.

Having said that, I'm firmly of the belief that when you die you're absolutely gone. If an afterlife does exist, it makes no sense how anyone would actually know what it's like there.

The church have been responsible for the most heinous crimes against individuals since the state got independence. And suicide bombers are mostly influenced by religion to carry out what they do.

I think I believe in God, but not in religion, while also thinking an afterlife doesn't exist.

Do you believe in God 547 votes

Yes
    89% 488 votes
    No
    10% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I'm a bit like yourself, I want to believe but in truth I'm not sure I do. In a way I'm clinging on to custom and tradition as much as faith. I'd like to think however that we aspire to more than just a short existence on earth and then buried in the clay. I hope there is some form of aferlife. But probably not. I've a, probably irrational, fear of death and nothingness so I think I cling into a little bit of belief to reassure myself that there's more to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It's as much a part of the human condition to hope against hope for life after "the end" as it is to, say, participate in or watch sport. Virtually every society has believed in some sort of deity or afterlife, after all.

That's why I despise the obese, sneering internet atheists you will find on websites like this. The kind who giggle into their braided goatees about space teapots or flying spaghetti monsters. Their claims to be operating on a higher intellectual plain instead of jogging or believing in the supernatural rings a little hollow to myself when you see them indulging in their basest urges: sitting and eating processed food until they pass out. The kind with exotic colours and cartoon characters on the packaging.

I do respect that many people are desperate for comfort as they come close to death but ultimately there's no reason in my view to believe in god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Nobody believes in God. If they did believe there was a all knowing being that would judge us at the end for our sins then they would be much better people.

I know God doesn’t exist, but I try to live like he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I believe in God. I also believe the fundamentals of all organised religions is to treat others with kindness, empathy and respect including yourself. Many people don't have God or any God in their lives in these times and society isn't better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

There could be but I doubt it , there's too much injustice in the world for a god. Look at the Catholic Church , the biggest organisation of child molesters in history . Do you think if there was a god, he would just sit back and watch all his spokes people on Earth , rape and molest young boys for centuries and do nothing about it.
    Say you were Jewish , would you not find it hard to believe in a god after ww2 . 6 million Jews were killed in gas chambers , it wasn't god that stopped it , it was allied soldiers.
    I hate when you read about someone having an accident and they thank God for saving them . What about all the doctors , nurses and emergency crews that helped??
    There's been thousands of different gods since time began. Who's to say our God is the only god and rest are made up. There's about as much evidence for them all .... None

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I have a question for you OP. You say you believe in God, light candles for people etc. So you must believe therefore that God can intervene in our lives? Do you also believe then that God is all seeing?
    Do you live your life believing God can see what you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

No, but I respect others beliefs and don't feel the need to put a label on myself either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No, the entire concept is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No. Its illogical that a god could exist when terrible things happen to innocent people. If that's what God is I want no part of it.

• Advertisement

• Do you believe in God?

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    That's why I despise the obese

Hilariously consistent once again, Woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

There could be but I doubt it , there's too much injustice in the world for a god. Look at the Catholic Church , the biggest organisation of child molesters in history . Do you think if there was a god, he would just sit back and watch all his spokes people on Earth , rape and molest young boys for centuries and do nothing about it.
    Say you were Jewish , would you not find it hard to believe in a god after ww2 . 6 million Jews were killed in gas chambers , it wasn't god that stopped it , it was allied soldiers.
    I hate when you read about someone having an accident and they thank God for saving them . What about all the doctors , nurses and emergency crews that helped??
    There's been thousands of different gods since time began. Who's to say our God is the only god and rest are made up. There's about as much evidence for them all .... None

You sound very much like George Carlin here lol
    Agreed 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I did up until I was 19, when a couple of things happened that broke my faith.

I'm going against the grain here by saying I'm worse off without it. That's the truth for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Totally, unequivocally and with all my heart, soul and every part of my being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I believe in God. I also believe the fundamentals of all organised religions is to treat others with kindness, empathy and respect including yourself. Many people don't have God or any God in their lives in these times and society isn't better for it.

But do you need to believe in God to show kindness and respect people . I don't believe in God and yet I treat people fine. You get your values from your parents . Look at American society the most religious one in the western world . And yet, they are as far away from Christian teaching as you can go . Love thy neighbour , no let's build a big wall . Thou shall not kill , they've been constantly at war killing people since the countries been created . Do not steal , tell that to the Indians. A camel has more chance of going through an eye of a needle than a rich man has of going to heaven. And yet Americans love money , it's the most capitalist society in the world. I'm just making an example that a lot of religious people are some of the biggest hypocrites in the world .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I don’t think so, but it’s not something I spend any amount of time thinking about. I do think some of the internet atheists believe that their declaration of there being no God marks them out as great intellectuals who have rallied against society. As opposed to it being the easiest thing in the world to do.

That said, I do send my children to private schools with a religious ethos. None of this lowest common denominator Educate Together bullshït.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I see absolutely no reason to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I did up until I was 19, when a couple of things happened that broke my faith.

I'm going against the grain here by saying I'm worse off without it. That's the truth for me personally.

The God hole. The gaping spiritual hole in a person’s life that would once have been filled with faith. And now they attempt to fill that hole through worshipping the gospel of consumerism. Doesn’t work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

ya I do and Santa Claus and the tooth fairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

This is simply not true. We don't need to believe in an imaginary being to treat others with respect or ourselves. We do not need to believe in archaic books to have morals and empathy towards others. To say that society is better because of organised religion is simply not true. In fact many heinous acts here in Ireland and around the world have been committed by religious people and ordained people. Women persecuted, children raped, babies thrown into septic tanks or sold off to the highest bidders in the USA and all covered up by the Vatican. I don't believe in any any god that another man tells me is there without proof and proper proof not blind faith and I am a good person, law abiding and I treat people with kindness empathy and respect because it's the right thing to do not because a book written by men thousands of years ago tells me to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I despise the obese, sneering internet atheists you will find on websites like this...

...ultimately there's no reason in my view to believe in god.

Pot, kettle?

I don't personally believe in god, take no issue with those that do believe in god and do believe that religion enriches the lives of many people. I do take issue with those that those that try to impose their religious beliefs on me or my family and will kick back when this happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I don't know whether there's a God or not.

It's a bit early yet but sooner or later you'll have the looney atheists and the strident christians coming in here to have their say.

You'll hear word's like sky fairy, Russell's teapot, the flying spaghetti monster etc
    which is usually from bitter atheists who are obsessed with God, letting everyone know how intelligent atheists really are, shower of dick head's some of them.

I'm more pagan myself, just earth wind and fire baby....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Which one?

There's hundreds of them.

The God hole. The gaping spiritual hole in a person’s life that would once have been filled with faith. And now they attempt to fill that hole through worshipping the gospel of consumerism. Doesn’t work though.

I wouldn't say consumerism has anything to do with it for me personally. But it does leave a hole undoubtedly. I think my lack of faith combined with my natural outlook on life is the problem, and I can absolutely understand why it would be different for many other atheists. I'm sure the day they let go of it was the day it absolutely enriched their life.

That just wasn't the case for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It's as much a part of the human condition to hope against hope for life after "the end" as it is to, say, participate in or watch sport. Virtually every society has believed in some sort of deity or afterlife, after all.

That's why I despise the obese, sneering internet atheists you will find on websites like this. The kind who giggle into their braided goatees about space teapots or flying spaghetti monsters. Their claims to be operating on a higher intellectual plain instead of jogging or believing in the supernatural rings a little hollow to myself when you see them indulging in their basest urges: sitting and eating processed food until they pass out. The kind with exotic colours and cartoon characters on the packaging.

I do respect that many people are desperate for comfort as they come close to death but ultimately there's no reason in my view to believe in god.

So atheists on the internet are bearded, obese, hate jogging and gorge themselves on coco pops every night, good to know.

That you Dawkins lol

So atheists on the internet are bearded, obese, hate jogging and gorge themselves on coco pops every night, good to know.

Most on the internet are **** anyhow....

From a loving agnostic :)

nthclare wrote: »
    That you Dawkins lol

Not enough air of wanker about the post to be Dawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I'd agree with you on that, I'd like to think I'm agnostic but i just can't get myself to that level of belief, ill stay in the atheist box for now i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The question is whether you believe. Agnosticism is a different story.

Advertisement