Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 11 rays cyst

Ehm... are you in favour of wars, undeveloped medical practises, improper sanitation and poorly kept food?

No. I’m not in favour of Africa or anywhere that can’t sustain itself because they can’t prioritise and are spiralling out of control. And we shouldn’t be perpetuating their misery either by sustaining it....I think nature is supposed to kick in, and cull the herd but here we are meddling again. Oh the humanity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

gozunda wrote: »
    RHJ wrote: »
    Fair play to everyone that turned up today from the pictures I have seen on Facebook it looks like a decent turnout hopefully the protests will continue until the government implements some decent changes to protect the environment.

Waffle. Nothing like a bunch of placard wavers virtue signaling about 'protecting the environment ...

At least they are trying to do something, what have you done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You clearly didn’t read to the end of the article in the Independent did you?

To save you time here or two quotes from the article.

“I don’t think people should look at volcanoes underneath west Antarctica as a serious concern for causing instability,” he said.”

“If you have got thinning ice cover over a volcanic region there is every reason to suggest it will increase the volcanism,” he said.

As the pressure exerted on the mantle by the glacier decreases and allows more heat to escape, this could cause a feedback loop in which the melt rate continues to increase.”

They also say "We just don’t know about how active these volcanoes have been in the past,”

There's just lots of unknowns but of course it suits an agenda to say it's all the farmers fault for breeding cows who produce methane.etc etc. .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,154 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Irexit wrote: »
    Even Prof Ray Bates from Met Eireann said there is no proof that man made climate change is real.

This is a total non issue to be protesting about.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/irish-scientist-questions-warnings-on-climate-change-1.3738727

Heeh.

Everyone should read that article because it completely destroys what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

At least they are trying to do something, what have you done?

Read the link I included. Btw I'm not out virtue signalling - this lot are. Waving placards and blocking up the city isn't 'doing something' (sic) whatever way you look at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    There was a time when Ireland had vast amounts of old estate's with sprawling woodlands and meadows without the imposing walls and ditches you'll see today

Created by our oppressors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

nullzero wrote: »
    The irony of using a product derived from animal carcasses to make a point about the environment by people who most likely champion animal right as well.

What makes you think they are going to use glue from the 1950s?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John2136

So what's the general opinion on here about the protest that is due to happen at 1 PM tomorrow will you be out supporting the protesters for Extinction Rebellion Ireland?

https://www.newstalk.com/news/extinction-rebellion-dublin-849302

Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend the protest tomorrow, but I fully support the people protesting and the message that governments, especially ours needs to do more to combat global warming. I'd love for the country to implement new green policies such as reforestation of large areas of the countryside with traditional Irish broadleaf trees rather than the current commercial crap that we have at the moment. I'd also like to see a right to roam type law implemented, which would give walkers and outdoor enthusiasts better access to the countryside and encourage eco-tourism rather than the current unsustainable model that we have at the moment.

If you had the power to implement any environmental policies. What would you do?

They're all fools, global warming is a hoax created by the Chinese.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

its awful strange that there is an existential crisis facing every generation.

almost as if it suits some people's mentalities to have a cause celebre to lecture everyone else about and grab some attention for themselves

ive no problem with addressing inefficient energy, consumption, waste etc and am fine with higher taxes to do so.

but a gang of self appointed morally superior wretches blocking the town as a form of public footstamping tantrum is hole-sickening display.

and the youth of the country are as distractable, shallow and clueless as the youth has always been. theres zero reason to take direction from them on this or any other matter. theyll get a vote in their own time and are free to make their own lifestyle changes in the meantime, sams as anybody else.

humbug!

This entire post reeks of insecurity and projection. Mate the 'youth' you're talking about are on their late 20s and 30s. These are the people now.

You're no longer the demographic. Its no wonder you feel threatened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I just don't understand what they are protesting for, are they anti warm weather,what do they think can be done,are they just addicted to protesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭John2136

Sawduck wrote: »
    I just don't understand what they are protesting for, are they anti warm weather,what do they think can be done,are they just addicted to protesting

Bunch of clowns if you ask me

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

nullzero wrote: »
    I'll only support it if they start gluing themselves to things.

The irony of using a product derived from animal carcasses to make a point about the environment by people who most likely champion animal right as well.

Mate i think your time travel machine is off by 100 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If you want to know why we're ****ed you just have to look at this thread. The apathy and denial and ignorance towards the single biggest issue mankind faces is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If you want to know why we're ****ed you just have to look at this thread. The apathy and denial and ignorance towards the single biggest issue mankind faces is staggering.

Most people agree that its a huge problem. The biggest we will face. They just don't think blocking the LUAS helps.

I agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Kirby wrote: »
    Most people agree that its a huge problem. The biggest we will face. They just don't think blocking the LUAS helps.

I agree with them.

Let's face it, and I'm not trying to be cute, people like yourself are unlikely to ask a politician who comes to your door next general election season about climate policy, and are even more unlikely to vote along those lines. So how seriously you take it is a question that will be left hanging in the air.

At least these people are making a nuisance of themselves (and the intention is to be a nuisance).

Looking at these people you have two options:

1. "Check out these crusties, police should baton them back to their crusty camps."

Or,

2. "Hey, maybe they're on to something here. Perhaps I could change my consumption behavior somewhat and maybe encourage policy makers to do more."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

If you had the power to implement any environmental policies. What would you do?

Build a zero emissions nuclear power plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Build a zero emissions nuclear power plant.

I would have been on board with a nuclear power plant for Ireland up until the fiasco with the new one in Somerset unfolded. The point of new nuclear power plants is now to keep the nuclear industry going, not because it makes economic sense (it doesn't any more) or indeed environmental concerns.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

SeanW wrote: »
    I was there today at O'Connell Street/Bridge (most assuredly NOT as a protester, rather an observer).

So committed were they to supporting a low-carbon lifestyle that they blocked the Luas. Plonkers.

I was there as well and they specifically did not block the Luas, or traffic going along the Quays.

Why bother even lying about this?

Yurt! wrote: »
    Let's face it, and I'm not trying to be cute, people like yourself are unlikely to ask a politician who comes to your door next general election season about climate policy, and are even more unlikely to vote along those lines. So how seriously you take it is a question that will be left hanging in the air.

At least these people are making a nuisance of themselves (and the intention is to be a nuisance).

Looking at these people you have two options:

1. "Check out these crusties, police should baton them back to their crusty camps."

Or,

2. "Hey, maybe they're on to something here. Perhaps I could change my consumption behavior somewhat and maybe encourage policy makers to do more."

Perhaps these wasters could go home and try to do what they're waving their placards about.
    And as one observer suggested perhaps even do something which could make a difference and embark with all the strength and enthusiasm of ... youth on an “energy diet”. A big, fat, relentless and endless energy diet. Not only on Fridays, but every single day of the week, 365 days per year, for the rest of (their) life."

That some are seriously suggesting that anyone who doesn't agree with with this bunch of eejits - are either anti crusty (sic) or not aware of environmental issues / doing anything - is pure unadulterated bullcrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Why don't they do something constructive like get 10,000 people on the coastlines some weekend to clear up all the plastic and rubbish?

Surely you dont mean do some work?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There were some great signs there

https://imgur.com/a/HQ6u5NQ

And to my post above the volcanoes didn’t just appear overnight they have been there for millions of years as far as we can tell and haven’t caused a problem despite what you may believe the vast majority of scientists say that human induced climate change is real.

The ice age wiped out dinosaurs, where did the ice go, did humans melt that too?

“I don’t think people should look at volcanoes underneath west Antarctica as a serious concern for causing instability,” he said.”

“If you have got thinning ice cover over a volcanic region there is every reason to suggest it will increase the volcanism,” he said.

As the pressure exerted on the mantle by the glacier decreases and allows more heat to escape, this could cause a feedback loop in which the melt rate continues to increase.”

This sounds like garbage, surely as the iceberg is in the ocean the weight of it will be distributed across the ocean rather than just directly underneath the iceberg.

Even if this is right could an iceberg really prevent magma escaping through a crack in the earths crust?

Its pure bollox to get more tax out of people. Get people recycling at no charge and in to a habit of rinsing items before recycling then introduce charges for recycling and water. CO2, rather than levy the electricty providers for not using wind / water they want to tax people who have no control over it.

The fact glyphosate isnt banned, a carcinogen that is killing people and pollinators.

The sugar tax has lead to a lot of companies going "sugar free" which is code for using aspartamine, another carcinogen.

Technology, people are constantly on their phones, there is less and less apathy for fellow humans as the years go by which will lead to more murders.

Plastics are destroying the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Why don't they do something constructive like get 10,000 people on the coastlines some weekend to clear up all the plastic and rubbish?

Do you think they only protest and that’s it?

They were out this morning, cleaning the coast and public amenity at Dollymount.

Meanwhile you’re probaly still at home, moaning about people who care about trying to make their city, country, world a better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Effects wrote: »
    Do you think they only protest and that’s it?

They were out this morning, cleaning the coast and public amenity at Dollymount.

Meanwhile you’re probaly still at home, moaning about people who care about trying to make their city, country, world a better place.

And where were you this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Kirby wrote: »

I agree with them.

Of course it doesnt help immediately.

But you have to make yourself a nuisance to shake people out of their apathy. Of course some or even most will just be annoyed. But at least they will be forced to think about it.

People who say they disrupt working people during their commute, it achieves nothing, just want a license to complete ignore it altogether. A protest that sidelines itself to a degree where nobody notices isn't much of a protest is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Shemale wrote: »
    This sounds like garbage, surely as the iceberg is in the ocean the weight of it will be distributed across the ocean rather than just directly underneath the iceberg.

Even if this is right could an iceberg really prevent magma escaping through a crack in the earths crust?

The glaciers melting are taking pressure off the mantel and its allowing magma to enter the chambers under the volcano. When the volcano erupts it'll melt the water which will flow into the lava and create a massive explosion and pump volcanic ash miles into the atmosphere. The volcano that caused the disruption in 2010 has a much bigger neighbour which is overdue an eruption, the glacier on top of this volcano is the size of Chicago. When that erupts we might need man made global warming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shemale wrote: »
    Technology, people are constantly on their phones, there is less and less apathy for fellow humans as the years go by which will lead to more murders.

You meant empathy, agree with most of your post but this is bollocks.
    This is simply a rose tinted view of the past, you know, the same past that had two major wars...or global unpleasantness if you will. We are in a far less violent society now statistically, in the West at any rate, any violence that does happen is likely to be reported widely which was not always the case in the past.

Advertisement