Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rebuilding Ireland home loan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Len_007

Hudur wrote: »
    And Declined... got letter this morning. GG Wicklow, took about two months.

Seems that only approved saving are if you put them to 0% interest saving account every month. I was putting 10% of my gross salary for years to company stock saving scheme, sold them end of last year and money is now on my savings account, but that is not "regular savings".

That is harsh, am sorry for you, must seem like a kick to the teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hudur

Now I got email from them that I can get lower amount if apply for 29 years and not 25 years like I did. I take that. That would be just enough I think.

This morning is strange :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

How long they take to process applications. Mine is in about 6 months at this stage.(KCC) In that time the property prices have increased fairly sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

JDigweed wrote: »
    How long they take to process applications. Mine is in about 6 months at this stage.(KCC) In that time the property prices have increased fairly sharp

This is my fear i will be applying near the end of the year but dont want to much of a delay but cant drawdown until January as im on probation

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kbman

JDigweed wrote: »

Have you tried following up with them?
    The more you ring/email them, they'll remember your name. That seems excessively long, do you know at what stage it's at? I think ours took 4-5 months to get a response on the first application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

kbman wrote: »
    Have you tried following up with them?
    The more you ring/email them, they'll remember your name. That seems excessively long, do you know at what stage it's at? I think ours took 4-5 months to get a response on the first application.

I sure am. At one stage they didn't even have the funding to offer loans. It's mad, a bank will let you know yay or nay within a fortnight. I'm not suggesting that they be as efficient as a bank but if funding has been restored 6 months is really unacceptable especially when the housing market is so volatile

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kotac24

Has anyone tried to talk to council about deferred payment for the first month or two, would they allow it? it would be ideal, with all this money gone to the solicitors, stamp duties etc... and will have to pay both rent and mortgage for the inital month... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

kotac24 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to talk to council about deferred payment for the first month or two, would they allow it? it would be ideal, with all this money gone to the solicitors, stamp duties etc... and will have to pay both rent and mortgage for the inital month... :/

Sure ask, what have you got to lose! AFAIK you are on the hook for interest etc as soon as the moeny is sent to your solicitor so why not try engineer it for as long as possible before doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hudur

This just shows how strange is the system. Exactly same application left on two councils on same week in November. Got response from both on same morning and one approves and one declines.

Good for people who live close to county border so can try two counties, but if you happen to live middle of one the "bad" ones, you are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Quick but possibly silly question. I live in Dublin 20 (chapelizod-palmerstown area) but the property I want to buy is in Kildare.

Do I make the application to Kildare CC or Dublin Council for the RBI loan?

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

Kildare. Where you live is irrelevant, you apply for the loan in the local authority area that you want to buy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Monitor1985

Does anyone know how they treat applicants that are homeless?

Ones who haven't been saving for a full year, but saved the 3% continuously over the course of 3 months and getting gifted the 7%?

We can't afford rent as only one income and our income is just over the limit to be on the housing list.

There is a house that is in our area of choice right now and by my calculations with the information I got here including MPI we'd be paying about €633 a month.

When we were availing of hap we had to pay €640 for rent a month and hap contributed €10.

Rent since then has gone up an extra €210 to €310 in our area.

So RIHL seems like a no brainer to get us out of the situation we're in.

We have capacity to pay for what we're looking for, just wondering do they take situations like this into consideration?

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    If you cant even afford rent forget about buying a house

Could you elaborate please?

We can't afford €850 rent, but if it was €650,no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deedee26

Does anyone know how they treat applicants that are homeless?

Ones who haven't been saving for a full year, but saved the 3% continuously over the course of 3 months and getting gifted the 7%?

We can't afford rent as only one income and our income is just over the limit to be on the housing list.

There is a house that is in our area of choice right now and by my calculations with the information I got here including MPI we'd be paying about €633 a month.

When we were availing of hap we had to pay €640 for rent a month and hap contributed €10.

Rent since then has gone up an extra €210 to €310 in our area.

So RIHL seems like a no brainer to get us out of the situation we're in.

We have capacity to pay for what we're looking for, just wondering do they take situations like this into consideration?

Different councils have different rules. You would need to contact them directly.

Your obviously not looking for a big mortgage, by your calculations of monthly repayments.

deedee26 wrote: »
    Different councils have different rules. You would need to contact them directly.

Your obviously not looking for a big mortgage, by your calculations of monthly repayments.

House is there for 150,000,so I based calculations on getting 135,000 from the council,€570 for the loan and €63 for MPI.

I'll give them a bell and ask,but was just curious did anyone hear or come across someone else in a similar situation.

House is there for 150,000,so I based calculations on getting 135,000 from the council,€570 for the loan and €63 for MPI.

I'll give them a bell and ask,but was just curious did anyone hear or come across someone else in a similar situation.

Best thing to do is read the RIHL website from top to bottom , see what the eligibility criteria is and see what you have to do. 12 months savings, clean credit history, 10% deposit, 2x refusals from bank etc.

It doesnt matter if you are homeless or living with parents or even on the social housing list. Once you meet their criteria you will be underwritten like everyone else.
    Also factor in legal fees, you will need a solicitor to do the conveyance , you will need a valuer to produce a report for the council.

Main thing is to lift the phone and try talk to the council to whom you are applying. Last thing you want to do is put an offer on a house and for your to stumble on something simple that was clearly stated.

BKWDR wrote: »
    Best thing to do is read the RIHL website from top to bottom , see what the eligibility criteria is and see what you have to do. 12 months savings, clean credit history, 10% deposit, 2x refusals from bank etc.

It doesnt matter if you are homeless or living with parents or even on the social housing list. Once you meet their criteria you will be underwritten like everyone else.
    Also factor in legal fees, you will need a solicitor to do the conveyance , you will need a valuer to produce a report for the council.

Main thing is to lift the phone and try talk to the council to whom you are applying. Last thing you want to do is put an offer on a house and for your to stumble on something simple that was clearly stated.

I actually have nearly everything that's required, just waiting on the HPL1 Form to come back, have refusal letters, have the 10%, gift letter, P21's, I even hap hap statements for when we were renting, legal fees we were hoping to ba let save up while everything is being processed, even checked our credit with ICB, which is squeaky clean, only thing that's standing in our way would be the amount of time saving.

I've read this forum nearly completely, I'm on page 146 at the moment, so getting a lot of information, just haven't read about anyone in our predicament.

I suppose only thing to do is inquire, apply and hope for the best I suppose.

Thank you for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Salanky

I actually have nearly everything that's required, just waiting on the HPL1 Form to come back, have refusal letters, have the 10%, gift letter, P21's, I even hap hap statements for when we were renting, legal fees we were hoping to ba let save up while everything is being processed, even checked our credit with ICB, which is squeaky clean, only thing that's standing in our way would be the amount of time saving.

I've read this forum nearly completely, I'm on page 146 at the moment, so getting a lot of information, just haven't read about anyone in our predicament.

I suppose only thing to do is inquire, apply and hope for the best I suppose.

Thank you for the reply.

I applied after a year of saving but got declined because I didnt display the capacity to repay. Basically they want you to save enough each month to cover the mortgage repayments with still being able to live. I then upped the savings and reapplied after 6 months and they eventually approved me when the applications reopened. Mine was with Louth but its worth ringing the individual council you want to apply to cause they all seem to have their own rules on qhat they will and won't accept regardless of what the website(or ministers say)

Salanky wrote: »
    I applied after a year of saving but got declined because I didnt display the capacity to repay. Basically they want you to save enough each month to cover the mortgage repayments with still being able to live. I then upped the savings and reapplied after 6 months and they eventually approved me when the applications reopened. Mine was with Louth but its worth ringing the individual council you want to apply to cause they all seem to have their own rules on qhat they will and won't accept regardless of what the website(or ministers say)

We definitely have capacity for what we're looking for, we're putting in as much as we can, the same amount each month and more than what our repayments would be, I suppose even if we apply and get refused by then it will be an extra couple of months more saving to show capacity for the next time applying.

Thanks for the information and congratulations on getting approved!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Salanky

We definitely have capacity for what we're looking for, we're putting in as much as we can, the same amount each month and more than what our repayments would be, I suppose even if we apply and get refused by then it will be an extra couple of months more saving to show capacity for the next time applying.

Thanks for the information and congratulations on getting approved!

They let you know why they have refused and tell you how to fix it if they do. Its a pain with all the paperwork but hopefully it will be worth it. I've another few months left on my approval but with the changes to the interest rates if I don't find anything soon I'll have to wait and save another few years before trying again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

I'm doing my application at the moment while I wait for bank statements to arrive and I've just come across the section asking "Have you ever had a loan or made a previous application to any other lending agency?" I was just about to put an X in the "No" box but said I might double check here. I might be paranoid but is this a trick question? I have never had a loan, and the evidence of insufficient offer I'm planning to use is online calculators. Technically this is not an application, but are they expecting all applicants to say "Yes" as in they have applied to banks for a mortgage?

Again, probably just me being paranoid but better to know now than to have to fill all the paperwork out again if I do this wrong.

Jafin wrote: »
    I'm doing my application at the moment while I wait for bank statements to arrive and I've just come across the section asking "Have you ever had a loan or made a previous application to any other lending agency?" I was just about to put an X in the "No" box but said I might double check here. I might be paranoid but is this a trick question? I have never had a loan, and the evidence of insufficient offer I'm planning to use is online calculators. Technically this is not an application, but are they expecting all applicants to say "Yes" as in they have applied to banks for a mortgage?

Again, probably just me being paranoid but better to know now than to have to fill all the paperwork out again if I do this wrong.

They are asking if you've taken a loan anywhere and to declare it. Car loan, credit union etc.

They will run a credit check either on ICB or CCR so you're best to just list any loans you have taken out. I don't think anyone's trying to trick anyone. Just asking have you taken credit off anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 stresshead101

Would anyone have experience with being refused Mortgage Protection Insurance with RIHL?

Myself and my partner applied, he was eligible but I was not (received no feedback as to why), and we were told we were both ineligible and to find cover elsewhere. Fine. Applied through a broker, same details and found full cover with another provider for us both. Grand. You would think.
    Now DCC are saying that, as he is eligible he must pay the full MPI quote (€130) and I will have to pay insurance elsewhere as a single applicant (€40ish). I would have assumed because we are joint applicants, we were assessed jointly and we were both rejected (as the letter said).
    In total, it is looking that it will cost us €170 for MPI, when we have a policy in place for €96. Doesn't seem fair, or legal?

Would anyone have experience with being refused Mortgage Protection Insurance with RIHL?

Myself and my partner applied, he was eligible but I was not (received no feedback as to why), and we were told we were both ineligible and to find cover elsewhere. Fine. Applied through a broker, same details and found full cover with another provider for us both. Grand. You would think.
    Now DCC are saying that, as he is eligible he must pay the full MPI quote (€130) and I will have to pay insurance elsewhere as a single applicant (€40ish). I would have assumed because we are joint applicants, we were assessed jointly and we were both rejected (as the letter said).
    In total, it is looking that it will cost us €170 for MPI, when we have a policy in place for €96. Doesn't seem fair, or legal?

As a joint couple if one of you are eligible for the councils scheme that means you will need to take their scheme, terms of the scheme.
    Did you do a tele interview with the insurers? They would have given you or definitely the council feedback on why you were refused, has to have been something you disclosed to them.
    Not that it's fair or unfair but it's part of the scheme, it's in the credit policy that you must be eligible for the council scheme and if not you can't take the loan,seems that they have met you half way to allow you source cover yourself.

Ring them and ask about the refusal and see what it was for but ultimately it was because you disclosed a condition or illness to them or the insurers.
    You are still getting a rate that is the best, fixed for the life of the loan and you couldn't get a loan via the banks so the jar is still half full I guess...

So the council are seeking clarification as there was a letter sent to say that we were both ineligible, but himself didn't have a phone interview or tick any of the 'wrong' boxes. I've already drafted an email looking for more information that I'm going to send once I hear back.
    I think my issue is that I've received multiple acceptances through the broker for the same information I provided to the council and theres been no problems with that. €170 a month is a very significant amount when this is supposed to be "affordable".

BKWDR wrote: »
    As a joint couple if one of you are eligible for the councils scheme that means you will need to take their scheme, terms of the scheme.
    Did you do a tele interview with the insurers? They would have given you or definitely the council feedback on why you were refused, has to have been something you disclosed to them.
    Not that it's fair or unfair but it's part of the scheme, it's in the credit policy that you must be eligible for the council scheme and if not you can't take the loan,seems that they have met you half way to allow you source cover yourself.

Ring them and ask about the refusal and see what it was for but ultimately it was because you disclosed a condition or illness to them or the insurers.
    You are still getting a rate that is the best, fixed for the life of the loan and you couldn't get a loan via the banks so the jar is still half full I guess...

On a side note, as you seem so knowledgable on the subject, you can add an insured person after the policy is drawn down. So could I reapply to be on the policy further down the line?
    For example, the questions asked "within 24 months", so would not be relevant by January 2021.

On a side note, as you seem so knowledgable on the subject, you can add an insured person after the policy is drawn down. So could I reapply to be on the policy further down the line?
    For example, the questions asked "within 24 months", so would not be relevant by January 2021.

The questions are more based upon your history and not your perceived future. I couldn't tell you if anyone can be added down the line, it is something you should maybe ask the Council, my gut says no unless you are formally adding someone to your loan account (married etc) . But also, you could ring the insurers directly if you weren't getting joy off the Council.

I know it doesn't seem like it but you could also be on the new rate and forced to pay a couple hundred euro in the blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Amary

I emailed utmost and asked and they told me why I was refused. That’s very expensive but you are lucky to be able to get your own. Louth County Council wont accept the MPI I got, they said it is a legal requirement that I have the Local Authority MPI and as I was refused they can’t proceed any further with my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dazedboy

Hello Everybody.
    I am new to this thread and Boards.ie so apologies in advance if my question about the RIHL is not posted correctly.

I appear to qualify for a RIHL, being on a modest income of €35K. A single applicant. Employed for 9 years with the same employer. Good credit rating, etc.
    My question is about the two written refusals for mortgage financing. How do you get these?
    When I apply online I am directed to a mortgage calculator for the proposed property purchase ... and then refused.
    When I request a telephone call I am then refused when I detail how small my income is.
    None of these approches provides a formal written refusal.
    How should I re-approcah this?

I hope this question is not too naive, but I am not experienced about mortgages. All I know is that renting forever in Ireland will lead to homelessness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Donal27

Hi all, only looking into this scheme now. I'm afraid I may have missed the boat. I would be applying as a single applicant. However I received an increment in work in August 2019 which brings my gross income to 50,122 euro so marginally over the limit. I'm just wondering as it states your gross income last year, my gross in 2019 would still be under 50000, so with my p60 for last year under 50k, would I still qualify even though my last few payslips would show that my current gross is 50122. Sorry for confusion. Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement