Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

salmocab wrote: »
    Would you have a link to some good canon books I read one Star Wars book years ago and it was pants, wouldn’t mind a read of something good.

You can't go wrong starting with the books that started it all Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Yeah his original trilogy is excellent with some awful stuff in it too (Luuuke.) the new Thrawn trilogy he’s written is only one book old and not as good so far. But it’s only the first one. Second part is out soon.

so... it turns out... There may or may not be an announcement soon regarding Gareth Edwards and future Star Wars films.

Waiting on more info.

There may or may not be an announcement about Martin Scorsese directing a future Star Wars Trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There may or may not be an announcement soon that I'm directing a Star Wars movie. I interview well it seems... ;)

Though I got the impression Gareth Edwards outlived his welcome after Rogue One & all the (re)shoots, would be surprised to see him back.

Yeah I can’t see it either. Rogue one was all but taken off him. Seems he was being a bit of a smart arse about it. Maybe not though. They went back to JJ after all.

‘An extremely reliable source telling me he spoke to Gareth yesterday and when the guy said to him "You should make more Star Wars films, I love your work," Gareth replied, "I'm working on it. Announcement soon."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

He's obviously still on good terms considering he was an extra in The Last Jedi. I personally would like to see another Edwards Star Wars movie as Rogue One is superb.

So Rebels latest episodes last night just brought a form of
    Time travel
    into the Star Wars Universe.

So I wonder will we see that affect the future films.

So Rebels latest episodes last night just brought a form of
    Time travel
    into the Star Wars Universe.

So I wonder will we see that affect the future films.

Just to add to that. These two Rebels episodes are exactly why you should watch this show and Clone Wars and have faith in the story group and LFL.
    Four years in the making and such brilliant and immersive storytelling and enhancements of the Star Wars saga and such a massive payoff. Tying all the force elements from the films together and enriching it in whole new ways.
    You hear Yoda obi wan Vader Rey kylo jyn all in that one episode

No spoiler synopsis we learn that there is no limit to the force and no ceiling as perceived by Luke or Yoda being ‘Masters’. They know only the tiniest fraction

Coulson, it’s not time travel. At all. The force is above and beyond and outside those constraints is all. Filoni and the show creators explaining that much. And it’s the only temple that had that portal. And it gets destroyed. Game over for that.

• Advertisement

There was a reason I used spoilers well done for spoiling that spoiler on something not everyone may have seen since it hasn’t aired here.

There was a reason I used spoilers well done for spoiling.

I’ll give you one euro for every single person here who will actually watch what we’re talking about. Or cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

That's €1 already. I haven't seen those episodes, yet. Doesn't bother me with something like Rebels, though. If it was a movie or Game of Thrones... That's a different story altogether.

david75 wrote: »
    I’ll give you one euro for every single person here who will actually watch what we’re talking about. Or cares.

A complete lack of respect you are showing for other fans who might.

Bad form.

So im done engaging with someone who has that little respect for other fans.

A complete lack of respect you are showing for other fans who might.

Bad form.

So im done engaging with someone who has that little respect for other fans.

Amended for you. That was wrong. As was your initial post about
    time travel
    totally misleading post either misunderstanding the episode despite it being explained in the episode and without or created to cause further totally baseless endless complaining.

Disney’s life action film release schedule. Have to figure some Star Wars are in here. More details on that same account.

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/969330463167856640

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I don't know how I feel about this. Favreau's writing is pretty limited, that is, he hasn't really written anything throughout his career, instead favouring directing. When it comes to directing he is most well known for Iron Man, but more recently remakes of Disney classics in live-action form. This sounds like a nepotistic appointment rather than one based on clear talent and skill. He has done well for Disney in recent years, but there is nothing in his writing credentials to warrant such an appointment.

Unless of course he is simply remaking something into live action where the source material is already written and he is merely adapting it. Star Wars Rebels in live action, perhaps?

Unless all the writing and the material is coming directly from the storygroup?

Without knowing what the series is about / where/when it’s set we don’t know.

I’m really into his work and think this is a good hire by them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Favreau's a steady ship: he's a completely unremarkable yet enthusiastic professional, and I'm guessing in taking the very first dip into the world of a live action Star Wars TV show, you want a certain level of predictability. Especially a TV production too, where the timelines are much tighter, schedules more compressed etc.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Favreau's a steady ship: he's a completely unremarkable yet enthusiastic professional, and I'm guessing in taking the very first dip into the world of a live action Star Wars TV show, you want a certain level of predictability. Especially a TV production too, where the timelines are much tighter, schedules more compressed etc.

In short, he is 'safe'. If the man steering the ship is a safe bet lets hope then that the material, writing, period, and characters have room to be ambitious. I still think this could be a remake of something we have already seen; something set in between the trilogies or a remake of an existing series like Rebels.

I hope not, but then again, it is Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Falthyron wrote: »
    I don't know how I feel about this.

Yeh, me too.

In saying that, I enjoyed 'Elf' and 'Iron Man' is one of the few Marvel superhero films that I would consider good.

so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In short, he is 'safe'. If the man steering the ship is a safe bet lets hope then that the material, writing, period, and characters have room to be ambitious. I still think this could be a remake of something we have already seen; something set in between the trilogies or a remake of an existing series like Rebels.

I hope not, but then again, it is Disney.

I think this is one instance where Disney can be forgiven for ploughing a 'safe' furrow though; this is literally the first Star Wars live-action show ever produced. Ever! That's kinda crazy when you think about (nobody dare mention the Holiday Special).

IMO it's fair to discount the various cartoons, given the expected demographics and the generally low bar for TV animation, so it's a huge first for the franchise - I could appreciate anyone not wanting to take too bold a risk on something that's going to attract a LOT of attention. Why would you: there are more than enough risks as it stands. They're hardly going to run out and hire Noah Hawley!

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, me too.

In saying that, I enjoyed 'Elf' and 'Iron Man' is one of the few Marvel superhero films that I would consider good.

so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chef was really good too. I think he wrote that?

So he wrote Swingers, couples retreat and chef.

I haven’t seen couples retreat but the other two are really good.

He has a pretty solid C.V. looking at it on IMDb

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think this is one instance where Disney can be forgiven for ploughing a 'safe' furrow though;

He's still a sort of odd choice though.

So he wrote Swingers, couples retreat and chef.

I haven’t seen couples retreat but the other two are really good.

He has a pretty solid C.V. looking at it on IMDb

In terms of directing and producing, not writing.

Chef was well received, but Couples Retreat was a disaster (Metacritic rating of 23!). Swingers was written 22 years ago... He is a safe director and producer, from what we can see on IMDB, but his writing skills are sketchy, infrequent, and very hit and miss despite writing only seven scripts/screenplays.

Star Wars needs good writing so I do hope he has a solid team around him or he is merely adapting something else, i.e. what he has been doing for the last number of years with the likes of the Jungle Book, Lion King, etc.

A solid director and producer who knows how to use the budget he gets for big movies well and has worked with and made a lot of money for Disney.

A good choice for the first live action Star Wars series for me.

Star Wars needs good writing

Absolutely and after the disasterous scribbling that passed for scripts so far with the sequel trilogy, it's in even more need of a good scribe. Even the writing of 'Rogue One' was fairly pedestrian (given it's central topic), even if I consider it one of the best Star Wars films.

• Advertisement

Don’t forget Simon Kinberg and Dave Filoni are still involved in all this including Kinberg who is currently writing a TBA Star Wars film.
    Both these guys have done immense work with Rebels and Clone Wars so it’s likely they’ll be among the people writing for this.

Advertisement