Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart Intruder Alarms

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

lardarse wrote: »
    for the bell box maybe try the below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL2693lyWxI&ab_channel=PoseidwnTech

I`ll be installing the ajax bell box in the next few weeks, and was planning on using an old 12v DC 1amp phone charger that i`ll extend with bell wire. then you don`t need an extra battery.

Would something like this work?

EFISH 12V 1A 12W Power Supply,AC to DC Adapter with 7 Selectable Adapter Conversion Heads fit for Led Strips,CCTV Camera,Cisco Router,Router,Alarm bell,Case Fan,CE Approved(White) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TSJ2DCJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_4TyVFbS1SE4E5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Best alarm system webshop.eu are doing good discounts on the Ajax alarm system for anyone looking

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

lardarse wrote: »
    for the bell box maybe try the below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL2693lyWxI&ab_channel=PoseidwnTech

I`ll be installing the ajax bell box in the next few weeks, and was planning on using an old 12v DC 1amp phone charger that i`ll extend with bell wire. then you don`t need an extra battery.

Normally external bell boxes have an internal battery so that in the event of failure of the external supply it can continue to function. Obviously the hone charger will power off in the event of a power cut. This may not be an issue for you, but it is good to be aware of it.

On anther note: I would not expect a normal phone charger to be 12V or to be able to supply 1 amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

2011 wrote: »
    Normally external bell boxes have an internal battery so that in the event of failure of the external supply it can continue to function. Obviously the hone charger will power off in the event of a power cut. This may not be an issue for you, but it is good to be aware of it.

On anther note: I would not expect a normal phone charger to be 12V or to be able to supply 1 amp.
    Would something like this work?

EFISH 12V 1A 12W Power Supply,AC to DC Adapter with 7 Selectable Adapter Conversion Heads fit for Led Strips,CCTV Camera,Cisco Router,Router,Alarm bell,Case Fan,CE Approved(White) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TSJ2DCJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_4TyVFbS1SE4E5

Would this one not work?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Would this one not work?

Yes.
    This would work when there is no power cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭caddy16

Ring alarm starter kit on sale in Screwfix now €190 for anyone interested. Keypad looks different to amazon version, may be not the newer model released earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Anyone ever have problems with their Ajax DoorProtect Plus?
    I have two, one of them is stuck at always open, and the other one is always reporting closed...
    They did work originally. Not ideal situation obviously.

I have several normal DoorProtects and they are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

mcgovern wrote: »
    Anyone ever have problems with their Ajax DoorProtect Plus?
    I have two, one of them is stuck at always open, and the other one is always reporting closed...
    They did work originally. Not ideal situation obviously.

I have several normal DoorProtects and they are fine.

No issue with mine so far. Have you done a reset from the app and changed the battery?

garion wrote: »
    No issue with mine so far. Have you done a reset from the app and changed the battery?

I did unpair and re-pair them but it didn't help.
    Battery is being reported as 100% which is I guess a bit suspicous but if I open the lid for example it sends an alert so certainly not completely dead.
    I don't have spare batteries so I just now tried taking the battery out of a spare DoorProtect (interestingly Panasonic where the DP+ was Ajax branded) and using that but issue is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

what is the advantage of wireless over wired (if the house is already prewired for sensors)?
    would the alarm work when internet is down?

i currently have xiaomi door sensors and gateway connected to home assistant.
    was looking into ajax or hkc systems. would they integrate easily with home assistant?
    i had spc in the previous house which required additional paid gateway to integrate into home assistant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

what is the advantage of wireless over wired (if the house is already prewired for sensors)?
    would the alarm work when internet is down?

i currently have xiaomi door sensors and gateway connected to home assistant.
    was looking into ajax or hkc systems. would they integrate easily with home assistant?
    i had spc in the previous house which required additional paid gateway to integrate into home assistant.

Ajax has hardwired, GSM and WiFi connections... So they can have a secondary communication method in case you have a virgin router. But the actual devices run on their own mesh.

Hard wired systems also require a method of communication in particular if it is a monitored system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks, yes, hard wired too require something to communicate to outside world - internet or gsm.
    does ajax talks well with home assistant?
    i may look into it - looks like its a good solution.
    need to find an installer in dublin :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

Looks like Best Alarm System have a decent sale (~15%) on Ajax products. Seem to be the best value out there at the moment and there's free delivery too.

I ordered an external siren and a few sensors at 5pm last night and got a shipping notice at 6.30pm!

Have used them before and never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fergalmurphy

Hi Folks,

Came across this very interesting thread while researching for a new home alarm.
    Recently just bought a new home and looking for an alarm system, I was going to go with a wired system as the house is wired but on closer inspection some of the cables have been cut and now to short to attached to sensors etc (some cables then no issue)... had an installer out to look and they were talking about a hybrid HKC system of wired/wireless, I'm not so keen on that I would prefer either fully wired or wireless tbh, but interested to hear peoples opinion on that who probably have more knowledge then myself.

Anyhow I came across Ajax alarms online and my head has been turned by them, really good product, reviews etc... Some folks here have installed Ajax for 12 months now and curious, 12 months later are you still happy, would you recommend? any major issues or gotchas to be aware of? I know Home Secure install Ajax and for the 9 sensors I am looking at, mix of DoorProtectPlus & MotionProtect, keypad, hub, siren etc would cost me roughly 1400 over 3 years... Anyone had experience with Home Secure, they say at the end of the 3 years the equipment is yours and you can walk away, they will supply all the codes you require etc so you can go self monitoring... is that really the case or just marketing fluff?

I know if I go self install I can get better value alright, save myself maybe 300.. but only self monitoring then, maintenance etc on myself which I'm OK with.. I talked to my home insurer who said that although they don't check to ensure the alarm was professionally installed by someone licensed if there was a break in and found the alarm wasn't installed professionally then you may have issues with the claim, anyone again experience of this?

Do people who use Ajax just use the wifi or would you also back up over GSM? Too be fair my broadband is pretty solid I cant remember the last time I had an outage longer than a hour so I think I would be happy to just go wifi but again curious? What providers did you use for the SIM?

I was looking online to see if I could find a data point on this, couldnt but was wondering does anyone have any idea what kind of bandwith Ajax require to function without issue, I'm assuming very little... reason for asking it I have alot of stuff connected to my wifi already, phones, laptops, ipads, kids constantly streaming Disney, smart speakers, smart lights, plugs, indoor cameras, doorbell... the new house I can only get max 30mb so curious with these all components all fighting for resources along with Ajax now could I have an issue, i dont so think but throwing it out there...

Appreciate any feedback.

I guess I am one of the few less satifised customers here.
    I found the PIRs (CombiProtect) to not have great range, struggled to find a position for them that would detect motion where I would expect to see it (and I don't have big rooms).
    Both my Door Protect Pluss have broke and I'm waiting for them to arrive back for RMA.
    The alerts struggle, sometimes we forget to turn off the alarm when returning home and then 5 minutes later the alarm goes off with a bunch of notifications.
    Most of these issues you probably don't have to worry about though if going with a managed install (I bought online and installed myself).
    I wouldn't expect any issues with Wifi, the connection from the Hub to the sensors uses there own radio network, not Wifi. Wifi just needed for alerting so that would be tiny, tiny amount.

I'm thinking I might go self install, I might have missed the boat however, Best Alarm System were doing a sale which looks to have ended, what was costing me 950 is now 1150... :(

Curious have you been in touch with Ajax Customer Support about your issues? Were they helpful/responsive?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm thinking I might go self install, I might have missed the boat however, Best Alarm System were doing a sale which looks to have ended, what was costing me 950 is now 1150... :(

Curious have you been in touch with Ajax Customer Support about your issues? Were they helpful/responsive?

Just ordered some kit from them and got the 20% off, unless its a furniture store type discount where they hike up the prices and then give a "discount" ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

They just said it was a warranty issue and return to where I purchased.
    That was Megateh.eu who have responded quickly to all my questions, but I'm waiting for them to arrive back to them in Estonia. Cost 7 euro to ship but I'm thinking now I should have the extra for tracking.

Supercell wrote: »
    Just ordered some kit from them and got the 20% off, unless its a furniture store type discount where they hike up the prices and then give a "discount" ?

Over the wkend each individual item was discounted, was easy to see in the shopping cart, today each item was full price with the discount applied on the Subtotal, works out the same so all good... Very tempted to pull the trigger. Looks like a great system..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Daveq

What SIM card are people using? I seen Vodafone mentioned earlier in the thread but I think I got on it too late and ended up on a new deal.

The T&C's say that a top up of €5 is only needed every 6months, which is grand but problem is that is just to keep the sim card active. They charge €1.99 a week for data, I got onto them and they said that's the best they have, I was hoping for a pay as you go per kb 😟

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Daveq wrote: »
    What SIM card are people using? I seen Vodafone mentioned earlier in the thread but I think I got on it too late and ended up on a new deal.

The T&C's say that a top up of €5 is only needed every 6months, which is grand but problem is that is just to keep the sim card active. They charge €1.99 a week for data, I got onto them and they said that's the best they have, I was hoping for a pay as you go per kb ��

Is data needed?, i thought it just needed 2G connectivity for SMS's and thats it (I have a Hub 2 in case that makes a difference).
    I just asked advice on a sim on the mobile forum as well.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Is data needed?, i thought it just needed 2G connectivity for SMS's and thats it (I have a Hub 2 in case that makes a difference).
    I just asked advice on a sim on the mobile forum as well.

Ah thank you, good thinking! I'll turn off data and try that, I'd get notifications anyway but I'd imagine you need data to arm/disarm if internet went down? Or can that be done via an SMS command? (I'm using a Hub2 +)

Daveq wrote: »
    Ah thank you, good thinking! I'll turn off data and try that, I'd get notifications anyway but I'd imagine you need data to arm/disarm if internet went down? Or can that be done via an SMS command? (I'm using a Hub2 +)

If you are physically there you could still arm/disarm provided it is just your Internet down but WiFi still up (i.e. your home network still running, even if it can't get outside).

Update on my RMA with Megateh. Posted over 3 weeks ago but they say it hasn't arrived yet. An Post don't answer enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

If you are physically there you could still arm/disarm provided it is just your Internet down but WiFi still up (i.e. your home network still running, even if it can't get outside).

Update on my RMA with Megateh. Posted over 3 weeks ago but they say it hasn't arrived yet. An Post don't answer enquiries.

Did your order arrive?

Does anybody have a discount code for Megateh? Need to order a few more bits

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Did your order arrive?

Does anybody have a discount code for Megateh? Need to order a few more bits

Yes, it took about 6 weeks to get there. Then Megateh sent it back to Ajax. I'm told Ajax sent it back to Megateh a week or so ago. So after 2.5 months it's still not on its way back to me.

Yes, it took about 6 weeks to get there. Then Megateh sent it back to Ajax. I'm told Ajax sent it back to Megateh a week or so ago. So after 2.5 months it's still not on its way back to me.

Just an update, they arrived back about 2 weeks ago, 2 brand new units. Megateh contacted me to see if I wanted to buy anything and they'd ship it with the returns for free. Whole process took 3 months but I think that was An Post and not Megateh. The ticket I opened with An Post was closed after a month saying they don't know what happened...Great service from them

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Have pretty much decided on an Ajax system thanks to his thread.

Just one question - our windows (uPVC) have quite a curved profile where I'd be fitting the sensor - has anyone installed with similar and if so any pictures available?

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Just an update, they arrived back about 2 weeks ago, 2 brand new units. Megateh contacted me to see if I wanted to buy anything and they'd ship it with the returns for free. Whole process took 3 months but I think that was An Post and not Megateh. The ticket I opened with An Post was closed after a month saying they don't know what happened...Great service from them

Cheers McGovern, I'm going through the same process as also had a faulty Doorprotect+ that was stuck in open. Only sent the faulty unit back via an post last month so I guess I've a bit of a wait. The other 20 units were fine though so I can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pappillon

Hi guys,

I am researching installing a smart home alarm system and smart thermostat and I've stubbled into this thread. It's great, thanks, and I am now thinking of going with an Ajax alarm.

At the moment I hotspot off my (unlimited data) vodafone mobile for all my home internet needs but I will obviously need a different solution for an alarm/thermostat.

As I am contracted (another 12 months) with my mobile plan I will continue with this for the majority of my data needs. This should mean all I need is a data package to cover the smart alarm / thermostat data needs and at the moment, if suitable and possible, I am swinging towards getting a vodafone data sim for the alarm/thermostat and a vodafone gsm sim for the alarm backup. My question is, do anyone of you have an idea how much data a typical Ajax system would consume per month?

To be a little more specific, the system I am planning is similiar(ish) in scale to the system that Garion installed with:
    Hub 2
    Keypad
    MotionCam
    Door Protect x2
    Door Protect Plus x 5
    Street Siren
    Fire Protect Plus

As a side note, the thermostat I am looking at is the Siemens RDS110.

Thanks again for all the info and help in the thread so far...

Regards,
    P

• Advertisement

zinzan wrote: »
    Have pretty much decided on an Ajax system thanks to his thread.

Just one question - our windows (uPVC) have quite a curved profile where I'd be fitting the sensor - has anyone installed with similar and if so any pictures available?

Thanks..

We have the same. The magnet has to go on the left side of the detector so I've gone with two different scenarios.

On a right hand side window the detector is on the frame. I've aligned the left side of the detector against the straight line so it's not at an angle, but the gap is too much for the small magnet so I've used the big one.
    On the a left or centre window I've the detector on the window opening and the magnet on the frame. If I put the small magnet on the curve it can pick it up. I find the small magnet on the curve doesn't look as out of place as the big one or detector on the curve. If all that makes sense??

Advertisement