Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Well I am back, I feel like a failure - pregnant 3 days (well 3 days late and then a positive pregnancy test) and then I loose it again...sorry. Will try the every day again technique though - it was a good body work out and if we get lucky this time it means that the baby would be born on my birthday which is something that I have always wanted.

In terms of trying - I would try after they comonly say you will be fertile - and keep up the folic acid. Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Awh Cathy, am so so sorry for you. A couple of days elation and then to have your hopes dashed... Am keeping you in prayer. It will happen...x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cmoh

Hi all, I'm new to this thread and boards in general. Have really enjoyed reading through it.

I came off the pill in January 2008 and didn't get a period until January 2009 - exactly a year later. During that time I had bloods taken to check hormone levels and they were fine except my thyroid, which is underactive but am on thyroxine for that and it's levelled off.

Since I did get my period back it was very irregular. It has started to become more regular in the last two months but I still don't think I'm ovulating. Myself and my husband would really love a baby. Just wondering if anyone has tips. When I first got my period back I bought ovuation kits but never showed anything and haven't used them since.

We'd love for it to happen naturally but think it might be wishful thinking. My GP is one of those who puts everything on the long finger. Because I'm under 30 (just turned 28) he tells me I'm stll young and not to worry until after I'm over 30. That just annoys me though because I always wanted kids young.

Any tips on intercourse positions or anything??

Any advice appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 meathwhiskey

hi everyone,

great tread. myself and my longterm partner are getting married at the end of the year. i have not been on any form of contraception for the last 3 years. i have never had a scare - as im thinking i'm pregnant. i've always been a 28 day cycle girl. but in the last 8 months my period is getting earlier and earlier. so much so it's now a 22 - 24 day cycle.
    i'm worried because me and my future hubby want to start having a family asap. we are in our early 30's.

does the 14 day count back still apply to me as some websites say or go on how my (hope it's not to graffic) mucus????

any advice would be great.

thanks girls

meathwhiskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 swoodruff

Hi all
    I've read all the threads and am starting to ttc for the first time. I've been feeling a bit intense about the whole thing and am going to do some meditation to balance all of that. I did it a couple of years ago for four months solid (i.e. 20 minutes a day for four months) and it was really life changing. It gives you a lovely sense of calm and clarity. I think it might be a lovely antidote to all the natural stress and impatience that goes with ttc. I did a 4 week beginner's course, PM me if you would like the details. There are also free audio downloads on the internet of relaxation techniques, the "Body Scan" (not meditation) is a full body relaxation thingy. Type body scan audio into google and it will bring a few up. I know the above has nothing strictly to do with ttc, but if there's even a small chance that it could help, then I think it's worth telling you about it.

On a more scientific note, can anyone recommend a male multi-vit for ttc?

Well done to you all in your journeys so far and I wish us all many happy healthy babies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

hi everyone,

great tread. myself and my longterm partner are getting married at the end of the year. i have not been on any form of contraception for the last 3 years. i have never had a scare - as im thinking i'm pregnant. i've always been a 28 day cycle girl. but in the last 8 months my period is getting earlier and earlier. so much so it's now a 22 - 24 day cycle.
    i'm worried because me and my future hubby want to start having a family asap. we are in our early 30's.

does the 14 day count back still apply to me as some websites say or go on how my (hope it's not to graffic) mucus????

any advice would be great.

thanks girls

meathwhiskey

14 day countback is pretty reliable IMO, I had all over the place periods but they're always 14 days after ovulation.

Found mucus a very good indicator too, and temperature monitoring (although it only tells you after you've ovulated).

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Hey, some great info here thanks to you all. I am looking for some advice, myself and my wife are ttc for the past 3 months, we are timing the 14 days into her cycle. Last month i messed up, cant count and i was a week off on the calender!! :o
    My question is though should we be trying every day or every second day in the run up to Ovulation. this month I was thinking we would do it every day for 5 days before ovulation, and every second day from the end of her period till then. Is this to much, can there be to much? if its not sore that is!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

murfie wrote: »
    Hey, some great info here thanks to you all. I am looking for some advice, myself and my wife are ttc for the past 3 months, we are timing the 14 days into her cycle. Last month i messed up, cant count and i was a week off on the calender!! :o
    My question is though should we be trying every day or every second day in the run up to Ovulation. this month I was thinking we would do it every day for 5 days before ovulation, and every second day from the end of her period till then. Is this to much, can there be to much? if its not sore that is!!:p

I'm no expert but it seems unnecessary to try every day after ovulation. In the run up to it yes it make total sense.

I am ttc-ing one month now. This month I plan to try every day :D sure why not!

Re the calender debacle, go to FertilityFriend.com, you won't make that mistake again! ;)

I'm no expert but it seems unnecessary to try every day after ovulation. In the run up to it yes it make total sense.

I am ttc-ing one month now. This month I plan to try every day :D sure why not!

Re the calender debacle, go to FertilityFriend.com, you won't make that mistake again! ;)
    Trying every day is more of a comfort thing than anything else - you are busy a lot and then there is suddenly a famine makes it seem like a job rather than fun...well that is my logic and I am sticking to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Starting the investigative process. Have to wait for next month as tests need to be between days 2 and 4 cause cycle irregular.
    Scared of all this bit. Going on holiday in September and when we get back we'll also put ourselves on the adoption lists.

• Advertisement

am going mad!

only started ttc two cycles ago so I may seem a bit impatient but anyway...

My cycle is very long (41 days/6 weeks) as opposed to the regular 27 days/4 weeks. Went on the pill about 8 years ago due to severe period pain, acne treatment and also for contraception. I knew when I came off in May to ttc that my cycle would probably return to 41 days, as whilst it was very long it was also very regular.
    So keyed all my data into my chart and based on the 41 day cycle I got an ovulation forecast date. So worked towards this but then I the got my period on day 40, meaning a 39 day cycle as opposed to a 41 day, thus I missed the ovulation day. that was fine. As a result of the 39 day cycle my chart re-evaluated my next ovulation date and again I worked around that (and a couple of days before and after). But woke up with severe period-like cramping this morning (doubt it could be implantation cramping). It went away quick enough but it was painful enough to let me know that my period is coming soon. If I get it tomorrow that means my cyle has dropped another four days! Why is this happening and how the hell am I meant to ttc if it keeps changing??!! (as you can tell I'm quite irritable - probably another sign of my period being due :()
    I'm probably jumping the gun in that I haven't even gotten my period yet but I can tell it's only a matter of time......
    It' typical though - the moment you start ttc your cycle decides to go mental!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cmoh

detectivfoxtrot, i'd say you'll need to give your period a few months at least to regulate again after being on the pill for eight years. i was on the pill for the same amount of time and when i came off it took a year to even get a period! so count yourself lucky there! good luck with everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

cmoh wrote: »
    detectivfoxtrot, i'd say you'll need to give your period a few months at least to regulate again after being on the pill for eight years. i was on the pill for the same amount of time and when i came off it took a year to even get a period! so count yourself lucky there! good luck with everything!

Yeah I had a similar experience with the pill. I came off the pill in november and didnt have a period for 6 months, was diagnosed with PCOS, and put back on the pill.

Last october I was away in america and with the time zones etc.. I got my pill's mixed up and was pregnant. but miscarried at 8 weeks. Now my periods have periods every 2 months or so. am ttc now, but am unsure if I have 2 month cycles, or if only one of my ovaries works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 prissylee

Detectivefoxtrot,

I agree with the previous posters - you need to allow your body to adjust after being on the pill for so long. I was on the pill for 6.5 years and came off it in Jan this year. It is only now that my cycle is beginning to return to normal. 1st cycle was 66 days, 2nd was 73 days, 3rd was 36 days. So i'm on my fourth cycle now and hoping it's around the 36 day mark too. So this is the first cycle I've been able to ttc properly as I started charting last month.

Good luck with it all, and fingers crossed that it will all even out for you soon. I know you don't want to hear it but you have to give your body a few months at least to adjust. I didn't think it'd take me this long, but I've learnt the hard way to be patient and try and relax....

I am away from here for a while i hope, 4 weeks 1 day gone...

I got my period during the night. Major cramping that kept me awake for over an hour eek.gif. Now I remember why I was on the pill for years.....

I'm not going to get down about it, though I don't think I ovulated at least my cycle appears regular (bang on 39 days again this month). Going to do OPK next month.

I am currently consoling myself with chocolate cake. lots of it. and I don't even care that the crumbs are falling into the keyboard of my lap top.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Hi all, new here and my wife and I are on the same journey.

I just have a quick question (I'm at work and can't be seen to spend too much time on boards!) but my wife is wondering if running has a negative affect on ttc.

She used to run 3-4 times a week - around 5.5kms but is now concerned that it may be affecting her negatively so has stopped.

If anyone has heard whether this may or may not be relevant, we'd love to hear.

Thanks.

Hi Scorn
    Too much exercise is bad, as you need to have a level of body fat to conceive, but I'm sure her doctor can give better advice than me.

I also have a question. We've had my hormone tests at days 3 and 21 and my hubbie had his sperm test, all have come back fine. Now we're being referred to the Coombe but I don't know what to ask for. Anbody any guidance??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Me & my girlfriend me 24 she 29 have been trying for a baby for the last year she got pregnant twice then after she is about 6 to 7 weeks loses it again its very fustrating for both of us :(, we had some tests done with our GP two weeks ago. Still waiting on results:rolleyes: (post here later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Paula_Maula

Quality wrote: »
    Has anyone here have experience with ovulation kits?

Or would like to recommend one?>

Hi Quality,
    I'm new to Boards and just going through the posts, slowly but surely.

I have been ttc for about 10 months now. The fertility doctor told me to ignore the Ovulation tests saying they are a load of crap and put undue pressure on people ttc. He told me to try to relax and just enjoy the fun in practicing and ttc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Chasing Cars

Well I posted the above just over a year ago. I went to my sisters that night were I was indeed told she was pregnant but was spotting - I felt sick with guilt that I was feeling jealous while she was going through this. As it turned out her pregnancy was fine and her baby boy was born four months ago as healthy as can be (apparently some women can have spotting right through there pregnancy and there is no danger)

A month later I was pregnant unfortunately lost the baby at 7 weeks. Three months later we tried again and had a chemical miscarriage - heartbroken.

Since then we (myself and DH) have been avoiding sex as I think we are both sick of failing. However as time has gone by I know I really want this and no matter what I am trying everything to get our baby.

I have lost just over one and a half stone, changed my diet etc

DH is taking the tablets that help you get off the cigs - Sunday is his last day - fingers crossed. (By the way does any one know if it is alright for a man to take those tablets whilst trying to concieve)

So now new motivated me will hopefully be posting some time before July to say that I am pregnant and give you all hope that this can be done and we all deserve a family

Sorry for long post

Well Just to give you an update that I hope helps you all stay positive. I posted that the day before my last period and am now due my first baby on the 20Dec 4 wks!!! This baby will be born 2yrs and 8 months after we started trying - its been a long pregnancy!!!

Hi guys,
    I just got my appointment with the consultant in the Coombe for May!!!! We've been trying 15 months, in May it will be two years, and I'll be 35 in June. Is this really the best I can get?
    On the plus side a friend of mine who was attending a Reike healer has gotten pregnant, she's also been trying for ages, so I've made an appointment with her for Monday.
    In the interim it's another Christmas with no chance to be Santa Claus :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mastax

Hi there Quality .. yes I've heard acupuncture is good. Maybe I"ll try that on my next cycle.

Actually my doctor arranged for me to go and have a hystero-salpingography (HSG) this morning - to declog your fallopian tubes (if necess). Anyway, did that (which is absolutely excruciating pain - but only for about 5 mins) and the doctor said that I did have some mucous blockage and it's all clear now! Maybe it was from the D&C I had in Jan?

Anyway, fingers crossed for next month as maybe my fallopian tubes are fee and ready for some action!!!

See ya.

What's the cost of HSG? Can I go to hospital or do I need visit my doctor first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 caz1301

Hi all
    TTC now for 5 mths and was diagnosed with pcos in July 09
    Got a lovely gynae in galway who doesnt really waste any time (compared to other docs that ive read about )....anyway on glucophage since august 09
    he forced a period in sept...none in oct ....natural period in nov and none since....ive been prescribed clomid but can only take it when i get a period ...grrrrrr
    Im starting to get so upset and worried ....we have a son already so im so so lucky
    He said i can start using the ovulation tests but omg so expensive
    how do they work exactly ...do you test everyday or ????
    Started low gi diet two days ago and taking evening primrose ...and am planning on trying acupuncture to bring on ovulation and periods ....
    everyone here is so helpful so THANK YOU xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 percy26

Hi all,
    hope you don't mind me dropping in. I've been ttc for 28 months. my cycles are all over the place my cycle could be anything from 20 days to 120 days. I've been prescribed provera to bring on my period and then clomid also. I just have a question, I finished taking my provera on saturday and my period still haven't come. I was wondering has anyone had any experience with provera and if you could help me.

Thank you for your responses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 lbrenn11

Hi, ttc for only a month now but I am really impatient now that we have decided to start trying. Just wondering what is the average length of time it takes to concieve. I am 27 years old and I would be very disappointed if I am not pregnant in the next few months.

Can anyone tell me the average time scale is?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tofueater

Hi Caz1301,

I just saw your post there. I practice as an acupuncturist and I just want to let you know that acupuncture can be very helpful for some women in regulating their cycle. At least once your cycle is back to normal you can use the ovulation kits more sparingly as you will have a good idea of when to start testing. I have some information about increasing your fertility on my website and will be posting a new page about diet and suppliments in the next week.www.corkacupunctureclinic.com

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kazgal

Hi all. im new too all of this so forgive me is I havent got all the ttc termonolgy figured out yet!!
    Just to let all you guys know that my partner and i tried for 2 years to concieve.He tested for a"very low sperm count" and we were told it would be very unlikly that we'd concieve naturally. We decided that we didnt want to go down the fertility treatment road so we came to terms that we'd probably never have our own baby.
    Anyway....5 years later we have two beautiful daughters..one aged 3 and the other is 14 weeks old now!! Both were concieved naturally!!
    Im posting this to let all you guys who are ttc...that there may be hope! Please dont give up and if you can see yourself holding a little baby in your arms...then it will happen. It may take a long time but it is so worth the wait!!
    Best of luck to you all!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all
    Im 24 yrs old and Ive got polycystic ovarian syndrome. Myself and my fiance have been tryin to have a baby going on 2 yrs now with no luck whatsoever. I went to my gp about it 3 days ago and he has put me on metformin. So far its been grand i havent had any side effects or anythin but tis early days yet as im only gradually working my way up to 3 a day!!
    Im just wondering is there anyone on here that has PCOS and tried metformin with successful results with regards to conceiving??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

Hi

I suffer from PCOS and my partner has a low sperm count,My doc said we wud prob need IVF, but at €4700 a go i don't think we can afford it! she has put me on glucophage and i'm on the second month of it now, Has anybody else had the same prob and conceived without IVF?or know of any other options we would have?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement