Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

They redeemed themselves with me with the recent rte1 investigates programme about the greyhound cruelty.

i doubt it. all that was public knollage and reported years ago.
    anyone that sat down and thought about it would see what goes on .
    the same thing happens with horse racing but nobody is documenting that

it wasnt like they reveled anything new. the prime time documentry on th ecare homes was better (or worse)
    I've been ringing Barry's piss tea for two years about their sponsorship of the so called sport of greyhound racing. Fobbed off constantly. The last sponsered cruelty race was 9pm on 22nd June 2019. The rte investigates programme was the only thing that made them stop. No sponsorship since. Need to start on rose of cruely to greyhounds tralee now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I've been ringing Barry's piss tea for two years about their sponsorship of the so called sport of greyhound racing. Fobbed off constantly. The last sponsered cruelty race was 9pm on 22nd June 2019. The rte investigates programme was the only thing that made them stop. No sponsorship since. Need to start on rose of cruely to greyhounds tralee now !

RTE did well with this programme to expose the carry on in these so-called 'sports'. This programme was far better than anything from The Frontline and showed a focus on investigating issues proved far more beneficial than a studio audience based chatshow where idiots pontificated and debated repetitive issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Barry's piss tea

Turn the moment gold...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

patmahe wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem RTE will have in the coming years is competition from on demand streaming services like Netflix/Amazon Prime, I know if I'm at home during the day flick through the normal channels once and if there is nothing of interest, I go straight to the streaming service and put something on, no watersheds or anything to worry about I can watch what I want when I want. How can RTE compete with that?

Even if they fully embrace the technology side of things and come up with their own streaming service or make themselves available through Netflix or similar I cannot see them having the content available to compete.

I believe RTE will dwindle and eventually become a news channel that very few people watch with lots of filler content and no original programming.

Charging people €160 a year for that is no longer viable in today's world (where all of Netflix is 9.99 per month and optional!), if RTE is not commercially viable then it should be wound down and only the bits that can pay their own way kept.

Oh I agree RTE is going to wind down-and it's happening rather rapidly too. I mean, the children's 'division' of RTE was the first thing to go...and that was only a few years ago.

The problem is-they don't realise media is evolving, and they're stagnant and devolving. The losses are down to them not keeping up.
    I think they are 'sort' of getting this-in that they are putting up older tv shows such as Falling for a Dancer, or Pure Mule, on the RTE Player. But even that is riddled with adverts you can't skip.
    Even TV3 is surpassing them, tho VM 2 and VM 3 are just useless-they've repeated Hells Kitchen Australia how many times now? That had one series, no more, and that was in 2017. Since then VM2 or VM3 keep repeating it over, and over. And over again. (I tried to watch one episode, I gave up-Marco Pierre White is TV narcolepsy).

Even Netflix is in trouble-shows and films are being taken off of the platform in order for companies to focus on their own, individual streaming service.
    And that's not only going to create problems for netflix, it will create problems for broadcasters like RTe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Oh I agree RTE is going to wind down-and it's happening rather rapidly too. I mean, the children's 'division' of RTE was the first thing to go...and that was only a few years ago.

The problem is-they don't realise media is evolving, and they're stagnant and devolving. The losses are down to them not keeping up.
    I think they are 'sort' of getting this-in that they are putting up older tv shows such as Falling for a Dancer, or Pure Mule, on the RTE Player. But even that is riddled with adverts you can't skip.
    Even TV3 is surpassing them, tho VM 2 and VM 3 are just useless-they've repeated Hells Kitchen Australia how many times now? That had one series, no more, and that was in 2017. Since then VM2 or VM3 keep repeating it over, and over. And over again. (I tried to watch one episode, I gave up-Marco Pierre White is TV narcolepsy).

Even Netflix is in trouble-shows and films are being taken off of the platform in order for companies to focus on their own, individual streaming service.
    And that's not only going to create problems for netflix, it will create problems for broadcasters like RTe.

Is Virgin Media surpassing them in terms of their player or the pay for ON Demand?

I think big studios want to get some money from residual rights outside of Netflix. TG4 took Orange is the new Black from Sony, and its also available on the Sony Channel.

Kind of think it is good that RTÉ are at least showing their Drama from the 2000s on the player, I think they only really aired them once since the original broadcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Streaming is about to get diluted to within an inch of it's life.

You'll probably have 6 main players, 6 subs. No advertising revenue.

I think you'll be looking at a rise again in piracy.

To negate the cost and loss of revenue, streaming original content will be sold to traditional media.

Probably a win for the likes of RTE to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Barry's piss tea

Turn the moment gold...
    Change to Lyons GOLD blend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Scotty # wrote: »

Simply not true. They have the attention of up to 400k listeners. It'll be along time before that's worthless to any advertiser! .

They don't have the attention of all that audience. Many of them have it on for background noise. Also, those 400k listeners are defined as only listening for 5 minutes of an hour, it's hardly that great for advertisers. Lastly, are the demographics of those listeners attractive to advertisers?

Boggles wrote: »
    I'd look at these as a different case study.

Ray was pretty well regarded and liked on Today Fm, moves to RTE and it's like he invented cancer given the anger towards him.

Pat, pretty much lampooned when he worked for RTE, now I see him referred to as the finest journalist Ireland has produced.

Conclusion, you get your salary somewhat paid by the public, the target on your back becomes far bigger.

Ray was originally good on today FM, but as he grew older and his various obsessions (poridge, running and his family?) started taking over his show, we all grew tired of him. He carried that over into rte.

Elmo wrote: »
    That's why I number them 1 and 2 :)

I didn't attack either presenters' work or personality.

Ray D'Arcy hasn't improved RTÉ Radio 1's audience in any massive way, and RTÉ ONE's Saturday night chat show has lost audience in comparison to The Saturday Night Show. With this in mind RTÉ rather than gaining anything actually lost, as TV advertising brings in more money that Radio Advertising.

Pat Kenny brought in some audience to Newstalk, but it didn't really cause much problems for Radio 1, his TV career since leaving TLLS has been on a downward spiral.

Perhaps I should have started with Ray D'Arcy is a good presenter but.... and Pat Kenny is our finest broadcaster but....

This all seems to point towards the presenter of the Late Late having no effect on the audience. No need for highly paid 'talent'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

TG4 took Orange is the new Black from Sony

Imagining that dubbed in Irish gave me a good chuckle.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Ray was originally good on today FM, but as he grew older and his various obsessions (poridge, running and his family?) started taking over his show, we all grew tired of him. He carried that over into rte.

And his bloody chat show...

Gets ONE good guest, with an interesting topic about a man who was possibly wrongly convicted of murder, twice.

And ....we get a 'my wife and her friends think you're GAWR-JUSS'... He had a chance to prove why RTE paid 500 grand for him with that one interview, and recoup much of the good graces lost after the 'Jack Nicholson impersonator' bullcrap....

Instead... he just further proved he was worthless.

There are rumours his show is in trouble... I'd genuinely believe it. Tommy Tiernan was on over the Summer. A far better interviewer, and able to get interesting interviews out of interesting people.
    D'Arcy, for example, would probably have just mocked Eddie Lenihan (One of Tiernan's guests) for 10+ minutes. Tommy let a Seanchai be a seanchai.

There are rumours his show is in trouble... I'd genuinely believe it. Tommy Tiernan was on over the Summer. A far better interviewer, and able to get interesting interviews out of interesting people.
    D'Arcy, for example, would probably have just mocked Eddie Lenihan (One of Tiernan's guests) for 10+ minutes. Tommy let a Seanchai be a seanchai.

Ah used to love Eddie's stories if its the same man. Tommy is slowly becoming a stereotypical misery story driven Irish chat show, does everything have to be a story of woe and sorrow on Irish Chat Shows?

Ah used to love Eddie's stories if its the same man. Tommy is slowly becoming a stereotypical misery story driven Irish chat show, does everything have to be a story of woe and sorrow on Irish Chat Shows?

Yep, same man. Entertaining and very eccentric. But highly intelligent.

It can depend on the guest, really. I know Tiernan can at least have a laugh mind. Ryan...god you'd be lucky to find a laugh on an episode of the Late Late.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Change to Lyons GOLD blend.

Lyons GREEN label lad...seriously good brew ! A MUST for us early risers !

Lyons GREEN label lad...seriously good brew ! A MUST for us early risers !

Barry’s loose leaf Classic Blend :) ... feel guilt every time I pour a cup, fine geal tea ... the poor dogs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They redeemed themselves with me with the recent rte1 investigates programme about the greyhound cruelty.

It doesn't redeem RTE. What it does is demonstrate that public television licencing should be dedicated to creating and generating quality content.

I.e. the licence money is used to buy in independent content so that an independent company can focus on such investigates programmes, not to basically overpay "TV stars". With some competition we could get quality talent that is paid appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It doesn't redeem RTE. What it does is demonstrate that public television licencing should be dedicated to creating and generating quality content..

Maybe if they did it 20 years ago not 10 years after it was already exposed

RTE hasn't done anything unique in investigative journalism in decades if ever. They just get on the bandwagon of what other journalists uncover. That is just plain lazy
    Look at Dispatches, Panorama etc for what they should be doing.

Even when they do political debates they are laughable with piss poor presenters who know nothing about their subject matter

It doesn't redeem RTE. What it does is demonstrate that public television licencing should be dedicated to creating and generating quality content.

I.e. the licence money is used to buy in independent content so that an independent company can focus on such investigates programmes, not to basically overpay "TV stars". With some competition we could get quality talent that is paid appropriately.

An argument often used is if these so-called 'stars' are not paid enough, they will leave and cannot be replaced. Well, they are not that special! Pat Kenny, an overrated broadcaster, for example left and RTE carried on. Surely, the same with the rest. I DOUBT if Kenny got anything near as big from his current employers as he got in his RTE hayday?

I also noticed during an ad break when watching The Handmaid's Tale last night an ad about the late Laura Brennan pushing the cervical cancer vaccine. At the end of the ad, it revealed something about the licence fee. Using a dead person to guilt-trip people into paying the licence fee is the latest trick and an insult to Laura and her family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Watched a bit of the twink thing earlier, I'd do life in guantanomo before I'd ever pay the licence again

There is something about her that just makes you want to put your foot through the telly. It's a horrible thing to say, but there really is. I gave that show a go, and I stuck with it for a bit trying to figure it out. I just can't put my finger on it. There's something about her that is incredibly infuriating. It's this auroa of looking at herself in the mirror with an undeserved sense of self accomplishment. I'm like hello Adele, you are not Elaine Paige and but for the sh't show that is RTE you'd be no where. Absolutely no where.

The modern day equivalent, albeit in a different area, is that Donal Skehan guy. Zero talent in his case though. At least Twink had a basic level. Donal Skehan tried his hand at absolutely everything, and with RTE all the way behind him. Utter, utter nepotism.

myshirt wrote: »
    The modern day equivalent, albeit in a different area, is that Donal Skehan guy. Zero talent in his case though. At least Twink had a basic level. Donal Skehan tried his hand at absolutely everything, and with RTE all the way behind him. Utter, utter nepotism.

Works or has worked for the BBC, UKTV, The Food Channel, Swedish TV and RTE.

Has 3 quarter of a million followers on Youtube and has produced more than half a dozen best selling books.

Don't know him or like his cooking stuff, but if RTE found more like him we may not be making such losses.

Don't know him or like his cooking stuff, but if RTE found more like him we may not be making such losses.

Problem is when you make massive cuts you find yourself repeat much of the shows he presents.

This is where it is important to understand that RTÉ needs reformation. Throwing money at it will not change its structures.

As I pointed out the cuts to Children's programming causes damage to RTÉ ability to train new people, while Donal didn't come from Young People's many of their presenters did Ray D'Arcy, Cathrine Thomas, Ryle Nugent, the work of Double Z and associated characters and so on.

The same goes for Drama. Not only are they core to a public service broadcaster they are also provide a training ground.

Not that either should just be used a a training ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

An argument often used is if these so-called 'stars' are not paid enough, they will leave and cannot be replaced. Well, they are not that special! Pat Kenny, an overrated broadcaster, for example left and RTE carried on. Surely, the same with the rest. I DOUBT if Kenny got anything near as big from his current employers as he got in his RTE hayday?

Pat Kenny is an excellent broadcaster. Probably the best around on Irish or British radio for serious discussion / debate. The notion that everyone that's ever walked through the gates of montrose are rubbish is a nonsense one. Are they grossly overpaid? Yes undoubtedly but thats a different matter altogether. Mariane Finucane is a other example of a very overpaid but very good quality broadcaster.

I think Tubridy is very poor considering his pay but if he sticks to more light hearted stuff then he's fine. The problem with the late late is more the quality of guests they get. 90 percent of them were just rounded up in the rte canteen and people just don't care. To be fair, in a small country like ours it's very hard compete with the likes of BBC with big international guests.

redlead wrote: »
    To be fair, in a small country like ours it's very hard compete with the likes of BBC with big international guests.

It's impossible to compete with London.

Big Stars and big Movies have their premiers in London normally midweek.

They sit in a hotel all day doing 10 minute interviews, then they make a brief appearance at the Premier and then it is off to a pre recorded version of the Graham Show. Irish Entertainment journalists travel to London for the interview.

The Late Late Show is unique, it's a live broadcast on a Friday night. They can't compete given the stars won't do media in Ireland and they certainly won't do it at such a specific time.

It's led to some pre-recorded interviews shoe horned into a live show, which seem rather flat TBH.

The Late Late show is also a completely different format to Norton or Ross, which IMO is getting pretty stale.

Big Star comes on tells a "witty story" to hock a product while Norton and Ross say rude things in the background.

Big celebrity love fest on the coach.

The Late Late show has turned into a bit of a misery fest, but some of the stories are very compelling, very real and very important to tell.

Turbidy isn't actually that bad, doing an interview with a young girl who has 4 weeks to live and then switching track to laugh at Pat Short is not an easy thing to do.

It's a tough gig.

The Late Late show has turned into a bit of a misery fest, but some of the stories are very compelling, very real and very important to tell.

Turbidy isn't actually that bad, doing an interview with a young girl who has 4 weeks to live and then switching track to laugh at Pat Short is not an easy thing to do.

It's a tough gig.

I agree, but Tub's is bored with it, even if they have a light entertainer on they have a set of serious questions. And there is no need for a second epsiode

The last good interview on Graham Norton was with Kevin Costner who came in at the end and really didn't want to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I can remember in Gaybos time the Late Late had lots of A list celebrities.

Ush1 wrote: »

He'd more variety of guests and items, they seem to know what they could get and what they couldn't get.

Has Tubs had a stand up do a routine on the show? Gay had more audience participation than either Pat or Tubs. Gay had panels of guests.

Tubs just seems to want to bring on the Parents of a dead person, who died tragically. Or how someone came over the odds of something in the there life and are now much better for it.

Ush1 wrote: »

There was also way less competition. I mean, you could,reasonably, justify having two chat shows. Gay Byrne on a Friday, Pat Kenny on a Saturday.
    The reason being you had celebrities who wanted to promote their movies, hawk their wares, or promote their books.

The internet wasn't around, many folks didn't have Sky or any other channels, so celebrities HAD to come here to promote their movies. Otherwise they might miss out on an audience ie money.

Nowadays, folks have access to Graham Norton, or even James Corden on the 'other' Late Late show. And the celebrities don't have to come over here.
    Like, if you look at an interview by Gay Byrne(there's a fantastic one with Billy Connolly that was taken down from youtube...jerks) you'd see him getting folks to relax and then he'd interview them.

Meanwhile, this interview with the 'Dice Man' aka Tom McGinty is a fascinating insight into a really scary time, tbqh.

McGinty was diagnosed with HIV, which, sadly, was going to become AIDS. (It was years away from a cure). He wasn't in the best of shape, but kept much of those details away from the public eye.
    The interview was from 1995, according to a comment on youtube. McGinty died in 1995.

Despite the seriousness of the subject matter, look how Gay Byrne treats it-it's not 'oh woe is me' it's more 'thank you for being The Diceman'.
    Tubridy couldn't do this type of interview-he straight up would not be able to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sure,they need all the €160's they can get.
    This is just another scandal.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/4322892/rte-eurovision-costs-tel-aviv-revealed/

Advertisement