Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing laminate

• 01-04-2021 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Not sure where best post this.

Waterproof laminate
    Choosing wood grain effect laminate flooring for new extension kitchen diner. Something about water resistant came up which was then being sold as waterproof but I'm not convinced of the need? I didn't realise you could get a textured finish as well as the smooth and think the textured looks better. Then we'd like to run the same flooring throu downstairs, especially living room and hall but also have 2 downstairs bedrooms that we wouldn't have considered for the same quality as the living area but then its tempting to have them all the same or near enough. One bedroomand living room are both being remodelled and need re flooring.

Basically I want a nice floor for extension to run thro the downstairs but not to spend too much on 2 bedrooms in the mix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

misc2013 wrote: »
    Not sure where best post this.

Waterproof laminate
    Choosing wood grain effect laminate flooring for new extension kitchen diner. Something about water resistant came up which was then being sold as waterproof but I'm not convinced of the need? I didn't realise you could get a textured finish as well as the smooth and think the textured looks better. Then we'd like to run the same flooring throu downstairs, especially living room and hall but also have 2 downstairs bedrooms that we wouldn't have considered for the same quality as the living area but then its tempting to have them all the same or near enough. One bedroomand living room are both being remodelled and need re flooring.

Basically I want a nice floor for extension to run thro the downstairs but not to spend too much on 2 bedrooms in the mix.

I'm doing exactly the same as you. I have been recommended the Balterio range by a friend in the business. For kitchens and other potentially wet areas you need to run a waterproof seal along the edges before you cover over.

Also the laminate should go in after the kitchen units and island.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭hero25

Would recommend Quickstep and going with the waterproof option and as thick as you can afford .. just for that extra feel & sound of quality under your feet.
    We've 2x Quickstep floors, one waterproof, one not. Have them down about 5 years and both look as good as new. A big plus with the waterproof is water stains... they don't leave any (at least ours don't) .. in comparison to the our 2nd, non-waterproof, floor.
    We put in the floor before kitchen and island .... but had measured where the feet of the island and units would be.... and stopped the floor close to there. That way the floor runs under the units and island, rather than up to the units and still has room to "expand/contract/move" slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

We put in the floor before kitchen and island .... but had measured where the feet of the island and units would be.... and stopped the floor close to there. That way the floor runs under the units and island, rather than up to the units and still has room to "expand/contract/move" slightly[/quote]

Yeah - that’s an option alright, I might do the same. Main thing is not to put presses and island on top of the floating floor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭hesker

We put down Balterio in our hall recently. While we really like it there’s some things to be aware of

1) Never ever allow a drop of paint to get on it. I got a spot on one board and even though I got to it before it dried it was impossible to remove without abrading the surface to the point that the surface gloss was partly removed. I ended up replacing the board.
    I have access to full range of cleaners and chemicals. Nothing worked.

2) Replacing boards is to be avoided as the tongue can easily snap off. I had zero problems laying new boards. Taking them up without damage is a different matter

3) Don’t drop things on the boards. I dropped a cup which left a little mark. Doesn’t bother me too much but might bother some

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭misc2013

Follow up question. Flooring guy 1 recommended going flush room to room with the boards. No strips.
    Flooring guy 2 advised against flush but that we should put a divide between each room to allow for expansion.
    Thoughts?
    Had liked the streamlined look of running the boards between hall and rooms and see it alot in pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭hero25

would definitely run room to room. he should be able to leave gaps for expansion under the skirting & door frame.

edit: if you end up with a strip at the doors, I know Quickstep do a thin strip for this to match each of their floor... others may do also.... have floor guy lay it so its under the door when closed..
    IMO, it looks far batter than a door saddle.

Advertisement