Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Workshop heating.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Would you not build yourself a DIY Masonry heater or a rocket mass heater? Would be well within your capabilities I'd imagine.
    Along with a bit of insulation, it would be the common-sense way to heat your space.

I experimented with using storage heater bricks to soak up the heat of an open fire and it was impressive.
    You could try storage heater bricks all around that stove, would be s cheap upgrade for now. But really, a rocket mass heater together with cob or masonry bricks would be a good job.

I use paraffin heaters for the past 10 years. You can run them quite cheaply on Kero. But thats is fumier than using paraffin/ROLF. Currently, I use Tozane (ROLF) in a home office large caravan. I wouldn't use kero in this situation but have done so in a large well ventilated room.

I have to admit I am currently looking at some vids on this and its construction methods. I confess I am impressed and drawn towards it as a heating source for my workshop. I will give it strong consideration, as i dont think its too labour intensive, and seems to have excellent outcomes.

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just build a fulacht fia in the middle of the workshop. heating *and* food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Left of field... But I got an old Bitcoin miner. It's noisy but I earn close to the cost of electricity and it heats up my 24sqm workshop in no time. I also have a load of old oil and do plan to make a rocket stove at some point. But the comment on vapour is something I had previously considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

deegs wrote: »
    Left of field... But I got an old Bitcoin miner. It's noisy but I earn close to the cost of electricity and it heats up my 24sqm workshop in no time. I also have a load of old oil and do plan to make a rocket stove at some point. But the comment on vapour is something I had previously considered.

One of the most unusual approaches to workshop heating that I've heard - I love it!

I've got a few old PCs around, so I guess I could set up a really inefficient mining farm and try something similar but in my case there's no way I could get close to covering the costs with the level of processing power available!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I got this for my shed, does the job great when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

jeepers101 wrote: »
    I have an air to air heat pump. It’s the job, heats the place up very quickly and is efficient. Also have the option to cool if it’s one of the four days in the year it’s needed.

The units themselves aren’t hugely expensive (start around €400) but professional installation can cost three times that. It would be better if you know someone in the air conditioning trade to either do it for you or lend you the tools.

I got one of them too.
    Installed it ourselves.
    2 x 6 inch holes in the wall and bobs yer uncle.
    Works like a freezer in reverse. It draws heat from the air outside. PAsses the air inside over the radiarot fin type thing inside and blows it out hot.
    Dont put your hand near the cold exiting air outside unless you want frostbite :)
    Make sure you buy one that is powerful enough for your space though.
    And like you said. The couple of days you need it in the summer it reverses to aircon at the touch of a button.

I also have a heated gillet that i wear when its very cold outside. Maybe one of those would help til you get your heating sorted.
    Now i need heated socks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

kadman wrote: »
    For an air to heat pump I would have to install a wet central heating system in my shed would i not??

No. Air to air. Think aircon on the continent, but in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

For an air to heat pump I would have to install a wet central heating system in my shed would i not??
    Sticking with this concept, have you access to a stream, lake, slurry pit, for a water to air HP

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Sticking with this concept, have you access to a stream, lake, slurry pit, for a water to air HP

No I have not. I have a 320' bored well.....any use??

Not savvy on water to air heat pump at all. Too busy looking at rocket mass heaters at the moment.

No I have not. I have a 320' bored well.....any use??

Not savvy on water to air heat pump at all. Too busy looking at rocket mass heaters at the moment.

So taking on Space X etc!:D

Anyway W2A is a bit pricey but very effective as the water stays more or less at the same temp all year, where as the A2A suffers from what we had last week and lower conductivity.
    Come back if you need more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

So taking on Space X etc!:D

Anyway W2A is a bit pricey but very effective as the water stays more or less at the same temp all year, where as the A2A suffers from what we had last week and lower conductivity.
    Come back if you need more

Would it suite a workshop though. I would assume that it's small increase in temp over a long time gets the space hot . Would it be expensive to run ina draughty and pearly insulated shed.

Would it suite a workshop though. 1: I would assume that it's small increase in temp over a long time gets the space hot .2: Would it be expensive to run ina draughty and pearly insulated shed.

1 & 2, not really and yes, which is why the IR option is better, either from wet rads at ceiling level or the radiant elec or gas tubes at ceiling level

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭hargo

Don't know if you got sorted Kadman but Bohills in Drogheda do reconditioned stoves very reasonable.. I was looking at a very nice one there just before Christmas for €200. Might be worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bamayang

BullBauld wrote: »
    I got this for my shed, does the job great when needed.

I have an old handy size stove at home that has no use for the house. Was thinking about putting it into the workshop instead. Its 7M x 5M, 50mm kingspan insulated.

Is there any risk of introducing moisture (earlier mentioned in thread).
    Also, is there any carbon diox risk, assuming it will have a flue out through the wall.

Appreciate any replies, as I dont know anything about this stuff.

jeepers101 wrote: »
    I have an air to air heat pump. It’s the job, heats the place up very quickly and is efficient. Also have the option to cool if it’s one of the four days in the year it’s needed.

The units themselves aren’t hugely expensive (start around €400) but professional installation can cost three times that. It would be better if you know someone in the air conditioning trade to either do it for you or lend you the tools.

Can you post a link to the model you have, thanks,

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Can you post a link to the model you have, thanks,

K.

Outdoor Model:http://www.toshiba-calc.co.uk/ahu/images/pdfs/RAV-SM803ATE.pdf

Indoor model: http://homeappliance.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/toshiba/ravsm802xte.html

Its close to 8 years old now so newer ones will be even more efficient. Also have a 2.5kw LG wall mounted unit installed in the house nearly 5 years. Both going as well as the day they were installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How about a diesel heater like used in Motorhome a and trucks.

I’ve seen people use them for workshops.

Like this.
    Air Diesel Heater, 5KW 12V Parking Vehicle Heater Set For Car Truck Bus, Trucks,RV, Motorhome Trailer, Trucks, Boats https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XNYWSDJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_6hFaGbXQEEJE3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aidan Harney

Not sure how good our bad this would be at meeting anyone's individual requirements, but aldi have an Easy Home Mini Oil Filled Radiator for just under 17euro....

https://www.aldi.ie/easy-home-mini-oil-filled-radiator/p/802241398190600

My son just bought 2 1500w dimplex ones last week. 60 euro a pop.
    He said they were crap.

I insulated between the rafters of his workshop then with 50mm high density EPS.

Before the insulation he had them going all day and could not heat his area.

After the insulation, you would be overwhelmed with the heat, that now reach the temp and turn off.

Cheap form of small area heat, providing you have the workshop well insulated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

kil wrote: »

Was in a place today using one of these, it works well, but they lined the lower half of it with firebrick, to protect the steel, as a previous one got too hot and buckled.

• Advertisement

Was in a place today using one of these, it works well, but they lined the lower half of it with firebrick, to protect the steel, as a previous one got too hot and buckled.

The problem here is before its lined , its already narrow.
    After lining with firebricks I reckon the firebox could be reduced by up to 50%

k.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Perazzi

The problem here is before its lined , its already narrow.
    After lining with firebricks I reckon the firebox could be reduced by up to 50%

k.
    I got a second hand stove off done deal
    And i i insulated my 20x 18 garage and it’s fantastic
    Got second hand 80mm thick and did the job for me
    No cheap option but at least it’s all second hand stuff and did not cost a lot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,233 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does secondhand insulation come up often? was it leftover excess?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

does secondhand insulation come up often? was it leftover excess?

There is usually a Laois based Add, on DD for seconds and secondhand insulation.

cheers, i'd just need to friction fit rigid foam between the joists in my shed.

Insulation is definitely the first thing if possible. Makes a tremendous difference.

My son has 2 small dimplex heaters in his insulated workshop. And they are on the low setting
    thermostatically controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

AS the title says workshop heating.

What do you guys have. At the moment I have an old small stove,
    thats not really doing the job for my large workshop.

Its about 40'x30'. I am looking for an option thats cheap enough to run.
    I am considering a diesel/ kerosene heater, but not sure on its running costs.

So I would appreciate your input lads and lassies.:)

Thankyou,
    K.

Kadman, unsure if you've come across this resource, as you descended down the rocket (stove) pipe.
    https://donkey32.proboards.com/

Came across it on a Vortex Rocket stove YT video.
    Appears to be an immense rocket stove /RMH/ batchbox resource.

Advertisement