Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were You In Love Or Did You Just Settle For What You Had?

• 25-04-2021 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

Hi. For those of you who are married or engaged.......were/are you in love with your partner or did you just settle for what you had (time was running out regarding children or you didn't want to spend your life alone for example) ??

I'm just curious.
    I'm not married myself just so you know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My wife told me yesterday that she was thinking of signing up for Boards.

I was head over heels in love when I got married.

My missus, who sometimes picks up my phone, is also dearly beloved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I know a couple who met in college, didn't fall madly in love but instead became very good friends. They decided that if neither were married by the time they were 30, they would marry each other.

They're probably the happiest married couple I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

*Reads thread title*

*Checks username*

;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Let's be honest. Most people are settling.

Women are taking risks if they want to have children after 35, and once they've sown their wild oats, financial and lifestyle stability matters more than looks.

Men, similarly, don't want to end up dying alone having their corpse eaten by their cat or dog.

If this pandemic has proven anything, it's that most people can't handle being alone.

The only thing that's open is the supermarket and the streets are still filled with traffic from 9 to 6 every day!

It's honestly hilarious how much people hate to be alone with their thoughts. Read a book or something for **** sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,436 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If this pandemic has proven anything, it's that most people can't handle being alone.

I don't think anyone has proved that. In the 2016 Census 400,000 adults were living on their own, with no pandemic to influence their choice.

Some 400,000 people were living alone, while 41.1 per cent of the Irish population aged 15 and over, accounting for 1,544,862 people, were single.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Got married because I became pregnant. It was the done thing back in the day and absolutely expected by both families. I thought I loved him but who knows really.
    We stayed together 16 years all the same before he said he never really loved me and left. I felt sad for myself but also for him. I never blamed him for leaving. I can't forgive him not being part of his children's lives though.

Got married because I became pregnant. It was the done thing back in the day and absolutely expected by both families. I thought I loved him but who knows really.
    We stayed together 16 years all the same before he said he never really loved me and left. I felt sad for myself but never blamed him for leaving. I can't forgive him not being part of his children's lives though.

My mother got pregnant as a teenager and was browbeaten into marrying my father.

I blame my grandmother for me being born.

At the same time, if we're being honest, that kind of story isn't unique in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Love her but wouldn't be my first choice physically, doubt I'm unique

My mother got pregnant as a teenager and was browbeaten into marrying my father.

I blame my grandmother for me being born.

At the same time, if we're being honest, that kind of story isn't unique in this country.

You were born because your parents had sex. I doubt it was your grandmother's fault? :(

It's not at all unique, it's not even awful. Just saying what happened to me when I settled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I married for love.

She married for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We celebrated 25 years together last month and we are still in love. I still get goosebumps when I see him :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭optogirl

Definite love match here - first time I was in a relationship that felt equal, as in we both felt the same way about each other. Together 16 years and married 4. Sure there are times when we want to slap each other but there is a great foundation that we both know is worth a lot. We have very similar tastes in everything so we really do enjoy hanging out with each other. Just as well cos we haven't had much choice this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

As the saying goes around here... She/He walked up the isle with nothing.... Walked back down with half the farm. Not unusual around these parts anyway....

Got married because I became pregnant.
    We stayed together 16 years all the same... I can't forgive him not being part of his children's lives though.

16 years seems plenty of time to be part of the childrens lives? Unless I'm reading that wrongly? :confused:

You were born because your parents had sex. I doubt it was your grandmother's fault? :(

It's not at all unique, it's not even awful. Just saying what happened to me when I settled.

I'm not the oldest. I've been privy to conversations where it's been made clear that my mother married not because it's what she wanted, but what other people wanted. Hence more children and me further down the line.

I wallowed in pity but she was just a teenager. She had to make life decisions at 18 that I'm not capable of making in my thirties.

Thank god people have more options nowadays and the god botherers have less influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I don;t see the point in settling for anything less than happiness.

I'd rather be single than unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Marry for love in your 20's..............

Marry for financial security, social status, 3 holidays and a new car every year... in your 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

biko wrote: »
    I married for love.

She married for money.

She sounds hot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,284 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Oops! wrote: »
    As the saying goes around here... She/He walked up the isle with nothing.... Walked back down with half the farm. Not unusual around these parts anyway....

Do you all get married up north?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Do you all get married up north?

Nope, other end of the country is where i am, Also have neither a wife or a farm and happy that way!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

KKV wrote: »
    16 years seems plenty of time to be part of the childrens lives? Unless I'm reading that wrongly? :confused:

The oldest is 16. The youngest is who knows?

Regardless, you can leave a marriage but you cannot just say bye to your kids and have that be fine, particularly during years they need emotional and financial support. 16 is definitely in that bracket. There is no "you've had plenty time" for kids.
    I know people who've had serious parental estrangement as adults and it's caused huge pain. That is not fine for any 16 year old.

KKV wrote: »

You are not thinking it out properly. Children are not all the same age.

The oldest was 16 when he left. We had a large family. The youngest three were 2, 4 and 7 when he left. Not a phone call, birthday card or xmas present since. I didn't make it difficult for him in case that's what you think. Like i said, i don't blame him for leaving me. I feel sorry for him that he stayed so long in a relationship he was unhappy in. But turning his back on his children I can't forgive him for.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Madly in love honestly and its been 12 years now (only married for 2 of those).

I'm not the oldest. I've been privy to conversations where it's been made clear that my mother married not because it's what she wanted, but what other people wanted. Hence more children and me further down the line.

I wallowed in pity but she was just a teenager. She had to make life decisions at 18 that I'm not capable of making in my thirties.

Thank god people have more options nowadays and the god botherers have less influence.

Ok I see now what you mean.
    You hardly resent being born though. Are you not glad?
    On the plus side, myself and a lot of people my age had children we never planned and it was not unknown for women to be upset to be pregnant again. But that was just a reaction at the time and those children were loved and cherished the same as those who were planned.
    I really hope that was the case with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I had to go wading through piles of my own BS to find my post from 2011:

I met a wonderful woman and got engaged 5 months later. 13 months after we met we got married. all of my friends said we were crazy,too young etc. last oct we celebrated our 20th anniversery. four kids, four million rows,no regerts.

remember, the best part about fighting is making up afterwards .

I turn 40 this july, when shes around i feel 20.

I turn 50 this year, still married to her,(31 years this year) still very much in love. now with grandkids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I definitely didn't settle. Herself might say otherwise. But I don't think so...

Oops! wrote: »
    There's also an expression for the opposite of that. If a farmer has married a primary-school teacher, for example, he is said to have gotten himself "a laying hen".

It's obviously not a serious comment, but there is of course a practical legal and economic element to marriage.

My mother always told me marry someone with money because love runs out..

So I married for love, married a year and a half after we met at the tender ages of 21 and 24, still together 12 years and still in love, best friends! Many a argument, 4 kids later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭pgj2015

bilbot79 wrote: »
    She sounds hot

Are you saying Biko can only fall in love with hot women? :confused:

Advertisement