Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

• 31-08-2020 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I think it's about time we highlighted the more wacky WOKE notions that are popping up in the media on a weekly basis nowadays, if any of them aren't at all. I'm putting this in AH in the hope it's a more lighthearted thread rather than not.

To start off here's 3 I've come across this last week alone.

Full Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.

Sky news are running a report this week that says one of the reasons black people are severely under-represented in pro swimming is because of their thick afro hair and standard swimming caps don't fit. I would have thought cutting your hair would be a solution to this problem but I suppose doing that would be discriminatory to hair.

Multi Grammy award winner Adele has been criticised for cultural appropriation, because she posted a pic of herself on Instagram sporting an African hairdo. I guess she's not into swimming. Source.

Do add the one's you come across as they arrive. I'll just make a prediction, exclamation marks will be next !

Mod: Okay the threads open for business again, sorry for the delay! The main thing that needs to be reminded is the forum charter explicitly states keep it lighthearted and don’t be a dick

From now on posters who are not abiding by these rules and ignoring mod instructions will be sanctioned. This thread will be monitored closely and if things continue to decline it will either be closed entirely or moved somewhere else.

Threadbans:

Stranger Things

RobbieTheRobber

Cordell Lifted 14/02/23

CGI_Livia_Soprano Lifted 07/03/23
    Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yawn.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

.(!!!).."!!!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Current Affairs/IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

AllForIt wrote: »
    IFull Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.

Oh that one's not so bad. I briefly skimmed the article and I don't think it's claiming offense? Just that it can be intimidating in a text message. That's true. I like it. The intimidating full-stop is a useful tool.

"fine"

vs

"fine."

You're in the ****-house if you're reading the second option and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think it's about time we highlighted the more wacky WOKE notions that are popping up in the media on a weekly basis nowadays, if any of them aren't at all. I'm putting this in AH in the hope it's a more lighthearted thread rather than not.

Full Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.

Sky news are running a report this week that says one of the reasons black people are severely under-represented in pro swimming is because of their thick afro hair and standard swimming caps don't fit. I would have thought cutting your hair would be a solution to this problem but I suppose doing that would be discriminatory to hair.

Multi Grammy award winner Adele has been criticised for cultural appropriation, because she posted a pic of herself on Instagram sporting an African hairdo. I guess she's not into swimming. Source.

Do add the one's you come across as they arrive. I'll just make a prediction, exclamation marks will be next !
    You are more annoying that any wokism.

• Advertisement

Go wacky yourself off for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You are more annoying that any wokism.

I don't like your vibes.

Your Face wrote: »
    Current Affairs/IMHO

No just bullsh1t as usual about being offended about other people being offended.

nudain wrote: »
    Go wacky yourself off for a bit.

Can't do that anymore. It's offensive to potential people.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/mumbai-traffic-light-women-intl-hnk-scli/index.html#:~:text=The%20Indian%20financial%20capital%2C%20home,the%20generic%20male%20stick%20figure.

Various countries including Mumbai as per the article linked have gone to the trouble of changing the stick figures on their traffic lights to that of a female.

The problem with that is, would that not indicate that only woman can cross and visa versa.

female-traffic-light-signals.jpg

• Advertisement

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/mumbai-traffic-light-women-intl-hnk-scli/index.html#:~:text=The%20Indian%20financial%20capital%2C%20home,the%20generic%20male%20stick%20figure.

Various countries including Mumbai as per the article linked have gone to the trouble of changing the stick figures on their traffic lights to that of a female.

The problem with that is, would that not indicate that only woman can cross and visa versa.

Only in your head

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Your Face wrote: »
    Current Affairs/IMHO

We can see through his crap over there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mumbai isn't a country, galaxy brain

I sense a very strong acceptance of Woke ideas around there. That's fine. Won't stop me ridiculing them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You do realise you're the one being had in all this don't you. The vast majority of people don't give a toss about this nonsense; and those who publish this silliness are just waiting for a sucker like you to bite and then bloviate about political correctness/ crazy lefties or whatever you're having yourself. You're being played like a fiddle. A fiddle I tells you!

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/04/superdrug-launch-inclusive-sanitary-products-for-people-who-menstruate-13225543/

Superdrug has launched 'inclusive' sanitary towels, removing any indication from them that they are for women. Pink packaging etc. Now they are for 'people who menstruate'.

I sense a very strong acceptance of Woke ideas around there. That's fine. Won't stop me ridiculing them though.

That's because most people don't care and aren't easily offended or bitter by people getting a little bit ahead from where they are.

coolbeans wrote: »
    You do realise you're the one being had in all this don't you. The vast majority of people don't give a toss about this nonsense; and those who publish this silliness are just waiting for a sucker like you to bite and then bloviate about political correctness/ crazy lefties or whatever you're having yourself. You're being played like a fiddle. A fiddle I tells you!

What you are saying is that all these Wokeism's are introduced specifically to annoy people like me specifically. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that has some truth to it.

I never said a jot about politician correctness, crazy lefties, or anything like that in this thread, all I've done is take the p*ss of all this hilarious nonsense.

So, it seems to me it is you that is the one that is annoyed that it's not having the desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Send this crap to the other crap in CA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Ah here, it's a Friday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I never said a jot about politician correctness, crazy lefties, or anything like that in this thread, all I've done is take the p*ss of all this hilarious nonsense.

...but u have been getting your knickers in a twist re lefties etc on other threads too. You're very, very predictable. In sum, if the shoe fits Mr Fiddle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Geuze wrote: »
    The fact African American businesses are being destroyed is a real dilemma for the white middleclass arseholes who claim there's a positive to it.

coolbeans wrote: »
    ...but u have been getting your knickers in a twist re lefties etc on other threads too. You're very, very predictable. In sum, if the shoe fits Mr Fiddle...

If anyone is getting their knickers in a twist it is you.

You are getting your knickers in a twist because you can't stand anyone taking the pi*s of all this nonsense. What could be more obvious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

coolbeans, AllForIt

Both of you stop with the sniping
    Also, back on topic please or thread closure seems likely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Its a good idea for a forum, these things should be criticized and laughed at. I remember last week someone had written an article saying that white people owning dogs was racist for some reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Its a good idea for a forum, these things should be criticized and laughed at. I remember last week some had written an article saying that white people owning dogs was racist for some reason.

Really?. Hah i'm off to try find that!.

Really?. Hah i'm off to try find that!.

So far only references I can find appear to be redit where most are calling it bullsh1t as in its a hoax and a load of sites for what my American friends call basement dwellers/ members of the tinfoil hat brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/04/superdrug-launch-inclusive-sanitary-products-for-people-who-menstruate-13225543/

Superdrug has launched 'inclusive' sanitary towels, removing any indication from them that they are for women. Pink packaging etc. Now they are for 'people who menstruate'.

:p The marketing guys must have been pissing themselves with laughter when they came up with this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Also is it actually a woman just because she's wearing a dress? Cue the collective indignation and fury and warbling about how gender is a social construct. Or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement