Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭maurice1

Is it just me or has Lyca data gone horribly wrong.
    I cant seem to get speedtest.net to work consistantly.
    I've tried it in 2 dual sim phones now, a mi mix2s and a mi9.
    I also have a three.co.uk sim and it works perfectly even roaming in Dublin. Accessing my cameras wont work on Lyca but will on 3. Speedtest works fine on 3.
    It seems to be after they started injecting adverts.
    If I use a VPN it seems to work better, but gomo.ie is starting to look inviting, however I like the UK number with Lyca and the 300 foreign minutes
    Anyone any ideas?

PS Very surprisingly, 4 out of 5 for Lyca on https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/lycamobile.ie

Since GoMo....

source.gif

Seriously anyone who was on Lyca should change to them (before Jan 15)

https://gomo.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

glasso wrote: »
    Since GoMo....

source.gif

Seriously anyone who was on Lyca should change to them (before Jan 15)

https://gomo.ie/

Au contraire. When things work smoothly then there is little to discuss.
    I moved back to Lyca after 2 months on GoMo. Horrendous performance and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Shorty69664

About to do the same. I wouldn't say gomo is horrendous but I'm getting edge coverage anywhere I really need to use data, when it was so much better with Lycamobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,883 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lycamobile causing no problems at all.
    Happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I tried gomo for a month, can see the attraction for data but the short code texts issue was a deal breaker for me. Gave the sim to my son and went back to lyca, they were always fine for me.
    Actually more reliable than my work Vodafone sim

NATLOR wrote: »
    I tried gomo for a month, can see the attraction for data but the short code texts issue was a deal breaker for me. Gave the sim to my son and went back to lyca, they were always fine for me.
    Actually more reliable than my work Vodafone sim

I have no problem at all with receiving short code texts on gomo. what issues did you have?

Gomo speeds and general data availability far better than lyca for where I mostly use it. Lyca was terrible a lot of the time for data in my experience.

Lyca are on three so definitely not as good as Vodafone who have the best network overall in Ireland.

glasso wrote: »
    I have no problem at all with receiving short code texts on gomo. what issues did you have?

Gomo speeds and general data availability far better than lyca for where I mostly use it. Lyca was terrible a lot of the time for data in my experience.

Lyca are on three so definitely not as good as Vodafone who have the best network overall in Ireland.

Not receiving them was the problem.
    I agree gomo is better for data speeds but data is not my priority on a mobile I use my phone primarily for calls and messages and found gomo was also dropping calls occasionally and sent texts not being received.
    I use a duel sim phone and travel a lot for work, overall have found the lyca signal coverage better than Vodafone but that's just my personal experience

Have both my kids kids on gomo and they love it, it's a great offer and can see the attraction but it's not for me due to above reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Lyca suits me too. Warts and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 peannoir

Hi folks,

Been with Lyca for about a year. I'm was not a heavy phone user but have had to use it more over the last few months and will be doing so more into the future. I've come up with a few issues that I am wondering if others have come across. I have tried to bring it to the attention of customer services but to no avail.

1 - consistent none receipt of text messages, both as receiver and sender. So much so now, that for a lot of things, I follow up the text with an email...to say I've sent a text. More often than not, the text never arrives.

2 - This is super weird. It might be happening more often than I am aware but on many occasions when I sent a text, if the person does receive it, it is from a completely different number. Example. I sent a text to a family member. Only that they recognised the context of the text, the number was not mine. I sent a second text a couple of minutes after this and this had a completely different number. When they mentioned this to me, we did a test. I sent 5 different texts within a few minutes and every single text showed up on their phone with a completely different and unrecognised number. The numbers were not even Irish mobile numbers. Contaccted them about this on a number of occasions and nothing.

3 - Taking credit. On more than one occasion, they have taken credit from my account. All in the form of text messages that did not happen to numbers that I don't recognise and all within a few seconds of each other. It happened once or twice before and about 2 or 3 euros went. I was annoyed but let it go. Just went to buy bundle there now and was surprised there was not enough credit. It had gone under because yet again, 6 charges put on my account that never happened. Someone else I know claims they took 18 euro from him!

Not happy with it at all but not many options out there.

Have any of you had any issues like this with them and if so, did you get them resolved?

Thanks all,
    PO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭dubrov

I ended up dumping Lyca for the following reasons

1) Text messages frequently not received
    2) Push notifications would not work which prevented some apps from working (Bleeperbike, EBS mobile authentication are a couple)
    3) Remembering to buy a bundle just when a previous one ended was driving me crazy.

On the downsides GoMo is more expensive 9.99pm versus about 6pm o Lycamobile if done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Lycamobile have discounted this package (unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 20 GB data) to 10 EUR per month for the first 6 months after someone ports into the network. The price after the 6 months is 15 EUR.

Obviously Lyca has its drawbacks as per this thread but this offer might interest some.

I've had problems receiving texts too from authentication apps.
    Sometimes putting +353 in front of your own phone number can help.

Regarding online stuff not working, this appeared when they put adverts on your browser when you initially opened the browser. The ridiculous thing is they are advertising Lycamobile, yet to get them you are already a customer.

For some apps I have to use a VPN to my own router at home.
    This works for me.

Does anyone remember the pop ups saying they were upgrading us to 4G in April 2019. Has there been any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

i noticed redirection happens when going into http websites. if you put https, you wont see Lyca ad.

I have Europe 300 minutes bundle with 20 days left and about 15 minutes.
    Can I buy another bundle before the existing one runs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

maurice1 wrote: »

Yes of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

maurice1 wrote: »

If you are in the habit of running out of minutes to call europe and dont need much data then consider 'International Red'

https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bundle/international-red/

800min €12 / 30days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

Do they let you keep your credit to buy call mintues out of bundle like they used too this might save my sister some money . topping up her phone & the kids all @the end of the month.

homingbird wrote: »
    Do they let you keep your credit to buy call mintues out of bundle like they used too this might save my sister some money . topping up her phone & the kids all @the end of the month.

Presuming no international calls are being made

Most cost effective way of purchasing is as follows

month 1 top up by €15 gets you unlimited free national calls and 15GB data and keep your credit, use free messaging service eg whatsapp etc

Month 2 use the €15 to buy the Ireland plus bundle free calls and texts, 25gb data

Ok thanks so thats 2months for the price of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yes, and very handy. Now with restrictions, everywhere has wifi except when out walking/exercising you could probably pay even less. I haven't checked out the other bundles, I am about to start the 2nd month in the same bundle mentioned above.

Yes, providing you don't use texts during the top up months (if you do eat into the €15 you can obviously top your balance up back to €15)
    and as mentioned above there are cheaper bundles if they suit but you will always need to top up by 15 every 2nd month

Ok I got the SIM 2day I bought it with 15 euro credit . I activated it & it's working but showing no credit did I do something wrong or is it that I will have to wait 24 hours to show my credit.

Here is my dashboard.

Dashboard

My dashboard

Ok I got the SIM 2day I bought it with 15 euro credit . I activated it & it's working but showing no credit did I do something wrong or is it that I will have to wait 24 hours to show my credit.

You purchased the Ireland plus bundle which costs €15
    When that expires top up by €15 then you will have €15 credit

• Registered Users Posts: 22,883 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You purchased the IrelandPlus bundle for e15. Error there

You should have just topped up by e15 which would have given 15gb, unlimited calls, for 30 days, keep credit.

You'll know next time

zell12 wrote: »
    You purchased the IrelandPlus bundle for e15. Error there

You should have just topped up by e15 which would have given 15gb, unlimited calls, for 30 days, keep credit.

You'll know next time

Ok I should have just topped up with 15 euro is Lycamobile only 3g internet also. Thanks

• Advertisement

Lyca is only 3G.
    In certain EU countries whilst roaming you get 4G.

Advertisement