Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Balloons

• 22-09-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Has anybody else spotted those red "baloons" attached to the buildings down the docks?

There's one on the H&H Hall building and one on the Odlums factory too....

What the heck are they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

omg i am not the only one seeing them! they look really strange at a first glance i thought they were aliens or me seeing things!
    I dono what they are or why though!
    maybe they are the new 'art'

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I believe that it was/is part of an art installation for "Culture Night" last Friday. There was also a red perspex weather station cube on the docks, I think it tied in with the 3 red balloon things somehow...but I was drunk at the time, and can't quite remember the link now...
    Exciting Modern Art in Cork Docklands: Sept 19 - Oct 10

If you're in Cork between Sept 19 and Oct 10, you might catch sight of some truly unusual modern art, courtesy of the city's National Sculpture Factory (NSF), a national arts resource devoted to the creation and understanding of contemporary art.

The NSF will be launching three new Temporary Projects in the docklands on Cork’s inaugural Culture Night, Friday 19 Sept 2008. The event kicks off at 6pm in the Port of Cork boardroom and will be followed by a tour of the projects at 7pm. The projects, which will be on show for three weeks until 10 Oct in the docklands area of Albert Quay and Kennedy’s Quay, have been commissioned from local, national and international artists Sorcha O’Brien and Eli Caamano (Cork/Barcelona), Seamus Nolan (Dublin) and Inigo Manglano-Ovalle (Chicago).

"Balloon" by Sorcha O’Brien and Eli Caamano
    Cork-based artists Sorcha O’Brien and Eli Caamano are collaborating to install 3-5 balloons (between 12 and 20 foot in diameter) on the tops of buildings along Kennedy’s Quay. The lightness of touch of the balloon sculptures will act as a counterpoint to the dense block of dockland architecture that usually dominates the area and the work will be visible from many changing vantage points across Cork.

"Docks Tour" by Seamus Nolan
    Dubliner Seamus Nolan has designed a public artwork in the form of a worker’s tour of the area, echoing the nature walkways and protected environments prevalent in our post-industrial societies. Visitors can take a horse-drawn tour of the docks by booking in advance through the National Sculpture Factory.

"Weather Station" by Iñigo Manglano-Ovalle
    The Madrid-born public artist Iñigo Manglano-Ovalle will be suspending a sea container between land and water at the dockside, so that it is neither arriving or leaving, thus reflecting the transitional state of the docks itself. To be sited at the corner of the Eamon de Valera Bridge and Albert Quay, the container will be customised to look like a white cube, with a glowing red light in the interior which will be visible through transparent doors at either side. It will also contain a weather station, provoking thought on climate, micro-culture, globalisation and locality.

These innovative artworks may sound challenging to those of you who are accustomed to traditional painting and sculpture. If so, COME AND SEE THEM! The only way to appreciate this type of contemporary public art is to experience it in the flesh.

National Sculpture Factory
    Tel. 021 431 4353
    www.nationalsculpturefactory.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Ah crap, now I have 99 Luftballons stuck in my noggin!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I was driving down the docks from the Lower Glanmire Road/Tivoli side on Sunday afternoon about 6 and I saw a photographer taking pictures of a girl in a red dress with that backdrop....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Its their substitute for the delay in the Docklands Development plan.

"Sure lob in a few Balloons, that'll distract them!"

lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I saw the supports for them last week - I was wondering what they were for.

2881096141_8c9798be09.jpg

2881931188_069cb218c3.jpg

2881096429_766a1fe2fa.jpg

there's at least one more - I think it's on the ESB building.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Balloons - not just for kids parties.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

deRanged wrote: »

there's at least one more - I think it's on the ESB building.

There is indeed another on the ESB building, it's back further so it is hard to see. Saw it while passing on the quay earlier.

Saw them last night on my way home also and they have lights below them to show them up at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

on the ESB building,

2882944902_d53f36a7cc.jpg

and all 4 with the ESB one tiny.

2882944322_c4e5f2aa61.jpg

they're actually quite striking from the penrose quay area - they're outlined against the sky nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

deRanged wrote: »

they're actually quite striking from the penrose quay area - they're outlined against the sky nicely.

Yeah, I agree, they do look quite well. Nice pics btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

they should add 96 more of them

*edit

or 95, seeing as how i just realised there's four of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Is the 'Weather Station' installation in yet? And if so, where is it? I went looking for that on friday night to see it all lit up but couldn't find it. Fair enough, I was a bit locked, but I still thought i'd spot it no bother...

Advertisement