Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paid subscription anonymity

• 14-07-2020 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

Since I was appreciative of the resources that I found on boards.ie when Covid19 broke out, I decided to purchase another boards subscription.
    When it sent it me to Paypall, I was filling out my payment information (name, address etc.) and realised that my anonymity would possibly be void if the payment was processed. What information does Journal Media get upon receipt of payment?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

When a payment is made to our Paypal account we'll be able to see your Paypal account name, the email address used and amount paid.

The subscription is added automatically to your Boards account so unless there was a problem (e.g. sub didn't appear on your account), no one would need to look at your transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Thanks for the response Niamh.

What if I skip logging into PayPal and pay on their landing page directly, as that is an option i.e. just input the credit card info plus name/address? I'm curious if it would grab and send my name from that payment interface ....
    Have no problem with my e-mail address being visible.

I wasn't sure if that would work so I went through the subscription process on my personal account via the method you mentioned. Paypal won't process the transaction without your name, billing address (which we, as Journal Media do not receive), email address and a contact phone number (which we also don't receive). My username, real name and email address then appear on the transaction on the Boards.ie Paypal account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Got it.
    Thank you for going through the process to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Neowise

I wasn't sure if that would work so I went through the subscription process on my personal account via the method you mentioned. Paypal won't process the transaction without your name, billing address (which we, as Journal Media do not receive), email address and a contact phone number (which we also don't receive). My username, real name and email address then appear on the transaction on the Boards.ie Paypal account.

Paypal won't process the transaction without your name,

billing address (which we, as Journal Media do not receive),

email address

and a contact phone number (which we also don't receive).

Its clear from the above that JM don't get billing address or phone number.
    What is unclear is name.

Does the name provided to paypal get forwarded on to JM?

Yes can see the name, as I mentioned in a previous post, username, real name and email address are shared with us on Paypal. It is not forwarded from the Paypal platform to anywhere else though if that is what you were asking.

In this case 'real name' refers to either the name on your Paypal account if you have logged in to Paypal or the name of the cardholder you have given if you do not log in to Paypal (some people may use a partner's card for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

PayPal need to offer reduced information purchasing for digital goods. It puts me off buying from some smaller sellers in general.

If theyre not posting a physical object, my home address should not be flashed around.

Home address is not shared, they collect it themselves as the billing address of the card but do not pass it on.

Advertisement