Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24hour Dive in Galway in aid of RNLI: 6th June -> 7th June

• 26-05-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

tank.jpg10.jpg

Hi all,

Our club, the NUIG/GMIT SubAqua Club, will be doing a 24hr dive in the Galway Atlantaquaria < The time has been brought forward a bit, it will now be from 12noon on Saturday until 12noon on Sunday. This is to accommodate an ROV demonstration in the tank just after!> We'll be collecting money on the day, all proceeds are in aid of the RNLI.

We will be broadcasting the dive LIVE via our website! - www.galwaydiving.com/24 :cool:

We are also accepting donations (Paypal) via that webpage which we'll pass onto RNLI.

If you're around Galway on the day, call in and give your support!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scubakid

Very good idea.. You need any divers?? Could possibly get 5 or 10 2* club divers up for the day. We'd be diving somewhere anyway so why not do it for charity!! Let me no anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I'd say we're good for divers! We usually do 1hour relays, those with dry suits will do a few hours over the day.

We did it last year too, in January... brrr. It was cold and very boring (especially during the night!) as divers are meant to keep movement to a minimum so as not to cloud up the tank. The angel shark and sting ray should keep us awake though!

It's not done in Open water no? We dived every single week between november and april!! With the weather now, we haven't been out in 3 weeks.. It's heartbreaking :(

No it's done in the large tank the in aquarium.

The tank is kept at sea temperature though, so we're at no advantage there! Try staying fairly motionless for 60minutes in January water in a wetsuit... you'll eventually feel it! ;)

We do all sorts to keep us entertained though....

Thats a clas idea!! Only spent 3 months diving in the semi dry and had to make the move..Couldn't hack it!! Can ppl come and watch den ya? Wheres dat aquarium? Cold sh*tty water is good for search training with the full face masks, dats about it.. Or else logging depth for grades. U rarely get a good dive in January!!

• Advertisement

scubakid wrote: »
    Can ppl come and watch den ya? Wheres dat aquarium?

They can indeed - that's the big plus with diving in the tank! The aquarium usually draws a good crowd for World Ocean Day and hopefully we'll have a good crowd in Salthill for the Volvo Ocean Race boats departure on the Saturday too.

You'll be able to come in and watch/donate during opening hours: 10am-6pm both days. We'll be diving from 2pm Sat until 2pm Sunday. You can also both watch the full 24hrs live online and donate via our website: www.galwaydiving.com/24 .

Atlantaquaria, our national aquarium, is in Salthill. Here's a map on their website showing the location.

scubakid wrote: »
    Cold sh*tty water is good for search training with the full face masks, dats about it.. Or else logging depth for grades. U rarely get a good dive in January!!

I disagree! I've had some great dives in January, mostly in Killary Harbour!

If I can't make it I'l def watch it and make a donation.. I'l make out a flyer and put it in the clubhouse tomorrow nite too.. My worst dive was on the 2nd january this year. Nil visibility at 32 metres and got a freeflow!! Not nice!! Ever dive the William Mannell off donegal? 30m wreck, dived it the 10th of april and got over 20m vis. It was unreal!!

Also could anyone here who's in a club pass on the info and the link! (www.galwaydiving.com/24).

We'll try get a list of club contacts from CFT so we can spread the news before the 6th.

You'll fly it.. It's no big deal.. Hardest part is goin down without the mask, it's sh*t!! When u planning on doin it? Get my PM?? SHe'l sort you out with e-mail addys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Woah didnt think ye could stay under that long.
    I know nothing about diving apart from muff have a diving team.

• Advertisement

It's overlapped 1hr dives, keeping at least 1 club member in the water.

Hi again.

Update on the dive: The time has been brought forward a bit, it will now be from 12noon on Saturday until 12noon on Sunday. This is to accommodate an ROV demonstration in the tank just after!

MOD: Can you edit my first post to reflect the time changes? Too late for me to edit...

Thanks! And remember donations and live webcast available via http://www.galwaydiving.com/24 ;)

webcast is now LIVE! :Dwww.galwaydiving.com/24

Please dotate generously! ;)

You can still catch the last 3hrs of the dive online! .... it's been a long night

We've already received €70 in paypal donations via that page so thanks to all who donated! The donation link will remain open for a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

ha, just seen this now. no way was i making the mistake of being brave with no gloves this year.

Advertisement