Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dor1971

Does anyone have details on the new footbridge etc across the canal re RCP Train station?

From what I can see (based on a visual from a previous post) there won’t be direct access from RCP to Ashington and beyond which would be a real negative.

I could be wrong but based on the visual I have seen the footbridge links RCP with the eastbound platform of the new station. There is then a second footbridge linking the eastbound and westbound platforms.

If this operates along the lines of the Ashtown Station we will have to buy a train ticket in order to exit the new station on the Ashington side of the tracks! This would be a real opportunity lost as access to the Ashington Green, Phoenix Park, Hole in the Wall, Plunketts, GAA, Navan Road Bus Corridor and more would come at a real price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I just looked it up there.

It's planning reference 2310/18.

There's a low bridge across the canal (like at Ashtown), then a footbridge across the actual tracks. It's not a case of up/down/up/down to get across. You cross the canal at just above street height then use a foot bridge to cross the tracks. In terms of visual impact at RCP it's a lot less then the original proposal as the bridge on our side is very low.

The steps are outside the platforms. At Ashtown station you don't need a ticket to access the footbridge. This is an unmanned station so access to the platform won't require a ticket any time. That's standard Irish rail policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

dor1971 wrote: »
    Does anyone have details on the new footbridge etc across the canal re RCP Train station?

From what I can see (based on a visual from a previous post) there won’t be direct access from RCP to Ashington and beyond which would be a real negative.

I could be wrong but based on the visual I have seen the footbridge links RCP with the eastbound platform of the new station. There is then a second footbridge linking the eastbound and westbound platforms.

If this operates along the lines of the Ashtown Station we will have to buy a train ticket in order to exit the new station on the Ashington side of the tracks! This would be a real opportunity lost as access to the Ashington Green, Phoenix Park, Hole in the Wall, Plunketts, GAA, Navan Road Bus Corridor and more would come at a real price!

That's a good question.
    I don't know the answer and can't find the detailed drawings for the station to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

That's a good question.
    I don't know the answer and can't find the detailed drawings for the station to check.

As per PhoenixParker the drawing shows that platform access is separate to the over-bridge.

PDF attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You can see the detailed drawings on planning permission 2310/18.

Go to Dublin City Councils planning search page and Put that in as the reference number. That brings up all the associated documents including drawings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 dor1971

@ Phoenix Parker and Random Access : Thanks.

I’ll bow to your superior planning app knowledge but I can’t see anything obvious on the plans that suggest the over railway line bridge won’t require us to buy a ticket for the train in order to exit the station on the westbound platform.

I haven’t been to Ashtown station in a while but if memory serves me correctly people need a ticket to exit the station on the westbound side (unless a barrier is left open/isn’t working).

But like I say you guys seem to understand the app/plan better than me I’ll go with your interpretation. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

Just moved into RCP, I'm in the apartments near centra.. Pure Telecom have just left after installing my new internet connection.
    The speed is not what is advertised and this is at 11am on a friday, i dread to think what it will be like at 11pm.

Have cablewatch improved at all, im seeing a lot of negative about them, wondering if they are worth a shout now? If i get the same contention on their 250mb line as im getting on pure's 100mb line ill be doing far better for 10 euro more a month.

I work from home a lot and a stable and fast internet is quite important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Landa2 wrote: »
    Just moved into RCP, I'm in the apartments near centra.. Pure Telecom have just left after installing my new internet connection.
    The speed is not what is advertised and this is at 11am on a friday, i dread to think what it will be like at 11pm.

Have cablewatch improved at all, im seeing a lot of negative about them, wondering if they are worth a shout now? If i get the same contention on their 250mb line as im getting on pure's 100mb line ill be doing far better for 10 euro more a month.

I work from home a lot and a stable and fast internet is quite important to me.

Depending on the type of connection, the line is probably still in some form of testing mode, I wouldn't write it off just yet. I know with the like of VDSL (over here in BT land) they say to give it a few days for the service to "settle".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I used Ronseal 10 year wood stain. Need to strip and sand first though.

Did you strip/sand the whole thing or just the sections that are wearing? If you only did sections then what colour did you use to match up to the existing layer. I want to redo the doors on the bin store.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 axlmac

Hi folks - I've noticed some mid terraces about the development with (I assume) bike boxes at the front opposite bin storage units. To those that have them can you let me know where you got them? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭janus83

maciektok wrote: »
    pm sent

Hi came across this and its the same error Im getting on our system in Naas, also a Ballymore development actually! Do you mind me asking what fixed this for you please?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pgav19

Hi,

We have moved into a Heron recently. The Air to Water heating system is working well so far....always have hot water and the temperature is kept at a constant.

I have a question about setting temperatures for different times though. We have all floors set to 19 degrees. Which is grand. Sometimes, the bedroom can be a bit cold at night. I'd like to be able to up the temperature by a few degrees for a couple of hours around bedtime. Is this possible?

I've looked through the operating manual and the heating "Schedule" option on the main unit doesn't seem to be available to me.

Just wondering if anyone has advise.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

pgav19 wrote: »
    Hi,

We have moved into a Heron recently. The Air to Water heating system is working well so far....always have hot water and the temperature is kept at a constant.

I have a question about setting temperatures for different times though. We have all floors set to 19 degrees. Which is grand. Sometimes, the bedroom can be a bit cold at night. I'd like to be able to up the temperature by a few degrees for a couple of hours around bedtime. Is this possible?

I've looked through the operating manual and the heating "Schedule" option on the main unit doesn't seem to be available to me.

Just wondering if anyone has advise.

Thanks

I don't believe its possible to do this unless you change the thermostats because it is the thermostat that controls the heat flow to the radiators that heats the zones.
    The thermostats are all basic manually controlled ones and dont have any feature that allows you to add a schedule or anything.

I have installed a Nest thermostat and it allows me to do things like this. They are a bit expensive however.
    Another possible option could be to try some of the other thermostats offered by EPH controls, they might have a schedule feature

e.g. https://www.ephcontrols.com/section/progammable-rf-thermostat-receiver-combipack2/

Both would require some rewiring/removal of the existing thermostat.

The general consensus with A2W is to not allow the temp to fluctuate a lot because its inefficient to heat the house from a much lower temp vs maintaining a constant one so even with a scheduled thermostat, it's best to avoid large variances. I do find the Nest good though for subtle changes like a slight increase of a degree or 2 in the morn for an hour or 2, or a slight decrease of a degree or 2 when no one is in the house for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

You don't need anything more complicated. The way the heating works is that it's supposed to be on all the time. The thermostats are then set to your liking on each level and the system will keep the house at that temp. It shouldn't need a boost.

It's way less efficient to have it time controlled. Give joule a call and ask them for confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Manion

As mentioned above, the most cost effective approach is to maintain a constant temperature. I believe the previously reference time was 1 hour to raise the temperature 5 degrees. Due to the BER rating once you raise the temperature it's going to take a long time it to drop back down again. When our heating stopped working last year it took a good 48 hours for the house to get "cold".

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    It's way less efficient to have it time controlled. Give joule a call and ask them for confirmation.

I discussed this with Joule before, it really depends on your needs and how you time control it. The important part is not to let your house temperature drop too much (max about 2 - 3 degrees) because the energy required to restore the temp would negate it.

For example, most people are out of the house for up to 50 % of the day during the week (i.e. at work for 9-10 hours of the day), so it's not so efficient that your house is maintaining a temp of say 20 degrees for all that time. You can save energy by dropping it by a degree or 2 for that long stretch so the zone(s) don't need to needlessly maintain that higher temp and constantly draw from the hot water tank into the zones, meaning the heat pump needs to kick in more.
    Same goes for a night time when there is no one in the down stairs zone all night, you can drop it by a degree or 2.

It's useful also in the OPs case where you just what a slight boost of heat sometimes during the day/night but you dont want to maintain that boost temp all the time (and maybe not so concerned with efficiency just a need).

Whether the savings is worth the cost/hassle though of replacing thermostats... its hard to know, I guess it depends!

Almost certainly not worth replacing the thermostats with smart ones just to have the temperature 2 degrees lower 9-5 Monday to Friday. Electricity bill in the heron runs to about 80 euro of which c20 is standing charge. Being extremely generous and assuming such a process would save 3% of my electricity usage that's just short of 1.8 Euros. 2 Nest thermostats cost c500 euro. It would take me just over 23 years to break even assuming i didn't need to pay someone to install them.

Funny enough, my electricity bill is alot cheaper than that, and I only have a Nest on one zone!! :)

Interesting assumptions but I think the savings are a little more than that when you factor in night time savings plus how Nest controls heating in general (its not as heavy handed as a standard thermostat, cuts heat prior to hitting target temp) but in any case I agree with you, I dont think a Nest is worth it if you are buying it primarily thinking it will save you loads of money and you have an a2w unit which is already pretty cheap to run.
    I think this is true also for any heating system a Nest is applied to because they all have a basic heating scheduler anyway on them (except a2w), so a Nest is just a fancier (and very expensive) scheduler.

For me, usage savings is a small part but its the other stuff you get with it that make it a little more compelling and why I got one to try out.

e.g. More granular temp control + knowing actual room temp, control remotely via app, a scheduler (I dont want the house to always be the same temp all the time, like the OP), actual usage stats, room humidity stats, possible to use smart TRVs on rads linked to Nest to control room level heating, a screen that displays stuff like weather outside (which is surprisingly useful in the dark AMs before I leave for work as the screen turns on when you walk by automatically), it knows when no one is home. etc.
    Plus you can build smart triggers off it. e.g. no one in house, turn lights off/on. humidity too high, turn on a dehumidifier etc if you are into that

I also know things like my heating came on for a total of 5 hours in all of September, and I can compare that to similar houses (similar size, rating + heating sytem) via a Nest report to see how my energy usage is.

Those kinds of things are useful and interesting that you might factor in to a decision to buy a smart thermostat (or not if you don't really care).

I could definitely see a comfort level argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Manion wrote: »
    Almost certainly not worth replacing the thermostats with smart ones just to have the temperature 2 degrees lower 9-5 Monday to Friday. Electricity bill in the heron runs to about 80 euro of which c20 is standing charge. Being extremely generous and assuming such a process would save 3% of my electricity usage that's just short of 1.8 Euros. 2 Nest thermostats cost c500 euro. It would take me just over 23 years to break even assuming i didn't need to pay someone to install them.

80 per month or per billing period (usually 2 months)? Mine is a lot more than this, even when making an effort to turn things off when not being used.

• Advertisement

Just checked and it's closer to 60 euro a month during summer and 80ish during winter. Used 529 units in a two month period last bill. Maybe the turning off is costing you money. We didn't take any of the builders appliances however. Shocking energy ratings and have LEDs throughout.

Forumsie wrote: »
    We got the kenetico system that we saw at ideal homes show. Think it cost around 1600 plus another 200 for drinking water filter tap. Expensive yes, it's meant to be the rolls royce of water softeners and we've had no problems but a cheaper one might be just as good. The water is beautifully soft and there are no limescale marks anywhere. When we first moved in we had to scrub and I mean scrub the lime off the shower doors every week. I don't know if it's an essential item or not but we're happy we got it for the longer term with the A2W heating system and the new appliances etc

How are you finding this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Do we need to do anything with property tax this year for new builds?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

Hi Cronos

No its not till next year. We looked into this because we thought it was this year too, but this is what we have been told

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jocefella

Hi Guys,

I am living in one of the houses in Royal Canal Park. I am looking at putting a water softener into the house because of the hard water in the area. Just wondering has anybody in the area installed a water softener and how have the found the results ? Or any advice would be greatly appreciated ?

I'm trying to help out the younger brother who is a new neighbour to ye all there in RCP. He's in a Heron iirc (3 story, 4 bed). He asking me about connection options but the info he's providing is limited.

I'm under assumption that all these shiny new houses are cabled up and will have a patch panel somewhere e.g. utility room. Is this the case? His router has been installed on the middle floor and in a picture he sent me I can see what looks to be an ethernet port on the wall - adds to the theory that there's a patch panel somewhere. Could anybody enlighten me as to where this may be, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johnny66179

theteal wrote: »
    I'm trying to help out the younger brother who is a new neighbour to ye all there in RCP. He's in a Heron iirc (3 story, 4 bed). He asking me about connection options but the info he's providing is limited.

I'm under assumption that all these shiny new houses are cabled up and will have a patch panel somewhere e.g. utility room. Is this the case? His router has been installed on the middle floor and in a picture he sent me I can see what looks to be an ethernet port on the wall - adds to the theory that there's a patch panel somewhere. Could anybody enlighten me as to where this may be, please?

All the cabling for each room goes back to the utility room. Since at least in the earlier phases the cat6 cable was just left behind a closed face plate I got an electrician in to install a RJ45 wall plate and crimp the cables. In the utility room he installed a small Ethernet switch. The broadband router is installed in the utility room and feeds this Ethernet switch. There should be a couple of posts about the process earlier in the thread.

All the cabling for each room goes back to the utility room. Since at least in the earlier phases the cat6 cable was just left behind a closed face plate I got an electrician in to install a RJ45 wall plate and crimp the cables. In the utility room he installed a small Ethernet switch. The broadband router is installed in the utility room and feeds this Ethernet switch. There should be a couple of posts about the process earlier in the thread.

Thank you. Could I trouble you for a picture of where the cables run to please?

The only pic I got from the brother is attached and it's not showing me much.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johnny66179

theteal wrote: »
    Thank you. Could I trouble you for a picture of where the cables run to please?

The only pic I got from the brother is attached and it's not showing me much.

Attached is a picture, all the cabling from around the house is going into the black Etherent switch. The Vodafone broadband router feeds this.

• Advertisement

Attached is a picture, all the cabling from around the house is going into the black Etherent switch. The Vodafone broadband router feeds this.

Thank you. And originally the cabling was left unterminated behind a blank faceplate somewhere around that location?

Edit: I think I can see the opening in the plasterboard beneath your switch.

Advertisement