Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,917 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And don't forget that many of these shows of culture receive taxpayers funding.

We are paying for these hate fests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Highlights from previous years include seeing a motorist driving into gathered crowds. (repeatedly)
    He confused Voiture with Culture :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Lads and ladies don’t be fooling yourselves.

If there was even 3 pallets stacked on top of each other in West Belfast or the Bogside and it was decided by the authorities to get rid of them,

the full weight of the British war machine would be brought to bear down on it.

Air land sea total 360 degrees solution.

Including mass civilian casualties if felt required by the “top brass”.

Then denial and deflection for 30-50 years until the truth comes out

Plus ça change....

Same sh1t different day

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Trouble on the way come the 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 16 braidman

there'll be a few Tyrone jerseys on the bonfire for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The bonfires are a bit stupid and are obviously an attempt to thumb the nose at the government and the other side. But it's much better than actual terrorism.

I'd be much happier if this is the way people blow off steam a few times a year rather than being ready for war

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jesus, I knew they were big, but that's frickin insane! What's wrong these people? Whatever happened to creating a normal bonfire? They are dangerous enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

If there was even 3 pallets stacked on top of each other in West Belfast or the Bogside and it was decided by the authorities to get rid of them,

British War machine, mass civilian casualties, air, land and sea 360° solution to dismante some pallets :cool:
    Far too dramatic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Seanachai

The English really knew what they were doing dumping them over here, they're like some bunch that were brought in from Europe for some war or other in the Middle Ages and then they became surplus to requirements. The prods from my neck of the woods tend to be very insular, but they have some sense of balance about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Plus ça change....

Same sh1t different day

Hyperbole aside, I don't think that's true. The government treats both sides with kid gloves. Just look at all the smuggling thru allow at the border. Keeping those people away from violence is a priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Noveight wrote: »
    Mickey Harte shouldn’t have apologized for the team singing ‘Ra tunes on the bus.

Of course he should have. The team should have a bit of cop on. Respect is a two way street.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Seanachai wrote: »
    The English really knew what they were doing dumping them over here, they're like some bunch that were brought in from Europe for some war or other in the Middle Ages and then they became surplus to requirements. The prods from my neck of the woods tend to be very insular, but they have some sense of balance about them.
    Ya can’t build them bonfires without Balance !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's great their employers give them the time off to build the tower of pallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Someone earlier referred to how these people in East Belfast etc are ignored by unionist politicians but how same politicians pander to them via silence regarding bonfires

You have to remember that loyalists are a people who want very little, they want to slag off their neighbours religion and emblems but that's all that they want.

It's a similar situation to how the republican party in America pander to the southern trailer park voter demographic via nods to the bible etc while sending their jobs to China

To further the point, the southern red necks are Scots Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

f82c9imyr1931.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

I have a wedding that day and I have bought the brightest orange tie I could find, I'm expecting one of my cousins to turn up in an orange suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Those bonfire pyres did not go up overnight. The authorities should have dismantled them early on, as soon as the size they would become was apparent. They're out in the open FFS. The fact they did nothing tells you everything you want to know about what's wrong with that part of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

one solution (if it can be done) is to fine any business who hand pallets out to these knob heads. Some kind of system were the business pays to get them and recieves a refund when they are returned needs to be put in place. Any business that gives them out is basically burning cash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Sadly taking pallets out of circulation won't help, they'll just burn other materials (tyres and construction waste)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If businesses don’t hand them over they would have a bonfire in their own yards

Tyres are not used now due to the climate emergency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think it was in Lisburn one time the loyalists had a massive pile with tricolours ,pictures of the Pope etc all set to go and a few boys snuck in a few nights before the 12th and torched it.Nobody got to enjoy it except a few firemen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

_Brian wrote: »
    Went past that on Sunday.
    Mother of god it’s enormous, bigger each year.

The fear of being gradually outnumbered grows for Loyalist Unionists every year sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If businesses don’t hand them over they would have a bonfire in their own yards

Tyres are not used now due to the climate emergency

It appears that some companies are handing over the tyres to the bonfire builders to avoid paying the fee for tyre disposal.

The Nolan Show
    https://audioboom.com/channels/419722.rss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Seanachai

150yrs too late maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The extremists on both sides who build these things are complete knack bags but unfortunately there seems to be a hell of a lot of that sort of people up North

'Both sides' my arse. This is a unionist thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 braidman

the knob heads on the other side will soon be building their bonfires to mark the anniversary of internment - one apes the other

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Republicans light bonfires in August to mark internment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

caff wrote: »

Republicans light bonfires in August to mark internment
    But do they deliberately try to March through loyalist areas playing republican tunes and chanting sectarian slogans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

But do they deliberately try to March through loyalist areas playing republican tunes and chanting sectarian slogans?

They shoot journalists

Advertisement