Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Describe Ireland's Youth & Culture

• 15-08-2002 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

What is Ireland's food and langauge like? Which Country is it most similar to?

What type of Music do the Young people of Ireland listen to? What is the night life like? What sports do we play, media, literature, clothes....

Which country are the Irish youth most similar to..?

Where will Irish Youth & Culture go in 10 years time?

Lots of comments Please!!!!

What is the Irish youth & culture like?? 128 votes

Germanic: Karl Marx, Beer Gardens, Frankfurters, Falco Music, German Bahaus & Gothic Cathedrals
    0% 0 votes
    Brit Popular: David Becks, Soccer, Fish n Chips, Corrie St East Ender, BritPop + Spice Girls
    6% 8 votes
    Republican USA: Texan Steak, Big cars, Country Music, Country Ranches
    71% 91 votes
    Brit Posh: Georgian +Anglican buildings, Cups of Tea, BBC TV, Princess Diana
    0% 1 vote
    French Popular: Fort, French Wine, Vanessa Paradis, French Cafes
    7% 9 votes
    USA City: 2-Pac, NewYork Nicks, Hot Dogs, Baseball and American football, Da hood
    1% 2 votes
    Russian Folk: Trotsky, Vodka, Kuznetsov, Musorgsky, Russian Ballad Music, Rural Communities
    6% 8 votes
    Portugese Algreian : Kaoma, Zeroula, Arabic Music, Mediterranean lifestyles, Flamenco
    5% 7 votes
    Canadian: Ice skating & Hockey, Wine, Bellow, McLuhan, Mixed Culture, Quebec, Wildlife & Native Forests
    1% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Ireland's culture today can best be described as "Brit-Pop"

That's what I voted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

There's two kinds: Irish culture and the kind that's for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

Brit Posh:

What sticks in my mind were all those "Oiie-rish" people crying over Dianna, and the Union Jack flown at 1/2 mast .

You should have added BIG-Broyther to the Brit Popular Vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Keep on Trekin

I wanted to Vote for Atari Jag

Sometimes I think Ireland has no culture

Other times I think it's cities are very like Cardiff/Swansea in Wales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

irish youth culture:

ppl who love Louis Walsh and all that rolls out of his shed ("cos its good music and u can't argue with that..." - yeah, sure).

ppl who love anything but..

ppl who know what pubs are for.. - ppl who don't...

the good and the fuKin bad(and the ugly)

ppl wot know wot life is for....ppl who don't.

those are my ideas - didn't vote cos we aren't really like another country - thats what makes them foreign and us not. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I thinks its a cross between Germanic and brit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Tbh we're alot like brit-pop, but the most appealing seems to be Canadian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 pika

I voted brit just because the food in the other ones are ****e ;) naw I would say brit but without the spicegirls as they are slags

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It can be summed up in one word, unfortunately the censor won't allow me use that word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

In General

Good Point: Unlike americans, Irish people know themselves, they have a strong identity, family, and they know where they come from a have knowledge of their county and province's history, lifestyle...

Bad Point: Irish people have no culture whatsoever except for a few people in Kerry, Donegal,Conemara still having the ability to speak the Native language, playing Reels , Hornpipes, or able to dance. Irish culture & customs are dead.
    Irish culture today is either American or British, but mainly British.

I think Australians & Canadians have a stronger culture than theIrish, the Australians don't watch Liverpool or Leeds United everyday, they don't talk about Brookside at work, and they don't hang around fish n chip shops.
    Take the Australians for instance.They play their own sports ( Rugby, Aussie Rules..) they watch their own TV channels, and
    they have their own literature and lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

This is the most stupid topic ever....

And BTW I go for Germanic...

Oktoberfest!!!

Most Popular Sport: Not Hurling...The most flags, jerseys, bought....games watched are English Premiership Soccer Matches.

Most popular Irish literature in school/university:Not it's not Bram Stoker or James Joyce...it's Dickens, Beckett an Irish man that rejected his Irish roots, Shakesphere

Best Tv: Highest TV ratings in Ireland come from Eastenders and Corination Street figures

Pubs Nightlife and Beer: Pubs and Nightclubs close at almost the same time as in England. Irish people drink the same as the English...Larger and not German Beer, German beer actually tatses good. However Irish drink more Stout and Ale than the English.

Frequently Read Material: happens to be the Star the mirror and the Sun....All British Tabloids

Most Popular Music: Not the Dubliners or Christy Moore... It's Brit POP

Best Rugby Team: The British Lions mostly English Rugby players which for some strange reason they call them the Irish lions in Ireland. But I suppose this some from the "adopted Irish syndrome" just like the Oasis Brothers.

Ha Ha

Ireland has no Culture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

navel contemplating goth kids - straight from the 'burbs of the good old us of a.

tracksuite wearing, overly aggressive spanners - council estates in england.

d4 daddy's girls and rugby playing repressed homosexuals - middle england throwbacks.

not much irish in there is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

The culture mentioned here is only the culture in the big cities, well in fact Dublin. In rural places the culture is alot different.

Mostly ( 95% ): Brit POP
    Some: Brit POSH
    Slightly: USA CIty & Germanic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Agreed, its a stupid topic.

We are most like the english due to colonisation and geographical location. However, like anywhere, the irish have unique traits which set them apart from other nations.

The topic is stupid, but not as stupid as some of the replies.
    Originally posted by TetsuoHashimoto
    I think Australians & Canadians have a stronger culture than theIrish, the Australians don't watch Liverpool or Leeds United everyday, they don't talk about Brookside at work, and they don't hang around fish n chip shops.
    Take the Australians for instance.They play their own sports ( Rugby, Aussie Rules..) they watch their own TV channels, and
    they have their own literature and lifestyle.

Are you on crack? Australias most popular sports are foriegn sports : Rugby union, Rugby League and Cricket. The small minority that play AFL (aussie rules) are confined mostly to a single province. This is not the case in Ireland, where two native sports are popular throughout the nation. Australians like us watch Mr Murdochs TV channles as well as thier own.

Your ascertion that they have thier own literature and lifestyle (and by extension we dont) is ludicrous. The Irish have a huge literary tradition that you seem to have omitted in your second post. Your concept of what is irish literature seems skewed anyway, with Stoker being your first example.

The lions are a team that play as a touring side, not a real team. Munster and Ulster have had very successful european rugby teams

Also, FYI the english drink a lot more Ale than we do (probably a lot more stout too, dont know the figures)
    Ireland has no culture
    Ha Ha

I would argue that we do, but whats so funny about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Bad Point: Irish people have no culture whatsoever except for a few people in Kerry, Donegal,Conemara still having the ability to speak the Native language, playing Reels , Hornpipes, or able to dance. Irish culture & customs are dead.

I believe there are also 8 people in a small village in North western Sligo who have culture also .. but I can't be sure :rolleyes:

Dustaz made the point well. I think you just have a fish&chips on your shoulder over Ireland not working out as well for you, because I can assure you there is a very strong culture to be found in this country if you look for it. Peronally I agree with you in the sense I have no time for brit pop culture, big brother and soap operas etc etc. but it is easily avoidable.

As for lifestyle (which you seem to mesh with culture) - I love the lifestyles that can be found and lived in this country. In any case as I mentioned in another post, last I checked Ireland had no barriers in place to prevent immigrants leaving the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Republican USA

I disagree with Dustaz, It’s an interesting topic. I think many Oi-rish actually admire the English whether they be Robbie Williams, Angela Griffin,Sam Fox or David Beckham, many Oi-Rish wish they were British.

I’ve discussed this with many of my workmates. Some of them from foreign countries and yes some former British colonies. Montreal, Milan, Hongkong, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Gijon….

I think Dustaz’s analogy is wrong. If anyone's on Crack it's Dustaz.

Many of these places have their own lifestyle and culture that is very different to the one in England.

• Advertisement

Do Italians support German and Spainish soccer teams because some Italian soccer stars play for Barcelona or B.Munich?
    No the Italians have their own culture and soccer teams and don't need to adopt foreign ones.

Yes as long as you have Satelite you can watch Murdochs Channels anywhere in the World!!
    But What TV Channels do Spanish people mostly watch, would they be Spanish?
    Candaians well Canadain of course!!!
    Now what about the Irish, what does the average household in Ireland have.? Answer British of course!!!!

I would agree with this Part of Dustaz's post:

"Irish have a huge literary tradition"

that they seem to have omitted in all our schools and universities.

Time to admit were almost the same as any other part of the British Isles.

When talking or listening to the average Irish conversation, what 4 things will actually be said?

1Were you watching Brookside last night???

2Did you hear the Oasis/Steps/Brit-Pop tunes???

3You see the Liverpool match yesterday????

4Wanna go for a pint so we can talk about all of the above again!!!

I mean how many Irish players actually play for Leeds, Manchester City, Sunderland or any of those crappy English Clubs??

Maybe only 2 or 3 Irish players I bet.

Actually these board and forums could represent part of Irish culture!

Can you guess boards.ie's most visited Sports Thread?

Angling Rugby or Soccer

What was the most popular Thread Viewed or Posted?

Not sure, but it may be Big Brother

Music?

Some good stuff but mostly Brit POPular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Could we have a category 'impressionable beyond the point of being funny'?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I mean how many Irish players actually play for Leeds, Manchester City, Sunderland or any of those crappy English Clubs??

Maybe only 2 or 3 Irish players I bet.

You are kidding me aren't you? Trolling is an art that you just don't seem to have mastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Dustaz, ignore this man, he seems to like posting tripe in order to get a response and as has been displayed in other threads this lad has such a big chip on his shoulder he doesn't need to go to the chippy after the bevy's when he can just slice off another couple of inches only to watch it grow back even bigger than before the next day.

All these pathetic perceptions you have of the Irish as we are would seem to be nothing more than grudges which you hold against society for some pathetic reason which remains yet undisclosed.

Perhaps you should find some way of venting your frustration/overload in your train of thought by getting laid or doing something physically demanding because you are mentally challenged, I can tell :p

That or he's another foreigner who's moved in and isn't mad about us, in which case he should just go home and stop snivelling and criticising anything and everything he can. Or get on with it and deal with it. It's a hard life innit :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Brian Bennette

Canada a 51st State of America ???

Ok Admittedly Canadians watch quite an amount of American TV and listen to American music, but how many Irish youngsters watch, Friends or listen to R N’ B??

Quite a lot I bet.

In Canada we have and watch mainly our own television networks, we have our own Customs, and Cultures.
    Only 60% of Canadian use English as their mother Tongue, the Rest speak French and Inuit/Native languages. How many people speak the Irish language every day, ….? About 5% I bet.

If Canada can be still called the 51st State, then Ireland is definitely part of the British Isles.

PS
    How many Irish people play for Manchester United?? Because it seems to be the most common tshirt around here.
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

2 in the first team.

Since when did soccer become such an integral part of 'culture'?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

JarJar blinks - do you have two login's - JarJar blinks and JarJar bink
    ?

Or is it someone else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Brian Bennette

Since it became Part of every "Irish" news broadcast, since it's watched in every Irish Public-House, Since watching the English Premiership has become an Irish pastime and it's Ireland's largest sport. Since it gets pages of coverage in every Tabloid and Newspaper, Since the Manchester United T-Shirts are the most sold item in Irish Fashion......

If we Canadians are a 51st State

Then Irish are trully Part of the British Isles!!

2 Players, HAHA

That's stupid,
    You're saying
    Irish people support the town Manchester City with donations, jersey purchases, booking tickets.... because 2 Irish people happen to play for the team.

Advertisement