Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heating oil big drop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Brent oil is getting stronger slowly but surely and as well as adding on the new carbon tax at midnight a lot of places have increased their prices again in the last hour or so.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

.38c for 500l in West Cork.

0[00quote="Rows Grower;113326887"]Brent oil is getting stronger slowly but surely and as well as adding on the new carbon tax at midnight a lot of places have increased their prices again in the last hour or so.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

€407 for 1100L for Jones oil Ballina Mayo..today. office told the bro in law she expects it to go down nxt wk but he was out and cudnt wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

homah_7ft wrote: »
    I just paid €174.99 for 500L of oil from top oil using Gaa20. Was by far the cheapest I could find for Wexford.
    Thanks for that I just ordered 600 litres for €226, I'm sorted now until almost christmas:D

Kellehers are gone up again, 420 per 1,000 now, was 370 during the week.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Any expectation on the prices to go back down again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

homer1982 wrote: »
    Any expectation on the prices to go back down again?

No Chance.

Oil Prices have been steadily rising over the last 10 days. Brent is now back over $30

Add in the 1.6c/litre carbon tax and you will be €450/1000l again in a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Got 1000Ltrs last friday in meath 320

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Vego wrote: »
    Got 1000Ltrs last friday in meath 320

County Meath seems to be one of the cheaper priced counties regarding home heating oil prices. A lot changed on Friday 1st May - this was the day that last October's Budget measure came into effect resulting in an increase to the Carbon Fuel Levy applied to Solid Fuels like kerosene oil, gas, coal, briquettes etc; All suppliers prices would have increased to reflect this but oil prices already seem to have hit their rock bottom and are rising more than the carbon levy amount. A 1,000 Litres fill was set to increase by €16.00 approx. due to Carbon Levy so other factors may inflate prices further as demand will increase when countries resume normal activity once again. Hard to know if they will drop further in the short-medium term.

Latest best quote for Meath as per below:
    1000 Litres
    €342.00
    (around 34.2c a litre)
    Meath quote
    Price as of 5 May 2020, 6 PM

Local Fuels Ltd. are an irish run company supplying the following areas:
    Dublin / Meath / Westmeath / Roscommon East / North Wicklow / Louth
    Prices displayed are for on-line orders only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

quotes i got today by phone for 1000l kerosene:

Peader O'Keefe - 399
    Topoil - 380 ( 375 online with code GAA20)
    Clare Oil - 440
    Tara - 420
    Corrib - 390
    Cosgrave - 380 - was 400 to start with, but reduced to 380 to match topoil after a bit of haggling.

• Advertisement

Kellehers and Corrib gone up again now 440.

Lots of places around the country gone up in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

It's great to see a bit of competition still going on in Kildare (lots of them come to west Wicklow).

Cheapest on https://www.cheapestoil.ie/heating-oil-prices/Kildare is €359 for 1000L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Walshe's Racecourse Road ,Roscommon town. 31.9 cent at the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Herby12

When prices going up they are very quick even when they still holding cheap oil in their tanks but when is going down it takes at least 7 to 10 days amazing.

Herby12 wrote: »
    When prices going up they are very quick even when they still holding cheap oil in their tanks but when is going down it takes at least 7 to 10 days amazing.

Can you show what you are talking about or have you just made this up.

Media screams when price drops, but say nothing when prices rise unless they jump considerably.

Prices started to rise on 23rd April, fell a little 27th/28th, and then continued to rise to over $30 by last Monday and steady since.

Carbon tax added 1.6c last Friday. That goes on immediately.

Suppliers hold about 3 days supply in their tanks.

If you read this thread you'll find prices dropped on average 2 weeks after oil price changes and similarly, they are moving up about 2 weeks after oil changes.

Hard to argue with facts.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Can you show what you are talking about or have you just made this up.

Media screams when price drops, but say nothing when prices rise unless they jump considerably.

Prices started to rise on 23rd April, fell a little 27th/28th, and then continued to rise to over $30 by last Monday and steady since.

Carbon tax added 1.6c last Friday. That goes on immediately.

Suppliers hold about 3 days supply in their tanks.

If you read this thread you'll find prices dropped on average 2 weeks after oil price changes and similarly, they are moving up about 2 weeks after oil changes.

Hard to argue with facts.

You need to read the thread yourself lad, what he said is spot on.

You need to read the thread yourself lad, what he said is spot on.

But except for the carbon tax, prices have not really moved.

Many places still doing €359-€379 for 1000 litres. Those suppliers were all €339-€369 last week.

Here's facts

Average oil prices €24 ($26) during April, that's 15c a litre.
    Refining even at a tight margin is about 7c (normally 9-10c), carbon tax 5.6c

That's 27.6c

Vat 13.5%

You are at 31.2c

That's the net cost price from the port Inc vat

So at €359, a distributor has a gross profit before any costs of a "whopping" €41 (€47 less the vat)

You won't get rich on that.

But except for the carbon tax, prices have not really moved.

Many places still doing €359-€379 for 1000 litres. Those suppliers were all €339-€369 last week.

Here's facts

Average oil prices €24 ($26) during April, that's 15c a litre.
    Refining even at a tight margin is about 7c (normally 9-10c), carbon tax 5.6c

That's 27.6c

Vat 13.5%

You are at 31.2c

That's the net cost price from the port Inc vat

So at €359, a distributor has a gross profit before any costs of a "whopping" €41 (€47 less the vat)

You won't get rich on that.

As I said, you need to read the thread.

I bought 2,000 litres on the 29th at 37 cents from Kelleher's who are one of (if not the) biggest suppliers in Munster.

Since then they have increased their prices on three different occasions, to 40 cent, 42 cent and 44 cent.

They made three price increases in 7 days.

When oil prices were dropping steadily some sellers did drop their prices accordingly, but they were the exception.

Kelleher's didn't drop their price for three weeks.

Herby12 is dead right when he says they are quick to increase and very slow to drop.

You're trying to come across as some kind of authority on oil costings and you can't even grasp that.

Anyone following the thread can see the facts you are coming out with for costings are baloney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I have absolutely no intention of getting into a debate and I'm not saying that I'm challenging your figures. However, just a day or two before the carbon tax increase, I had 3000 litres delivered for €900.00. By your calculations my supplier did so at a loss. Is that your understanding too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

re oil
    rocket up,
    feather down.

simple as that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Filled up before the gouging back up in price. Delighted. I'll watch closely for a top up price that will see me through a tough winter financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Lack of supply is the biggest issue at the moment.

stuba wrote: »
    Lack of supply is the biggest issue at the moment.

On the ball, people are filling every available container all over the country.

Kelleher's are doing a maximum of 400 litres deliveries at the moment, they can't keep up with demand.

I have absolutely no intention of getting into a debate and I'm not saying that I'm challenging your figures. However, just a day or two before the carbon tax increase, I had 3000 litres delivered for €900.00. By your calculations my supplier did so at a loss. Is that your understanding too?

If you read my post I worked on average prices for April and the higher carbon tax.

You certainly purchased at the lowest point that reflected the short term drop to $20/$22 which happened about 10-12 days previously. Nicely timed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Most suppliers in Cork area currently quoting in the region of: €230 for 500 Litres and €440 for 1,000 Litres Kerosene Home Heating Oil apart from Amber Oil which is displaying at €225 for 500Ltrs and €430 for 1,000 Litres.

However; there are actually a few Other suppliers also quoting lower rates

TOP Oil
    1,000 Litres Kerosene Home Heating Oil in Cork for €410.05 incl VAT for Online orders via website: www.Top.ie -
    N.B: Enter Promo Code: " SPRING20 "in the relevant Promo Code field in order to get €20.00 Discounted Price for 1,000 Litres.
    Note: TOP Oil does not currently display rates for County Cork via Cheapestoil.ie price comparison website.

www.Top.ie

Dan Oil only permitting a Maximum Quantity 500Ltrs orders (This is a temporary quota limit)
    The cost of X 500 litres of Kerosene is €212.81 in Cork (includes VAT and Delivery)
    https://www.danoil.ie
    Note: Dan Oil does not currently display rates for County Cork via Cheapestoil.ie price comparison website.

TEXOIL
    1,000 Litres Kerosene Home Heating Oil
    €424.72 including VAT
    OR;
    500 Litres Kerosene Home Heating Oil
    €219.74 including VAT
    Note: TEXOIL does not currently display rates for County Cork via Cheapestoil.ie price comparison website.

https://texoil.valero.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

€400 for 1000L today from Shreelawn Oil, Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Topped up the tank €220 / 500l Naughton's Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

1000L kildare 353 euros

Capital oil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

1000L kildare 353 euros

Capital oil

Did you buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭tmh106

Prices gone up a bit since last post here. What's the best anyone has got in Galway city? I'm seeing €509 for 1000L from Top

Advertisement